Clayton still Screaming LUCK for OROY

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Based on what I saw when he was in college and playing against UW, and also what I've seen on most of the highlights through the year, there has seldom if ever been a quarterback who is able to hand the ball off with such grace and alacrity to whoever is going to actually make the yards and TDs, as Man-drew Luck. Damn, but he can hand off a ball!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
GeekHawk":14gig263 said:
Based on what I saw when he was in college and playing against UW, and also what I've seen on most of the highlights through the year, there has seldom if ever been a quarterback who is able to hand the ball off with such grace and alacrity to whoever is going to actually make the yards and TDs, as Man-drew Luck. Damn, but he can hand off a ball!

Thank you! Now that is the kind of football knowledge I need bestowed up me. I appreciate you!

Spounge84

Reaction score
seahawks875":13e19moh said:
Tech Worlds":13e19moh said:
seahawks875":13e19moh said:
Luck has carried his team all year, if u ever watch him play and not just look at his stats, he is the real deal, Wilson is one of the top qbs in the league in my opinion and a lot better than rg3 but luck deserves ROY

how? by throwing interceptions?
Like I said, u should actually watch football instead for looking at stats and acting like u know football when u really don't know what ur talking about

I have watched, which means I've watched him throw nearly as many picks as he has TD's and also watched him have a completion percentage below 50 in more than a quarter of his games. 4th quarter comebacks are so overrated, if he played that well all game he wouldn't have put himself in a position where it was do or die in the first place.

He doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation for OROY. Doug Martin and Alfred Morris are having better years than him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Could you imagine Kam getting a free shot on RG3, he doesn't slide much.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1ep8s0pb said:
GeekHawk":1ep8s0pb said:

Thank you! Now that is the kind of football knowledge I need bestowed up me. I appreciate you!

I do what I can. I also never 'got' the fawning over Locker, and didn't drink the Ruskell koolaid. Maybe you should try watching football with your own eyeballs and not get your opinions spoon-fed to you.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Luck is somehow getting credit for "carrying his team" when realistically, he hasn't contributed to his team anymore than Wilson has. The big "improvement" for the Colts comes partially because they started a sub-NFL quality QB in Painter for far too many games last year. Wonder what the Hawks record would have been had we played Painter as our guy last season. Luck deserves no credit for that. They also are playing a ridiculously easier schedule. Luck deserves no credit for that. Fact of the matter is, the Colts are still a bad team, they've just had things fall their way. Last I checked, they had a -42 point differential.

I've said this before, but year to year with Luck, the Colts offense jumped from 28th to 18th in PPG. The Seahawks jumped from 23rd to 8th with Wilson. The Redskins went from 26th to 4th. I don't see the argument that Luck has somehow added so much more to the Colts than the other rookies have. People are 100% just following a narrative without any factual evidence to back it up.

Luck has thrown for more picks than Wilson and RG3.....combined.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction(s) earlier in the thread. I always knew the award was decided based on regular season play, but read that the award was "to be decided after the Superbowl" somewhere on this forum.

RW played well today, better than Luck and thus far better than Griffin. But all things considered, I'm afraid "better" might not be good enough for our boy to secure the award. Utter BS.

My un-biased top 3 would be:
RW
Luck
Griffin

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pinksheets":f2c9txha said:
........Fact of the matter is, the Colts are still a bad team, they've just had things fall their way. Last I checked, they had a -42 point differential........
Wow, -42. They're one and done.

jewhawk

Reaction score
It has been a trend here that efficiency stats are being overvalued without any consideration for Luck's usage. This is a great, detailed article from a few weeks ago comparing how Luck's usage affects his efficiency numbers compared to RG3's (the article only compares Luck and RG3, not Wilson). There are arguments that could be made for Wilson or RG3 for ROY also, and it truly wouldn't be a robbery if these three finished in any order for ROY.

