We just had a Reffing preview for the playoffs

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Tightly (annoyingly so) called game that crushed all momentum and flow. On a positive note, we figured out a way to win. On a negative note, it was a massive regression of sloppy play to the first half of the season. Only because the Rams are more penalized than us, did the penalties not strangle us to death.

I hope the players work on the small things (I'm looking at you McCoy generating penalties away from the ball) such as not even giving the impression of penalties. After this incredible season it would be a damn shame if another phantom call (see block in the back at Browns last year) costs us the game.

I'm thinking RGIII and company are going to be about the same test we just had with the rams. A defense and coach that will neutralize many of our advantages through great scheming and outcoaching (reference last year). Our job is going to not shoot ourselves in the foot ala the last game and have the lead wide open going into halftime.

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like ever since 2005 the NFL has been intentionally more lenient with calls in the playoffs. At least it seems like it to me. That 2005 playoffs was a disaster that went well beyond the SB, and it always seemed like postseason officiating was never the same after that.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
if you watched the end of the cowboys vs redskins you saw the cowboys de get flagged for touching RG3. get ready for that too.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2m4ntjow said:
if you watched the end of the cowboys vs redskins you saw the cowboys de get flagged for touching RG3. get ready for that too.

No big worries there. We don't get to the QB much.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
Cowgirls Redskins was basically a playoff game and they didn't call a penalty on either team until mid 4th qtr. I'm sure there was some directive that came down to "let them play". In obvious glaring contrast to Hawks Rams.

Pstark3

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1wee455l said:
brimsalabim":1wee455l said:

silver lining?

A

Anonymous

I think officiating like we saw yesterday is an example of how tight a team will see during a given season. Personally, I think we made it through pretty well, all things considered.

I tend to agree with Kip about playoff penalties being less ticky-tacky.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":sz9hide7 said:
I think officiating like we saw yesterday is an example of how tight a team will see during a given season. Personally, I think we made it through pretty well, all things considered.

I tend to agree with Kip about playoff penalties being less ticky-tacky.

I'll believe when our corners are allowed to "operate" and the Seahawks aren't screwed out of another Superbowl (run)

djb28

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3ajl3p7j said:
brimsalabim":3ajl3p7j said:

LMAO. I liked that one!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1sgpx4fv said:

He got slapped in the head. That will get called EVERY time, no matter who the QB is. Like or dislike the rule, it's the rule and they call it EVERY time.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
kearly":1ptos1yz said:
Maybe it's just me, but it feels like ever since 2005 the NFL has been intentionally more lenient with calls in the playoffs. At least it seems like it to me. That 2005 playoffs was a disaster that went well beyond the SB, and it always seemed like postseason officiating was never the same after that.

Totally agree. Playoff officiating has changed a LOT.

Dunno if you guys saw the Skins and Cowgirls game to end the year on Sunday night, but that was amazing officiating. There were almost no flags and they were just letting guys play.

Personally it would be great to see procedure fouls clamped down on a bit though.

:th2thumbs:

Kixkahn

Reaction score
The refs need to be one main thing CONSISTENT! I don't care how many calls (for the most part) just call the game evenly.

mikeak

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1s1fwkhy said:
brimsalabim":1s1fwkhy said:

He got slapped in the head. That will get called EVERY time, no matter who the QB is. Like or dislike the rule, it's the rule and they call it EVERY time.

Was just going to post this so I will just go -- ^ THIS

Loose or not loose playcalling every ref in the league will CORRECTLY throw the flag on that play. There is a secret to avoiding this though - don't hit the qb in the head.

It wasn't like he jumped up and came down touching the head, there wasn't a football in the area and while the player swatted at it he graced the qb head (seen many of those called and don't like it) -- the ball was out, the defender came in, swatted / pushed / slapped RG3 in the head -- flag - game over

Seeker

Reaction score
Make no mistake about it, the refs are gonna call pretty much everything against seattle in this washington game.
Even slightly eluding to it on NFL network (announcer, "if the refs call this game tight and watch all the illegal contact the hawks do on the line of scrimmage than that benifits the redskin reciever core").