Sigi Schmid. Most uninspiring 12th man flag raiser ever?

Ziggy worst flag raiser ever?

• Yes

Votes: 53 58.9%
  • No

Votes: 37 41.1%

• Total voters

olyfan63

Reaction score
Paul Allen is part of the ownership group of the Sounders and the support of the soccer people was a big help in getting QWest/Clink passed and built.
I respectfully disagree with the comment about "least commonality" between Seahawks and Sounders at present, though in the past that may have been true. As the Sounders also play home games at Clink, I would expect there to be a LOT of overlap in the fan base, especially in the people attending games in person at the Clink.

There are only 10 or so Seahawks games out of 365 days of the year. In 2012, there were almost 20 Sounders games at the Clink.
Average attendance at Sounders matches was 43,000+. Total attendance for 2012 was 733,000. The conclusion would be that more people watched Sounders games at Clink in 2012 than Seahawks games. Source: http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/10/2 ... ndance-mls
The point is there are probably a lot more soccer fans in the Pacific Northwest than you realize.

pinksheets

Reaction score
olyfan63":2d0q9n03 said:
Paul Allen is part of the ownership group of the Sounders and the support of the soccer people was a big help in getting QWest/Clink passed and built.
There are only 10 or so Seahawks games out of 365 days of the year. In 2012, there were about 20 Sounders games at the Clink.
I respectfully disagree with the comment about "least commonality" between Seahawks and Sounders.
There is quite a bit more commonality between Seahawks and Sounders than between Seahawks and Mariners, depending on how one defines "commonality".
Not 'least community', I was saying 'least commonality', as if we had an NHL, NBA, and add in the M's, I'd imagine the Venn diagram would show the Sounders as the least overlapping. Obviously this is purely hypothetical, and to make it very clear not anything about 'least community', as someone who doesn't give a hoot about soccer, I'd never brush off the Sounders or let them leave town without a fight or anything. I'm just not sure that Sounders guys are the way to get Hawks fans J & P'd.

I'm just postulating that I think soccer has the most unique fanbase of any of the sports that are in or potentially could be in the city.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sadly, we can't draw that Venn diagram you propose without those 2 "missing teams". I'm past caring about the NBA after having the Sonics stolen. If Seattle can get an NHL franchise, certainly we could test that part of your theory. The Sounders (MLS edition) are only a few years old, I think 4 or 5, but already setting new MLS league attendance records each year. I understand there is some amount of overlap in organization/marketing between Seahawks and Sounders, but don't know the specifics, aside from the need to coordinate scheduling of CenturyLink.

For what it's worth, Sigi Schid has been a fantastic coach, and in his own way, has been like a PC/JS for the Sounders franchise.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Jeebus, between the sniveling about the blue endzones and ripping on Sigi raising the flag in a week 17 game, the Sounder hatred of Jseahawks on this board never stops!

I couldn't care less about the WNBA, Sonics or the NHL (if we get a team) but if we have important local people from those sports raise the flag during the regular season, great! Seattle holds ALL of its icons dear, and whether you like soccer or not, Sigi is definitely a local icon.

Nice of the Seahawks to support ALL of our local sports figures. I would expect nothing less from this classy team.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Was not at the game so i cannot comment on how he did, but the premise of this post and the soccer bashing is really lame. I think it is great that the Hawks reach out and support all the other local sports teams in Seattle.

Slick

Reaction score
I say start raffling to Seahawks season ticket holders starting the pool with fans who've been season ticket holders since the beginning. The organization should only shoot their proverbial wad for big games (prime-time, playoff, playoff implications) and get a former Seahawk if that's the case. I think the war vets are cool too.

Otherwise, who's next, Dan Lewis? Artis the Spoonman? The cast of Singles?

RockHawk

Reaction score
Knew who he was, and didn't mind it per-se, but he was about as stiff and uninspiring in process of anyone i've seen before. No slam on MLS or Soccer at all, he was just bleh.

Oh, and for those saying it must be a sports star or someone "everyone knows and recognizes", I would only counter with Nov. 8th, 2009 & Mr Huston Riley who rivals only Paul Allen as my most memorable and chill-inducing flag raiser.

http://www.seahawks.com/media-loung...on-Riley/3794ffa0-e117-46cb-a49c-36a351b37b4f

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3mdex8bu said:
Jeebus, between the sniveling about the blue endzones and ripping on Sigi raising the flag in a week 17 game, the Sounder hatred of Jseahawks on this board never stops!

Wait, why do the Sounders hate me?! As for me, dont confuse my apathy for hatred. I dont care nearly enough about the Sounders to hate them. The only sports organizations that I could say i truely hate are the Oklahoma City Thunder, the New York Jets and I think thats it.

This was an opinion thread. My opinion is that he was a very uninspiring choice. Yours might be different, and thats fine. As the results so far show, 60% of participants agree with me. As others have said, although obviously there is some, there is not a ton of overcrossing of football and soccer fans. I would bet that a much larger percentage of Seahawks fans are Mariner fans, or Sonic fans than are Sounders fans. That's not me hating on the Sounders, its just the reality of sports fans and the fact that soccer and football don't really mix very well.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1zqizv37 said:
Trenchbroom":1zqizv37 said:

Wait, why do the Sounders hate me?! As for me, dont confuse my apathy for hatred. I dont care nearly enough about the Sounders to hate them. The only sports organizations that I could say i truely hate are the Oklahoma City Thunder, the New York Jets and I think thats it.

This was an opinion thread. My opinion...

Yeah I regret the wording of my first sentence--sorry about that. Too strong and a personal attack.

You are right, it's an opinion. I don't agree but them's the breaks.

hawkmanj

Reaction score
I am not a Sounders or Soccer fan. But as a Seattle Sports fan, I like seeing other icons have a chance to raise the flag.

I enjoyed seeing Detelef raise the flag earlier this year, as it brought back a memory to when I was like 11 and met him.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
They're running out of heroes, Seattle hasn't had all that many inpiring successes tbh.

RockHawk

Reaction score
They should basically go through all 22 of the starters in the 2005 superbowl team and have them raise it individually... well, maybe make that 21 *cough* Hutch *cough*

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
I knew who he was and enjoy watching the Sounders, but his performance was terrible. He showed no emotion whatsoever and had a : | look on his face the entire time.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
RockHawk":3ujkw9ak said:
They should basically go through all 22 of the starters in the 2005 superbowl team and have them raise it individually... well, maybe make that 21 *cough* Hutch *cough*
20 if you count Kelly Herndon.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Given that you didn't like either Gary Payton or Shawn Kemp as flag raisers, it is hardly surprising that you didn't like Sigi. Personally, I have no interest in soccer either, but I can recognize his relative popularity in the city of Seattle. There were dozen of fans in my section who were wearing Sounders scarves specifically to wave them around during this, and I even saw a couple of those stupid trumpet things. It was certainly not an indifferent reaction.

The larger issue here is whether Seattle is an important part of the Seattle Seahawks. We have a lot of great fans who live in other places, and I appreciate the steps that the team makes to be inclusive to the Northwest as a region (even Canada day). As part of this effort it is also fitting for the team to include Seattle residents, which usually involves figures that Seattle residents care about. That may mean a rival in another sport if you are a Hawk fan from another city, but think of it as including the large Seattle fan base rather than excluding others.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":11k0m1e9 said:
I will raise the 12th Man flag someday, and it will be epic.

Oh geez, then i'm gonna have to start a new pole about most uninspiring flag raisers.... :D