2013 Seahawks mock draft

cover-2

Reaction score
1st round: (WR) Markus Wheaton 6-0 180 Oregon St
Wheaton’s acceleration & speed are elite. He can take the top off a defense and he would provide Russell Wilson a consistent playmaker at WR.

2nd round: (LB) Christian Jones 6-4 240 lbs. Florida St
Jones played weak-side LB for Florida St; he is only a junior and has yet to declare, but if he does he fits the size/speed that Coach Carroll wants on defense. His speed really flashed in his bowl game vs. Northern Illinois. Jones is an elite athlete with great acceleration and great speed. Jones is in the same mold physically and athletically as Georgia (LB) Alec Ogletree. He has the sideline-to-sideline speed to chase down ball carriers. Jones has flashed as a natural pass rusher when asked to blitz the QB, although he was rarely asked to do it. His combination of size, acceleration, speed, agility, body control, and long arms scream pass rushing stud; he would be lethal weapon on defense for Coach Carroll to use in multiple ways. Here is a quick article on him that was done prior to this year;
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1274 ... ch-in-2012

3rd round: (TE) Ryan Griffin 6-6 247 lbs. UConn
Griffin is a highly underrated player and is one of the better all-around TE’s in the draft. He is a good athlete, with good speed, and he is a effecitve blocker.

4th round: (WR) Chris Harper 6-1 230 lbs. Kansas St
Harper is a tough, physical, big body WR.

5th round: (WR/TE) Vance McDonald 6-5 260 lbs. Rice
McDonald switched from WR to TE his senior year. He is a project as a TE, but he is a proven receiver and showed a want-to/willingness when it came to blocking. We could draft him as a WR or continue to develop him as a TE.

6th round: (OT) Viston Painter 6-6 304 lbs. Virginia Tech
Painter had a great game against Florida St (DE) Bjeorn Werner which is enough for me to select him in the 6th round.

7th round: (QB) Brendon Kay 6-4 237 lbs. Cincinnati
Kay does not have a lot of playing experience, but he could be a guy worth developing into a quality 2nd string QB. Nice arm, good athlete, & he has experience running the zone-read option.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Yuck! No thanks to Wheaton and no thanks to a LB in the 2nd.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I really like Wheaton but I'm guessing there will be better options there. I'd be thrilled with Wheaton in the 2nd round, not so much in the first. Dont know much about any of those other prospects, but I do think we draft a LB somewhere in the 1st three rounds. I also think yo'ure missing some D'line help.

kearly

Reaction score
Hey cover-2, I've long wondered if you are the same poster that goes by cover2 in the SDB comments and/or fieldgulls. Same person?

Great job getting some new names out there.

I do think Wheaton has a shot at going in the late 1st- with so many good WRs I guarantee there will be surprises this year and Wheaton could be one of them. I hope it's not by us, but I do think a team could take him that early. Hopkins is the only WR I'd be thrilled to get in round one. Coleman and Patterson justify 1st round picks too especially if Pete sees them as guys with a lot of untapped upside.

My only disagreement with you is on Christian Jones speed. Watching his compilation against Duke on youtube, his speed looks average, and NFL draft scouts 40 time projection is in the 4.6 to 4.8 range. I think Pete is looking for LBs who run between 4.45 and 4.55. That's not a long list of LBs, so I fully expect guys like Ogletree and Brown to be big considerations early. There are a few speedy LBs later in the draft (Jelani Jenkins, etc), but their tape is very mediocre so I'd really like to see Seattle grab a LB early, unless Hopkins is there.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":pxjlvxsk said:
Hey cover-2, I've long wondered if you are the same poster that goes by cover2 in the SDB comments and/or fieldgulls. Same person?

Great job getting some new names out there.

I do think Wheaton has a shot at going in the late 1st- with so many good WRs I guarantee there will be surprises this year and Wheaton could be one of them. I hope it's not by us, but I do think a team could take him that early. Hopkins is the only WR I'd be thrilled to get in round one. Coleman and Patterson justify 1st round picks too especially if Pete sees them as guys with a lot of untapped upside.

My only disagreement with you is on Christian Jones speed. Watching his compilation against Duke on youtube, his speed looks average, and NFL draft scouts 40 time projection is in the 4.6 to 4.8 range. I think Pete is looking for LBs who run between 4.45 and 4.55. That's not a long list of LBs, so I fully expect guys like Ogletree and Brown to be big considerations early. There are a few speedy LBs later in the draft (Jelani Jenkins, etc), but their tape is very mediocre so I'd really like to see Seattle grab a LB early, unless Hopkins is there.

Yeah I'm the same guy that goes by cover2 on SDB, but I don't post on fieldguls. I enjoy finding players that are off the radar and I record and watch a ton of games throughout the year.

On Christian Jones, I saw that NFL draft scouts has him with a slow 40-yard time but I'm not sure how accurate their info is on 40-yard times. I like that you looked into Jones, but I found that trying to scout players on youtube just is not the same as scouting televised games my 40-inch TV. I have scouted a lot of the big name LB's and from what I could tell Jones speed looks to be on the upper tier, I'm guessing at least 4.55 40 time. On a side note if you want to see a LB with great straight-line speed check out Missouri LB Zaviar Gooden. The only problem with him is that he is stiff, can't change direction, and his instincts are below average; he is a smaller version of Aaron Curry.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Seattle_Stunna_MD":233d5et9 said:
Is the 7th Round pick of a QB assuming Flynn is traded?

No. It's more based on the fact that we only have two QB's on the roster. After this year Flynn only has two years left on his deal and after that I'm sure he is going to try to get a chance to start with a different team. IMO its smart to develop young QB's even if he is a late round guy and going to be the 3rd string QB.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Donk70":3f2n7679 said:
No D Lineman?

I wanted to put a DT on there, but I also wanted to get (WR/TE) Vance McDonald name out there. He is an intriguing player and has the unique qualities that Pete Carrol likes. McDonald size and the fact that he was a WR for three years makes him interesting.

I would have mocked Louisiana Tech (DT) Jon'al White to us in the 5th or 6th round. White is not a big name guy, but I think he could be a role player for us. He is 6-1 300 lbs., he has shown to be disruptive in the backfield. I don't think he was a starter, but more of a rotation guy.

kearly

Reaction score
cover-2":3u53w5sm said:
On Christian Jones, I saw that NFL draft scouts has him with a slow 40-yard time but I'm not sure how accurate their info is on 40-yard times. I like that you looked into Jones, but I found that trying to scout players on youtube just is not the same as scouting televised games my 40-inch TV. I have scouted a lot of the big name LB's and from what I could tell Jones speed looks to be on the upper tier, I'm guessing at least 4.55 40 time. On a side note if you want to see a LB with great straight-line speed check out Missouri LB Zaviar Gooden. The only problem with him is that he is stiff, can't change direction, and his instincts are below average; he is a smaller version of Aaron Curry.

While it's true that field speed can be tough to judge, one thing that doesn't deceive easily is closing speed, and Jones didn't have much of it. Should be interesting to see where he runs at in the combine, but I would be pretty surprised if he clocked under 4.6.