Redskin Fan's POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

burggold75

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3bua2jsz said:
You guys really want to understand Redskins fans' points of view? It has to do with a lot more than just us beating them in the playoffs. At both games, a bunch of their fans were treated like shit, having beer and smoke bombs thrown at them among other things. At the second game, some Seahawk fans said some really nasty things about Sean Taylor to Redskins fans who were still grieving. And they don't like being called racist.

It doesn't matter to them what the majority of Seahawk fans are like, if their interactions with Seahawk fans are overwhelmingly negative.

They have contempt for us as a fan base, more than any other team including the Cowboys. And they don't give a crap about what we think, just like we don't give a crap about what they think.

I'm not saying anybody has to change their ways, or anything like that. But if you want to understand Redskins fans' POV, that is some important background.

BlueTalon - you're a classy fan :D

Shock2k

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":2md3dnv8 said:
Shock2k":2md3dnv8 said:
Ok, I didn't want to go here, because I also believe there are good and bad fans, but seriously. Go to youtube.com and put in "redskins fans fight" and after you watch the 383 videos of Redskins fans acting badly at games, head on back, and keep casting stones. This is about past Seahawks/Skins playoffs and nothing more.

On your forum right now is a picture comparing RW's wife to a fdonkey. Seriously.

The area around Washington DC is very diverse. Other than being a hugely divided city for politics, the socio-economic and class differences are vast throughout the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area.

Some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country surround DC...but you go a little farther out and there is a much more blue-collar feel to the fanbase. Alot of these families have had season tickets for years and have passed it down from fathers to sons. I feel that the newer generation has more of a sense of "entitlement" rather than bleeding burgandy and gold. More likely to just get drunk, start fights, and try to reassert their manhood in the stupidest of ways.

You also have to realize, when your fanbase is starved for success as we have been, and we grew up with the Redskins being a proud and powerful franchise - its easy to become deluded when success starts and assert a false sense of braggadocio. Look at what happened with Germany after their economy tanked and they blamed the reparations they had to pay the rest of the world. Easy to see where this fanbase gets a chip on its shoulder...especially when we were dealt a 36 M cap penalty by Goddell and Mara (owner of the Giants).

totally agree. You can do the same with "Seahawks fans fight".

MRH72

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2nmmcmuj said:
It would be ridiculous, if that's all it was. Was your car vandalized in Denver? Was your girlfriend groped at the game? If she had been, would it make a difference in your opinion?

I'm sure you were asking rhetorically, but I don't appreciate the way you asked. No, the harassment we received was verbal. When it comes to something as serious as what you're describing, who you're rooting for is obviously out the window. If someone is breaking the law, they need to be punished. It's no longer about football. Period. Someone that vandalizes a car or sexually assaults someone is a scumbag, and any team association should never trump that fact. (And the same can be said about anyone that thinks that any Sean Taylor jokes would be funny)

I still think that judging a fanbase based off isolated experiences is closed minded. And I don't mind saying so.

RichmondRedskin88

Reaction score
AF_Hawk":2447yoo8 said:
RichmondRedskin88":2447yoo8 said:
Shock2k":2447yoo8 said:
There is a serial groper in Virginia right now. There you go, all Redskins fans are sexual harassers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cri ... _blog.html

But we play in maryland :?: :lol:

Yet you are from Richmond.

If you are questioning my fandom sir I was born just outside of DC and grew up in Northern VA outside of DC. Now if you are calling me a rapist I don't really don't have a response for that. :lol:

I should note Richmond is a giant Redskins fanbase. Redskins-Cowboys game was most viewed by DC followed by Richmond.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
MRH72":3ryzmffh said:
BlueTalon":3ryzmffh said:
It would be ridiculous, if that's all it was. Was your car vandalized in Denver? Was your girlfriend groped at the game? If she had been, would it make a difference in your opinion?
I'm sure you were asking rhetorically, but I don't appreciate the way you asked. No, the harassment we received was verbal. When it comes to something as serious as what you're describing, who you're rooting for is obviously out the window. If someone is breaking the law, they need to be punished. It's no longer about football. Period. Someone that vandalizes a car or sexually assaults someone is a scumbag, and any team association should never trump that fact. (And the same can be said about anyone that thinks that any Sean Taylor jokes would be funny)

I still think that judging a fanbase based off isolated experiences is closed minded. And I don't mind saying so.
I was asking rhetorically, FYI. And I don't disagree with you, judging a fan-base on isolated incidents is closed minded.

But (A) it's a lot different when you are the target of one of those isolated incidents, and (B) it's a lot different when the incidents are perceived to be not so isolated. And it's impossible to disassociate such incidents from football and fanbases, when the people being targeted are being targeted exactly because they are fans of the other team.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
But we play in maryland :?: :lol:

Yet you are from Richmond.

