How Will This Team Fair Against The Redskins Offense?

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Sturm":3gnmqbhy said:
I love Big Red but he's going to have to deal with RGIII this week on those options. Red is not exactly known for his speed and so I'm wondering how the coaching staff is going to prevent Washington from running RGIII to his side. I can't recall there being a problem with him vs. Kapernick who also likes to run but my memory is hazy.

I'm hoping that Chancellor will be in the box all day to guard against RG running right around the big guy and preventing Alfred Morris from hitting daylight on those inside runs.

Would like to see a lot of Cover 1 with Thomas shading towards Browner's side since he's more likely to get burned by Garcon and just leave Sherman on an island all day against his man.

Oh yeah...and Bruce Irvine gets to go up against Tyler Polumbus. Hell, I didn't even know this guy was still in the league, much less a starter. Irvin should be able to generate pressure on his side, no excuses.

Big thing Dallas was doing wrong last night was having Ware try to guess where the ball was going. Bring Kam up and have him cut the outside off while the linebackers focus more on Morris and pass coverage. If we can do this, I think we'll be fine. Dallas handled their receivers fairly well last night, though we'll still need to keep an eye on Moss as he's had a knack for finding the end zone this year.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
knownone":2ytylbrz said:
Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.
I'm not knocking Washington you guys are a pretty solid team.

I've watched just about every Skins game this year. If Seattle doesn't sleep walk through the first half, I have a hard time seeing how RG3 at 85% can beat us.

Yea, I remember the Steelers game. That was the game that the skins WR's dropped 10 passes. Literally. Not contesting that we lost, just saying that we have played some decent defenses this year.

Yes, we've only beat 2 teams that are playoff teams this year but we we're 5-1 in the NFC East which is generally considered the best division in football with 3 of 4 teams at .500 or better. Only the NFC North and AFC North have 3 teams with .500 or better records.

Again, it will be a tough match up, but the Redskins at their best can score and score in a hurry. At their worst, they lose to the Panters :roll:

hawksfan515

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":2c0qm89u said:
knownone":2c0qm89u said:
Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.

I've watched just about every Skins game this year. If Seattle doesn't sleep walk through the first half, I have a hard time seeing how RG3 at 85% can beat us.

Yea, I remember the Steelers game. That was the game that the skins WR's dropped 10 passes. Literally. Not contesting that we lost, just saying that we have played some decent defenses this year.

Yes, we've only beat 2 teams that are playoff teams this year but we we're 5-1 in the NFC East which is generally considered the best division in football with 3 of 4 teams at .500 or better. Only the NFC North and AFC North have 3 teams with .500 or better records.

Again, it will be a tough match up, but the Redskins at their best can score and score in a hurry. At their worst, they lose to the Panters :roll:

No offense, but I don't think anyone considers the Steelers defense good. Seriously, they are good in YPG, but that is one of the worst stats ever. They allow like 23 PPG, a much better stat.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3vzealu6 said:
rdskns4eva":3vzealu6 said:
knownone":3vzealu6 said:

No offense, but I don't think anyone considers the Steelers defense good. Seriously, they are good in YPG, but that is one of the worst stats ever. They allow like 23 PPG, a much better stat.

Nor are most people saying that the NFC East was the best division this year...historically yes, but not so much this year.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
hawksfan515":3q37v7pb said:
rdskns4eva":3q37v7pb said:
knownone":3q37v7pb said:

19 points per game, which is not bad at all. Not great, but not bad.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":3p6kgr54 said:

Lets be honest now. Besides the Redskins the division is mediocre this year. Far cry from "the best division in football".

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north. 3 teams with 0.500+ records is pretty good. Are they second best good? Probably not, but it's not the AFC West either lol. It's a good division.

The East fielded 2 of the top 10 offenses n football this year.

They also had all four defenses finish no higher than 15th this year with two finishing in the bottom 3rd of the NFL.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":1ica9w2f said:
Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north.

Yes, and earlier in man's history, we believed witches were real. In reality, they're not; and in reality, we have more wins than the Redskins but we're a wild card. The NFC East is not one of the top divisions in football, and they haven't been in a good while; regardless of what media pundits (who love anything and everything 'east') took a stab at entering the season.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":24zq6prw said:
rdskns4eva":24zq6prw said:
Earlier in the year, most had the east as the second best division after the NFC north.

Yes, and earlier in man's history, we believed witches were real. In reality, they're not; and in reality, we have more wins than the Redskins but we're a wild card. The NFC East is not one of the top divisions in football, and they haven't been in a good while; regardless of what media pundits (who love anything and everything 'east') took a stab at entering the season.

I dont understand how it is the the East can have 1 team at 10-6, 1 team at 9-7 and one team at 8-8, 2 of which had CONFERENCE records of 8-4 and not say they are one of the better divisions in football. Again, the east isnt the best, but it was a pretty good division this year. It was better than:

AFC East
AFC West
NFC South

The only divisions that I would say were flat out better were
NFC West
NFC North

I dont think the AFC South was better cause Im not sold on the Colts at all. I think Dallas, Washington and New York could best that team.

