DeAndre Hopkins

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
DeAndre Hopkins
Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:11 pm
  • Stud. Stud. Stud. Stud.

First round pick.

Sensational tonight against LSU - and he's been sensational all year. Pure hands catcher. Superb, crisp routes. Adept at creating separation. Enough speed to make big plays. Tonight Sammy Watkins left the field on the first Clemson drive, and this guy still dominated the game. He's not the biggest, but he's one of the best receivers to enter the league in the last few years.

Stats vs LSU tonight - 13 catches, 190 yards and two excellent touchdowns. Had key plays all night, including a 4th and 16 completion in the last drive of the game. Clemson wins 25-24.

What's more, he's extremely driven and intelligent. He talks schemes in his interviews. Not an ounce of diva in his body. Hasn't complained when Watkins gets the bulk of the attention. Fans in Clemson love him.

Man I'd love to see this guy in Seahawks blue. This is a good draft.
    Last edited by theENGLISHseahawk on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: DeAndre Hopkins
Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:16 pm
  • I'm impressed, damn, he just kept making plays when Clemson needed them.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm
  • Hear that Schneider ! !
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm
  • Not to take anything away from the QB Boyd who was also superb... but man Hopkins made some money tonight. Insane. You don't do this to LSU.

I'm not a fan of any specific college team but always enjoy seeing Clemson doing well.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:19 pm
  • I love this guy. I haven't been able to watch much Clemson this year, but every time I watch them I notice this dude. I actually really like Boyd as a back-up for Russell if we can get him in the 5th or so too.

I think that Hopkins may even last until the 32nd pick (where the Hawks will draft), he should probably be drafted around the 20-26 mark, but I wouldn't be amazed if he dropped a little bit.
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:22 pm
  • This is the guy I want, and I've been telling my father that for the past six or eight weeks. I've seen Clemson play a few times he is a playmaker pure and simple. Yes, our wide receivers have played better in the last half of the season, but it simply makes me drool to think about what Wilson could do with a weapon like Hopkins. DROOL!

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 pm
  • You can just tell he wants to be great, too. Totally fits the attitude of this team. Loved that story during the game about him setting goals every year and he's achieved every single one so far in his career. The only one left on the list for this season was to become a first round pick in the draft. You can just picture him in early with Wilson during the off-season throwing and catching endlessly.

Just draft the guy.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm
  • I'm sure Seattle will get some great talent this year, Hopkins made a huge case to get picked in the first round with that performance.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:28 pm
  • Is he a top 10 type guy or do we have a legit chance at him without a ridiculous trade up?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:35 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Is he a top 10 type guy or do we have a legit chance at him without a ridiculous trade up?

He's a top-20 talent but such is the NFL I think there's a legitimate chance he lands to a position where Seattle can draft him. I don't think he'll run an amazing 40 (probably 4.45-4.5 range) and he doesn't have elite size. But everything else is incredible - control, routes, hands catcher, attitude, competitive spirit. In many ways he looks like a typical Seahawks pick. And thus typically the type of player other team end up regretting they passed on.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:37 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Is he a top 10 type guy or do we have a legit chance at him without a ridiculous trade up?

He's a top-20 talent but such is the NFL I think there's a legitimate chance he lands to a position where Seattle can draft him. I don't think he'll run an amazing 40 (probably 4.45-4.5 range) and he doesn't have elite size. But everything else is incredible - control, routes, hands catcher, attitude, competitive spirit. In many ways he looks like a typical Seahawks pick. And thus typically the type of player other team end up regretting they passed on.

Sounds like a much more high ceiling'd version of Bobby Engram.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 pm
  • I think there's a lot of Roddy White to his game. White was the #27 pick in 2005, ran a 4.45 and he's 6-0, 211lbs. Hopkins will run a similar time, is 6-1 and 205lbs and will probably go in the same draft range.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:59 pm
  • CCBSSports has him ranked #36
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:03 pm
  • Based on how he compared to last year's WR class I'd probably compare his draft stock to Kendall Wright. Nothing about his physical tools "wow's" you, but he's got high first round caliber ability in a late 1st round body. Wright was also a guy who really helped his stock a ton during his final year just like Hopkins just did.

Wright went #20 overall. The sheer volume of FA WRs and WRs in the draft with round 1-2 grades could water things down and cause Hopkins to slide just a little further, but I suspect he'll go in the 15-25 range. We'll probably need to move up for him, but based on the hype level right now I don't think you'd need to go the full Julio Jones to get him.

Seattle can stay put and still get a nice WR at either of their late 1st picks, but Hopkins is almost too perfect for us to not move up for.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 am
  • What do you mean "either of their late first round picks"?

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 am
  • I was going to post this same thing today. I don't think I have been that impressed by the clutch gene of a receiver in a long time.
    I want this kid.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:20 am
  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:What do you mean "either of their late first round picks"?

Wait, what?

Do we have 2 1st round picks this year?
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:54 am
  • Sounds like a Schneider Green Bay pick for sure. Hope Pete doesn't pass him up for Cordarelle Patterson.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:What do you mean "either of their late first round picks"?

Wait, what?

Do we have 2 1st round picks this year?

No. I think Kearly was meaning we could get a receiver with one of their earlier picks in the draft, like 1st or 2nd round.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:26 pm
  • He would be PERFECT for the Hawks. The type of reliable talent that could grow with Wilson for the next 10 years and add much needed depth at WR. I would be thrilled with that pick
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm
  • You also have a thread on Brandon Coleman. Between Hopkins and Coleman, which one of the two would you prefer if Coleman declared?
    Last edited by Erebus on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 pm
  • Roddy White is a good comparison.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:33 pm
  • Erebus wrote:You also have a thread on Brandon Coleman. Between Hopkins and Coleman, which one of the two would you prefer if Coleman declared?

Great question.

It sounds like Coleman is great, but it completely raw. Can we afford to wait three years for him to mature?
    bigdaddydave
    NET Rookie

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 pm
  • bigdaddydave wrote:
    Erebus wrote:You also have a thread on Brandon Coleman. Between Hopkins and Coleman, which one of the two would you prefer if Coleman declared?

Great question.

It sounds like Coleman is great, but it completely raw. Can we afford to wait three years for him to mature?

Tate took about 3 years to get productive for a 2nd rounder, which most coaches believes takes before they become a impact, however, Dez bryant, Julio Jones, AJ Green, the first rounders of the last 2 years have come in an just dominated the league, Coleman has the size and the work ethic to keep up with Wilson,Wilson can enhance or bring him in faster then expected, people say Wilson make the players around him better...

Guess we'll see, we have a decent WR corp, but were lacking that huge target either at WR/TE that can make bank on 3rd down or red zone; Miller was mostly brought in to block, and he has reliable hands, but doesn't have that speed to beat his 1on1. So at 6'6 Brandon Coleman, i feel like Wilson with a large target that can move will just enhance Wilsons scrambling abilities, and the zone read. Mike Belotti said that to stop the zone read is to commit a 8th or 9th defender in the box, leaving the WR/TE 1on1. What i saw in the one of the last games where Wilson faked the hand off, then ran a little and then passed to Lynch, imagine Lynch blocking instead and Wilson scrambles to find a 6'6 guy running down with him, "What a diving catch" :3:

I believe a tall and fast on the field type of WR/TE will be targeted quite early in this years draft, and also a DT too.
    hai
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 am

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:23 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Get him.

I agree.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information