How Will This Team Fair Against The Redskins Offense?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I love Big Red but he's going to have to deal with RGIII this week on those options. Red is not exactly known for his speed and so I'm wondering how the coaching staff is going to prevent Washington from running RGIII to his side. I can't recall there being a problem with him vs. Kapernick who also likes to run but my memory is hazy.

I'm hoping that Chancellor will be in the box all day to guard against RG running right around the big guy and preventing Alfred Morris from hitting daylight on those inside runs.

Would like to see a lot of Cover 1 with Thomas shading towards Browner's side since he's more likely to get burned by Garcon and just leave Sherman on an island all day against his man.

Oh yeah...and Bruce Irvine gets to go up against Tyler Polumbus. Hell, I didn't even know this guy was still in the league, much less a starter. Irvin should be able to generate pressure on his side, no excuses.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

• This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

You guys have a good offense, but it's not as good as the Skins offense.

Unfortunately for us, RG3 looks like he wont be 100% so that favors you guys. Rg3 at 80% is good enough to beat teams in this league. The Hawks arent one of those teams.

Fortunately for us, we're at home and you guys are on the road. Which is good because you guys are an ELITE team at home. Based on your road record, your not nearly as good as you guys are at home although you put a whooping on the Bills. But they are the Bills...and we arent the Bills. Really, outside of Chicago and the brutlization you put on the Bills, you dont have any impressive road wins.

If our defense plays the ways its been playing for the last 7 weeks, and we run the ball the way we want, this will be a close game. And close games tend to favor home teams. If our offense takes care of the ball the way they've been doing and the defense forces turnovers, it could be a long day for the Hawks. We get turnovers and we dont turn the ball over and in this league, turover ratio is the biggest indicator of wins and losses, period.

If the defense plays the way they played for the first 9 games, we're going to be in trouble. Alot of trouble.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• rdskns4eva wrote:This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

Unfortunately for us, RG3 looks like he wont be 100% so that favors you guys. Rg3 at 80% is good enough to beat teams in this league. The Hawks arent one of those teams.

Fortunately for us, we're at home and you guys are on the road. Which is good because you guys are an ELITE team at home. Based on your road record, your not nearly as good as you guys are at home although you put a whooping on the Bills. But they are the Bills...and we arent the Bills. Really, outside of Chicago and the brutlization you put on the Bills, you dont have any impressive road wins.

If our defense plays the ways its been playing for the last 7 weeks, and we run the ball the way we want, this will be a close game. And close games tend to favor home teams. If our offense takes care of the ball the way they've been doing and the defense forces turnovers, it could be a long day for the Hawks. We get turnovers and we dont turn the ball over and in this league, turover ratio is the biggest indicator of wins and losses, period.

If the defense plays the way they played for the first 9 games, we're going to be in trouble. Alot of trouble.

Washington is #2 in turnover ratios in the NFC, we are tied with Atlanta for #4. When Russell does throw an interception its generally after it hits his receiver in the hands (and other times it results in a game winning touchdown :lol: ). Our defense also generates turnovers. We're pretty evenly matched: smart, fast, game changing quarterbacks compounded with a strong running game and nearly unstoppable defenses when they decide to show up. This will be a marquee bout, but I feel confident that the Seahawks will come to play and take care of business.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• I really don't like Browner going against these smaller, faster WR's

Real chance he gets beat a couple times for big plays
    cesame
    NET Veteran

• I think this is gonna be a slobberknocker.. I will take both team's average D.. Hawks 24 - 15.. I anticipate much screaming yelling and cursing at my TV also possibly a phone throw or two.
    We are just so evenly matched except in our strength of competition, and our D's. yours pass D is terrible, our run D isn't..
    "Go Hawks" Russlemainia
    Adopt a Rookie - Jackson Jeffcoat
    SeaHawk80
    NET Rookie

