Teams in need of quarterbacks.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The upcoming draft doesn't appear to have very many, if any, top-tier QB prospects. The two at the top of most lists are Matt Barkley and Geno Smith and both of them have issues with their game. The following teams should/may be in the market for a new QB this coming offseason: Kansas City, Oakland, Arizona, Minnesota, Baltimore, Jacksonville, New York Jets, Buffalo. With the draft not being the best option for an immediate upgrade, which of those teams could Seattle trade Flynn to for a draft pick/picks? I would gladly send him to Buffalo for a 2nd round pick.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think the most likely senerio would be a player trade. They have a pretty big contract with a unhappy player. For a draft choice I would be happy if we got a 4th.

sutz

Reaction score
I think we don't actively shop him, but I'm sure we'll entertain offers.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I saw one mock draft on NFLDraftScout.com (not from Rob Rang but the other guy) that had only one QB going in the first round. What a bad year for a QB-needy team like KC to get the #1 pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
Flynns name still seems to pop up on any article concerning QB's available. Many of the available ones coming up have a large smuge on their resume's right now. Flynn not getting the starter gig here isn't such a big issue now that Wilson has shown what he's all about either. I'm sure most teams would have loved to had our problem this season at QB.

pehawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3u9c42gg said:
There is no chance Flynn will be traded for a second round pick. Pipe dream.

Yeah? I said no way Ponder would ever be drafted in the 1st round too. Throw reason OUT when dealing with QB desperate GM's clammoring for their livlihoods.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I also said the same about Ponder... but in fairness we're talking about a guy who played three (?) years at Florida State and had just turned 23. There was also a degree of 'I need to draft my guy' about that decision.

It's a bit different when you're talking about trading a second round pick for a 28-year-old career backup, even if they share mediocre physical skills.

pehawk

Reaction score
True.

I agree. I think the ceiling's a 3rd, and thats if the Hawks deal with the Raiders, Bills, Jags, Jets types of the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
pehawk":2saqjn2i said:
True.

I agree. I think the ceiling's a 3rd, and thats if the Hawks deal with the Raiders, Bills, Jags, Jets types of the league.

Ya left out Cards who don't even have a back up, although Brohm looked better then anyone there has in weeks, and he was pulled off the scrap heap, I know he was considered promising at one time but still two weeks of practice and he's the starter.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I suspect Kansas City, Arizona and Buffalo will all go QB in round one. The Jets - just a hunch - go with Sanchez one more year due to the contract but draft a guy in round two (Glennon or Murray perhaps). I think Oakland will appreciate they have bigger needs than replacing Flynn right now and they've already said they will not be trading picks away this year after the shambles of previous seasons. Jacksonville - Tebow. Minnesota won't dump Ponder after reaching the playoffs. Baltimore will get it done with Flacco and are probably using the playoffs as an incentive. I just don't see a big gap for QB's... especially if guys like Alex Smith are available. And someone somewhere will give Vick another go.

kearly

Reaction score
This year is every bit as QB hungry as last year with far fewer options. If Flynn had hit FA this year instead of last I think the response from NFL teams would be very different. Seattle will get offers. We'll see how big they get. I'm not expecting anything amazing but a 3rd would not shock me. Seattle was offered a 3rd for Matt Hasselbeck in 2010. A lot of teams do not value those mid round picks as much as we do.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1rp3gmw4 said:
I suspect Kansas City, Arizona and Buffalo will all go QB in round one. The Jets - just a hunch - go with Sanchez one more year due to the contract but draft a guy in round two (Glennon or Murray perhaps). I think Oakland will appreciate they have bigger needs than replacing Flynn right now and they've already said they will not be trading picks away this year after the shambles of previous seasons. Jacksonville - Tebow. Minnesota won't dump Ponder after reaching the playoffs. Baltimore will get it done with Flacco and are probably using the playoffs as an incentive. I just don't see a big gap for QB's... especially if guys like Alex Smith are available. And someone somewhere will give Vick another go.

I don't know what Oakland said, but their GM has strong connections to GB/Flynn and they are trying to install a pure WCO- the kind Flynn would be perfect for. They saw first hand what Flynn could do when he ripped them a new one in the preseason. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least make a phone call.

New York might just cut ties with Sanchez. Yeah, new deal and all, but his performance this year makes bringing him back pretty much impossible to stomach for that fanbase. It would be like AZ returning next season with Kevin Kolb at starter or KC coming back with Matt Cassel. Remember- it was only a few months ago that the Jets traded a 4th rounder for a backup QB in Tebow. I could see them being a very realistic trade partner.

