Football Outsiders final rankings, Seahawks on top

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • #4 ranked defense, #4 ranked offense, and #3 ranked special teams.

The 6th best finish ever.

Pretty dang good.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• Seahawks are now the second best 11-5 team since 1991, would have been #1 if not for dropping so much in week 17. Colts are the worst 11-5 team in that span.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

This is amazing.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Image

This is amazing.

Yes it is. It really really is.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• peachesenregalia wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Image

This is amazing.

Yes it is. It really really is.

I approve this message.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• If I read this right. The NFC West had the toughest schedule as well. Seahawks had the 4th toughest schedule.
    Apeman00
    NET Practice Squad

• Very nice!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Those rankings and a $5 bill will get you a cup of coffee anywhere but Seattle.

I'm thinkin we can change them this coming weekend.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Way better being a top than a bottom. Or so I've heard.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• DVOA means nothing. The Redskins are probably the hottest team in the NFC right now.

Going to be tough. Very very tough.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:DVOA means nothing. The Redskins are probably the hottest team in the NFC right now.

Okay, we get it. You hate Russell Wilson.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Hasselbeck wrote:DVOA means nothing. The Redskins are probably the hottest team in the NFC right now.

DVOA is far from meaningless. It's a lot better predictor than whatever sort-by-win-streak-disregard-SOS idea that's scaring you about Washington.

Not that I think this coming game is a given or anything, but we're a favorite and should win. DVOA helps give some applicable numbers that show why.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• MidwestHawker wrote:DVOA is far from meaningless. It's a lot better predictor than whatever sort-by-win-streak-disregard-SOS idea that's scaring you about Washington.

Not that I think this coming game is a given or anything, but we're a favorite and should win. DVOA helps give some applicable numbers that show why.

#10, #46 .. those are the only numbers you should be concerned about this weekend.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Also, Football Outsiders has Wilson as the best rookie QB this year, which emphatically lines up with my eyeball test and reasoning.

---

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... -worst-qbs

Bonus Top 5: Rookie Edition 1) Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks: 1,014 DYAR (867 passing DYAR, 147 rushing) 2) Robert Griffin III, Washington Redskins: 838 DYAR (729 passing DYAR, 109 rushing) 3) Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts: 379 DYAR (255 passing DYAR, 124 rushing) 4) Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins: 39 DYAR (37 passing DYAR, 2 rushing) 5) Brandon Weeden, Cleveland Browns: -266 DYAR (-290 passing DYAR, 24 rushing)

Wilson surpasses Ryan for the top rookie quarterback season in FO's database and becomes the first freshman at the position to surpass the 1,000 DYAR barrier. (Ryan actually edged over 1,000 DYAR passing, but negative rushing value dropped him below the line.) He also tied Manning's rookie record with 26 touchdown passes, and when you include his four rushing scores, only Cam Newton (21 touchdowns passing, 14 rushing) produced more combined touchdowns in his first year.

Griffin finishes fourth among rookies in our DYAR database behind Wilson, Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger, and Luck is 13th. Luck set a rookie record with 4,374 passing yards, but he completed fewer than 55 percent of his passes and had 18 interceptions, more than Griffin (5) and Wilson (10) combined. Tannehill had a pretty typical rookie campaign, but Weeden was a bust in his first season; given his advanced age (he's a year and a half older than Ryan), he will need to improve radically in his second season to salvage his NFL career.
    formido
    NET Starter

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    MidwestHawker wrote:DVOA is far from meaningless. It's a lot better predictor than whatever sort-by-win-streak-disregard-SOS idea that's scaring you about Washington.

#10, #46 .. those are the only numbers you should be concerned about this weekend.

Because actual hard statistics that have predictive value have no place in the conversations leading up to the game?

Don't hate math. Embrace it.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• The fact that Wilson ranked as the #1 best all time rookie in DYAR is amazing considering that Seattle was near the very top in of the league in handoffs. DYAR is a counting stat, and Wilson topped the charts with about as many snaps as RG3 and WAY fewer than Andrew Luck.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Can people who hate stats stop coming into threads about stats to tell us how meaningless stats are?
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

They aren't. They have won seven in a row, but most of them were very close and only one of those wins came over a playoff team- the fading Baltimore Ravens. That plus they haven't been the same team in recent weeks with Griffin playing hurt.

This is a tremendous matchup advantage for Seattle. They have a gimpy read option QB who throws a ton of screen passes. We have a defense that has done very well this season against both read option QBs and the screen pass. They have a good RB who is more strong than fast. Seattle's run D has done well against that profile of RB. Their defense sucks. Our offense is on fire. Huge blowout potential. If Seattle doesn't shoot themselves in the foot and things play out as would be expected, there is no reason to be afraid of the Redskins.

I'd say that the Seahawks, Broncos, Packers, and even the Bengals are hitting the playoffs hotter than Washington is. The Patriots and 49ers should not be overlooked either.
    Last edited by kearly on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• pinksheets wrote:Can people who hate stats stop coming into threads about stats to tell us how meaningless stats are?

Thank you. Frankly I don't understand the surge in anti-intellectualism this board has seen the last month. We have a ground breaking team at every level- players, coaches, and front office. Advanced metrics (Advanced NFL stats, PFF, FO, etc) love our team, and those metrics pass the eyeball test in flying colors. Smart people are saying very nice things about our team right now. Why not embrace it?
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• pinksheets wrote:Can people who hate stats stop coming into threads about stats to tell us how meaningless stats are?

Even as somebody who hates all the advanced stats (I prefer the eye test, and just watchin football, and I dont care about all this DVOA stuff etc, etc) I totally agree with you.

There's enough different content on this board for everybody, enjoy what you enjoy, no need to rag on or complain about the stuff you dont enjoy. From the thread title its obvious what this topic would be about and nobody is forced to click upon it.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• kearly wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:Can people who hate stats stop coming into threads about stats to tell us how meaningless stats are?

Thank you. Frankly I don't understand the surge in anti-intellectualism this board has seen the last month. We have a ground breaking team at every level- players, coaches, and front office. Advanced metrics (Advanced NFL stats, PFF, FO, etc) love our team, and those metrics pass the eyeball test in flying colors. Smart people are saying very nice things about our team right now. Why not embrace it?

'Cause back in my day, ya stood in line for 4 hours in the freezing cold to get a seat on the steel bleachers to watch your team on a Sunday. For a nickel, you got a seat, a game program, a box of popcorn and a whoopin'. We didn't have no fancy stats. The Quarterback ran the ball, the halfback ran the ball, most players played offense and defense, and you were lucky if you got to see more than one touchdown a game. And that's the way it was and WE LIKED IT!
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:21 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information