Hasselbeck tweet to Wilson

Zowert

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3p43ikaw said:
disagree. Hass would be a disaster behind this offensive line. Our backup needs to be mobile or at least not really old like Hass.

Love him and his history here but that is just what it is...history.

This is the truth. God forbid Russell Wilson goes down and we had to rely on Matt Hasselbeck behind this offensive line. Russ makes our O-line look a lot better than they are. With Hass under center, it would've been a sack-fest all season long. He was a great QB when the Hawks had a solid offensive line. Like in 2005.

Matt Flynn is a much better backup at this point than Hasselbeck. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. He is one of my all-time favorite Seahawks. But he is in the twilight of his career.. I would like to see Hass come back to Seattle and play a role in the coaching staff. Maybe start as QB coach and possibly work his way up to offensive coordinator. Not sure how good he would be in that kind of position, but Matt is a pretty intelligent guy. So I think he would be a decent coach/coordinator.

I have a feeling Matt will be back in Seattle eventually. I was thinking he would take over Moon or Raible's job as a radio commentator.

Zowert

Reaction score
T. Jackson.. Great guy, wonderful teammate (I hear) and tough as nails. But as an actual NFL quarterback, lets not kid ourselves here. Jackson had very raw talent that was never properly developed. He's kind of like Tim Tebow, except he can throw a little better. Tarvaris Jackson is a second string on a last place team type of quarterback, AT BEST. I think the Bills are utilizing him well, as a third string quarterback. I hate to talk down on a guy with great character like this (especially when he has more talent than me, who am I anyway..?), but its the sad reality...

I think T-Jack would be alright in the CFL though. Not saying that as an insult. I would really like to see how he would do up in the Canadian league.

Throwdown

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3vpfmhoy said:
Tarvarus over Matt? Uhm no thanks. The guy is third string on the Bills for a reason. The fricken bills. Not activated for a single game this year. I'll take a QB that can read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly over a guy that doesn't use his mobility and can't read a defense or decide where to throw the ball all day long even though he limits himself to the right side of the field only.

I don't hate Jackson but I hated him as our starter for good reason and all he did was prove me right by not even being able to earn at least the back up role on a team desperate for a good QB and a team that gave up a draft pick for him so you know they gave him a chance.

This tough moniker is fabricated. Most QB's play with worse ailments than a (torn?) peck that didn't even need surgery after all. Hasselbeck played with broken ribs and only missed one game. Look around the league and you will see it is common place for QB's to play injured but we give Jackson god status because he played through an injury that apparently wasn't near as bad as we all suspected.

I'll say Jackson was a good crash test dummy. Stood way to long in the pocket and when he did try and scramble, he would run right into defenders. Many QB's would end up on IR if they played the way he did but smart QB's don't do that. They read the defense and move the ball quickly so they don't get blasted time and time again.

Whats funny is Tarvaris' one year here was better than Matt's last year here.

Hasselbeck 2010:
SEA
14 266 444 59.9 3,001 6.76 12 87 17 6 40.4 73.2

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... hasselbeck

12 TD's and 17 INT? You would want that backing up Wilson? also add in the zero mobility and less than admirable arm

Tarvaris Jackson 2011:
SEA
15 271 450 60.2 3,091 6.87 14 61 13 5 37.7 79.2

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... is-jackson

Slightly better, but almost similar. Less INT's and more TD's, and a tad higher rating. I'd rather have this on my bench behind Wilson, a better arm and a lot better mobility and a dude that'll lay it on the line, not to mention TJacks younger.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Except that Jacksons only year here he had a much better receiving core, OC, Defense, O-line, running game and schedule.

How's he doing in Buffalo?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2z58qh0r said:
Except that Jacksons only year here he had a much better receiving core, OC, Defense, O-line, running game and schedule.

How's he doing in Buffalo?

Well, Hass couldn't get on the field unless Locker was hurt, and Locker was terrible.

You have a sentimental attachment to Hasselbeck, we get it. but based on age alone he loses to Jackson. Add in those final seasons here, and there is no comparison. It's over dude.

