Redskin Fan's POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock2k

Reaction score
For me it's not "why" you react, it's how you react that defines class. I appreciate you giving me the background to understand the behaviour. If it was me at the receiving end of that I would be angry. It's still no excuse. I'm not saying saintly "turn the other cheek", and honestly if that's how they want to play, more power to them, but they will get no sympathy from me, I did none of things you described.

By the way, I'm not attacking you for defending them, I understand you are trying to close some wounds here. There was a couple guys I like over on that forum, well one guy, but I wasn't on for very long.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2ez95ui5 said:
MRH72":2ez95ui5 said:
While those actions are despicable, it happens everywhere. Every fanbase has ~1% idiots (49ers are upwards of 40% based on my calculations)

Me and my girlfriend were harassed at a Denver game a few years back (which I didn't mind but she hated it). And I had always heard mostly good stories about Broncos fans. Point is, it's prevalent everywhere. It's unfortunate anyone has to be a moron at the game, but it happens with every fan base. Skins fans holding a grudge over a few loudmouths is ridiculous. Be mad at us for the final score, but at least admit that's why you're angry.
It would be ridiculous, if that's all it was. Was your car vandalized in Denver? Was your girlfriend groped at the game? If she had been, would it make a difference in your opinion?

Our 1% made a 40% impression. They are mad about losing those playoff games, but that isn't why the anger is visceral.
BT, I call BS. If they won that game in January 2008, they would be a lot different about this. Our 1% made a 99% impression, and you are the only one grandfathered in. And that is because you get on with one of their pissy mods. I read your post over there, and I thought it was pandering to them. Which is what they want. So good for you.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
RiggoReincarnated":2e1a6tt8 said:
Shock2k":2e1a6tt8 said:
Wow, we only have Lynch and Wilson. That's going to make Baldwin/Rice really sad. Hell even Kearse makes great caches for our team. I love all the disrespect coming from over in DC. It's getting me fired up for the game.

We are getting the same disrespect with regard to how great your defense is, and you getting 5th in the ESPN poll while we were only 8th. Especially since we did beat you last year, in Seattle.

Cmon man...I know you're better than this.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Shock2k":2th82ikr said:
the way, I'm not attacking you for defending them, I understand you are trying to close some wounds here. There was a couple guys I like over on that forum, well one guy, but I wasn't on for very long.
Believe it or not, I'm not defending them, or trying to close any wounds. I'm merely trying to explain them.

Scottemojo":2th82ikr said:
BT, I call BS. If they won that game in January 2008, they would be a lot different about this. Our 1% made a 99% impression,
If your theory is correct, then if they win this game, that will soften their attitudes toward us. (I kinda doubt it.)

Scottemojo":2th82ikr said:
and you are the only one grandfathered in. And that is because you get on with one of their pissy mods. I read your post over there, and I thought it was pandering to them. Which is what they want. So good for you.
For those who haven't seen it, here it is:

I honestly have no idea why more people don't get it -- when I come here, I am a visitor in your home. The same is true for any opposing team's forum I visit. While I am prepared to stick up for myself if need be, it is not my job to change anybody's mind, or beat them about the head and shoulders with the "truth". The most I expect to do in a conflict of football opinions is to show that the opposing side of the argument has validity, and isn't just the product of a latte-lubed nut-bag.

And I have never understood people who play the game "Taunt the Mods". Seriously, when I see that happening (and it happens everywhere), I get a game show voice going in my head.

"And now for another edition of Taunt the Mods! Today's contestant is a visitor from Seattle. Tony?"
"Thanks, Bob. Contestant, what is your name?"
"BlueTalon."
"What brings you here today?"
"Well, Tony, I'm a true believer in the Seahawks, and I'm out to spread the good news."
"And you're here to play Taunt the Mods?"
"Yes, Tony. People are idiots, and mods are no exception. They need to be aware that the 1st Amendment protects my right to be an ass on the internet, and I have found ridicule to be a very useful tool in my quest."
"And there you have it, Bob. We'll begin the first round after these messages..."

