Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Ziggy worst flag raiser ever?
Yes 59%  59%  [ 53 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Sigi Schmid. Most uninspiring 12th man flag raiser ever?
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:26 pm 
* NET Moderator *

I'd put him right down there with Drew Carey.

I would have liked to see John Scheider raise it today. He deserves some public love.

Hell, seeing somebody dressed up as this Ziggy would have got me more fired up:

Post subject: Re: Ziggy Schmidt. Most uninspiring 12th man flag raiser ever?
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

First of all, it's Sigi Schmid, and he's an important figure in seattle sports. He might be below Ichiro, Griffey, Felix, etc, but still fires up most of the fans.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm 
NET Veteran

Who?

Edit: googled it. Oh. Sounders coach. Wow. Exciting. I'm glad he had the time to do it however so we could have our blue end zones back.

Last edited by muxpux on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sigi Schmid. Most uninspiring 12th man flag raiser ever?
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm 
NET Veteran

That is all.

Maybe Trent Dilfer?

Last edited by KitsapHawk on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm 
NET Veteran

jseahawks with a demonstration on how to bottom feed

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 pm 
* NET Moderator *

BeastQuake wrote:
First of all, it's Sigi Schmid, and he's an important figure in seattle sports. He might be below Ichiro, Griffey, Felix, etc, but still fires up most of the fans.

Thanks, i fixed it, i had no idea how to spell his name.

If it were up to me none of those guys you mentioned would have ever raised it either even though I love all three. I'd rather it was always somebody directly affiliated with the Seahawks organization. Even if it meant having a lot of repeats.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 pm 
* NET Sage *

Detlef was awful too.

Slightly off topic .. if the Cardinals somehow won today .. I wonder who would have raised the flag in the playoff game? I was thinking maybe Brian Hoyer if he pulled off the magical upset :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Hasselbeck wrote:
Detlef was awful too.

Slightly off topic .. if the Cardinals somehow won today .. I wonder who would have raised the flag in the playoff game? I was thinking maybe Brian Hoyer if he pulled off the magical upset :lol:

Shaun Alexander would have been my pick.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:56 pm 
NET Veteran

Give it a rest already on Sigi Schmid. I say it's awesome to have other Seattle sports figures support each other's teams. It'd be cool to have George Karl, Nate McMillan, Lenny Wilkens, or even someone like Lou Piniella do the honor for that matter. It's even better that Sigi Schmid is a CURRENT coach of a GOOD Seattle sports team that made the playoffs this year.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 pm 
NET Veteran

Yeah I had no clue who it was at first. Now that I know...why do we care about soccer?

Oh well, I guess the real raisers were busy.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:01 pm 
NET Veteran

Sigi won the opportunity by purchasing and consuming the most hot dogs at the stadium the last 4 years.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm 
* NET Moderator *

olyfan63 wrote:
Give it a rest already on Sigi Schmid. I say it's awesome to have other Seattle sports figures support each other's teams. It'd be cool to have George Karl, Nate McMillan, Lenny Wilkens, or even someone like Lou Piniella do the honor for that matter. It's even better that Sigi Schmid is a CURRENT coach of a GOOD Seattle sports team that made the playoffs this year.

McMillan and Wilkens have already done it. Here's the complete list:

http://www.seahawks.com/gameday/12th-ma ... isers.html

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 pm 
* NET Baller *

Chris Hansen!!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]

Not even close. Although he's up there as one of the more anti-climatic, the Seahawks have brought some real lame ducks out over the years. The fish throwers of Pike Place Market (are you kidding me?), sports figures I had never even heard of, the list goes on and on.

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 pm 
NET Veteran

Wait.... Its a bad move to have the coach of one of the best soccer teams in the country that is extremely popular in the community raise the flag? huh...?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:01 am 
NET Veteran

Agreed. He didn't get a big reaction at all and I had no idea who he was. I gave him a pity clap.

I have no shame admitting I loathe soccer.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:06 am 
NET Veteran

therealjohncarlson wrote:
Wait.... Its a bad move to have the coach of one of the best soccer teams in the country that is extremely popular in the community raise the flag? huh...?

Not sure why, but I got a big chuckle out of this comment.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 am 
NET Rookie

Well, I love soccer as well as I love the America National Football League.

I will never understand why there is those that have to dislike one or the other. It is even more idiotic to see stations like ESPN mock it and then realize Oh crap, we broadcast it as well. We have to act like we like it. Then again, ESPN sucks a duck anyways.