I don't think that Minnesota or Baltimore will be looking. I also don't think any team will seriously consider Alex Smith for a starting job, although some team might roll the dice on Vick if he's let go (he might not be).

Buffalo is the only team I'd rule out. I think they might even talk to KC about trading for that #1 pick to get Barkley- at least the GM has indicated a trade up and doing so into the late 1st isn't realistic- the top 3 QBs will not last that long. Flynn's style is similar to Fitzpatrick's so I'd be surprised if Buffalo wanted him. If Jacksonville signs Tebow, I'd rule them out too- though their signing of Chad Henne illustrated that they are shopping for QB options.

You didn't mention Cleveland, but new regimes mean new QBs. Maybe Cleveland moves up and forces a team like Arizona, Oakland, or Buffalo to look outside the draft for QB help.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":3oqvka61 said:
This year is every bit as QB hungry as last year with far fewer options. If Flynn had hit FA this year instead of last I think the response from NFL teams would be very different. Seattle will get offers. We'll see how big they get. I'm not expecting anything amazing but a 3rd would not shock me. Seattle was offered a 3rd for Matt Hasselbeck in 2010. A lot of teams do not value those mid round picks as much as we do.

Kind of what I'm thinking. I am sort of indifferent about what they do with Flynn. H'e d be a good backup, and not as pricey as some around here like to say, but there are teams, as you have pointed out, that will be looking.

So, like I said, I don't think they'll actively "shop" Flynn, but I'd expect offers, whether we hear about them or not.

The only down side would be having to use whatever pick/s we might get to select another QB as a backup. That's not a big downside, as we don't have many glaring holes on the team, but I suscribe to Schneider's philosophy when it comes to picks: More is better. And after all, Green Bay has been drafting, grooming, and trading QBs for years. I wouldn't mind getting in on that action here.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
kearly":1caats2e said:
You didn't mention Cleveland, but new regimes mean new QBs. Maybe Cleveland moves up and forces a team like Arizona, Oakland, or Buffalo to look outside the draft for QB help.
I didn't mention Cleveland because Weeden showed flashes and I think they'll give him a shot with a coach that actually knows how to handle & teach QBs.

pehawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":308ey5uj said:
kearly":308ey5uj said:
I didn't mention Cleveland because Weeden showed flashes and I think they'll give him a shot with a coach that actually knows how to handle & teach QBs.

I'm inclined to agree with you. Cleveland's QB situation isn't bad, really. Weeden and McCoy deserve to play under a professional coaching staff before they're judged.

Cleveland will have a last place schedule next year with a talented roster. I have no doubt their owner will make a wise HC decision (based on his Pitt exp). That's my cinderella team next year.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Maybe add Dallas ? The guy seems to choke when it counts the most. Look at the number of Picks he throws in big games.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I wonder if a team like the Raiders would consider swapping first round picks with the Seahawks for Flynn. A win win for both teams as the Raiders will still get a first round pick plus pick up a starting caliber quarterback and gives the Seahawks the ability to pick up an elite reciever or pass rushing d lineman.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kearly":c3zs7vah said:

Most definitely this.

And when we look at Flynn's resume, we still see the magnificent games as a Packer, but now there is more, instead of just an unknown. Yes, he was beaten out of the starting position by a rookie, but unlike at the start of the year, Wilson's proven himself not to be just "better than Flynn," but has put out one of the best performances EVER by a rookie. Let's look at what Wilson did to put things in perspective:

8-0 at home - first rookie quarterback ever to do that.
11-5 record and the playoffs - very impressive, and with the potential for even more.
26 TD passes - ties Peyton Friggin' Manning's rookie TD record, not a small feat by any means.
+16 TD/INT ratio - rookie record for efficiency.
30 total TDs - good for second all-time among rookies.
100.0 Quarterback Rating - best ever for the franchise, and 4th total this year.
3000+ yards in a run-first offense, with for the most part no-name receivers.

Essentially, Flynn lost his job to one of the top five quarterbacks IN THE LEAGUE this year. That will only make him look better. If Wilson had floundered and had a typical rookie year, folks would think, sure, Flynn's got some issues if he couldn't even beat out this guy. But now those thoughts are nonexistent. Now, they're thinking the same thing they thought last year - "great potential with the bad luck of getting stuck behind a franchise quarterback." But this time, while there are quite a few teams still needing a quarterback, there are far fewer options in the draft to go with those needs. He's done nothing in relief to dampen opinions of him. He wasn't flashy, didn't throw a bunch of touchdowns, but he was required to be steady and not turn the ball over to secure the win. He did. No interceptions. No really dumb throws. Just good saves.

His value will be higher this year than last.

Latest posts