• For the Skins fan, you are really underestimating our offense. Yes, we seemed to come down to Earth against the Rams, but for some reason the Rams destroy the same division opponents. Just ask SF. We are the only NFC west team to beat them this year. Our offense though, with Wilson looking good, has become a different animal. The only way to win against our offense is to stop the run and pressure Wilson. The only team that got a good mix of both was the Cardinals, in week 1, and Wilson looked like crap for the majority of the game. If the Skins can stop the run well, and then pressure Wilson, we will probably lose. If you can't stop the run, and if you can't pressure Wilson, you are in trouble, big time. Wilson is a big threat, don't let his modest yardage total fool you. He is a big play threat, last game his YPA was 13. He is good.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Things in our favor: We have played two teams that run the option/pistol. We beat them both, giving up 10 points to the Panthers (plus 2 for the intentional safety) and 13 to the Niners, if you just must count the 7 garbage points the Niners scored at the end.

Pete has experience against the option/pistol. So does Bobby Wagner. And our first team D faces it in practice every day.

Things against us. Robbie G throws a nice slant, and the Redskins run a ton of max protect. Griffen has nice deep ball, and the Skins have done a good job of picking apart two deep and quarters coverage. Good thing we almost always play single and trips.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I think the Skins will plan on throwing on early downs and running outside the perimeter, it's going to take a good game from the front seven to negate all the easy stuff and force Griffin to throw outside the hashes in tight windows with rhythm. I've noticed that Washington gets a lot of big passing plays doing slants over the middle targeting in between the FS and SS, so Chancellor will need to put the wood on a few TE and WR when they get to his zone. It all starts with the Skins run game though, so bottle that up and everything gets easier after that.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

• cesame wrote:I really don't like Browner going against these smaller, faster WR's

Real chance he gets beat a couple times for big plays

Me neither. I think Thurmond would almost be a better matchup...if he was healthy. I predict them running a lot of inside slants and then throw in a double-move later on to try to burn Browner deep.
    Sturm
    NET Veteran

• From Sando:

Wilson leads the NFL in Total QBR on the road since Week 8. His 107.2 NFL passer rating on the road over that span ranks third behind Matt Ryan (113.9) and Aaron Rodgers (112.5).

:179417:
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

• Griffin is hobbled and vulnerable. Knock him out of the game early. Jam Moss and Garcon at the line then bring the heat that will plant Griffin a couple feet deep in FedEx field turf.

I also like the Hawks against Morris. He's a solid back no doubt, but he's the type of back this defense can contain.
    Last edited by CodeWarrior on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Formerly known as Seahawk425.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

• 12evanf wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

Washington is #2 in turnover ratios in the NFC, we are tied with Atlanta for #4. When Russell does throw an interception its generally after it hits his receiver in the hands (and other times it results in a game winning touchdown :lol: ). Our defense also generates turnovers. We're pretty evenly matched: smart, fast, game changing quarterbacks compounded with a strong running game and nearly unstoppable defenses when they decide to show up. This will be a marquee bout, but I feel confident that the Seahawks will come to play and take care of business.

The Redskins don't turn the ball over much because they throw a very high percentage of 2 yard passes and let their receivers do the rest of the work. That's how they limited Griffin's ints. The Redskins will be playing from behind on Sunday and I believe that Seattle will force a turnover or two because those 2 yard passes aren't going to be getting the job done and Griffin will have to throw downfield against Seattle. Morris is a plodder and Seattle's defense usually stops those guys, it's the quick shifty guys that give the Seahawks fits.

The Skins pass defense is one of the worst in the league and I have no doubt that Russell will be able to carve them up at will. Their rush defense is giving up 4.2 ypc and are ranked high in total yardage because teams abandon the run game in favor of the pass game. The Redskins have the least amount of rushes against in the league this season, the Seahawks have the second fewest.

With the speed Seattle has on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think the Skins offense will be effective.

