How Will This Team Fair Against The Redskins Offense?

Sturm

Reaction score
I love Big Red but he's going to have to deal with RGIII this week on those options. Red is not exactly known for his speed and so I'm wondering how the coaching staff is going to prevent Washington from running RGIII to his side. I can't recall there being a problem with him vs. Kapernick who also likes to run but my memory is hazy.

I'm hoping that Chancellor will be in the box all day to guard against RG running right around the big guy and preventing Alfred Morris from hitting daylight on those inside runs.

Would like to see a lot of Cover 1 with Thomas shading towards Browner's side since he's more likely to get burned by Garcon and just leave Sherman on an island all day against his man.

Oh yeah...and Bruce Irvine gets to go up against Tyler Polumbus. Hell, I didn't even know this guy was still in the league, much less a starter. Irvin should be able to generate pressure on his side, no excuses.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

You guys have a good offense, but it's not as good as the Skins offense.

Unfortunately for us, RG3 looks like he wont be 100% so that favors you guys. Rg3 at 80% is good enough to beat teams in this league. The Hawks arent one of those teams.

Fortunately for us, we're at home and you guys are on the road. Which is good because you guys are an ELITE team at home. Based on your road record, your not nearly as good as you guys are at home although you put a whooping on the Bills. But they are the Bills...and we arent the Bills. Really, outside of Chicago and the brutlization you put on the Bills, you dont have any impressive road wins.

If our defense plays the ways its been playing for the last 7 weeks, and we run the ball the way we want, this will be a close game. And close games tend to favor home teams. If our offense takes care of the ball the way they've been doing and the defense forces turnovers, it could be a long day for the Hawks. We get turnovers and we dont turn the ball over and in this league, turover ratio is the biggest indicator of wins and losses, period.

If the defense plays the way they played for the first 9 games, we're going to be in trouble. Alot of trouble.

12evanf

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":9yea1bdk said:
This will be a tough game. I cant remember the last time I've seen a defense as physical as the Hawks.

Unfortunately for us, RG3 looks like he wont be 100% so that favors you guys. Rg3 at 80% is good enough to beat teams in this league. The Hawks arent one of those teams.

Fortunately for us, we're at home and you guys are on the road. Which is good because you guys are an ELITE team at home. Based on your road record, your not nearly as good as you guys are at home although you put a whooping on the Bills. But they are the Bills...and we arent the Bills. Really, outside of Chicago and the brutlization you put on the Bills, you dont have any impressive road wins.

If our defense plays the ways its been playing for the last 7 weeks, and we run the ball the way we want, this will be a close game. And close games tend to favor home teams. If our offense takes care of the ball the way they've been doing and the defense forces turnovers, it could be a long day for the Hawks. We get turnovers and we dont turn the ball over and in this league, turover ratio is the biggest indicator of wins and losses, period.

If the defense plays the way they played for the first 9 games, we're going to be in trouble. Alot of trouble.

Washington is #2 in turnover ratios in the NFC, we are tied with Atlanta for #4. When Russell does throw an interception its generally after it hits his receiver in the hands (and other times it results in a game winning touchdown :lol: ). Our defense also generates turnovers. We're pretty evenly matched: smart, fast, game changing quarterbacks compounded with a strong running game and nearly unstoppable defenses when they decide to show up. This will be a marquee bout, but I feel confident that the Seahawks will come to play and take care of business.

cesame

Reaction score
I really don't like Browner going against these smaller, faster WR's

Real chance he gets beat a couple times for big plays

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
I think this is gonna be a slobberknocker.. I will take both team's average D.. Hawks 24 - 15.. I anticipate much screaming yelling and cursing at my TV also possibly a phone throw or two.
We are just so evenly matched except in our strength of competition, and our D's. yours pass D is terrible, our run D isn't..

hawksfan515

Reaction score
For the Skins fan, you are really underestimating our offense. Yes, we seemed to come down to Earth against the Rams, but for some reason the Rams destroy the same division opponents. Just ask SF. We are the only NFC west team to beat them this year. Our offense though, with Wilson looking good, has become a different animal. The only way to win against our offense is to stop the run and pressure Wilson. The only team that got a good mix of both was the Cardinals, in week 1, and Wilson looked like crap for the majority of the game. If the Skins can stop the run well, and then pressure Wilson, we will probably lose. If you can't stop the run, and if you can't pressure Wilson, you are in trouble, big time. Wilson is a big threat, don't let his modest yardage total fool you. He is a big play threat, last game his YPA was 13. He is good.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Things in our favor: We have played two teams that run the option/pistol. We beat them both, giving up 10 points to the Panthers (plus 2 for the intentional safety) and 13 to the Niners, if you just must count the 7 garbage points the Niners scored at the end.

