Whats your confidence level in Hauschka?

Road game. Good weather. 48 yard game deciding FG.

• Boom! Automatic

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • 75% chance he makes it.

Votes: 81 56.6%
  • 50/50

Votes: 32 22.4%
  • 25% chance he makes it.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • We're doomed. Season over.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

themunn

Reaction score
Aros":10pm7vhy said:
I have had the same weird feeling of doubt with him. I'm still aggravated that he doesn't have the leg to kick it out the back of the endzone on kickoffs.

are you sure?
i mean, the best place to put the ball is pretty much in the endzone if your kickoff coverage is good (and ours is great), we stop returns before they reach the 20 more often than they pass it I'd say

jewhawk

Reaction score
League-wide, kickers are about 60-70% from 48 yards. Hauschka's accuracy on medium-range FGs seems about average or maybe slightly better to me, so of the poll options I'd say 75%.

This year, Hauschka is 3-3 from 40-49 yards with makes of 47, 44, and 40 yards. He's 1-3 from 50+ with a made 52 yarder, a missed 51 yarder, a blocked 50 yarder, and a missed 61 yard attempt at the end of a half.
Last year, he was 7-8 from 40-49 yards with makes of 43, 47, 45, 49, 42, 48, and 43, and the miss was a blocked 41 yard attempt. He was 2-4 from 50+ last year with makes of 52 and 51, a miss from 51, and a miss from 61 at the end of a game.

On a related note, something coaches always seem to do that really bugs me is settling for a medium-long FG attempt at the end of a game. If we have the ball at the 30 with 30 seconds left, I would hope Pete continues attacking to try and set up an easier attempt. So many coaches run a play to the center of the field, let the clock tick down to :03, call a time out, and send out the kicker hoping for the best. Moving up from the 30 to the 20 would increase the likelihood of a successful FG by about 15%.

Jase

Reaction score
Maybe the Rams' kicker will want to go "play for a winning team."

Seeker

Reaction score
Haushka is the weak link,

Some of the early losses were kinda sneakily a result of pete not really believing in his kicker IMHO. There were a couple of plays early in the season where anyone would nomrally have kicked the field goal but we either decided to punt it or go for it. I'd go as far as to say i don't feel comfortable with haushka on any kick over 35 yards even in perfect weather conditions.
I was really surprised when we went this route since steven seems to be a clear step down from Mare. Olindo was a strong leg with the odd tendency to shank a chip shot every now and then. Josh brown was as close to a superstar kicker as i ever thought humanly possible until the rise of legatron. He was money from 40+ had great direction on the ball and could even hit if it came down to it. I got this creepy feeling just like you that if we blow the playoffs it would be his fault.

hawker84

Reaction score
i've been saying since the pre season since he missed all those long kicks, i have no faith in him over 45 yrds,, and 50/50 40 to 45... i think we need to address this in the off season,... just my opinion.

VaporHawk

Reaction score
What kind of kicker has his extra points blocked. c'mon Haushka, get with the program.

250px-Steven_Hauschka_2012.JPG

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Before you write off Haushka take a look at his play after the kick the last few games. I have found myself commenting a few times lately to friends and family about how fearless he is on kick returns. He is always right in the shlt. That by itself is huge, throw in his actual stats and he looks even more convincing. I would love to have a 60+ yard weapon just like everyone else but I think you'll find that Haushka (and Ryan) both are pivotal to the Hawks special teams effectiveness of late. A kicker with great hang time and pit bull instincts on the return can be a huge asset.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
25% he makes it. I know he's like some huge canadian or something, but I dont trust him past 39 yards eh.

I've always felt we should keep someone like Olindo Mare.

Honestly why should you look for a kicker? to save 3 million? really?

:141847_bnono:

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Mare is last in the NFC right now. Josh Brown is next to last in the AFC. Count your blessings. :thirishdrinkers:

kearly

Reaction score
Hauschka's been good this year, but I think your feeling of dread comes from the fact that Seattle is 0-3 this year in games where Hauschka missed a FG. He's only missed 3 all year.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
GoHawks":3ah3y7lx said:
Alot of his kicks seem to have a low trajectory - blocks a possibility?

This is what bothers me and why I have zero faith in him. Every kick, even extra points, are inches away from being blocked. Then you see a guy like the Rams kicker who boots it so high over the line that there's no chance of it getting blocked.

Throwdown

Reaction score
He's a kicker, I'm always nervous! Doesn't matter who we have back there either... Unless it was Zurlein....

hawker84

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2rznqe1l said:
Before you write off Haushka take a look at his play after the kick the last few games. I have found myself commenting a few times lately to friends and family about how fearless he is on kick returns. He is always right in the shlt. That by itself is huge, throw in his actual stats and he looks even more convincing. I would love to have a 60+ yard weapon just like everyone else but I think you'll find that Haushka (and Ryan) both are pivotal to the Hawks special teams effectiveness of late. A kicker with great hang time and pit bull instincts on the return can be a huge asset.

i would settle for a kicker who can hit a 48 yarders... he's not that guy .. tackling on ST is great, but we need a clutch kicker who can hit from 45 to 55 yards out on a consistent basis

el capitan

Reaction score
The touchback % doesn't really bother me. I wouldn't be surprised
if he gets told not to kick it out the back of the endzone so as to
increase the likelihood of a turnover on the return.

AVL

Reaction score
"Always compete" didn't seem to apply to kickers last summer. The kicker from Purdue was brought in occasionally to rest legs.