Seattle is the better team and should win this game.
    Last edited by rideaducati on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• I'll add that we've improved a lot against the screen play since our game against the Patriots. The skins seem to rely heavily on it, but i think we match up well against it. our dline and LBers has done great stopping the RB screen before they can even begin, and our secondary plays physical enough which makes downfield blocking tough for the redskins receivers.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• rdskns4eva wrote:This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

You guys barely saw a good defense all year. We've seen quite a few top 15 defenses. I'd say at this point that our offense is better.

rdskns4eva wrote:Unfortunately for us, RG3 looks like he wont be 100% so that favors you guys. Rg3 at 80% is good enough to beat teams in this league. The Hawks arent one of those teams.

Even if he was at 100%, we did very well containing running QBs this year. I think we'll end up forcing RG3 to throw. He's not going to get away with a 3rd of his passes being screens against us, either.

rdskns4eva wrote:Fortunately for us, we're at home and you guys are on the road. Which is good because you guys are an ELITE team at home. Based on your road record, your not nearly as good as you guys are at home although you put a whooping on the Bills. But they are the Bills...and we arent the Bills. Really, outside of Chicago and the brutlization you put on the Bills, you dont have any impressive road wins.

I don't disagree, we have one impressive road win against a good team this year. We seem to have cleared that "bad on the road" hurdle, though.

rdskns4eva wrote:If our defense plays the ways its been playing for the last 7 weeks, and we run the ball the way we want, this will be a close game. And close games tend to favor home teams. If our offense takes care of the ball the way they've been doing and the defense forces turnovers, it could be a long day for the Hawks. We get turnovers and we dont turn the ball over and in this league, turover ratio is the biggest indicator of wins and losses, period.

You've averaged allowing 20.0 points per game over the past 7 games on defense, and many of those were against crappy offenses. I wouldn't list your defense as a strength. You're 22nd on the year by points allowed per game. That being said, your defense has definitely played better in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st. You can say the same about our offense too, though; and that has had a more meteoric rise than your defense.

rdskns4eva wrote:If the defense plays the way they played for the first 9 games, we're going to be in trouble. Alot of trouble.

Also, welcome to the board and enjoy your stay. :)

I, for one, love how the Seahawks defense matches up against the Redskins offense. I think it's going to be a long day for Redskins fans, and that we'll end up with the hat trick. (Having booted the Redskins out of the playoffs 3 consecutive times.)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

If you guys protect the ball and force turnovers then it's a close game? If you run the ball they way you want, etc, it could be a long day for the Haws. Well, the same could be said for us. Frankly, if we pass the ball the way we want, run the ball the way we want, protect the ball the way we want and force you guys to make turnovers, well that bodes well for us. However, all of that probably won't happen.

I don't think your offense is clearly better than ours. I think it's pretty even. I think our defense is better than your D, but you guys do get the game on your field, so that may even that out a little.

Beating the Panthers early was a pretty good win for us, especially when they are a common opponent you lost to on your Home field. The game in Chicago was great as well, and anytime you blow a team out 50-17, it's a stellar win. We also played tough in our losses on the road.

No doubt, these are a couple of hot teams right now, so I expect it to be a great match-up.

Honestly, right now I am trying to get a feel for your team before I make any predictions.

Also, thanks for posting. Good luck...
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Taking nothing away from the Redskins offense, but Seattle played nine games against top ten defenses (Football Outsiders). Over half of the season against the best defenses in the league and they still averaged 26 points per game. The Redskins averaged a point more at 27 points per game.
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

You guys barely saw a good defense all year. We've seen quite a few top 15 defenses. I'd say at this point that our offense is better. We've seen 7 top half defenses this year, including the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL (Steelers) but for the most part we havent faced any super dominant defenses)

rdskns4eva wrote:Unfortunately for us, RG3 looks like he wont be 100% so that favors you guys. Rg3 at 80% is good enough to beat teams in this league. The Hawks arent one of those teams.