Pete has experience against the option/pistol. So does Bobby Wagner. And our first team D faces it in practice every day.

Things against us. Robbie G throws a nice slant, and the Redskins run a ton of max protect. Griffen has nice deep ball, and the Skins have done a good job of picking apart two deep and quarters coverage. Good thing we almost always play single and trips.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I think the Skins will plan on throwing on early downs and running outside the perimeter, it's going to take a good game from the front seven to negate all the easy stuff and force Griffin to throw outside the hashes in tight windows with rhythm. I've noticed that Washington gets a lot of big passing plays doing slants over the middle targeting in between the FS and SS, so Chancellor will need to put the wood on a few TE and WR when they get to his zone. It all starts with the Skins run game though, so bottle that up and everything gets easier after that.

OP
OP
S

Sturm

Reaction score
cesame":13wz6xjs said:
I really don't like Browner going against these smaller, faster WR's

Real chance he gets beat a couple times for big plays

Me neither. I think Thurmond would almost be a better matchup...if he was healthy. I predict them running a lot of inside slants and then throw in a double-move later on to try to burn Browner deep.

12evanf

Reaction score
From Sando:

Wilson leads the NFL in Total QBR on the road since Week 8. His 107.2 NFL passer rating on the road over that span ranks third behind Matt Ryan (113.9) and Aaron Rodgers (112.5).

:179417:

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Griffin is hobbled and vulnerable. Knock him out of the game early. Jam Moss and Garcon at the line then bring the heat that will plant Griffin a couple feet deep in FedEx field turf.

I also like the Hawks against Morris. He's a solid back no doubt, but he's the type of back this defense can contain.

rideaducati

Reaction score
12evanf":29h8sqbm said:
rdskns4eva":29h8sqbm said:

Washington is #2 in turnover ratios in the NFC, we are tied with Atlanta for #4. When Russell does throw an interception its generally after it hits his receiver in the hands (and other times it results in a game winning touchdown :lol: ). Our defense also generates turnovers. We're pretty evenly matched: smart, fast, game changing quarterbacks compounded with a strong running game and nearly unstoppable defenses when they decide to show up. This will be a marquee bout, but I feel confident that the Seahawks will come to play and take care of business.

The Redskins don't turn the ball over much because they throw a very high percentage of 2 yard passes and let their receivers do the rest of the work. That's how they limited Griffin's ints. The Redskins will be playing from behind on Sunday and I believe that Seattle will force a turnover or two because those 2 yard passes aren't going to be getting the job done and Griffin will have to throw downfield against Seattle. Morris is a plodder and Seattle's defense usually stops those guys, it's the quick shifty guys that give the Seahawks fits.

The Skins pass defense is one of the worst in the league and I have no doubt that Russell will be able to carve them up at will. Their rush defense is giving up 4.2 ypc and are ranked high in total yardage because teams abandon the run game in favor of the pass game. The Redskins have the least amount of rushes against in the league this season, the Seahawks have the second fewest.

With the speed Seattle has on the defensive side of the ball, I don't think the Skins offense will be effective.

Seattle is the better team and should win this game.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'll add that we've improved a lot against the screen play since our game against the Patriots. The skins seem to rely heavily on it, but i think we match up well against it. our dline and LBers has done great stopping the RB screen before they can even begin, and our secondary plays physical enough which makes downfield blocking tough for the redskins receivers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":jk03gkqn said:

You guys barely saw a good defense all year. We've seen quite a few top 15 defenses. I'd say at this point that our offense is better.

Even if he was at 100%, we did very well containing running QBs this year. I think we'll end up forcing RG3 to throw. He's not going to get away with a 3rd of his passes being screens against us, either.

