Reminiscing about the old days of .NET, what do you got?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Whatsyourprob, the troll of trolls in my opinion.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• seahawk2k wrote:Whatsyourprob, the troll of trolls in my opinion.

He used to send me PMs all the time asking how to insert images, change fonts, insert hyperlinks, etc. Not sure why he did that but after the 10th time I just stopped replying.

He also didn't get my humor - thought I was a drug addict.
    Slick
    NET Veteran

• I don't think he "got" much.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    Minne wrote:I remember being a 15 year old immature boy. Was banned once or twice. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

That was just last year.

Justin Minne isn't kidding either, his first avatar was him riding a 4 wheeler. He and I got pretty well acquainted through the years. He lived with his Grandparents for a while in a little town on the Canadian border and I used to kid him about it.

Geez Justin even I wasn't so old then. hahahahaha

Such are the people that built this place in the early days.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• bigtrain21 wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:I will give you an example from another board. I was a member of a softball board that had about 10,000 active posters. There was this guy that went by the name of Danger Mouse and he would come on and make these long drawn out posts (think of my posts, but times them by about 5). He would just get on a rant and go and go and go. Nobody really knew how to respond to Danger Mouse, but he was such a troll (a knowledgeable one... but still liked to bait people into stuff) that there needed to be a good response. After a while a new poster emerged with the name Safety Cat (get it... opposite of a Danger Mouse) and he wouldn't respond to Danger Mouse directly at first, he would just make super long meandering posts shortly after Danger Mouse did that sort of made every opposite point that DM had just made. Then they got into it directly and it was like the most entertaining war ever. I'd be on that site all day at work just looking for responses.

Did you think it was the same person that created a second account to argue with himself or do you think it was a user who finally got sick of Danger Mouse and decided to troll him.

Safety Cat... Ha ha

That was the original thought, but by the end we were all 99.9% sure Safety Cat and Danger Mouse were different people. Quite a few of my friends met Safety Cat at board get togethers (they'd have a national meeting for a weekend once a year) and Safety Cat appeared at a few in a row, and it was easy for them to tell that they were entirely different people.

As far as people talking about Steve Harper. He's still around. He's gotten in on the Facebook groups now. We have one for all of us who used the Seahawks Usenet group (many of us have been there for about 20 years). Steve was never a usenet user, but has decided recently to take over the usenet group and start the same dumb fights. I left that group, but people showed me how to block him. He just seemed interested in picking fights with me. The Usenet group is more just a place where all of us old friends from the early 90's and on have kept up since many of our ISP's don't carry newsgroups at all anymore, and it's a pain to use them through google. So... we keep in touch through Facebook.

I guess the Hawks official site did some nice article on Steve recently though. I didn't read it. I heard it was good. He just likes to get right down to it when discussing the team. There isn't really much room for discussion. He states his point and if you don't agree then you've kind of missed the point of his post. He isn't much into discussing. He's more like a sportswriter who states their point and would prefer that you don't respond. I think he'd be really happy if his posts were always just locked. Sort of like Rick Reilly's deal with ESPN. He's the only writer there that doesn't have comments at the end. He has a clause in his contract that makes it so that ESPN can't put comments from users at the end, he can't be questioned, called out, etc. Some folks prefer the one way discussion. That's fine with me, but if that's all they want, they should really create their own blog and see if anybody reads it I think. Discussion boards are fun because we get to discuss things.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• The Radish wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:
    Minne wrote:I remember being a 15 year old immature boy. Was banned once or twice. Can't believe it's been 10 years.

That was just last year.

Justin Minne isn't kidding either, his first avatar was him riding a 4 wheeler. He and I got pretty well acquainted through the years. He lived with his Grandparents for a while in a little town on the Canadian border and I used to kid him about it.

I remember when he outed himself as being like a junior high or early high school student on the board. I was blown away, because his posts showed so much more depth and knowledge than a lot of the stuff I was reading. He has a great mind and is an excellent writer. I wasn't impressed just because he was young, I was always impressed with his writing and great write-ups on things, but then finding out he was so young just made it that much more impressive and really took away a lot of our excuses for "lazy posting"!

I wonder how many PM's you've sent Les. That would be an interesting stat in the history of .NET. I bet you must have set a record in the days following Super Bowl XL. I can remember you talking me off the ledge so to speak a few times when I'd just get so darn angry, and you were there to keep me positive and let me vent my anger, but to remember that if I didn't follow the rules I was hurting the mods, because you guys were working your tails off as it was. I think that's when it started to "click" with me that I had to start being nicer and that we all represent our team and our fanbase and how others view us. Hopefully I've been nicer since then, and I thank you for committing so much of your time to let us all have our gripe sessions over the years. I wonder how many Steelers trolls got banned those weeks. I can remember Todd's warnings and they were very fair and right there on page 1. Anybody who couldn't read it and understand why it was put in place right after that abysmal game and post NFL ridiculousness deserved to get punted.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Slick wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:Whatsyourprob, the troll of trolls in my opinion.

He used to send me PMs all the time asking how to insert images, change fonts, insert hyperlinks, etc. Not sure why he did that but after the 10th time I just stopped replying.

He also didn't get my humor - thought I was a drug addict.

You should have asked for receipes in return. Mark was a CIA trained chef.

(That's Culinary Institue of America for you untrained)

I used to laugh when his wife would lock him out of the computer room and she would post for a while. He was proud of his American Indian Heritage tho sadly I don't remember what tribe. For the most part he was a good guy, but could get pretty fired up about Seahawks.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• PMs?

I've said many times Jon that I have sent more PMs than I have posts through the years.

Proud to say I've met some darned nice people that way.

The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• That's crazy Les. So we're talking probably 20,000? You'd probably have a really interesting book if you put them all together. :)
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• The Radish wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:

That was just last year.

Time has flyed by my friend and keeps flying by.
    Minne
    NET Veteran

• Flied? Flown? Flew?
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• RockHawk wrote:
    THE TABS wrote:My all time favorite .net moment was the day I said....

FINALLY......THE TABS HAS COME BACK TO SEAHAWKS.NET!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, that felt good!

A close second all-time favorite moment was constantly explaining why Matt Hasselbeck was an average quarterback. It's been so much fun watching Russell Wilson validate everything I said about him. Wilson hasn't even finished his rookie season, and he's already the best QB in franchise history.

It's great to be back posting again.

Ah shit... there goes the neighborhood. :34853_doh: Time to shut the place down...

Judging by the lack of response TABS has received in this thread, we don't have too many old timers reading this thread. Had to do a double take. What's next? Steve Harper? Not surprising that TABS favorite .Net moments are himself telling people things. ;)
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Previous

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information