Russell Wilson and the Sophomore Slump

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Russell Wilson and the Sophomore Slump
Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:37 pm
  • Here's a list of QB's that have gone in the first or second round of the draft since 2007.

2007 QB's
    JaMarcus Russell: Lol
    Brady Quinn: Lol
    Kevin Kolb: Lol

2008 QB's
    Matt Ryan: No slump
    Joe Flacco: No slump

2009 QB's
    Matthew Stafford: He was injured most of his second year
    Mark Sanchez: Didn't really have a slump.. but not spectacular
    Josh Freeman: I don't know if you can count him, started half way through his rookie year

2010 QB's
    Sam Bradford: Threw only 6 TD's in 10 starts. And won only one game.
    Tim Tebow: No comment.

2011 QB's
    Cam Newton: Made the Pro Bowl his rookie year. But didn't really improve his numbers this year.
    Jake Locker: Didn't begin his rookie year as the starting QB, but definitely not have a good 2nd year
    Blaine Gabbert: Well, he just sucks. Didn't think he should have been drafted in the 1st round at all
    Christian Ponder: He's actually having a improved 2nd year I think
    Andy Dalton: Also, having a great 2nd year
    Colin Kaepernick: Didn't start rookie year.

At first I was kind of weary about a trend for QB's to have a slump in their second year. Mainly because, well Stafford got injured his second year, Bradford did as well, but really under performed when he did play, and Cam Newton isn't improving. And looking at last year's rookie QB's, only one of them who started last year is going to the playoffs. (Ponder is still up in the air). Gabbert and Locker are disappointments.

It seemed like it was a pattern that QB's hit that sophomore slump. But really, when looking at this list it's not really a pattern. Considering if you go back to 2009. And I think Wilson is way too much of a hard worker to let that happen to him.

And I guess, which rookie QB is most likely to hit the sophomore slump next year? Luck, RGIII or Wilson? My vote is definitely RGIII
    parson420
    NET Practice Squad

• If he does, I don't think he'll become a laugher of a QB, and it won't nearly hurt us as much as it did Carolina when Newton was slumping earlier this season due to the team around Wilson. It's not something that worries me, to be honest, and maybe I'm being really naive.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Basing this shit on history is dumb. Russell isn't those guys.

Russell is Russell. Nobody else. Watch. And Witness.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Where's the date on 3rd round QB's who start from day 1 and how they do their sophomore season?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Scottemojo wrote:Basing this shit on history is dumb. Russell isn't those guys.

That's what I think too, Wilson isn't any of them and has too great of work ethic. But I can't help but look at possible patterns in history and speculate.
    parson420
    NET Practice Squad

• JSeahawks wrote:Where's the date on 3rd round QB's who start from day 1 and how they do their sophomore season?

I didn't include them, because I wanted starters. But because you asked

Trent Edwards in 2007
    Kevin O'Connell in 2008
    Colt McCoy in 2010
    Ryan Mallett in 2011

What' Trent Edwards doing now?
    And Colt McCoy had possibly the worst sophomore year out of all of them.
    parson420
    NET Practice Squad

• Scottemojo wrote:Basing this shit on history is dumb. Russell isn't those guys.

That's the same for ANY comparison made on this site. Therefore, I'm glad you said it. I'm sure you'll refrain from making similar comparisons in the future. :th2thumbs:
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Wilson's already avoided looking like a rookie during his rookie season. He has the smarts, physical characteristics, and running game to avoid a severe dropoff.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Somehow, I think the whole 'sophomore slump' meme is a product of how the coaching staffs handle rookie QBs. There seems to be two schools of thought, one being just throw them out there and let them learn under fire, while the other is to 'coach them up' by letting them back up for a year or two for 'seasoning.'

With Wilson, we kind of split the difference where we put him out there from day one, but brought the whole offense up to speed somewhat slowly, letting him grow into the job a bit. Perhaps he could have "done it all" from the first snap but we'll never know. We do know that both Wilson and the rest of the offensive side of the team have shown magical improvement since early September and seem ready for the post season run. The plan may have cost a couple of wins early on, but the results right now are pretty impressive.

