Division foe Cardinals fire Whisenhunt and GM

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • Link.

I didn't see this in the NFL forum. I debated which forum to post this in, but seeing as this news effects the Seahawks so much I figured I'd post it in the main forum.

This news is 4 hours old, so if I missed it and it's posted elsewhere please feel free to lock.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• haaaaa this will set them back a couple more years most likely. Kolb was out the whole year yes? When he was in they were damn near unbeatable yes? Why not just wait until Kolb comes back and start beasting again?

But nope, now you have a GM, Coach, and QB issue to fix. Stupid
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• I posted this in the what coaches were fired thread, but I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Heard they had Lovie Smith, Andy Reid, and the Broncos OC in for interviews or something, or are interested in all of them, probably the latter in the case of the Broncos OC.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• And apparently open and wanting to talk to Andy Reid. If it was 2003 I'd be scared.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• if they get andy reid the NFC west will truly be the best division in the NFL, we already have to worry about the rising Rams.
    Now Andy Reid?
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• If they Get Lovie I will puke. I hate his smug face and I dont want to look at it. Although, I think We own him!
    djb28
    NET Veteran

• Best case scenario some team picks up Bevell and we grab whiz as offensive coordinator.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:Best case scenario some team picks up Bevell and we grab whiz as offensive coordinator.

I could only hope!!!!!!!
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• Not surprised at all, the GM did a worse job than Whiz. But Whiz lost the team a little bit. Time for a change. Not worried about Andy Reid at all, the guy has lost his touch, he's an OC at heart.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Andy Reid could be a good hire if they are patient with him. His track record with acquiring and coaching QBs is as good as anyone's. Lovie could be a good short term hire because the Cardinals have a great defense (albeit a different scheme than Smith is used to).

I think I prefer Reid of the two. Reid's odds of flaming out are probably higher than Smiths, and I'd almost guarantee that Smith would have that team playing better than Reid would in 2013 since he is a defense first coach and Arizona is a defense first team currently. Reid's upside is higher since he knows how to get QBs so well, but on the off chance he makes it big in AZ, at least the NFC West would become more exciting in the process.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• I heard a rumor on the radio that Arizona was offering Nick Saban 8 million a year. I have no idea the validity of the dude that was talking.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Heard Reid was interviewing, Kolb was successful for him, Horton is already there also Sith is interviewing almost everywhere, but whether a team is serious or just fulfilling the rule is a masked issue with him. Chucky Rumor in Philly to interview as well. Still waiting for a place for Holmgrens name to pop up.

Additionally any team that gt Reinfeldt gets the best of the best in cap gurus.
    Gamble from S.F. is in a lot of rumors also, funny thing is he's not the builder down there, Scot McGloughlin was the one who set up scouting and was doing the drafts down there that built S.F. They gave him a release package because he butted heads with the front office when Singletary was still ther and we brought him back home here in Seattle.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Pstark3 wrote:haaaaa this will set them back a couple more years most likely. Kolb was out the whole year yes? When he was in they were damn near unbeatable yes? Why not just wait until Kolb comes back and start beasting again?

But nope, now you have a GM, Coach, and QB issue to fix. Stupid

I agree, man what a bonehead move, almost everyone i talk to thinks Wisenhunt is a good match for the Cards, guess its his fault his QBs are fragile?

weird
    GO HAWKS!!!
    Twisted
    NET Veteran

• 58-0 stung too much
    Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
    VaporHawk
    NET Veteran

• Bidwell came right out and listed the Seahawks and the 9ers success as reasons for making the change.

They just cant run with the big dogs with the way they are running things.

Honestly i dont see it changing much. Wizinpunt (as the cards fans call him) was the best coach they had. He only needed a QB but couldnt get one. I dont expect that to suddenly change. They are just a crappy organization. Probably good for Wizinpunt to be outta there.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• One thing about the NFC West, the Seahawks will ALWAYS have the superior ownership. The 49ers have showed signs of stability, but I'm still suspect long term. Rams and Cards have always been poorly owned franchises.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• That's the surprise fire for me. Anyway, if this does set them back a few years, all good. :)
    Claden
    NET Rookie

• pehawk wrote:One thing about the NFC West, the Seahawks will ALWAYS have the superior ownership. The 49ers have showed signs of stability, but I'm still suspect long term. Rams and Cards have always been poorly owned franchises.