If you are questioning my fandom sir I was born just outside of DC and grew up in Northern VA outside of DC. Now if you are calling me a rapist I don't really don't have a response for that. :lol:

I'm not, and I edited the post to explain. You just quoted me before I edited it.

JSeahawks

Reaction score

Scottemojo

Reaction score
BlueTalon":hjq3gaec said:
Shock2k":hjq3gaec said:
the way, I'm not attacking you for defending them, I understand you are trying to close some wounds here. There was a couple guys I like over on that forum, well one guy, but I wasn't on for very long.
Believe it or not, I'm not defending them, or trying to close any wounds. I'm merely trying to explain them.

Scottemojo":hjq3gaec said:
BT, I call BS. If they won that game in January 2008, they would be a lot different about this. Our 1% made a 99% impression,
If your theory is correct, then if they win this game, that will soften their attitudes toward us. (I kinda doubt it.)

Scottemojo":hjq3gaec said:
and you are the only one grandfathered in. And that is because you get on with one of their pissy mods. I read your post over there, and I thought it was pandering to them. Which is what they want. So good for you.
For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

I honestly have no idea why more people don't get it -- when I come here, I am a visitor in your home. The same is true for any opposing team's forum I visit. While I am prepared to stick up for myself if need be, it is not my job to change anybody's mind, or beat them about the head and shoulders with the "truth". The most I expect to do in a conflict of football opinions is to show that the opposing side of the argument has validity, and isn't just the product of a latte-lubed nut-bag.

And I have never understood people who play the game "Taunt the Mods". Seriously, when I see that happening (and it happens everywhere), I get a game show voice going in my head.

"And now for another edition of Taunt the Mods! Today's contestant is a visitor from Seattle. Tony?"
"Thanks, Bob. Contestant, what is your name?"
"BlueTalon."
"What brings you here today?"
"Well, Tony, I'm a true believer in the Seahawks, and I'm out to spread the good news."
"And you're here to play Taunt the Mods?"
"Yes, Tony. People are idiots, and mods are no exception. They need to be aware that the 1st Amendment protects my right to be an ass on the internet, and I have found ridicule to be a very useful tool in my quest."
"And there you have it, Bob. We'll begin the first round after these messages..."

I take that approach at every opposition forum I visit (i.e., I'm a visitor in their home). There's nothing panderish about that -- we expect and demand it from fans of other teams who visit here. And I really don't get it when people don't get it.

I also don't get it when people seem to test the limits with mods. I have seen it happen here a lot. You haven't?

Using myself as the example in the game-show is just a literary device, though I can see why you might consider it pandering.
Other fans got booted on that board for absolutely nothing offensive before you made that post. It was pandering.

Shock2k

Reaction score
For Serial, I'm going to start calling the Redskins fans "Gropeskins" from now on.

Gropeskin, gropeskin, gropeskin (so it will pop in google in a few minutes)

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Made the mistake of reading that obnoxious ExtremeSkins thread. Wow. And to think I wanted to win the game before. Jeez. What a bunch of idiots. Please, nobody link to that site again. I just got PTSD from 2007.

I understand that there was some sort of incident with some idiot Hawk fan saying something stupid about Sean Taylor. But the degree and level to which that nonsense has grown and been overblown is hilarious and scary. They act like their fans were nuns raped by hells angels. No offense, Talon. I get that there is context behind it. But it is 90% their own creation. Taking the works of a couple individuals and smearing it all over the place and painting an entire fan base with. No offense to any good Skins fans out there. But as a football fan that has seen games in 1/3 of the country and always looking for new experiences, DC is one of the few stadiums I've been told by fans of other teams who do the same to be careful with. Let's check the sanctimony at the door.

As for this game itself. PLEASE SEAHAWK FANS. Please do not belittle and dismiss the Redskins to the degree they are the Seahawks. It's downright embarassing to read their fans do such mental gymnastics to prove how weak Seattle and the NFC West is. Please let's not be that ignorant and foolish. One (emphasis on "one") of their fans made a good point. Wouldn't you rather admit your opponent is a good football team, and to beat them in the playoffs, as opposed to beating some weak, overhyped team that skirted it's way into the postseason? Really now. Again, sorry to any good DC fans out there. But the fans on ExtremeSkins look like exactly like fans of a football team whose only postseason experience of the last decade is losing to us twice. Good grief.