Even if he was at 100%, we did very well containing running QBs this year. I think we'll end up forcing RG3 to throw. He's not going to get away with a 3rd of his passes being screens against us, either. The good thing about RG3 is that he has proven he can be a drop back passer. There have been MANY games this year where his running was limited yet he was still able to produce. RG3 is a pocket passer first.

rdskns4eva wrote:Fortunately for us, we're at home and you guys are on the road. Which is good because you guys are an ELITE team at home. Based on your road record, your not nearly as good as you guys are at home although you put a whooping on the Bills. But they are the Bills...and we arent the Bills. Really, outside of Chicago and the brutlization you put on the Bills, you dont have any impressive road wins.

I don't disagree, we have one impressive road win against a good team this year. We seem to have cleared that "bad on the road" hurdle, though.

rdskns4eva wrote:If our defense plays the ways its been playing for the last 7 weeks, and we run the ball the way we want, this will be a close game. And close games tend to favor home teams. If our offense takes care of the ball the way they've been doing and the defense forces turnovers, it could be a long day for the Hawks. We get turnovers and we dont turn the ball over and in this league, turover ratio is the biggest indicator of wins and losses, period.

You've averaged allowing 20.0 points per game over the past 7 games on defense, and many of those were against crappy offenses. I wouldn't list your defense as a strength. You're 22nd on the year by points allowed per game. That being said, your defense has definitely played better in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st. You can say the same about our offense too, though; and that has had a more meteoric rise than your defense. I would not list our defenses as a stength either lol, but what our defense does very well is force turnovers. Thats the second most important element of a defense after preventing scores of course.

rdskns4eva wrote:If the defense plays the way they played for the first 9 games, we're going to be in trouble. Alot of trouble.

Also, welcome to the board and enjoy your stay. :)

I, for one, love how the Seahawks defense matches up against the Redskins offense. I think it's going to be a long day for Redskins fans, and that we'll end up with the hat trick. (Having booted the Redskins out of the playoffs 3 consecutive times.)
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.
    I'm not knocking Washington you guys are a pretty solid team.

I've watched just about every Skins game this year. If Seattle doesn't sleep walk through the first half, I have a hard time seeing how RG3 at 85% can beat us.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• How's KJ Wright and Leroy Hill doing? Need them healthy. Stopping the Skins running game is my main concern going into this match up.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• hoxrox wrote:How's KJ Wright and Leroy Hill doing? Need them healthy. Stopping the Skins running game is my main concern going into this match up.

KJ is fine. He only missed one play. I believe he just got the wind knocked out of him. I agree, it would be nice to have Leroy back this week.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Sturm wrote:I love Big Red but he's going to have to deal with RGIII this week on those options. Red is not exactly known for his speed and so I'm wondering how the coaching staff is going to prevent Washington from running RGIII to his side. I can't recall there being a problem with him vs. Kapernick who also likes to run but my memory is hazy.

I'm hoping that Chancellor will be in the box all day to guard against RG running right around the big guy and preventing Alfred Morris from hitting daylight on those inside runs.

Would like to see a lot of Cover 1 with Thomas shading towards Browner's side since he's more likely to get burned by Garcon and just leave Sherman on an island all day against his man.

Oh yeah...and Bruce Irvine gets to go up against Tyler Polumbus. Hell, I didn't even know this guy was still in the league, much less a starter. Irvin should be able to generate pressure on his side, no excuses.

Big thing Dallas was doing wrong last night was having Ware try to guess where the ball was going. Bring Kam up and have him cut the outside off while the linebackers focus more on Morris and pass coverage. If we can do this, I think we'll be fine. Dallas handled their receivers fairly well last night, though we'll still need to keep an eye on Moss as he's had a knack for finding the end zone this year.
    Kam Chancellor: The Chancellor of Defense
    Bruce Irvin: BruceMode
    Tharold Simon: Humble Thug
    Paul Richardson: BPR
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• knownone wrote:Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.

I've watched just about every Skins game this year. If Seattle doesn't sleep walk through the first half, I have a hard time seeing how RG3 at 85% can beat us.

