Uh oh NFC...Legion of Boom is back!

Steve2222

Reaction score
Just in time for the playoffs. Welcome back BB! Let the Super Bowl run begin!

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Boo-yah.......BB and Sherm for president 2013

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Trufant had a great game today. May have been his last but a great game.

rsm650

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":3sm09l4i said:
BB will be rusty... yeah?

Hope not. And I am sooooooo done with Trufant.

If I recall I think Trufant saved us from going to OT. He might be getting old, but he did a great job today!

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Welcome back Brandon... this may have been huge. Brandon is rested up (not injured! Hooray!), and he will not make this mistake again. But the problem we very well could have faced is to have been stuck in a position where we rely on Walter Thurmond if BB or RS gets hurt (and no suspension stuff happens). Walter probably would have been activated, played very little, may not have gotten hurt, and we would have been razor thin at DB if counting on Thurmond. Instead, we have Lane and Maxwell up to NFL speed and ready to play multiple positions. That's a great thing to come out of this. Browner can be used all over the field. We can put him one-on-one on a receiver put Lane one-on-one and put Maxwell or Tru at nickel. Then we can run out my favorite defense... put your best defensive player as a spy on RG3.

I'm saying it. Richard Sherman is lined up on Robert Griffin III for the entirety of the first quarter as his personal spy. It would be very interesting and could work much in the way John Marshall had Kevin Bentley spy and slam Steve Smith out of the NFCCG by lining him up directly across from him as a hybrid LB/CB. It was beautiful.

I think Browner could handle lining up as a hybrid LBer/DL/CB/Spy (we call it the cougarback in the 3-3-5... the position Kyle Van Noy plays for BYU, for those of you who saw him completely shut down a QB and dominate him in the Poinsettia Bowl, then that is what I'm talking about). I don't think RG3 has ever seen it, unless he played TCU last year or New Mexico or San Diego State. Other than BYU, I believe those are the 3 schools that run it. I think it would be a brilliant way to cover RG3. Don't say it too loud though, because I don't want anybody trying it on RW. Although I think Russ could exploit it if given a week's notice. Just run a QB spy on RG3 and I bet it is an interesting scenario.

drdiags

Reaction score
I wonder about him having leg issues. You know our guys go balls out on Wednesday. That is when most of the injuries occur such as hamstrings, Martin and Carpenter getting season ending injuries. The team is pretty demanding as far as putting players back in after they miss a lot of time.

No guarantees that Browner starts though I suspect he will and expect it.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3vp966ef said:
Welcome back Brandon... this may have been huge. Brandon is rested up (not injured! Hooray!), and he will not make this mistake again. But the problem we very well could have faced is to have been stuck in a position where we rely on Walter Thurmond if BB or RS gets hurt (and no suspension stuff happens). Walter probably would have been activated, played very little, may not have gotten hurt, and we would have been razor thin at DB if counting on Thurmond. Instead, we have Lane and Maxwell up to NFL speed and ready to play multiple positions. That's a great thing to come out of this. Browner can be used all over the field. We can put him one-on-one on a receiver put Lane one-on-one and put Maxwell or Tru at nickel. Then we can run out my favorite defense... put your best defensive player as a spy on RG3.

I'm saying it. Richard Sherman is lined up on Robert Griffin III for the entirety of the first quarter as his personal spy. It would be very interesting and could work much in the way John Marshall had Kevin Bentley spy and slam Steve Smith out of the NFCCG by lining him up directly across from him as a hybrid LB/CB. It was beautiful.

I think Browner could handle lining up as a hybrid LBer/DL/CB/Spy (we call it the cougarback in the 3-3-5... the position Kyle Van Noy plays for BYU, for those of you who saw him completely shut down a QB and dominate him in the Poinsettia Bowl, then that is what I'm talking about). I don't think RG3 has ever seen it, unless he played TCU last year or New Mexico or San Diego State. Other than BYU, I believe those are the 3 schools that run it. I think it would be a brilliant way to cover RG3. Don't say it too loud though, because I don't want anybody trying it on RW. Although I think Russ could exploit it if given a week's notice. Just run a QB spy on RG3 and I bet it is an interesting scenario.

I haven't seen too many of their games over the past few years, but isn't that similar to how the Packers use Charles Woodson?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Yes, similar. Woodson lines up at CB, Safety, and that LBer position that Boulware played in and had so much success his rookie year sniping passes underneath. Woodson is doing it out of necessity since he has slowed down.

A good example would be how the Hawks used Easley and the 9ers used Lott early in their careers. They were moved all over the place to create matchup issues. Lott was a pro bowler as both a CB and safety. He wasn't moved to safety due to lack of speed. It was because of how much field he covered and kept the defense correct. Same with Easley. You can see what they can do with Earl Thomas as well. He could spy without issue I think. He's fast enough. As long as they don't start running a lot of plays where they are beating guys over the top then it would work just fine.

Bob Sanders was another guy that was sort of lined up all over the place. If it weren't for injuries he'd go down as an all-time great. He just was too small and brittle. Eric Weddle is used this way at times and to great effect. The more the Chargers have gone away from it, the worse they have played. I just think with RG3's unique skill set, you have to come in with a different look than you've given everybody else. We've seen very poor running QB's pick up chunks of yards due to little pass rush as times, and they run for big yardage because we'll have 8 in coverage and 3 "rushing". It won't work against him I don't think. They need to treat him like a RB who can throw very very well, and that's scary because good running backs have chewed us up. Good QB's have chewed us up. Put them together in one package and this has trouble written all over it. The standard Tampa 2 I don't think will be very effective. They at least need to throw some different looks out to confuse him. His athletic ability and smarts are second to none. You have to have the defense dictate and create confusion and throw out looks he hasn't seen as of yet.