Where Has The Toughness Come From This Year?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Hey guys,

This is RiggoForever from the 05 and 07 seasons (much to my chagrin that they didn't end differently for us, but oh well).

Anyway, you look at Pete Carroll's face, and he looks soft. Not like a man who can inspire ferocity at the NFL level. How have the Seahawks gone from a team that looked lost on the final drive in the opener against Arizona, to a team that can put a KILL ORDER on the San Francisco 49ers and execute it to near perfection? Where has the mental toughness grown from this year - who have been the team leaders? I figured Carroll was soon to go back to the college ranks after the first Arizona game - but now he looks like a genius.

Also, the intensity and loudness at Qwest seemed entirely different for the 49ers game then when you played the Redskins there last season.

Most importantly, how did you hold Romo and Dallas to 7 pts in your game against them? Lately they've been looking like world-beaters with their comeback tendencies in the 4th quarter.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• Tanzania
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• One word: Giacomini
    Grahamhawker
    NET Rookie

• i think alot of it has to do with the fact that our team is made out of rejects who want to prove that they can play, Aside from Earl Thomas and Russell Okung, pretty much all of our players are trying to prove that they feel like they deserve to be in the NFL.

Ill name a few,
    Richard Sherman always brings up the fact that he was drafted in the 4th/5th round and it motivates him.
    Mike Rob was cut from the whiners
    Brandon Browner left the NFL to go to the CFL where its less competitive.
    Bruce Irvin was suppose to be a wasted first pick.
    Russell Wilson is told by everyone that hes to short to play in the NFL
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• SNDavidson wrote:Tanzania

This!
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• Take a bunch of highly talented overlooked/underated guys, from Lynch to Sherman, hand them the opportunity to stick to the people who doubted --> let loose the hoard.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Grahamhawker wrote:One word: Giacomini

Whattup Breno? Nice of you to join the board.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• "Always Compete".
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• By the way, the undersized helmet makes me meaner. Better than roids!
    Grahamhawker
    NET Rookie

• Pete may appear soft but there's nothing soft about the approach he tries to instill in his players. From day one, competition has been his 1-word mantra. The tough, hungry, relentless players tend to rise to the fore in that type of environment. Not only that but he's got hard-nosed coaches like Ken Norton Jr. and Tom Cable helping him to motivate his players. As far as leaders, you've got players like Red Bryant and Kam Chancellor on defense who are tough as nails. On offense, the leaders (Wilson, Unger) aren't necessarily your typical tough guys but they are unflappable, and across the board the players are mentally strong.

I think what has really changed this year has been the cohesiveness. There really is a pack mentality on defense, with everyone on the unit being on the same page and accountable. On offense it has taken a little bit longer but Wilson has really galvanized the group and brought everyone's level of preparation and belief to a higher level.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:Hey guys,

This is RiggoForever from the 05 and 07 seasons (much to my chagrin that they didn't end differently for us, but oh well).

Anyway, you look at Pete Carroll's face, and he looks soft. Not like a man who can inspire ferocity at the NFL level. How have the Seahawks gone from a team that looked lost on the final drive in the opener against Arizona, to a team that can put a KILL ORDER on the San Francisco 49ers and execute it to near perfection? Where has the mental toughness grown from this year - who have been the team leaders? I figured Carroll was soon to go back to the college ranks after the first Arizona game - but now he looks like a genius.

Also, the intensity and loudness at Qwest seemed entirely different for the 49ers game then when you played the Redskins there last season.

Most importantly, how did you hold Romo and Dallas to 7 pts in your game against them? Lately they've been looking like world-beaters with their comeback tendencies in the 4th quarter.

I think it was from Pete and I think that it came after the team adopted the "stomp on their throat" mentality after another come from behind loss to an inferior team in Miami. The Seahawks shit the bed against Detroit and Miami or we would be looking at the #1 seed going into the last week with the #2 locked up. After the Miami game the team developed a no mercy attitude. At least, that is what I have noticed.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• When they see RW they look at a midget that has overcome so many obstacles in his life. I mean if he was born 100 years earlier he would probably have been thrown out with the garbage being so tiny. They then realize they also need to fight and fight hard for 60 minutes / game!

No?

Ok - adderall?

No?

I will go with the compete thing then! Seahawks saw PC and said - Come Pete and PC thought that is right COMPETE!
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Axx wrote:i think alot of it has to do with the fact that our team is made out of rejects who want to prove that they can play

Bingo.

Schneider and Carroll have done a brilliant job of infusing this team with players they know will go their entire careers with chips on their shoulders.

The talent gap in the NFL is so small, the players and teams that excel are the ones that just flat out play and hit harder than the other team...........so how do you make sure your players play harder than the other team? You sign and draft players like Sherman, Wilson, Giacomini, Sweezy, Lynch, Baldwin, KJ, Kam, Tate. Players that have been told their whole lives that they're not tall enough, not smart enough, not fast enough, not good enough.