Yea, I remember the Steelers game. That was the game that the skins WR's dropped 10 passes. Literally. Not contesting that we lost, just saying that we have played some decent defenses this year.

Yes, we've only beat 2 teams that are playoff teams this year but we we're 5-1 in the NFC East which is generally considered the best division in football with 3 of 4 teams at .500 or better. Only the NFC North and AFC North have 3 teams with .500 or better records.

Again, it will be a tough match up, but the Redskins at their best can score and score in a hurry. At their worst, they lose to the Panters :roll:
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• rdskns4eva wrote:
    knownone wrote:Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.

Yea, I remember the Steelers game. That was the game that the skins WR's dropped 10 passes. Literally. Not contesting that we lost, just saying that we have played some decent defenses this year.

Yes, we've only beat 2 teams that are playoff teams this year but we we're 5-1 in the NFC East which is generally considered the best division in football with 3 of 4 teams at .500 or better. Only the NFC North and AFC North have 3 teams with .500 or better records.

Again, it will be a tough match up, but the Redskins at their best can score and score in a hurry. At their worst, they lose to the Panters :roll:

No offense, but I don't think anyone considers the Steelers defense good. Seriously, they are good in YPG, but that is one of the worst stats ever. They allow like 23 PPG, a much better stat.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:
    knownone wrote:Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.

No offense, but I don't think anyone considers the Steelers defense good. Seriously, they are good in YPG, but that is one of the worst stats ever. They allow like 23 PPG, a much better stat.

Nor are most people saying that the NFC East was the best division this year...historically yes, but not so much this year.
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:

19 points per game, which is not bad at all. Not great, but not bad.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• rdskns4eva wrote:Yes, we've only beat 2 teams that are playoff teams this year but we we're 5-1 in the NFC East which is generally considered the best division in football with 3 of 4 teams at .500 or better. Only the NFC North and AFC North have 3 teams with .500 or better records.

Lets be honest now. Besides the Redskins the division is mediocre this year. Far cry from "the best division in football".
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north. 3 teams with 0.500+ records is pretty good. Are they second best good? Probably not, but it's not the AFC West either lol. It's a good division.

The East fielded 2 of the top 10 offenses n football this year.

They also had all four defenses finish no higher than 15th this year with two finishing in the bottom 3rd of the NFL.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• rdskns4eva wrote:Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north.

Yes, and earlier in man's history, we believed witches were real. In reality, they're not; and in reality, we have more wins than the Redskins but we're a wild card. The NFC East is not one of the top divisions in football, and they haven't been in a good while; regardless of what media pundits (who love anything and everything 'east') took a stab at entering the season.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north.

Yes, and earlier in man's history, we believed witches were real. In reality, they're not; and in reality, we have more wins than the Redskins but we're a wild card. The NFC East is not one of the top divisions in football, and they haven't been in a good while; regardless of what media pundits (who love anything and everything 'east') took a stab at entering the season.

I dont understand how it is the the East can have 1 team at 10-6, 1 team at 9-7 and one team at 8-8, 2 of which had CONFERENCE records of 8-4 and not say they are one of the better divisions in football. Again, the east isnt the best, but it was a pretty good division this year. It was better than:

AFC East
    AFC West
    NFC South

The only divisions that I would say were flat out better were
    NFC West
    NFC North

I dont think the AFC South was better cause Im not sold on the Colts at all. I think Dallas, Washington and New York could best that team.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• Alfred morris scares the dickens out of me. Bobby Wagner can't have another week where he's a step slow. The passing game scares me none. Our corners will squash them like bugs and cam may decapitate someone. Keep the ball away from deangelo hall and pick on josh wilson. I'm worried Haslett can keep wilson on the pocket more than most others. The first team to 20 wins this game.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• And oh yeah, the nfc east is pretty bad. The eagles are awful. The cowboys are awful. The giants are awful. The skins arent awful, but arent great either. If the team that won 11 games got to play at home, rather than the team that won a crap division by default, the Hawks win by 20. The redskins are at home, therefore they have a chance.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:And oh yeah, the nfc east is pretty bad. The eagles are awful. The cowboys are awful. The giants are awful. The skins arent awful, but arent great either. If the team that won 11 games got to play at home, rather than the team that won a crap division by default, the Hawks win by 20. The redskins are at home, therefore they have a chance.