I take that approach at every opposition forum I visit (i.e., I'm a visitor in their home). There's nothing panderish about that -- we expect and demand it from fans of other teams who visit here. And I really don't get it when people don't get it.

I also don't get it when people seem to test the limits with mods. I have seen it happen here a lot. You haven't?

Using myself as the example in the game-show is just a literary device, though I can see why you might consider it pandering.

RichmondRedskin88

Reaction score
Hey Hawk fans,

I appreciate Talon trying to explain our view to you all. You guys might recognize me from the Extremeskins board. I will admit I'm one of the fans who does take some(possible understatement) issue with Hawk fans. That comes from the 05 and 07 games. First, the vandalism of Redskin cars. Second, Sean Taylor jersey with bullet holes and signs with not just racial comment about Taylor but also comments about how happy Hawk fans are he's dead. (Keep in mind Taylor was one of our players we watched grow up from a slightly immature player to a father who died protecting his son and girlfriend. His kid absolutely changed his life. Redskin fans are still broken about his death to this day. Not kidding.)

My only other issue is the fake punts and stuff to run up the scores. That's a different discussion though. The fact is when fans attack one of the most sensitive topics for Redskin fans combined with the vandalism of our cars we're gonna have a bad impression of your fans. Now we know every fanbase has it's jerks. I know we have them as does any team. However, you must understand it doesn't exactly look good when our rivals weren't even taking shots at Taylor's death. In fact they were the first to call for the helmet number tribute. When you throw this in with the beer dumping and such on our fans at games perhaps its easier to understand why we don't have a positive view of Seahawk fans.

themunn

Reaction score
RichmondRedskin88":e742j5gs said:
Hey Hawk fans,

I appreciate Talon trying to explain our view to you all. You guys might recognize me from the Extremeskins board. I will admit I'm one of the fans who does take some(possible understatement) issue with Hawk fans. That comes from the 05 and 07 games. First, the vandalism of Redskin cars. Second, Sean Taylor jersey with bullet holes and signs with not just racial comment about Taylor but also comments about how happy Hawk fans are he's dead. (Keep in mind Taylor was one of our players we watched grow up from a slightly immature player to a father who died protecting his son and girlfriend. His kid absolutely changed his life. Redskin fans are still broken about his death to this day. Not kidding.)

My only other issue is the fake punts and stuff to run up the scores. That's a different discussion though. The fact is when fans attack one of the most sensitive topics for Redskin fans combined with the vandalism of our cars we're gonna have a bad impression of your fans. Now we know every fanbase has it's jerks. I know we have them as does any team. However, you must understand it doesn't exactly look good when our rivals weren't even taking shots at Taylor's death. In fact they were the first to call for the helmet number tribute. When you throw this in with the beer dumping and such on our fans at games perhaps its easier to understand why we don't have a positive view of Seahawk fans.

Watch those games. We didn't run up the score. We pulled the starters FOUR MINUTES into the second half against Arizona. We scored just ONE touchdown on offense in the second half against the Bills (3 minutes into the second half, after Fitzpatrick threw a pick and we started on the Bills 20 yard line). What more do you want us to do other than start playing Leroy Hill at QB and Matt Flynn as our pass rusher??

The whole basis of the "running up the score" appears to have come from 2 plays

We threw the ball on 4th and 23rd over taking a field goal. We could have added points but the whole point is we're winning by a comfortable margin so we can try out things we wouldn't usually get the opportunity to try.

When IS the best time to try a fake punt? Once the score gets to that stage preseason rules apply - you pull your starters and you have your team try out the fun stuff against real opposition to see how well they come off.

Harperville

Reaction score
You can't blame him, he only knows what the media tells him and we all know they don't watch the games either.