I also take liberty when people say Pete is soft. He's not soft, he's fair. "Always compete" is real..........you don't do your job, you're gone no matter how much you make or awesome you think you are. This creates a level of competitiveness that I don't think a lot of other teams have.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Axx wrote:i think alot of it has to do with the fact that our team is made out of rejects who want to prove that they can play

Bingo.

Schneider and Carroll have done a brilliant job of infusing this team with players they know will go their entire careers with chips on their shoulders.

The talent gap in the NFL is so small, the players and teams that excel are the ones that just flat out play and hit harder than the other team...........so how do you make sure your players play harder than the other team? You sign and draft players like Sherman, Wilson, Giacomini, Sweezy, Lynch, Baldwin, KJ, Kam, Tate. Players that have been told their whole lives that they're not tall enough, not smart enough, not fast enough, not good enough.

I also take liberty when people say Pete is soft. He's not soft, he's fair. "Always compete" is real..........you don't do your job, you're gone no matter how much you make or awesome you think you are. This creates a level of competitiveness that I don't think a lot of other teams have.

Didn't mean any offense. As an outsider, he struck me as a guy who had (until this year), had only moderate success in the NFL, but HUGE success in college football. I questioned his ability to motivate men versus boys.

The 49ers game was a real eye-opener to watch.
    RiggoReincarnated
    NET Starter

• Funny thing is, Pete Carroll has never really had a chance to blow up a team and do it completely his way until now. In both tenures - with the Jets and Patriots - he had about half the liberty to chose his players and scheme himself. Here, he has that ability, and we're seeing how it works. "Rah-rah" to some seems to be a pretty effective way to get his players all riled up and ready to rip victory from the other teams' hands.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Hey Riggo,,,,good to see ya again.

What no one in Washington will speak to you again? hahahahaha

I don't know where/how Pete did it but we had visions of it last season and its just seemed to snowball. I do think it will do them well on the road as they are thinking hit hard rather than how tired they are from the long flight.

And not a bad QB you folks have this year either. One thing that really strikes me about RGIII and Wilson, they just seem to be humble real people that are merely trying to do their jobs at a high level and can't quite figure out what all the fuss is about.

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Tom Cable
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:Anyway, you look at Pete Carroll's face, and he looks soft.

Not as soft as Jim Mora.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• don't worry Riggo, you will find out in a week or so.

WB man
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

• ugg... my post disappeared.

Youth is the key to physical toughness..
    lnspired by experienced tough coaches..
    Tom cable, and ken Norton,

we have a great balance of Youth, and tough experience..
    RAH RAH is a life style NOT a play style...
    suck it up haters
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

• The toughness started with Beastquake. Marshawn has shown this team what toughness can bring.
    godawg
    NET Starter

• Sherman
    TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!
    Hawk-A-Loogie
    NET Rookie

• It took the team a year and a half to get the running game going in the direction it has now taken. Our '10 roster had older veterans that were part of Holmgren/Mora's run. If you noticed the team last year, it was the Cowboys game that they started to get the running game going. We soon lost both of our young OL drafted last year and Gallery was on his last leg.

Last year's Redskins game, our guys wanted to have swagger but they were not yet ready. We picked up a younger MLB, our secondary gained experience and a full offseason helped as well.

The OL this year has settled in and we have continued to emphasize the run. The young QB has grown over the season and the offense is becoming multi-dimensional. The special teams have rebounded from an off year last year.

I think the inconsistent QB play from the past few years also affected the entire team because they could not back up their bark with a bite. They are young, fast and strong. Just not making as many mistakes which makes them more effective and confident.

EDIT: BTW, welcome back Riggo. Good luck against the Cowboys. See you in a week?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• From Walter Thurmond?
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• RiggoReincarnated wrote:Hey guys,

You do know why his nose looks like that, right? He sure as heck wasn't born with it that way. And have you looked closely at the ring finger on his right hand?

Pete is a football player through and through and would still be playing if he could.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• They have gone from only giving dageruss a few vanilla plays to now the playbook is wide open and they added new wrinkles that we run incredibly well
    It's everything coming together at once judging by so many different answers to your question
    twelfman
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• This team is full of underpaid players playing for their next contract. Pete knows that you feed a horse just enough to let it know that it's hungry in order to get it to work.

Pete also cuts the slackers in a hurry so they know they need to continue working to even have a chance at a next contract.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Followed through from last year I believe.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• The talent evaluation coming from PC and Schneider is incredible. PC has put the team together in HIS style, with the vision he had. He wanted a big, fast, physical team that runs the ball down your throats. He has it, and it's paying off. I was 50/50 on the hire, glad I was wrong big time. Pete Carroll is one hell of a football coach.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information