I wasn't there so I didn't see it but props to Sigi as he has helped the Sounders become a solid sports franchise. That club is part of the reason why I hope to continue flying up to Seattle at least once a year when both the Seahawks and Sounders play with a few days of each other. :th2thumbs:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:07 am 
NET Practice Squad

Jamie Moyer was one of the best flag raisers of all time!!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 am 
NET Veteran

I would tend to agree. I think if we had NBA and NHL here, I think our MLS team would still be the team with the least amount of commonality with the other sports. I would not be fired up by any Sounder related flag raiser. While there are plenty of Sounders fans who love the Hawks, I do think it inevitably is the sport with the most fans who aren't going to be crazy about the others.

Detleft would get me pumped, personally.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:25 am 
NET Veteran

Paul Allen is part of the ownership group of the Sounders and the support of the soccer people was a big help in getting QWest/Clink passed and built.
I respectfully disagree with the comment about "least commonality" between Seahawks and Sounders at present, though in the past that may have been true. As the Sounders also play home games at Clink, I would expect there to be a LOT of overlap in the fan base, especially in the people attending games in person at the Clink.

There are only 10 or so Seahawks games out of 365 days of the year. In 2012, there were almost 20 Sounders games at the Clink.
Average attendance at Sounders matches was 43,000+. Total attendance for 2012 was 733,000. The conclusion would be that more people watched Sounders games at Clink in 2012 than Seahawks games. Source: http://www.sounderatheart.com/2012/10/2 ... ndance-mls
The point is there are probably a lot more soccer fans in the Pacific Northwest than you realize.

Last edited by olyfan63 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:30 am 
NET Veteran

olyfan63 wrote:
Paul Allen is part of the ownership group of the Sounders and the support of the soccer people was a big help in getting QWest/Clink passed and built.
There are only 10 or so Seahawks games out of 365 days of the year. In 2012, there were about 20 Sounders games at the Clink.
I respectfully disagree with the comment about "least commonality" between Seahawks and Sounders.
There is quite a bit more commonality between Seahawks and Sounders than between Seahawks and Mariners, depending on how one defines "commonality".

Not 'least community', I was saying 'least commonality', as if we had an NHL, NBA, and add in the M's, I'd imagine the Venn diagram would show the Sounders as the least overlapping. Obviously this is purely hypothetical, and to make it very clear not anything about 'least community', as someone who doesn't give a hoot about soccer, I'd never brush off the Sounders or let them leave town without a fight or anything. I'm just not sure that Sounders guys are the way to get Hawks fans J & P'd.

I'm just postulating that I think soccer has the most unique fanbase of any of the sports that are in or potentially could be in the city.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:47 am 
NET Veteran

Sadly, we can't draw that Venn diagram you propose without those 2 "missing teams". I'm past caring about the NBA after having the Sonics stolen. If Seattle can get an NHL franchise, certainly we could test that part of your theory. The Sounders (MLS edition) are only a few years old, I think 4 or 5, but already setting new MLS league attendance records each year. I understand there is some amount of overlap in organization/marketing between Seahawks and Sounders, but don't know the specifics, aside from the need to coordinate scheduling of CenturyLink.

For what it's worth, Sigi Schid has been a fantastic coach, and in his own way, has been like a PC/JS for the Sounders franchise.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 am 
NET Veteran

They ought to let Dave Villwock or Chip Hanauer raise it.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:06 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

Jeebus, between the sniveling about the blue endzones and ripping on Sigi raising the flag in a week 17 game, the Sounder hatred of Jseahawks on this board never stops!

I couldn't care less about the WNBA, Sonics or the NHL (if we get a team) but if we have important local people from those sports raise the flag during the regular season, great! Seattle holds ALL of its icons dear, and whether you like soccer or not, Sigi is definitely a local icon.

Nice of the Seahawks to support ALL of our local sports figures. I would expect nothing less from this classy team.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 am 
NET Veteran

Was not at the game so i cannot comment on how he did, but the premise of this post and the soccer bashing is really lame. I think it is great that the Hawks reach out and support all the other local sports teams in Seattle.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:42 am 
NET Veteran

I say start raffling to Seahawks season ticket holders starting the pool with fans who've been season ticket holders since the beginning. The organization should only shoot their proverbial wad for big games (prime-time, playoff, playoff implications) and get a former Seahawk if that's the case. I think the war vets are cool too.