I made the comparison in that thread too, but it's worth repeating that there was a thread in this forum a couple weeks ago asking what the best season ever from a Seahawk QB was, and the most frequent answer was 2007 Hasselbeck even though his efficiency stats that year weren't close to his 2005 or Wilson's 2012.. You could consider a lot of the arguments for 2007 Hasselbeck from that thread in favor of Luck in the ROY race this year.

kearly

Reaction score
John Clayton voted for Luck because he won 11 games playing the easiest schedule in the NFL.

John Clayton voted for John Elway for executive of the year because he was lucky enough to sign the best free agent in NFL history.

I like John Clayton. But insightful analysis is not his calling card.

hawksfansinceday1":3kgi6u0o said:
pinksheets":3kgi6u0o said:
........Fact of the matter is, the Colts are still a bad team, they've just had things fall their way. Last I checked, they had a -42 point differential........
Wow, -42. Their one and done.

Actually they play the Ravens who have looked mortal this season. On the plus side, they would face the Broncos/Pats in round 2, and they would surely get smoked in that one.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I thought Rothlisberger won 9 games as a rookie. He didn't start every game until the starter got injured.

kearly

Reaction score
jewhawk":39dzdxin said:
It has been a trend here that efficiency stats are being overvalued without any consideration for Luck's usage. This is a great, detailed article from a few weeks ago comparing how Luck's usage affects his efficiency numbers compared to RG3's (the article only compares Luck and RG3, not Wilson). There are arguments that could be made for Wilson or RG3 for ROY also, and it truly wouldn't be a robbery if these three finished in any order for ROY.

I made the comparison in that thread too, but it's worth repeating that there was a thread in this forum a couple weeks ago asking what the best season ever from a Seahawk QB was, and the most frequent answer was 2007 Hasselbeck even though his efficiency stats that year weren't close to his 2005 or Wilson's 2012.. You could consider a lot of the arguments for 2007 Hasselbeck from that thread in favor of Luck in the ROY race this year.

All the article really argues is that Luck earns recognition for seeing more reps. I find that hard to swallow as much of an argument though, Wilson and RG3 had games this year where they topped 30 or 35 attempts and their efficiency numbers did not change. If either QB were placed in Indy I would not expect them to revert to a 75 passer rating just from passing more and handing off less. Earlier this season Wilson struggled precisely because the team did not utilize him enough which robbed him of the ability to establish rhythm.

I do think that some QBs- namely Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, do truly seem more a product of the system than anything else. In a far less exaggerated sense, both Wilson and RG3 had a tangible benefit from playing in such well rounded offenses.

But that said, how many 6th round rookies have the kind of season Morris just had? It's reasonable to think that RG3's threat to run had a symbiotic relationship with his running game. Similarly, Lynch just had a career year when paired with Wilson, a dual threat QB. If we are going to detract from those QBs for having a running game, some of that should be given back for making their RBs better.

And to me, the idea that 2007 Hasselbeck was better than 2012 Wilson is way off the mark. There are many ways to exploit defenses against the pass- having a rushing attack is not the only way. Seattle also played one of the easiest schedules in NFL history that season. The 2007 offense was basically a very heavy dose of Hasselbeck to Engram. Before this season very few people suggested that 2007 was even Matt's best year, so it seems weird that they'd say it now when Wilson has surpassed 2005 Hass.

Just my opinion, but I know greatness when I see it, and Hasselbeck was never a truly elite QB in the same breath as Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady. The last 10 weeks, Wilson has been that good, whether statistically or by the eyeball test.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ue948z8 said:
I thought Rothlisberger won 9 games as a rookie. He didn't start every game until the starter got injured.
Nope. 13-1 as a starter, and a playoff win.