Got to win the division...I only say this because the rest of the NFL was screaming at us for having a home game when we were 7-9 last year. I'm fine with it...we need to win a playoff road game sometime this century, so why not now.
    FortWorthSeahawk
    USAF BadAss

• Our offense vs Skins D .. skins only thing that helped them beat imo the really crap cowboys... was they blitz ALOT ... which just shows they onw they have a weak defense. Our Defense vs Skins Offense.. I suspect sherman.. possibly browner will get a lot of picks against those slant passes that rg3 loves to throw when he's not attempting to tebow down the center
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

• The way I see it, the Skins only beat 2 teams that were playoff caliber this year. By playoff caliber I mean teams with 10 or more wins on the season. No, it's not the best metric but a good eye test. These two teams were the Ravens and the Vikings.

Compare that to the Seahawks who beat the Pats (12-4), Packers (11-5), Vikings (10-6), Bears (10-6) and the 49ers (11-4-1).

In my opinion the Seahawks had a much harder schedule and have proved themselves against top teams, but that was the past and the playoffs are now. Their defense doesn't really scare me... I think they blitz so much to make up for their personell deficiencies.

The Redskins offense is going to revolve around Morris pounding the ball and RG3 picking up crucial 3rd downs. The Seahawks have shown this year that they get hurt by very fast backs, but often hold powerful runners to mediocre games.

If the Seahawks can get out ahead and the Skins are playing catch-up, I think we have it in the bag. Take away that run game and they will be hurting big time.

I think we win pretty much every match-up on both sides of the ball, but it'll be a playoff game and "any given Sunday" is a factor even more so in the postseason.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

• If the Redskins are going to beat us, it's going to be on the ground. I've watched a couple Redskins games this year, and a lot of their plays were like Flynn against Detroit - dump off, missed tackle, lost containment, and gone. That's not going to happen against us. The Redskins are going to have to grind out a win, and I don't think they're physical enough to do it.

This game still worries me, though. The whole anything can happen vibe and whatnot.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Tical21 wrote:And oh yeah, the nfc east is pretty bad. The eagles are awful. The cowboys are awful. The giants are awful. The skins arent awful, but arent great either. If the team that won 11 games got to play at home, rather than the team that won a crap division by default, the Hawks win by 20. The redskins are at home, therefore they have a chance.

lol didnt you guys get a home playoff game with a 7-9 record?

Won a crap division by default...Giants beat the 49ers and Packers and put 52 up agaisnt the Saints. Giants did have some bad losses and they got stupid at the end, but they are FAR from being a bad team. C'mon now.

Cowboys are inconsistent but yea for the most part they were not very good.

The Redskins did not win the east by default. They won 7 in a row and swept their end of season division games. They earned that divison title. They didn't back into the playoffs.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

• Im feeling pretty confident about this game.
    I group the skins with teams like carolina or minnesota. They generally do a thing or two well but are far from a complete team. Id probly throw chicago in that group as well.
    Sure they have a chance to win, but if we can stop their running game and control the clock we should be fine.
    Honestly the only thing that makes me nervous is that its in their house and that rg3 is hurt. I think if cousins comes in we may struggle (ie Kolb in wk 1).
    jhball
    NET Rookie

• I think the option to Red's side is a legitimate concern, however I wouldn't be surprised if they assigned Red to crash down on the dive and bring a linebacker up to read RG3, the weakness is that this strategy is susceptable to the slot receiver getting open, its up to Kam and Earl to squeeze the seam route.