WeakBeak

Reaction score
RichmondRedskin88":185cg4dy said:
Hey Hawk fans,

The Radish

Reaction score
To our own guys.

I'm one of the few moderators that was around in 05 and can tell you it was miserable with fans from other teams bashing. But Riggo has been around here off and on for several years and Richmond whom I have just exchanged emails with are like most of us. Fans of football teams

I see us and the Skins very much alike and truly enjoy the give and take between such fans as them and our people. We learn more about the teams that way that we ever will saying "oh huh, youse guys suck". lol

And we learn a lot about the people themselves. Thanks from this moderator for coming here to talk football, that's what we're all about. And if some of our people or some of your get out of line they will be equally gone.

but I don't see that happening here.

Les

Forgot to add one thing we learned then was not to allow new member on the weekend of the game for playoffs

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I don't care what they say.

As long as I don't hear their fans complaining about the packers game that wouldn't have change this outcome one bit even though idiots on NFL.com are saying we wouldn't even be in the playoffs if we didn't have the ref.

^now that was a long sentence. yeah!

Shock2k

Reaction score
Ok, I didn't want to go here, because I also believe there are good and bad fans, but seriously. Go to youtube.com and put in "redskins fans fight" and after you watch the 383 videos of Redskins fans acting badly at games, head on back, and keep casting stones. This is about past Seahawks/Skins playoffs and nothing more.

On your forum right now is a picture comparing RW's wife to a donkey. Seriously.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":k1ibmyaw said:
I like that they hate us. It will make it that much more fun when we knock them out of the playoffs again.

This 1000x

volsunghawk

Reaction score
It's very easy for a small percentage of fans of a team to create a perception about the whole fanbase. It depends on each person's experiences and where those experiences occur.

I recall 2005. I spent a lot of time on the ESPN message boards then. And I can say without a doubt that my time on those boards cemented three fanbases in my mind as the absolute worst, filled with just awful, awful people:

1. Redskins
2. Bears
3. Vikings

That may not be your experience. That may not be the general perception of most NFL fans. Hell, maybe it was just an ESPN board thing. But that's how it shook out for me, and it doesn't surprise me that we rank highly on lists like that for people who had (or even just heard about) bad interactions with some Hawks fans.

WeakBeak

Reaction score
volsunghawk":53ovwral said:
It's very easy for a small percentage of fans of a team to create a perception about the whole fanbase. It depends on each person's experiences and where those experiences occur.

I recall 2005. I spent a lot of time on the ESPN message boards then. And I can say without a doubt that my time on those boards cemented three fanbases in my mind as the absolute worst, filled with just awful, awful people:

1. Redskins
2. Bears
3. Vikings

That may not be your experience. That may not be the general perception of most NFL fans. Hell, maybe it was just an ESPN board thing. But that's how it shook out for me, and it doesn't surprise me that we rank highly on lists like that for people who had (or even just heard about) bad interactions with some Hawks fans.

Woah no Niner's big suprise there for me!!

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
The Radish":1ddbttvi said:
To our own guys.

I'm one of the few moderators that was around in 05 and can tell you it was miserable with fans from other teams bashing. But Riggo has been around here off and on for several years and Richmond whom I have just exchanged emails with are like most of us. Fans of football teams

I see us and the Skins very much alike and truly enjoy the give and take between such fans as them and our people. We learn more about the teams that way that we ever will saying "oh huh, youse guys suck". lol

And we learn a lot about the people themselves. Thanks from this moderator for coming here to talk football, that's what we're all about. And if some of our people or some of your get out of line they will be equally gone.

but I don't see that happening here.

Les

Forgot to add one thing we learned then was not to allow new member on the weekend of the game for playoffs

Thanks. I remember this board as always being firm yet fair, one thing I like about it. Each team has their reasons to be confident and concerned going into this matchup. There are no more trap games, no more scrub teams so to speak.