Otherwise, who's next, Dan Lewis? Artis the Spoonman? The cast of Singles?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:56 am 
* NET Landlord *

Knew who he was, and didn't mind it per-se, but he was about as stiff and uninspiring in process of anyone i've seen before. No slam on MLS or Soccer at all, he was just bleh.

Oh, and for those saying it must be a sports star or someone "everyone knows and recognizes", I would only counter with Nov. 8th, 2009 & Mr Huston Riley who rivals only Paul Allen as my most memorable and chill-inducing flag raiser.

http://www.seahawks.com/media-lounge/videos/12th-MAN-Flag-Raiser---Huston-Riley/3794ffa0-e117-46cb-a49c-36a351b37b4f

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:20 am 
* NET Moderator *

Trenchbroom wrote:
Jeebus, between the sniveling about the blue endzones and ripping on Sigi raising the flag in a week 17 game, the Sounder hatred of Jseahawks on this board never stops!

Wait, why do the Sounders hate me?! As for me, dont confuse my apathy for hatred. I dont care nearly enough about the Sounders to hate them. The only sports organizations that I could say i truely hate are the Oklahoma City Thunder, the New York Jets and I think thats it.

This was an opinion thread. My opinion is that he was a very uninspiring choice. Yours might be different, and thats fine. As the results so far show, 60% of participants agree with me. As others have said, although obviously there is some, there is not a ton of overcrossing of football and soccer fans. I would bet that a much larger percentage of Seahawks fans are Mariner fans, or Sonic fans than are Sounders fans. That's not me hating on the Sounders, its just the reality of sports fans and the fact that soccer and football don't really mix very well.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

JSeahawks wrote:
Trenchbroom wrote:

Wait, why do the Sounders hate me?! As for me, dont confuse my apathy for hatred. I dont care nearly enough about the Sounders to hate them. The only sports organizations that I could say i truely hate are the Oklahoma City Thunder, the New York Jets and I think thats it.

This was an opinion thread. My opinion...

Yeah I regret the wording of my first sentence--sorry about that. Too strong and a personal attack.

You are right, it's an opinion. I don't agree but them's the breaks.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:20 pm 
NET Starter

I am not a Sounders or Soccer fan. But as a Seattle Sports fan, I like seeing other icons have a chance to raise the flag.

I enjoyed seeing Detelef raise the flag earlier this year, as it brought back a memory to when I was like 11 and met him.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:25 pm 
NET Veteran

They're running out of heroes, Seattle hasn't had all that many inpiring successes tbh.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 pm 
* NET Landlord *

They should basically go through all 22 of the starters in the 2005 superbowl team and have them raise it individually... well, maybe make that 21 *cough* Hutch *cough*

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:38 pm 
NET Veteran

I knew who he was and enjoy watching the Sounders, but his performance was terrible. He showed no emotion whatsoever and had a : | look on his face the entire time.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:40 pm 
NET Veteran

RockHawk wrote:
They should basically go through all 22 of the starters in the 2005 superbowl team and have them raise it individually... well, maybe make that 21 *cough* Hutch *cough*

20 if you count Kelly Herndon.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:20 pm 
NET Veteran

Given that you didn't like either Gary Payton or Shawn Kemp as flag raisers, it is hardly surprising that you didn't like Sigi. Personally, I have no interest in soccer either, but I can recognize his relative popularity in the city of Seattle. There were dozen of fans in my section who were wearing Sounders scarves specifically to wave them around during this, and I even saw a couple of those stupid trumpet things. It was certainly not an indifferent reaction.

The larger issue here is whether Seattle is an important part of the Seattle Seahawks. We have a lot of great fans who live in other places, and I appreciate the steps that the team makes to be inclusive to the Northwest as a region (even Canada day). As part of this effort it is also fitting for the team to include Seattle residents, which usually involves figures that Seattle residents care about. That may mean a rival in another sport if you are a Hawk fan from another city, but think of it as including the large Seattle fan base rather than excluding others.

Last edited by AgentDib on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:25 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

I will raise the 12th Man flag someday, and it will be epic.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Seahawk Sailor wrote:
I will raise the 12th Man flag someday, and it will be epic.

Oh geez, then i'm gonna have to start a new pole about most uninspiring flag raisers.... :D

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

You misspelled "inspiring," J.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]