It is absolutely vital that on the stretch plays that Red and Clem set the age and the DT's maintain gap integrity. You got to funnel and set the edge to shut down this scheme.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• My biggest concern is the grass field. Hawks are 2-3 on grass fields, beating Carolina and Chicago, but losing to Arizona, Miami and SF. Grass will slow us down. Which means our already crap pass rush will be giving RGIII all the time in the world. We only mustered 8 sacks in those 5 games and 4 of them came against Carolina.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Hey Redskins fans, can you tell me how well your team did defending the read option in your only game against it? I can...you saw 10 read/option plays for 94yds vs Carolina and Cam Newton who we shut down hard. Have fun watching your team lose to the Seahawks again on Sunday.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• rdskns4eva wrote:Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north. 3 teams with 0.500+ records is pretty good. Are they second best good? Probably not, but it's not the AFC West either lol. It's a good division.

The East fielded 2 of the top 10 offenses n football this year.

They also had all four defenses finish no higher than 15th this year with two finishing in the bottom 3rd of the NFL.

This is funny.

NFC East is the biggest cupcake division in the NFC. Put any one of those teams in the NFC West or North and you're looking at 6-10 teams at best. Even in the NFC South, Skins would be lucky to go 8-8.

Of course, we're all going to see that first-hand on Sunday when the Seahawks destroy the Redskins in the playoffs yet again. It is cute to hear smack talk from the fans of a team who the Seahawks have completely dominated in the playoffs over the last decade.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• To the op, Red has long arms.

Could see Thomas or Sherman or Tru ,maybe on a delayed passrush.

Has happened afew times earlier in the season.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• My girlfriends brother is a skins fan so I have watched them enough and I am getting a good feeling about this game. I think we have an excellent chance going in to Washington and getting the Win. Yes they are high off their win. But it is Dallas and they aren't very good and they beat them twice this season. They also beat Philly twice. The giants, Cleveland and Baltimore, starting at week 11. Minnesota they beat and the Falcons game they lost. Mix in Carolina , Tampa, The Bengals. It hasnt been too brutal.

These teams are not a great way to get an honest assessment of your team but I am sure it is a confidence builder with each win. Seattle's team, Offense and Defense has been tried and tested by some pretty stiff competition spread out through this season, regardless of who we beat down the last few games of the season. We also did it with some first timers on the field!

RG3 will be a factor, Can not deny it and if Seattle doesn't play their cards right we could get into trouble. Both teams are going in to the playoffs new at this. But I think Seattle gets the win.
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:If the Redskins are going to beat us, it's going to be on the ground. I've watched a couple Redskins games this year, and a lot of their plays were like Flynn against Detroit - dump off, missed tackle, lost containment, and gone. That's not going to happen against us. The Redskins are going to have to grind out a win, and I don't think they're physical enough to do it.

This game still worries me, though. The whole anything can happen vibe and whatnot.

We have played 6 of the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL. We have 6 wins against those teams.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• anybody taking the skins game lightly, has not watched this team... they're explosive, and can move the ball effectively... seahawks better go into this game expecting to score a bunch of points, because IMO this is not going to be a defensive battle, RG3 at 85% is still extremely hard to contain, and is very accurate with medium to long balls... Garcon and Moss are play makers, and could give our bigger corners trouble with their quickness... the running attack does not worry me as much as the passing game.

their defense does not concern me at all, after all we all know what a liability josh wilson is, although he played well sunday, he can be beat and beat often.... stay away from hall, pick on wilson and the safties..

should be a good game, if the real hawks teams shows up , we should get the victory.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Here are some facts:

Only one team has put more than 24 on you - DET in Detroit.

No one in his right mind can deny your D is a far different animal on the road (BUF game was in Canada and it was BUF). 5 teams ARZ, RAM, 49R, DET, MIA beat you in 8 tries on the road.

Opinion:

I'm gonna say we have a better offense than all those teams - even DET which has one WR, an immobile QB, and no ground game.

Trying to stay on topic, our offense has been responsible for almost all of our points. We are tough to deal with. We have hung 28+ on over half the teams we've played. You will have to stop us without the benefit of us running silent counts and a plethora of noise-induced false starts.