Doesn't matter, neither one is coming back here IMO. Unless they sign Hass to one of those one dollar one day retirement party contracts.

themunn

Reaction score
we're still getting Jackson hate here?

I'm sure Wilson would have struggled with a torn pec and a receiving corps consisting of pre2012 Tate, Obomanu, Ricardo Lockette, Deon Butler and Doug Baldwin.

Maybe not 14TDs 13INTs struggle, but that's still a better season than the following quarterbacks put up:

Ryan Tannehill, Jake Locker, Chad Henne, Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassel & Brady Quinn, everyone that started for Arizona, hell, his QB rating last year was even better than Luck's this year and people are talking about him seriously for rookie of the year.

Jackson isn't the answer if you want a QB who'll go out and put the team on his back on the way to victory, but there are only a handful of guys in the league like that and NONE of them are backups, there's probably only about 10-12 of them in the league. However, he's much more of a fit for our current system than Hasselbeck.

Just look at the Rams game, Wilson is one of the most elusive QBs in the game and got sacked what, 6 times? He avoided probably 6 more. Jackson would probably avoid 3 of those. Hasselbeck would get hit every single time

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I love Wilson but he does hold the ball a very long time. The way you avoid sacks with that kind of pressure is to get rid of the ball quickly. I'm not sure why so many assume that every other QB in the NFL would get sacked as much when most good QB's beat those blitzes by reading the defense and changing the play call and/or getting rid of the ball quickly. Hasselbeck s QB rating went up when he was blitzed not the other way around.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":odko8rd9 said:
I love Wilson but he does hold the ball a very long time. The way you avoid sacks with that kind of pressure is to get rid of the ball quickly. I'm not sure why so many assume that every other QB in the NFL would get sacked as much when most good QB's beat those blitzes by reading the defense and changing the play call and/or getting rid of the ball quickly. Hasselbeck s QB rating went up when he was blitzed not the other way around.
Maybe so, but Pete hated the interceptions.
Matt was prone to making bad decissions and threw the ball up for grabs in his last couple Seasons here, which drove Pete nuts.
Jackson was too much of a statue, and couldn't even beat out Flynn.
Pete loves Wilson for several reasons, mobility to buy time, uses the whole field (un-Jackson), has earned the respect of his team mates (like Jackson) makes big plays even when the protection breaks down, and runs like a RB hellbent for first down, or better,

themunn

Reaction score
RichNhansom":bn9p5ks2 said:

most of those sacks came within 1.5 seconds of the ball being snapped, the ones he held on to for "too long" were wilson extending the play through mobility but ultimately failing to get away rather than throwing the ball into dangerous territory (something Hass did a lot)

Largent80

Reaction score
Hass is class, however, the only way I want him back on the team is to retire a Seahawk.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Thinking this debate could be the ultimate acid flashback to last yr. All thats needed is a clipboard Jesus sighting.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hass is definitely guilty of trying to hard but the alternative with the weapons he had and the defense giving points like a sieve was to play conservative and simply lose. There wasn't a single aspect of our team that was stepping up. It's the same reason you have Hass diving into end zones and getting broken ribs. The other option was settle for field goals. There is a reason BMW had a decent year. It sounds good to say Mastt just threw bad pass's but really ignores the play calling by an OC that fired and the lack of targets to throw to.

I'm not saying Matt was perfect but trying to use examples of the 11 season with Rice and Baldwin a good run game and top 10 defense that doesn't force you into making things happen, is not a realistic comparison. Does anyone believe Jackson could have dug us out of any kid of losing position? If you do then go back and watch the season again because he proved he could not.

What if you took away Rice and Baldwin and our defense went back to 31st in the league with no running game and a tougher schedule, do you think Jackson would have excelled in that environment? What if he was learning a new playbook and receiving core at the same time?

Shock2k

Reaction score
Largent80":2ssfgwvk said:
Hass is class, however, the only way I want him back on the team is to retire a Seahawk.

Agreed, it would be cool to see Matt retire as a Seahawk. After 30 years of watching the Seahawks he is the one QB who took us to the Superbowl. He will always hold a place of honor in my house.