Going into the 05 game, I thought the Seahawks were "soft" based on Mark Brunell converting 3rd downs at will in the regular season game. In the playoffs, I found a completely different team, one well deserving of representing the NFC that year.

Going into 07, I was much less confident...Todd Collins at QB etc. I felt both teams were weaker in this game than the 05 versions...but Collins throwing 2 pick 6's killed us in the 4th quarter.

Going into 2012, I have really no idea what to expect other than 2 teams that will fight the entire 60 minutes. The only Seahawk game I watched this year was the SNF whooping of the 49ers...which was impressive. BUT, it was a must win for you all if you wanted any shot to win the division - and it was at home.

Much like you guys in 05, its easy to take exception if there is an assumption you will be soft or an easy win, especially in your own backyard. We did have a couple games (Steelers and Panthers) where we played horribly this year as a team. One away and one home.

You guys lost to Arizona in the first game of the season. I feel both teams have evolved into something much stronger. Probably the 2 most-improved teams in the NFC from top to bottom, despite injuries which I will not use as an excuse for us (see 2010 Packers).

I didn't personally know anybody that went to the 2005 and 2007 games, so my impression of Seahawk fans has been they are passsionate, yet good people. Who knows what Sunday will bring. We will have to be on our best though, I fully believe the team we are bringing is MUCH better offensively than the 05 team...and on defense we are getting closer to where we need to be...but need to be on our best to counter the multi-dimensional threat of Russell Wilson.

The bad thing for us, is that Seattle seems better defensively than 05...and the offense is readily heading toward its 05 prowess.

I can't wait for this game. First time since 1996 to make the playoffs after a 3-6 start. First time since 1999 winning our division. I was hugging and getting hugged by random people watching the Dallas game after we put that one away. Nobody wants the ride to end here.

RichmondRedskin88

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3h0dj7jf said:

1. Redskins
2. Bears
3. Vikings

Play in a division with the Eagles. We may lost the top spot after one game. LOL

Shock2k":3h0dj7jf said:
Ok, I didn't want to go here, because I also believe there are good and bad fans, but seriously. Go to youtube.com and put in "redskins fans fight" and after you watch the 383 videos of Redskins fans acting badly at games, head on back, and keep casting stones. This is about past Seahawks/Skins playoffs and nothing more.

On your forum right now is a picture comparing RW's wife to a donkey. Seriously.

Every stadium has fights. Drinking, football, and rivalries. Especially when you play in a division with the cowboys, giants, and eagles LOL. Do you realize how much those fanbases hate each other right? It's pure venom. Note: we have a system in place where fans are undercover patrols at games to limit bad behavior. A great system indeed and every stadium should have it.

Are you talking about our look alike thread? Bud that's our fun thread(besides our OWNED thread). Some are kind of ya know but some are truly hilarious. Some look alike threads for Eagles and such were classics.

RiggoReincarnated

Reaction score
Shock2k":8365ypro said:

On your forum right now is a picture comparing RW's wife to a fdonkey. Seriously.

The area around Washington DC is very diverse. Other than being a hugely divided city for politics, the socio-economic and class differences are vast throughout the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area.

Some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country surround DC...but you go a little farther out and there is a much more blue-collar feel to the fanbase. Alot of these families have had season tickets for years and have passed it down from fathers to sons. I feel that the newer generation has more of a sense of "entitlement" rather than bleeding burgandy and gold. More likely to just get drunk, start fights, and try to reassert their manhood in the stupidest of ways.

You also have to realize, when your fanbase is starved for success as we have been, and we grew up with the Redskins being a proud and powerful franchise - its easy to become deluded when success starts and assert a false sense of braggadocio. Look at what happened with Germany after their economy tanked and they blamed the reparations they had to pay the rest of the world. Easy to see where this fanbase gets a chip on its shoulder...especially when we were dealt a 36 M cap penalty by Goddell and Mara (owner of the Giants).

Status
Not open for further replies.