I'd say Pete Carroll has done an excellent job with Wilson and I predict there will be no sophomore slump for Russ.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Re: Russell Wilson and the Sophomore Slump
Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 pm
  • RW won't slump, it's not his way. RW is the kind of guy who obsesses over his craft, not one who will be filled with self satisfaction over a little success.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 pm
  • Russell Wilson is too smart and too much of a work-a-holic to have a sophomore slump. I'm not worried.
    Jake Hawks
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:27 pm
  • Teams now will have ample film of Wilson to peruse over the off season. Inevitably, Russell will begin to see some exotic defenses that are conjured up specifically to stop his scrambling (if possible) or make sure they stay on their man the whole time until the play is over. But for every counter on defense, I believe the Hawks have a good counter on offense since we are pretty damn good in the run game as well. The team is not a one trick pony on offense, which I believe will help prevent any "sophomore slump".
    Mjolnir
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:34 pm
  • Here is what I stated in a different thread in this subject

I think (no stat to back this up) that sophomore slump usually comes from extremely gifted players. Those players that doesn't have to put in the same amount of work and yet excel at their position. As they get lazy / overconfident in the offseason AND opposing teams gets 16 games on tape they create the sophomore slump. The difference in players like RW and Peyton Manning is that their work ethic is what makes them continue to develop and stay one step ahead continuously.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:36 pm
  • ask dan marino about his softmore slump
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 pm
  • I just don't see Wilson having any trouble in his 2nd yr.Just wondering how many of the players mentioned above had coaching changes or OC changes their sophomore season,different coaches different schemes.Could take some time to get used to.

"Linebacker, it's not like it's rocket science," Tatupu said with a laugh. "Just hit the man with the ball."
    Knoxioushawk
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm
  • AwwHellNo...Russell is the TRUTH.
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 pm
  • I don't expect Russell to improve immensely next year. He looks pretty darn good now. I do expect teams to adjust and I expect he will be given more opportunities to capitalize on opposing weaknesses.
    No Sophomore Slump in Seattle!
    OlyHawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:07 am
  • Anything short of what he does this year will seem like a slump, but it won't be. #defendingsuperbowlchamp
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 am
  • First off, lets get through the first season first. Second, I am curious what type of person Russell is. If he is motivated to continue disproving those that thought he might be too small or not as good as various other Qb's selected this year than he will try to continue improving himself during the offseason. He will always be linked to this particular quarterback draft class of 2012 so he should want to continue improving.
    Tattooedseahawk
    NET Rookie

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:35 am
  • I am thinking the staff will have to revoke his access to the facilities and lock up the film room when the off season hits just to make him take a break. I bet he is going to set up a work out schedule with his receivers and have a tendencie book on every DB in the league as well as general schemes of every team on the schedule come the first OTA.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• He's only going to work harder in the off-season, because he wants to be the QB talked about 100 years from now. He has huge goals to achieve, so I see him studying 5 days a week through the entire off-season to get his own personal game-plan set for each game next season. He'll keep filling his book full of new info on every DB in the league, every LB corps, every pass rusher coming at him, defensive schemes, plays, and limitations. He will dissect every last detail to be the best there has ever been. Even if he never reaches that level, it won't be for lack of effort.
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

• I think the sophomore slump is players who get by on natural talent,and things catch up to them after teams study film.The way RW studies film and plans for the next game is unique.He want's to be prepared,and works with coaches/playcallers for a new game plan for each week.He is so ahead of other rookie QB's this way,it seems like the first four weeks were his rookie season.When he caught up with the speed of the pro game, it didn't take long.Now he acts like a pure veteran.Cool and poised under attack by great defensive players.I don't worry a bit about next year.Other team coaches might worry a lot more than I do.
    Fisherhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Exactly. The logic in the OP is very similar to the type of logic Hawkblogger used when he argued that Wilson couldn't succeed because rookie QBs tend to post low numbers historically. What he didn't consider was that very few rookie QBs walk onto a team as loaded as this one, and very few QBs have the hall of fame type intangibles that Wilson has. Wilson was clearly a one of a kind player in a one of a kind situation, so comparing him to ordinary QBs in ordinary situations missed the mark.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Jazzhawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Basing this shit on history is dumb. Russell isn't those guys.

That's the same for ANY comparison made on this site. Therefore, I'm glad you said it. I'm sure you'll refrain from making similar comparisons in the future. :th2thumbs:

haha. The best basis for seeing if there will be a rookie dropoff is seeing how a guy performs the 2nd time he gets to face a team. Surprisingly, RGIII has had a falloff the 2nd time. Wilson has not.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Teams will have tape on RW so they may contain him a bit better but as some one posted already he will have experience against them too. Russell learns from his mistakes. The will adjust but he will study that and adjust as well. The key will be Lynch though. If teams focus too much on Wilson beast mode will be waiting for them.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 am
  • Wilson works to hard to slump
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:Teams will have tape on RW so they may contain him a bit better but as some one posted already he will have experience against them too. Russell learns from his mistakes. The will adjust but he will study that and adjust as well. The key will be Lynch though. If teams focus too much on Wilson beast mode will be waiting for them.

Wilson was better in the 2nd game against all three west teams. They had both film and experience.

Kid is gonna kill it next year.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• You know who else has tape of Russell Wilson? Russell Wilson.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:16 am
  • I don't see a sophomore slump for RW. He works too hard.

Like what he said yesterday: "The separation is in the preparation." Awesome.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information