Is it time to ditch Thurmond?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Bring Thurmond back. Like others have said, he's not a burden financially. He's shown enough talent that if he ever got healthy, he'd be a legit #2 corner.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Why are we so quick to kick good players off the team?? Jeez.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think we need to see how the season pans out. The guy has had some tough breaks and it is disappointing to not have him on the field, but, I don't see the harm in having him showing up in the spring.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3cxjoi43 said:

His ability is not in question, as was clearly stated.

His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

Is he worth the roster spot when he is perpetually injured? That's the crux.

To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60869

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Thurmond is good. when healthy.... he has been a liability this year.. but still remember he was our STARTER last year over trufant, and Sherman... he is good..
Just squishy.. until his rookie contract is over he is still 2nd best corner on this team. (When healthy) THAT is worth holding on to until we have no choice.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":39dtgi4k said:
Jazzhawk":39dtgi4k said:

His health is very much in question. And it's not "so quick"...we have been seeing this for 3 seasons now.

To those who are saying "it's not hurting us keeping him"....I'm not sure that's true. He is taking a roster spot from someone else.

Again, I like him a lot. Just questioning if it's diminishing returns. Right on cue, now it looks like he is IR'd:

Would you rather have Walter Thurmond take a roster spot or Ron Parker? One is a very good player who might get injured and go on IR, in which case another roster spot is created. One is an average player who likely will be inactive every week.

Thurmond is the more valuable player, even if he does get injured. The reward is greater then the risk. If he were taking up a ton of salary cap space, or if we had a better player on the roster that we had to cut for him then we should move on. But he's not, and we dont.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Jazzhawk":12tlxxq4 said:

Gee, I don't know, maybe because he can't stay healthy?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
He will come to camp next year to compete for a spot.

He will get injured and not make it out of camp.

We have spent entirely too much time on this guy.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wesy6f2 said:
FlyingGreg":2wesy6f2 said:
Jazzhawk":2wesy6f2 said:

Would you rather have Walter Thurmond take a roster spot or Ron Parker? One is a very good player who might get injured and go on IR, in which case another roster spot is created. One is an average player who likely will be inactive every week.

Thurmond is the more valuable player, even if he does get injured. The reward is greater then the risk. If he were taking up a ton of salary cap space, or if we had a better player on the roster that we had to cut for him then we should move on. But he's not, and we dont.

Your Duck bias is showing!

:lol:

Just kidding....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's under contract for one more season and will cost about $700 K for next year. At this point he's played in 5 of 50 possible games incl. this weekend. He'll likely get to end of next camp to demonstrate he's worth keeping around, but his injury record does not argue well for his future here. Fortunately the team has some depth at CB now.

drdiags

Reaction score
Thurmond probably will blossom with another team. He just has buzzard's luck right now. Maybe another team can get him healthy and he remains that way? Guy can flat out play but getting away from the PNW may do him some good.

Let him play out his rookie contract, since it isn't killing the cap. Cut him if he isn't healthy at the end of next camp and re-sign him to a modest 2-3 yr deal if he plays all of next year. Otherwise, Jeremy Lane and Maxwell are your 3rd and 4th DBs. Draft your usual DB type in the draft and keep piling them up.

Thurmond was a good gamble. He would have fit right in with the sudden gush of young talent that is sprouting up across the team.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
drdiags":yix8z5ez said:
Thurmond probably will blossom with another team. He just has buzzard's luck right now. Maybe another team can get him healthy and he remains that way? Guy can flat out play but getting away from the PNW may do him some good.

Let him play out his rookie contract, since it isn't killing the cap. Cut him if he isn't healthy at the end of next camp and re-sign him to a modest 2-3 yr deal if he plays all of next year. Otherwise, Jeremy Lane and Maxwell are your 3rd and 4th DBs. Draft your usual DB type in the draft and keep piling them up.

Thurmond was a good gamble. He would have fit right in with the sudden gush of young talent that is sprouting up across the team.

Voice of reason, as always.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2qlua5sz said:
All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.

Small sample size caveat applies, but when Thurmond played his last full game in 2011- he was lights out (vs. Giants). In his first game back in a starting role this season he was lights out again. I agree that it's a little silly to compare Thurmond to Sherman just because his sample size isn't big enough (insert drug test joke here). However, if Hawkblogger had phrased it by saying that in Thurmond's last two starts he played on an elite level, I would not disagree. Frankly, the news today about Thurmond's IR took a lot of the shine off of the Sherman news earlier this week. A healthy Sherman/Browner/Thurmond trio would just be sick and wrong in the playoffs.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":1ofdmxh8 said:
MontanaHawk05":1ofdmxh8 said:
All joking aside, it says something about Thurmond's talent that PC/JS have kept him around for this long through all the ridiculous DB churn. Hawkblogger, in a moment of hyperbole, called him "as good as Sherman" today. He's not that good, but it says something that he even draws those comparisons.

Small sample size caveat applies, but when Thurmond played his last full game in 2011- he was lights out (vs. Giants). In his first game back in a starting role this season he was lights out again. I agree that it's a little silly to compare Thurmond to Sherman just because his sample size isn't big enough (insert drug test joke here). However, if Hawkblogger had phrased it by saying that in Thurmond's last two starts he played on an elite level, I would not disagree.

So are we paying him 700 grand a start?

Revis money?

bighawk

Reaction score
I believe that would be a major mistake, from what i was reading on here last year the same things were being said about Okung and look at him now. The guy had injuries he was trying to come back from so give him a break. He is extremely talented so why give up on him? We have great depth at the position so if it wasn't for his injury plus Trufant being out as well as Browner the other guys would not be able to display there talents. I call it a blessing in disguise the Giants have a surplus of pass rushers and the Seahawks have a surplus of outstanding corners so i say keep them all until we can't afford them then trade them for draft picks if push comes to shove.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bighawk":1b7ztg0m said:
I believe that would be a major mistake, from what i was reading on here last year the same things were being said about Okung and look at him now. The guy had injuries he was trying to come back from so give him a break. He is extremely talented so why give up on him? We have great depth at the position so if it wasn't for his injury plus Trufant being out as well as Browner the other guys would not be able to display there talents. I call it a blessing in disguise the Giants have a surplus of pass rushers and the Seahawks have a surplus of outstanding corners so i say keep them all until we can't afford them then trade them for draft picks if push comes to shove.

No, not the same comparison. Okung didn't miss whole seasons. He at least was able to come back from his ankles. This guy gets hurt then he's done for the year. He is the most brittle player on the team. I need to see at least 5 games in a row before I'll change my tune from injury prone to merly snake bit.

ensett

Reaction score
Thurmond is our Bob Sanders. Cant name a player in the league more fragile than him