Both the Hawks and Redskins are playing great football right now. Both are hot and on considerable winning streaks. Both are led by fantastic rookie qb's, who are both good qb's, period. Not just good rookie qb's. Neither team is to be belittled or dismissed right now. If this game were at the CLink, I'd be supremely confident in a Seahawks win. It's not, so I feel it's going to be a dog fight game that comes down to the 4th qtr. There is a lot of exciting and interesting angles to this game. Let's take from ExtremeSkins example and do the exact opposite of what they are doing, and actually focus on the game itself. Leave the "us vs you. you suck. neener neener" childrens games to them.

Go Hawks.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Well met, I appologize for calling the entire Redskins fanbase "sexual harrasers", even if it was just being sarcastic. Actually I can't appologize for that one, it seems the only way to get the point accross. I was tired of hearing the "raper Seahawks" comments.

I swear I actually liked the Redskins until I went to that ExRed.com site.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
thebanjodude":gcuzxpjc said:

Some real "enemy of my enemy is my friend" stuff there. Gettin' some 'Niner love - amazing! I admit that I've been known to have postseason division pride as well at times. Was definitely pulling for the Cards in the Super Bowl, but with the Steelers the opposition that one was pretty easy to do. Plus Fitz is about as classy as they come and hard not to root for a guy like that.

Hell, since I took it there, I should say that RGIII also seems like a class act and I've always liked the 'Skins unis. I used to kind of like them until visiting extremeskins. Now I'm hoping that we absolutely annihilate them on Sunday. If Pete reads that site, we're going for 2 and onside kicking up by 30 in the 4th quarter.

camdawg

Reaction score
Good discussion.

For the Redskins fans who came out here in 2005 and 2007, and were bothered to the point of feeling unsafe, or you had your personal property damaged, I am very sorry for that. I have not traveled as a pro fan, but have done so as a college fan of the Washington Huskies. I've gone to some places where I was treated amazingly well (Michigan and Notre Dame), a place I was treated horribly (Miami in the Orange Bowl for the 2001 blowout), and a place I was hassled, but not threatened (Autzen Stadium in Eugene). So I do know where you're coming from. For a big game, maybe older male visiting fans should expect what I got in Eugene, but should never expect what I got in Miami.

And women and kids should really be off-limits. I felt bad for Monkster's on CPND's experience in 2005. It opened my eyes a little bit, since she bought tickets just one or two sections away from me, low down on the Seahawks side. I would've expected the fans in that area to be a little more tame. Its too bad her seats were not in my section, 134, which might be the tamest non-club seat section in the stadium.

For those who had really bad experiences, there is no excuse. Please don't take my following comments to be that way. But, before the 2005 game, it seemed like Redskins fans were incredibly arrogant and bragging, to the point of rubbing it in our faces, that we had no worthwhile fan support, that they were going to take over the stadium en masse and basically own the place, making it into FedEx West. For some people, that siege mentality given off by Redskins fans, helped foster a "we must protect this house" mentality by Seahawks fans. Obviously, a part of Seahawks fans took that way too far-especially the jerks that smoke bombed the ExtremeSkins tailgate.

The situation of the game didn't help either, and it won't help Seahawks fans who are invading enemy territory this Sunday. It had been forever since we'd won a playoff game, with the 03 and 04 losses being agonizing. I will never forget a fan crying his eyes out in the bathroom after the 04 Rams loss. I could not get a minute of sleep the night before the 05 divisional game, and really have never been more nervous for a game. And there were many who probably felt the same way. Had the Redskins won that day, it wouldn't have shocked me if a fan jumped off the Aurora Bridge afterward.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. I get the sense that Redskins fans really have a desperate need to win this game, as we did in 2005, and that will bring out fan conduct that is different than it would be for a run of the mill regular season game. I didn't hear any Redskins fan complaints about the 2008 or 2011 regular season games.

I understand Skins fans who are desperate for payback for the two playoff games. I say we aren't done paying you back for Steve Largent's retirement game; and the two playoff games, along with the 94 season opener, only got us part of the way there. ;)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Will I":3gdltxby said:
After visiting the Redskin fans forums, I keep finding myself chuckling at what they're saying, so I thought I'd start a thread to share for those who don't wonder over. If anyone else has good one's, please share. This one struck my funny bone...

I do find it HILARIOUS that every few years that go by and the Redskins decide to make the playoffs, oh guess what the Seahawks up and decided they want to get off the lazy chair and squeeze in also. Like a distant cousin who doesn't join the marathon until you do, just to annoy you.

But not this time

Responding to that exact clown on the Extreme Skins forum got me perma-banned. I wasn't even being a dick or trolling, either. They're way too sensitive over there. I hope we SMOKE the Redskins, their fans are unbearable; and I never even had a problem with them before this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts