Frightening Thought: Russell Wilson will get better

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
AirForceSeahawk":3sga5ex4 said:
I think that's what people are confused about. Many of us are excited about the future, not just this year performance. And we are surprised that it happened now.
Not everyone is. I saw flashes in the KC preseason game. And I posted about it after that game though it got very little raction. I'm no expert but I do watch a QB's head to see if he is able to go through his read progressions and is able to look off the safety. In order to be able to do those 2 things he must have an excellent understanding of the offense and be able read the defense correctly. Reading defenses and then choosing the correct place to throw the ball (as in single coverage) is the number one thing that will make a QB successful at the college or pro level. I saw RW doing just that in the preseason game vs. KC. He has obviously improved on this ability as the season has progressed, but he's pretty much had it to some extent all along as witnessed by his like 18 TDs and ZERO interceptions in the red zone this year. Russ will improve plenty over the years, but I for one am not entirely surprised by how rapidly he's got to the point he is at.

Oh and Kearly saw it after that KC game too so it wasn't just me.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Wilson to Stevie Johnson would be insanely fun to watch. I wish the Bills would make another idiotic trade with us.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well it is kinda scary that he can get better.

I think he can (and will) get better with his accuracy. Some of his deep balls are a bit underthrown. He can also get sharper on his over all accuracy, which he has already done impressively this season. Game 1 and last game are almost bipolar opposites.

Once he can consistently get the ball into tighter windows, he won't have to double clutch as much (elite WR would help this), and can beat blitzes with quicker hot reads that are actually open.

We're a WR and a couple more very good OLmen away from being a Patriots-esque offensive dynasty.

Twisted

Reaction score
I think the main improvement for Russel and as a team is TRUST

mikeak

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1i7mr255 said:
Not everyone is. I saw flashes in the KC preseason game. And I posted about it after that game though it got very little raction. I'm no expert but I do watch a QB's head to see if he is able to go through his read progressions and is able to look off the safety. In order to be able to do those 2 things he must have an excellent understanding of the offense and be able read the defense correctly. Reading defenses and then choosing the correct place to throw the ball (as in single coverage) is the number one thing that will make a QB successful at the college or pro level. I saw RW doing just that in the preseason game vs. KC. He has obviously improved on this ability as the season has progressed, but he's pretty much had it to some extent all along as witnessed by his like 18 TDs and ZERO interceptions in the red zone this year. Russ will improve plenty over the years, but I for one am not entirely surprised by how rapidly he's got to the point he is at.

Reading defenses is overrated - sincerely Michael Vick

djb28

Reaction score
I still Think T.O would have had one hell of a season here!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
mikeak":2a9swinp said:
hawksfansinceday1":2a9swinp said:

Reading defenses is overrated - sincerely Michael Vick

:lol: :th2thumbs:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
THE TABS":t2ufvs1p said:
Here's the thing about Wilson that a lot of people haven't realized yet; he's having the season he's having while running his third offensive system in three years. His ability to process information so quickly is impressive.

Now, if we can get him a true game breaker to throw to, this offense will be truly scary, and will cement us as legitimate title contenders for the next five years and beyond.

He's got poise, is unrealistically calm and can multitask like a mofo

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
djb28":2kxmrme2 said:
I still Think T.O would have had one hell of a season here!

Hummmm....Pete and the rest of the coaches would not agree with you. They must have had some mighty good reasons for letting him go.

Yakima Hawkster

Reaction score
drdiags":1sv0fgck said:
The Seahawks haven't armed Wilson with the Hurry-Up yet. They probably have been working on it and most likely will break it out next week. I am not sure how much freedom he has with audibles either. So he should get better as time goes on and he has full command of the playbook.

If they've been working on hurry-up, they should wait to unleash it on either the Niners, the Packers, or the Falcons in the playoffs.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
A complete off season w/ him as the "known" starter and I expect an explosive improvement that will put the fear of god in all Defenses on the planet. Combine that w/ a couple more pieces and we become a true elite powerhouse......damn I am excited. Go Hawks!!

themunn

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":xpn0jd7k said:
kthebestwayw":xpn0jd7k said:
MontanaHawk05":xpn0jd7k said:
He'll get better once we get better receivers.

exactly what I was about to post. I think we draft another Doug Baldwin or Golden tate type of playing or maybe get one VIA FA which I doubt will happen.

That's what I DON'T want. I want someone who can run routes, flash open in the first two seconds pf the play, give us some quick short/intermediate options, rather than forcing Wilson to double-clutch from the pocket ten times and then scramble a la SF. He's amazing at it, but eventually I fear it's going to get him killed. I'd like DeAndre Hopkins or Markus Wheaton.

I was thinking about this and looking back at the SF game in particular - Wilson's scrambling style is going to quickly force coaches to tell their defenders to textbook tackle rather than looking for the big hit to shake him up (which is usually what you'd aim for to make him think twice), because he's making defenders look foolish every time they come at him too quickly.

12thMode

Reaction score
Yakima Hawkster":e7sab17t said:
If they've been working on hurry-up, they should wait to unleash it on either the Niners, the Packers, or the Falcons in the playoffs.

I'd much rather them try to practice it against the Rams a few times instead of trying it out for the first time in the playoffs.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think part of the amazement we're seeing here is because we've seen so much of an improvement from day one until now. Luck and RGIII have been playing at their respective levels most of the season. Wilson was thrown into the mix with little preparation, and yet continues to learn and improve week to week. I think it's also contributed to the success we've seen the last few weeks. Suddenly he's given the go and allowed to do more, and he is, and teams haven't seen that before. They game-planned the Russell Wilson from a few weeks ago, and it's just not the same.

He has a high, high ceiling. The frightening thought is that his ceiling is already higher than most folks thought, and he has years before he's considered "in his prime."

Oh, and yea, this:

12thMode":3uynlfhw said:
Yakima Hawkster":3uynlfhw said:

I'd much rather them try to practice it against the Rams a few times instead of trying it out for the first time in the playoffs.

dunceface

Reaction score
Russell "Tremendous" Wilson has a tremendously high ceiling.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
drdiags":2gjq13xp said:
The Seahawks haven't armed Wilson with the Hurry-Up yet. They probably have been working on it and most likely will break it out next week. I am not sure how much freedom he has with audibles either. So he should get better as time goes on and he has full command of the playbook.

Gotta disagree with you friend.

Only way we break out the hurry up offense is if we need serious catchup.

Seahawks mantra is one of time managment. We don't need to have a sprint race with teams like GB, NE, we would lose, they have been doing this for years.
What is important to note is one of the reasons NE always has problems with it, is that it puts the opposing offense on the field to fast too soon.
Best defense for us is to keep their offense on the sidelines, and we take our leisure in scoring.

It's all about time control. We just don't want to do whats "hip", we don't need to. we have a defense, that can actually stop the other team.
No sense keeping the our D on the field all the time.. rest them and when they come in..look out!

drdiags

Reaction score
Team reporters state that the plan is to implement the no-huddle as a tactic next year. Based on conversations with Seahawks coaches. Whether they ever use it or not is another thing.

mikeak

Reaction score
Ok not to tout my own horn...... Nevermind LET'S!!

I called it last week. I said a hurry-up like NE did against 49ers so a true hurry up not the Peyton Manning no-huddle and to that add the read option and go Iregon style would crush opponents. There are not many teams that could defend against RW and Lynch in a hurry-up read offense.

The way to control clock in this mode is more short passes and runs. You still eat time by keeping the chains moving. As the long ball opens up you take a few shots to keep defenses honest.

I love this an woul not be surprise to see a few series in the playoffs...