Tical21

Reaction score
It it just an impossible debate. All three are deserving. I'd probably give it to Luck. The Seahawks are better than the Colts in at least 16 of the 21 other positions, probably more. In my opinion, less than a handful of QB's in the NFL could have won 11 games with that roster, regardless of strength of schedule, and to be brutally honest, I doubt that RW would be one of them. On the flipside, I'd put the number of QB's that could have won 11 games with the Seahawks roster closer to 15 or 20. So there is just no way to make it an apples/apples comparison. I've seen at least 9 or 10 of Luck's games this year, and the dude is flat-out ballin', especially when it matters most. Really impressive stuff. And I haven't even talked about RGIII yet. I dunno. I guess I'm in the camp that doesn't really care. They're all going to be mainstays in the playoffs if healthy, and this debate is a decade away from being decided.

As for Clayton, the guy knows absolutely nothing about football. Nobody knows more about roster moves or stories behind the stories, and he is one of the best football reporters in NFL history. He works incredibly hard at what he does (and has an even harder working staff to tell him the things he doesn't know), but having never played a football game in his life, there will always be a disconnect between Clayton and what actually happens on the field. So like Kearly said, take his analysis with a grain of salt.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If "Running QBs" are penalized, because they have a good running game, should throwing QBs be penalized because they have good receivers, who can actually catch those hail marries they throw? Andrew Luck is still throwing the ball to Reggie Wayne, an above average receiver.
Some of these arguments by ESPN are just silly and stupid.
RW's numbers in the second half of the season have been superb, by ANY QB standard. ANY, including those guys who have been in the league for 10+ years. RW should be thrown in the MVP conversation for crying out loud. Lots of his numbers compare with Payton Manning and Aaron Rogers or Ryan. I would give the MVP to Adrian Peterson, btw. Manning get comeback player of the year. But RW is definitely the ROTY.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SharkHawk":jzad9k5n said:
2 John Clayton facts:

1- John Clayton = Biggest Nerd in History of Universe
2- John Clayton had his own office in Seahawks headquarters. When Paul Allen bought the team, Clayton's office was taken away and he had to start doing his Seahawks reports from the parking lot of HQ after practices. He was so incensed by how he was treated he leaked a bunch of stuff about the "dysfunctional Seahawks management". When he was called on having lost his office in team headquarters he acted all huffy as if it wasn't true. He does dislike the Hawks and he knows why... and it has nothing to do with David Greene and Mystermatt.
That sounds an awful like what Ruskell apparently did to Sando. Which made Sando butt-hurt so he trashed the Hawks for a long while.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Research Notes
NEXT LEVEL: Russell Wilson completed 8-of-9 passes for 173 yards on throws outside the pocket Sunday, including a 44-yard pass to Golden Tate on the Seahawks' game-winning touchdown drive. That is the most single-game passing yards for any quarterback outside the pocket over the last two seasons. Wilson entered the game with a league-high 57 completions outside of the pocket, and five touchdown passes (tied for second).
ESPN Stats & Information

Kryten

Reaction score
Who should win ROTY? Kind of like having three kids show up at your door late on Halloween but only having one piece of candy left.
Who gets it? The one you are most familiar with? The cutest? The one wearing a green Borat thong? All deserving.

Luck will win because for years all we've heard about him is that he's the next great QB. RG3 and RW are nice stories, but Luck has been preordained for this award for long time. He's the reason Indy tried to lose as many as possible in order to get him. Now they've gone back to being normal, with an easy last-place-- which is perfect for Luck.
Wilson probably won't win because he's in Seattle. Although I can see a scenario where RG3 pulls enough east coast votes from Luck, then RW gets enough of the intelligent vote to win.

I just hope Wilson earns the Lombardy trophy.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
seahawks875":38z61dse said:
Luck has carried his team all year, if u ever watch him play and not just look at his stats, he is the real deal, Wilson is one of the top qbs in the league in my opinion and a lot better than rg3 but luck deserves ROY

Luck also leads the league in both interceptions pick-sixes. I get it his stats aren't great but I bet you the Colts would be even better had they kept Manning.

I don't buy the (no weapons) excuse with Luck, Reggie Wayne is a Hall of Famer and Ty Hilton is a pretty solid receiver. Luck's been aided by his dome, being in shootouts which lets him throw a lot and the fact he got to play the Jaguars and Titans four times.