If RGIII Gets OROY

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
If RGIII Gets OROY
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:15 pm
  • Will you be satisfied beating them next Sunday?
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

Re: If RGIII Gets OROY
Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:16 pm
  • I hope he does win it. Keep our team feeling hungry and disrespected.

I'm guessing Russell Wilson couldnt care less about the award.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• YES regardless we need to destroy the Skins but isnt the decision on the OROY after the game???
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Just want to win. OROY is only for bragging rights to the common fan (though for the player it is good as he builds his resume).
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:17 pm
  • Get the road playoff win. Would be our first since 1983, correct?

When is the OROY announced?
    Last edited by Aros on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:17 pm
  • I know they have done co-MVP in the past, and I honestly think they need to give it to both RG3 and Russ. Hard to disagree with either of them winning it
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm
  • Objectively speaking, looking at stats alone, and considering East Coast concentration, I think RGIII is the winner. Best hope for RW is if the east coast voters get split between RGII and Luck, and RW wins majority...
    "Hard work beats talent when talent fails to hard work"
    CHawks4L
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:38 pm
  • RGIII can have the OROY, Wilson will win the Lombardi!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:41 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I hope he does win it. Keep our team feeling hungry and disrespected.

Give me a break, I'm pretty sure he cares. He just won't let it show, or affect his performance.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I hope he does win it. Keep our team feeling hungry and disrespected.

Sorry I don't have a link, but he was asked in an interview a month or two ago if he would like to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. His answer was "why wouldn't I want to win?"

So while it may not be his ultimate goal, he does care.

His career goal is to be considered one of the greatest QBs of all time. Winning awards helps.
    Last edited by Erebus on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 pm
  • Erebus wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I hope he does win it. Keep our team feeling hungry and disrespected.

Sorry I don't have a link, but he was asked in an interview a month or two ago if he would like to win Offensive Rookie of the Year. His answer was "why wouldn't I want to win?"

Well of course he would want to win it. But I can guarantee its nowhere near the top of his priority list. I'm just saying if he doesnt win it its not something thats going to reflect negatively on him, and might in fact inspire him to be even better.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 pm
  • If he wins it, it's much deserved. I love Wilson but RG3 has had a phenomenal year and a better statistical one close to 800 yards rushing only 5 ints. Im rooting for our boy but I wouldn't be mad at RG3 getting it. Now Luck on the other hand I'd be pissed with getting it 25 ints is horrible
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I hope he does win it. Keep our team feeling hungry and disrespected.

Give me a break, I'm pretty sure he cares. He just won't let it show, or affect his performance.

Yeah, did you see him looking to dish the shovel pass off to Miller on the game winning TD he ran in? He knew about the record and he wanted to break it, but he was smart enough to go with the higher percentage play and run it in for the score (and secure the win). I imagine same goes for OROY.
    Last edited by CANHawk on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:55 pm
  • When is OROY announced?

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:00 pm
  • Aros wrote:When is OROY announced?

The only thing I could find was last year's winner was announced the day before the Super Bowl.
    Erebus
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 pm
  • I was hoping they would let the playoffs play out before making the decision.

Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:16 pm
  • They changed it from years past.. they announce it at a special awards show now, I believe the night before the Super Bowl.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:14 pm
  • Regarding timing of the OROY - per Sando

You might hear a thing or two about Russell Wilson and Robert Griffin III heading into the Seattle Seahawks-Washington Redskins wild-card playoff game Sunday.

The quarterbacks are leading candidates for offensive rookie of the year. The Associated Press is collecting awards ballots by Thursday, rendering playoff results irrelevant to voters.
    GoHawks
    NET Starter

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:55 pm
  • Aros wrote:Get the road playoff win. Would be our first since 1983, correct?

When is the OROY announced?

Wow 1983 last time we won a road playoff game !
    Time to get that monkey off our backs
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 pm
  • I'm totally fine with RGIII winning the ROY. IMO, he deserves it. I think his stats are better than Wilson's, almost anyway you slice it. In fact, if people having compelling arguments for Wilson OVER RGIII, I'd like to hear it.

The only thing that will piss me off is if Luck wins it over either of those other two.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:22 pm
  • As long as Luck doesn't get it (which he doesn't deserve), I'm fine with RGIII getting OROY, he deserves it about as much as Russell does.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:24 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:As long as Luck doesn't get it (which he doesn't deserve), I'm fine with RGIII getting OROY, he deserves it about as much as Russell does.

:13: :13: I can go with that I just cant go with Clayton's man crush.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:29 pm
  • They are both deserving. Rg3 has been the most consistent rookie QB this year but over the last 5-6 weeks, Wilsons been amazing. It really is a toss up, but Im rooting for my boy RG3!!
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:32 pm
  • rdskns4eva wrote:They are both deserving. Rg3 has been the most consistent rookie QB this year but over the last 5-6 weeks, Wilsons been amazing. It really is a toss up, but Im rooting for my boy RG3!!