Tical21

Reaction score
Alfred morris scares the dickens out of me. Bobby Wagner can't have another week where he's a step slow. The passing game scares me none. Our corners will squash them like bugs and cam may decapitate someone. Keep the ball away from deangelo hall and pick on josh wilson. I'm worried Haslett can keep wilson on the pocket more than most others. The first team to 20 wins this game.

Tical21

Reaction score
And oh yeah, the nfc east is pretty bad. The eagles are awful. The cowboys are awful. The giants are awful. The skins arent awful, but arent great either. If the team that won 11 games got to play at home, rather than the team that won a crap division by default, the Hawks win by 20. The redskins are at home, therefore they have a chance.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2r3erwam said:
And oh yeah, the nfc east is pretty bad. The eagles are awful. The cowboys are awful. The giants are awful. The skins arent awful, but arent great either. If the team that won 11 games got to play at home, rather than the team that won a crap division by default, the Hawks win by 20. The redskins are at home, therefore they have a chance.

Got to win the division...I only say this because the rest of the NFL was screaming at us for having a home game when we were 7-9 last year. I'm fine with it...we need to win a playoff road game sometime this century, so why not now.

Exittium

Reaction score
Our offense vs Skins D .. skins only thing that helped them beat imo the really crap cowboys... was they blitz ALOT ... which just shows they onw they have a weak defense. Our Defense vs Skins Offense.. I suspect sherman.. possibly browner will get a lot of picks against those slant passes that rg3 loves to throw when he's not attempting to tebow down the center

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
The way I see it, the Skins only beat 2 teams that were playoff caliber this year. By playoff caliber I mean teams with 10 or more wins on the season. No, it's not the best metric but a good eye test. These two teams were the Ravens and the Vikings.

Compare that to the Seahawks who beat the Pats (12-4), Packers (11-5), Vikings (10-6), Bears (10-6) and the 49ers (11-4-1).

In my opinion the Seahawks had a much harder schedule and have proved themselves against top teams, but that was the past and the playoffs are now. Their defense doesn't really scare me... I think they blitz so much to make up for their personell deficiencies.

The Redskins offense is going to revolve around Morris pounding the ball and RG3 picking up crucial 3rd downs. The Seahawks have shown this year that they get hurt by very fast backs, but often hold powerful runners to mediocre games.

If the Seahawks can get out ahead and the Skins are playing catch-up, I think we have it in the bag. Take away that run game and they will be hurting big time.

I think we win pretty much every match-up on both sides of the ball, but it'll be a playoff game and "any given Sunday" is a factor even more so in the postseason.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If the Redskins are going to beat us, it's going to be on the ground. I've watched a couple Redskins games this year, and a lot of their plays were like Flynn against Detroit - dump off, missed tackle, lost containment, and gone. That's not going to happen against us. The Redskins are going to have to grind out a win, and I don't think they're physical enough to do it.

This game still worries me, though. The whole anything can happen vibe and whatnot.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
Tical21":12p6fe30 said:

lol didnt you guys get a home playoff game with a 7-9 record?

Won a crap division by default...Giants beat the 49ers and Packers and put 52 up agaisnt the Saints. Giants did have some bad losses and they got stupid at the end, but they are FAR from being a bad team. C'mon now.

Cowboys are inconsistent but yea for the most part they were not very good.

The Redskins did not win the east by default. They won 7 in a row and swept their end of season division games. They earned that divison title. They didn't back into the playoffs.

jhball

Reaction score
Im feeling pretty confident about this game.
I group the skins with teams like carolina or minnesota. They generally do a thing or two well but are far from a complete team. Id probly throw chicago in that group as well.
Sure they have a chance to win, but if we can stop their running game and control the clock we should be fine.
Honestly the only thing that makes me nervous is that its in their house and that rg3 is hurt. I think if cousins comes in we may struggle (ie Kolb in wk 1).

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think the option to Red's side is a legitimate concern, however I wouldn't be surprised if they assigned Red to crash down on the dive and bring a linebacker up to read RG3, the weakness is that this strategy is susceptable to the slot receiver getting open, its up to Kam and Earl to squeeze the seam route.

It is absolutely vital that on the stretch plays that Red and Clem set the age and the DT's maintain gap integrity. You got to funnel and set the edge to shut down this scheme.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
My biggest concern is the grass field. Hawks are 2-3 on grass fields, beating Carolina and Chicago, but losing to Arizona, Miami and SF. Grass will slow us down. Which means our already crap pass rush will be giving RGIII all the time in the world. We only mustered 8 sacks in those 5 games and 4 of them came against Carolina.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Hey Redskins fans, can you tell me how well your team did defending the read option in your only game against it? I can...you saw 10 read/option plays for 94yds vs Carolina and Cam Newton who we shut down hard. Have fun watching your team lose to the Seahawks again on Sunday.

Latest posts