I'll agree that AZ's problems stem right from the top. No question that current Rams ownership is suspect, but they had excellent owners back in the 70's-80's. When Carroll Rosemblum died (under somewhat suspicious circumstances) and the team was taken over by his hooker wife Georgia Frontiere, they started going down hill. She and her crew were the ones that organized the St Louis move. I hated them after that.

But overall, I agree with your post. We have the best owners in the division, at least since PA took over. Ownership wasn't too bad under the Nordstroms. In between, he who do not mention was a lot like Frontiere for the Lambs, more interested in moving the team than winning games.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Well I get to brag about being right about one thing this year :)

The NFC West just got better with this firing. Whisenhunt is a terrible HC and I think he is an average OC.

I hate the Cardinals and part of that hatred comes from how people give them credit as a good team or give him credit as a good coach when they haven't really done anything consistently. Warner saved Whisenhunt's job for a few years after he should've been fired.

He is supposed to be an offensive coach. Yet year after year, his offense is near the bottom of the league (post Warner). His speciality is supposed to be the running game and they have always been a bottom half team in running since he took over. He couldn't choose a QB to save his life. He chose Skelton over Kolb in the preseason.

Their GM was just as bad. They panicked for a QB and gave up a fortune for Kolb. Their O-line has been terrible for years and what do they do with their first round pick? Draft a freaking WR when you already have Fitzgerald on the team.

This is bad news for the Hawks because they can't really get a worse GM and HC than they already had. This division is going to be brutal.
    amill87
    NET Veteran

• The Cards are just painting themselves into a different corner right now. They are retaining the defensive staff, and understandably so, Horton was good at that job. Maybe he will even get a shot at the HC spot, but I don't see him getting that job from Mr. Bidwill. Maybe a Rooney Rule interview.

So, if they hire a GM, he better not have his own notions about defense. IF they hire a HC, he can't bring guys he is comfortable dealing with for the defense. Which means the Cards WILL NOT get a coach like Reid, Gruden, or Saban, guys who would want control over every single hire.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Holmgren. You watch
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• @JasonLaCanfora: I'm getting the sense more and more than Kelly stays at Oregon, but we shall see. Also expect Andy Reid to end up with the Cards job
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:@JasonLaCanfora: I'm getting the sense more and more than Kelly stays at Oregon, but we shall see. Also expect Andy Reid to end up with the Cards job

I think this is just somebody connecting the dots on Reid-Kolb.
    Can you see the Bidwills paying Reid the 6-8 mil per year he will want? Or telling him he has to keep their coaches and play a 3-4 from now on? I can't.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I don't like the idea of Reid going to the cards, man the NFC west is gonna be stacked if so
    Seatown001
    NET Bench Warmer

• Scottemojo wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:@JasonLaCanfora: I'm getting the sense more and more than Kelly stays at Oregon, but we shall see. Also expect Andy Reid to end up with the Cards job

Can you see the Bidwills paying Reid the 6-8 mil per year he will want? Or telling him he has to keep their coaches and play a 3-4 from now on? I can't.

Apparently phoenix tv stations are already reporting it as a done deal. To be signed by the end of the week. Here's Sando's take:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ike-a-plan
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:@JasonLaCanfora: I'm getting the sense more and more than Kelly stays at Oregon, but we shall see. Also expect Andy Reid to end up with the Cards job

Apparently phoenix tv stations are already reporting it as a done deal. To be signed by the end of the week. Here's Sando's take:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... ike-a-plan

I stand corrected. Weigh that Reid salary against the damage done by blackouts and it would be positively fiscally responsible.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• What's Reid done lately? He had a dream team last year and couldn't guide the ship.

Not worried about this fella.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information