Morning after concerns

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":253l2mnl said:
RolandDeschain":253l2mnl said:
I know, Pehawk. I give them all the credit in the world. It's very OBVIOUS we needed to start getting rid of the ball almost immediately because of that, is my point; and we didn't. For a long time. We kept calling regular passing plays, expecting our friggin' O-line to start magically doing well against a fantastic D-line in pass protection. It was asinine.

Maybe this was on the ALL WORLD Russell Wilson for not recognizing the defense and getting us into successful plays?

Why does it always have to be on the coaches?

When did we start letting Wilson audible out of any play at will? Read option's one thing, freedom to change whatever/whenever is something else entirely. Also, a lot of the pressure was brought simply by their front four, it's not like Wilson was failing to recognize blitzes all day. That D-line is one scary beast.

@Pe: I think it's gonna take me a few more years to get over hating draw plays based on how badly Holmgren ruined them for me, lol.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":g4lsjslv said:
Tech Worlds":g4lsjslv said:
RolandDeschain":g4lsjslv said:
I know, Pehawk. I give them all the credit in the world. It's very OBVIOUS we needed to start getting rid of the ball almost immediately because of that, is my point; and we didn't. For a long time. We kept calling regular passing plays, expecting our friggin' O-line to start magically doing well against a fantastic D-line in pass protection. It was asinine.

Maybe this was on the ALL WORLD Russell Wilson for not recognizing the defense and getting us into successful plays?

Why does it always have to be on the coaches?

When did we start letting Wilson audible out of any play at will? Read option's one thing, freedom to change whatever/whenever is something else entirely. Also, a lot of the pressure was brought simply by their front four, it's not like Wilson was failing to recognize blitzes all day. That D-line is one scary beast.

@Pe: I think it's gonna take me a few more years to get over hating draw plays based on how badly Holmgren ruined them for me, lol.

When did we not? Has Pete told you that Wilson is not allowed to switch plays at the line?

Wilson, imo, is the guy that this is on. He needs to know the pressure is coming and get rid of the ball.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, I'm kind of glad they had their wake up call this week, so they are reminded that not every game is going to have them leading at the half by double digits. They've been reminded of how to play from behind again.

Off to the playoffs with a tough, well-earned victory over a pretty good Rams team.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Wilson deserves some bad credit for some of the sacks he took. At least two weren't really his fault, as they were basically unabated to the QB, but I'm not keeping Wilson up on some holier-than-thou pedestal. However, first-year QBs just don't get free reign to do whatever they want on the field. I don't know what he is and is not allowed to do, but I'd be surprised if they let him do whatever he wants. Anybody else with more insight on this?

He likely has to go with what the play call is, most of the time. It sounds like you wanted him to essentially start ignoring play calls from Bevell, (which frankly, in the 2nd quarter, I'd have been fine with) and just doing what he wants? Not likely to happen. It took us way, way, way too long to adjust to that monstrous D-line of the Rams, and if we take that long to adjust in the playoffs, we're getting bounced out in the first or second round. I don't want to see that happen.

Largent80

Reaction score
It is the playoffs where everything is on the line one game at a time.

I am not concerned about anything. Just let it all out of the box and kick asses and take names.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1h1kwtdb said:
STOPPING MORRIS. RGIII gets all the press, but the guy I'm way more scared of is Morris. Our run defense has been kind of spotty, and I hope they expend a lot of energy preparing for Morris - he is a great back.
Anyways, I expected a tough game - the Rams are a good team and with some upgrades on offense, they are going to be in the thick of it with us and the 49ers for the foreseeable future. The Rams have 2 first-round picks in 2013 and 2014 as part of the windfall they acquired from the Skins, so Seahawks fans better put the lid on the "Rams suck" thoughts as those days are gone.

They do have have a good two prong running Offense, but so do the Seahawks, AND in fact, we also have M Robinson, so they will have a choice of poisons to pick as well.

As far as yesterdays game...With not a lot to play hard for, we saw mostly vanilla from the Seahawks yesterday.
I truly believe that they just wanted a win for the home crowd.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":jb1qf7yg said:
FlyingGreg":jb1qf7yg said:
And I was really bummed they didn't let Russell try to throw for a TD to break Manning's record - why not let him try for it??
I believe he was quoted as saying it was a pass play and he wanted to try and throw it, but realized the pass wasn't there and decided to run it in instead.

The safety who had contain rolled into the endzone, Russ saw that and took the easy 6 points. It was a great decision on his part.

pehawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":25hg5dcj said:
As far as yesterdays game...With not a lot to play hard for, we saw mostly vanilla from the Seahawks yesterday.
I truly believe that they just wanted a win for the home crowd.

Great point, sweetie.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
The reality is, if we're going to the Super Bowl, it's going to be on the back of the offense, not the defense as most of us would have predicted earlier in the year.

But we're still the #1 scoring defense in the NFL. Bend, but don't break is fine by me. The defense just has to put the offense in position to win now. (If they don't score, which has become a fairly common occurrence in the past weeks.)

hawkmanj

Reaction score
I am glad it wasn't a blow out. It gives the coaches something to coach and should ensure the team is extra focused next week.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting that as soon as Bevell started calling designed roll-outs to offset the Lambs pressure, the passing game got much better? I don't know if RW has the freedom to change plays though I suspect he as yet does not (next year IMO). Regardless, I'm with Roland on this one in that I felt yesterday and still feel today that enough wasn't done in the first half to combat the pressure.

As for the defense, I believe it was purposely vanilla yesterday. I was unhappy during the game that there wasn't any blitzing but when they were getting close to tying the game, all of a sudden Seattle blitzed several plays in a row including one from ET that was a thing of beauty. Looked to me like Pete/Gus decided to unleash some blitzing to get the "W" while before that trying to stay as vanilla as possible in order to keep as much off film as they could knowing the playoffs were next on the agenda.

Greenhell

Reaction score
I think they completely kept it vanilla yesterday. Side note, get Mike Rob more involved. He's the least likely player a defense is expecting. Those swing passes were monsters yesterday.