Both of us are hot. Your job of stopping us in our place will probably be your toughest yet. You will not be getting off the ball against a deafened offense. We will run a random mix and probably try to get your secondary involved in run support. I might be wrong but I think you are under-sized but over-quick on the D line. This plays for you at home but against you on the road - especially against a ground game like ours.

You are 3-point road favorites. I'm a little surprised. I see this more like pick 'em with a slight edge to us as the home team.

III
    III
    NET Bench Warmer

• III wrote:Here are some facts:

No one in his right mind can deny your D is a far different animal on the road (BUF game was in Canada and it was BUF). 5 teams ARZ, RAM, 49R, DET, MIA beat you in 8 tries on the road.

Opinion:

I'm gonna say we have a better offense than all those teams - even DET which has one WR, an immobile QB, and no ground game.

Trying to stay on topic, our offense has been responsible for almost all of our points. We are tough to deal with. We have hung 28+ on over half the teams we've played. You will have to stop us without the benefit of us running silent counts and a plethora of noise-induced false starts.

Both of us are hot. Your job of stopping us in our place will probably be your toughest yet. You will not be getting off the ball against a deafened offense. We will run a random mix and probably try to get your secondary involved in run support. I might be wrong but I think you are under-sized but over-quick on the D line. This plays for you at home but against you on the road - especially against a ground game like ours.

You are 3-point road favorites. I'm a little surprised. I see this more like pick 'em with a slight edge to us as the home team.

III

You shouldn't be. There's already been good conversation about the smoke and mirrors of the Redskins 28+ points. (All against bad defenses.) Seattle comes in with the #1 scoring defense and a top 10 offense. I expect the Redskins to give us a game, but if Seattle plays up to its normal strengths, you'll be lucky to break the 20 point barrier. And I highly doubt your defense is going to keep Wilson, Lynch, and crew under that.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• well said, nice avatar too by the way..

problem is you're making the same mistake as every other team we've faced.. trying to judge us on teams we played in the first half of the season... anybody that's followed this team will know that the D started out hot, and the O was very vanilla for the first 6 games of the season give or take , during this time the D cooled down and the offense got hot, now over the last few games, the D is back close to where it was and the offensive has taken off...

so to compare the present team to the team that lost to Miami and Detroit and NFC west teams, is like comparing this team to last years Tavaris Jackson lead team .. completely different team now, operating on all cylinders in all 3 phases of the game...

stopping RG3 will be a tough assignment for sure, but your average D at best stopping our O will be an even tougher assignment, at home or not, you've got a tough day ahead of you come sunday. london fletcher will not be having a career day against RW, his age and deminished abilities will be exposed... as will josh wilson, who we let go because he can't cover his for sh*t...

there's a reason we're 3 point road favorites, we're the better more complete team.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• III wrote:I might be wrong but I think you are under-sized but over-quick on the D line.

III

You are incorrect:

DE Bryant 6'4" 323
    DT Branch 6'6" 325
    DT Mebane 6'1" 311
    DE Clemons 6'3" 254
    SoCalSeahawk
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    III wrote:Here are some facts:

Opinion:

III

You shouldn't be. There's already been good conversation about the smoke and mirrors of the Redskins 28+ points. (All against bad defenses.) Seattle comes in with the #1 scoring defense and a top 10 offense. I expect the Redskins to give us a game, but if Seattle plays up to its normal strengths, you'll be lucky to break the 20 point barrier. And I highly doubt your defense is going to keep Wilson, Lynch, and crew under that.

Well I guess we disagree. You lost more than half your games on the road and we are better (offensively and overall) than all the guys who beat you. But I guess 1/2 the country thinks the spread is about right for what that's worth. Like I said, a little surprised, not shocked. The betting public is fairly ignorant. I like being a home dog.

This thread IS about your D against our O, right?

III
    III
    NET Bench Warmer

Next

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:03 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information