Yeah too close to call that's what sucks.. but this has been an amazing rookie qb draft class though; they're the future of the NFL.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Erebus wrote:

Well of course he would want to win it. But I can guarantee its nowhere near the top of his priority list. I'm just saying if he doesnt win it its not something thats going to reflect negatively on him, and might in fact inspire him to be even better.

Sorry , but I don't agree, no Rookie and most Quarterbacks in the League do not prepare, and study as hard for games, I don't see how he'd improve over his thoroughness either.
    I don't believe for one second that he's not already being the best he can be.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm
  • I have a feeling RGIII will win the award, but I don't believe he is the most deserving. Wilson has faced much tougher opponents defensively thus the padded stats for Griffin.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:38 pm
  • Bakergirl wrote:I have a feeling RGIII will win the award, but I don't believe he is the most deserving. Wilson has faced much tougher opponents defensively thus the padded stats for Griffin.

Padded stats implies that he got the yards when it didnt matter. RG3 was THE MOST hyped quarterback of the big 3, by far...not even a close second. And he not only lived up to the hype, he exceeded it.

There is something to be said for a player that was as hyped up as RG3 with all the PRESSURE that comes with that hype playing as well as he did.

No disrespect to RW at all, but he had no hype coming into the season.

RG3 had to carry this team for a ton of games because the defense was just horrid.

Again, not saying that RW should not win because he is deserving, but you have to put the two situations in context. What helps RW is te fact that he is a 3rd round draft pick. You dont expect a 3rd Round Rookie QB to put up the numbers he did.

What hurts him is the fact that he really just started getting hot in the second half of the season where as RG3 has been great since week 1, notwithstanding a couple of games. And again, RG3 was asked to carry the team for the first half of the year until the defense decided to start playing after the week 10 bye.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:46 pm
  • Decimation wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:They are both deserving. Rg3 has been the most consistent rookie QB this year but over the last 5-6 weeks, Wilsons been amazing. It really is a toss up, but Im rooting for my boy RG3!!

Yeah too close to call that's what sucks.. but this has been an amazing rookie qb draft class though; they're the future of the NFL.

That's how I see it - almost too close to call for either Wilson or RGIII. I don't see Luck as being in their same class, in spite of all the passing yards. If your job is to throw the ball every down and hope the right guy comes down with it, then Luck's a shoe-in. Otherwise Wilson and RGIII are both superior quarterbacks at this point.

The couple of knocks I'd have against RGIII would be the high percentage of short, safe passes he's thrown, and the fact he has fewer touchdowns and more combined interceptions/fumbles. RGIII has some great ball control, and the few interceptions he's thrown is pretty amazing. He's fumbled a ton, though, and even if he's only lost a handful, fumble recoveries are really a crapshoot, and thus not a good indicator. Total fumbles paint a better picture. And the caliber of teams he's played against are a slight knock in my book. Luck's done what he has with a cupcake schedule. RGIII had a pretty decent schedule, but Wilson's was absolutely brutal. And he won more games against tougher opponents, without even getting all the preseason snaps and practices.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:52 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Decimation wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:They are both deserving. Rg3 has been the most consistent rookie QB this year but over the last 5-6 weeks, Wilsons been amazing. It really is a toss up, but Im rooting for my boy RG3!!

That's how I see it - almost too close to call for either Wilson or RGIII. I don't see Luck as being in their same class, in spite of all the passing yards. If your job is to throw the ball every down and hope the right guy comes down with it, then Luck's a shoe-in. Otherwise Wilson and RGIII are both superior quarterbacks at this point.

The couple of knocks I'd have against RGIII would be the high percentage of short, safe passes he's thrown, and the fact he has fewer touchdowns and more combined interceptions/fumbles. RGIII has some great ball control, and the few interceptions he's thrown is pretty amazing. He's fumbled a ton, though, and even if he's only lost a handful, fumble recoveries are really a crapshoot, and thus not a good indicator. Total fumbles paint a better picture. And the caliber of teams he's played against are a slight knock in my book. Luck's done what he has with a cupcake schedule. RGIII had a pretty decent schedule, but Wilson's was absolutely brutal. And he won more games against tougher opponents, without even getting all the preseason snaps and practices.

Thats the thing. Again, it was clear early in the year that they held RW back A TON whereas RG3 was the biggest reason for the Redskins offensive success.
    rdskns4eva
    NET Rookie

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:04 pm
  • rdskns4eva wrote:Thats the thing. Again, it was clear early in the year that they held RW back A TON whereas RG3 was the biggest reason for the Redskins offensive success.

Yep. And a lot of us wonder how damn good Wilson would have been if they hadn't throttled him back the first half of the year. Many of us were calling for them to open it up and trust him long before they did. If they had, it's entirely possible he'd have ended up with a bunch more touchdowns and yardage. And most of his interceptions were of the "bad luck" variety - i.e., bouncing off receivers' hands into the defender - rather than the "bad decision" type where he threw it when/where he shouldn't have.