I don't disagree, we have one impressive road win against a good team this year. We seem to have cleared that "bad on the road" hurdle, though.

You've averaged allowing 20.0 points per game over the past 7 games on defense, and many of those were against crappy offenses. I wouldn't list your defense as a strength. You're 22nd on the year by points allowed per game. That being said, your defense has definitely played better in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st. You can say the same about our offense too, though; and that has had a more meteoric rise than your defense.

Also, welcome to the board and enjoy your stay. :)

I, for one, love how the Seahawks defense matches up against the Redskins offense. I think it's going to be a long day for Redskins fans, and that we'll end up with the hat trick. (Having booted the Redskins out of the playoffs 3 consecutive times.)

Starrman44

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":enjgdb8l said:

If you guys protect the ball and force turnovers then it's a close game? If you run the ball they way you want, etc, it could be a long day for the Haws. Well, the same could be said for us. Frankly, if we pass the ball the way we want, run the ball the way we want, protect the ball the way we want and force you guys to make turnovers, well that bodes well for us. However, all of that probably won't happen.

I don't think your offense is clearly better than ours. I think it's pretty even. I think our defense is better than your D, but you guys do get the game on your field, so that may even that out a little.

Beating the Panthers early was a pretty good win for us, especially when they are a common opponent you lost to on your Home field. The game in Chicago was great as well, and anytime you blow a team out 50-17, it's a stellar win. We also played tough in our losses on the road.

No doubt, these are a couple of hot teams right now, so I expect it to be a great match-up.

Honestly, right now I am trying to get a feel for your team before I make any predictions.

Also, thanks for posting. Good luck...

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
rdskns4eva":2gbk4z2a said:

Taking nothing away from the Redskins offense, but Seattle played nine games against top ten defenses (Football Outsiders). Over half of the season against the best defenses in the league and they still averaged 26 points per game. The Redskins averaged a point more at 27 points per game.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3roaajww said:
rdskns4eva":3roaajww said:

You guys barely saw a good defense all year. We've seen quite a few top 15 defenses. I'd say at this point that our offense is better. We've seen 7 top half defenses this year, including the number 1 ranked defense in the NFL (Steelers) but for the most part we havent faced any super dominant defenses)

Even if he was at 100%, we did very well containing running QBs this year. I think we'll end up forcing RG3 to throw. He's not going to get away with a 3rd of his passes being screens against us, either. The good thing about RG3 is that he has proven he can be a drop back passer. There have been MANY games this year where his running was limited yet he was still able to produce. RG3 is a pocket passer first.

I don't disagree, we have one impressive road win against a good team this year. We seem to have cleared that "bad on the road" hurdle, though.

You've averaged allowing 20.0 points per game over the past 7 games on defense, and many of those were against crappy offenses. I wouldn't list your defense as a strength. You're 22nd on the year by points allowed per game. That being said, your defense has definitely played better in the 2nd half than they did in the 1st. You can say the same about our offense too, though; and that has had a more meteoric rise than your defense. I would not list our defenses as a stength either lol, but what our defense does very well is force turnovers. Thats the second most important element of a defense after preventing scores of course.

Also, welcome to the board and enjoy your stay. :)

I, for one, love how the Seahawks defense matches up against the Redskins offense. I think it's going to be a long day for Redskins fans, and that we'll end up with the hat trick. (Having booted the Redskins out of the playoffs 3 consecutive times.)

knownone

Reaction score
Not trying to pick on you but that #1 defense you played beat you 27-12. The Skins have beat 2 playoff teams all year a slumping Baltimore and Minnesota.
I'm not knocking Washington you guys are a pretty solid team.

I've watched just about every Skins game this year. If Seattle doesn't sleep walk through the first half, I have a hard time seeing how RG3 at 85% can beat us.

hoxrox

Reaction score
How's KJ Wright and Leroy Hill doing? Need them healthy. Stopping the Skins running game is my main concern going into this match up.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hoxrox":39gbaziu said:
How's KJ Wright and Leroy Hill doing? Need them healthy. Stopping the Skins running game is my main concern going into this match up.

KJ is fine. He only missed one play. I believe he just got the wind knocked out of him. I agree, it would be nice to have Leroy back this week.