I really think if he'd been given the keys to the starting job from day one and allowed to do his thing, this whole ROY conversation would be pretty much moot by now. And that's why I'd give him a hairs-width nod for ROY over RGIII, and both a good distance away from Luck in third place.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:43 pm
  • Was going to post something to elevate the thread you know, to bring my A game.

But then I realized I'm still hurt that Derrick Fenner didn't get a thousand yards all those years ago and that lost sense destiny, award and accolade won't happen for Fenner. I mean Wilson.

Fenner, come-back player of the year.
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:08 am
  • rdskns4eva wrote:Thats the thing. Again, it was clear early in the year that they held RW back A TON whereas RG3 was the biggest reason for the Redskins offensive success.

I keep seeing argument that RW was asked to do less because he was put on a more complete team (while they turn around and put the Seahawks below those other teams in other rankings because we aren't as complete?) I would like to point out that while RW was asked to do less at the beginning of the season, the Seahawks didn't start to look like a serious contender until he was allowed to do more.
    Bitter
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:17 am
  • The thing that amazed me was just the amount of separation RGIII's receivers were getting, are they that much better than ours?
    It seemed like every TD pass I watched RGIII throw was to a guy with nobody within 5 yards of him.

We only ever seem to get that separation when McCoy illegally blocks upfield
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 am
  • SirTed wrote:I'm totally fine with RGIII winning the ROY. IMO, he deserves it. I think his stats are better than Wilson's, almost anyway you slice it. In fact, if people having compelling arguments for Wilson OVER RGIII, I'd like to hear it.

The only thing that will piss me off is if Luck wins it over either of those other two.

You could make the argument that Wilson isn't as reliant on a system or that he faced a more difficult schedule of defenses. I could see a reasonable argument for Wilson to win it.

That said, I'd probably vote for Griffin. He's been remarkably consistent all season and has put up some impressive numbers. He's completely deserving.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 am
  • rdskns4eva wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:I have a feeling RGIII will win the award, but I don't believe he is the most deserving. Wilson has faced much tougher opponents defensively thus the padded stats for Griffin.

Padded stats implies that he got the yards when it didnt matter. RG3 was THE MOST hyped quarterback of the big 3, by far...not even a close second.

Dude, that's a load of hogwash. Luck was hyped for 2 years as the next Peyton Manning. No one coined a phrase like Suck for Luck with Griffin. If Luck wasn't the most hyped draft player ever, I'd be astonished. Why else is Luck still in contention for rookie of the year?

Also, RG3 and Luck were handed their respect on a silver platter. Wilson earned his, and that should play into the debate.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:52 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:
    Bakergirl wrote:I have a feeling RGIII will win the award, but I don't believe he is the most deserving. Wilson has faced much tougher opponents defensively thus the padded stats for Griffin.

Padded stats implies that he got the yards when it didnt matter. RG3 was THE MOST hyped quarterback of the big 3, by far...not even a close second.

Dude, that's a load of hogwash. Luck was hyped for 2 years as the next Peyton Manning. No one coined a phrase like Suck for Luck with Griffin. If Luck wasn't the most hyped draft player ever, I'd be astonished. Why else is Luck still in contention for rookie of the year?

Also, RG3 and Luck were handed their respect on a silver platter. Wilson earned his, and that should play into the debate.

Case in point: Half the country calls him Griffin, the other half is Griffith
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm
  • Bitter wrote:
    rdskns4eva wrote:Thats the thing. Again, it was clear early in the year that they held RW back A TON whereas RG3 was the biggest reason for the Redskins offensive success.

I keep seeing argument that RW was asked to do less because he was put on a more complete team (while they turn around and put the Seahawks below those other teams in other rankings because we aren't as complete?) I would like to point out that while RW was asked to do less at the beginning of the season, the Seahawks didn't start to look like a serious contender until he was allowed to do more.

This. RG3 also had the benefit of going in the first round and being named starter for Washington from day one. Wilson had to fight for the job and earn his place which took a lot of valuable time from him in camp. Had he the benefit of being day one starter in camp the first part of Seattle's season looks a whole lot different. I'm guessing they win a few more games and claim the #2 seed over the 49ers. What could have been...Yes RG3 put up some impressive numbers, but against what quality of opponents? Wilson faced top defense after top defense and still came out on top. Could RG3 have done the same? Debatable.

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider
    Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:03 pm
  • themunn wrote:The thing that amazed me was just the amount of separation RGIII's receivers were getting, are they that much better than ours?
    It seemed like every TD pass I watched RGIII throw was to a guy with nobody within 5 yards of him.

We only ever seem to get that separation when McCoy illegally blocks upfield

Are they that much better, or were they facing softer defenses? :Dunno:

Bakergirl
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:12 pm
  • There is a legitimate argument for both RG3 and RW getting ROY. So if RG3 does indeed win I will in no way be angry.

Now if Andrew Luck wins I might throw a shit fit.
    BamKam
    NET Starter

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information