OFFICIAL FAIL MARY RENAMING THREAD

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm going with "Wail Mary" because of all the whiny butt-hurt Packer fans.
It's in better keeping with "Phail Mary" (intentional misspelling) and slips neatly in place of it. I'll use that term whenever I discuss the "Wail Mary" game where Tate caught the game-winning TD and Packer fans whined and wailed about it for months thereafter. I think I had a post last week where I used the wrong phrase so I'll find it and correct it to "Wail Mary".

Apeman00

Reaction score
I thought you needed to have at least 2 feet down, an elbow or knee to be considered a catch. The packers had none of that. Tate had equal possession and his backside on the ground. Seahawk Ball!

I like "A Twist of Tate". To me that really sounds like Seahawks new coming out statement!!! IF our Seahawks trash the league with Russell Wilson for the next decade, that play will be the one that caught national attention for Russell. A name that states "Hello World I'm Russell Wilson" is what I think the name should represent.

I don't care who the opponent that day was. That will be forgotten. It is going to be all about the Seahawks, Russell Wilson and Golden Tate. So I also like the name "The Golden Reception".

jayneseahawk

Reaction score
Apeman00":8kq64e3k said:
I don't care who the opponent that day was. That will be forgotten.

I disagree with this part. As someone who lives in Bills country I can't tell you how many times "Wide Right" is brought up every year when the Bills go for a field goal. This will never be forgotten.

I do like Golden Reception though.

Atradees

Reaction score
The Fail Mary is pretty funny. We had much more sack than them. They were lucky our offense wasn't up to speed or another blowout.....

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Over time (another 20 years or so), the memory of that catch will fade except for it being the final straw leading to resolution of the NFL's labor disagreement battle with the Referee's union.

Had it occurred during a playoff game, it would be remembered as much as "Wide Right" and the Immaculate Reception... but it didn't.

And there is nothing that we can do in the near term that will change the national perception that Green Bay was screwed and Seattle was gifted a win.

And if the Seahawks make it to the Superbowl this season (and especially if they win it all), the history books (Wiki article) will be about the magical season Seattle experienced with a rookie QB named Russell Wilson.

That, more than anything else, will cause the Twist of Tate catch memory to fade away into obscurity.

acbass

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone reads Sports Illustrated, but buried in the back pages of a recent issue they reexamined the play. They went through the steps of a simultaneous catch and concluded that, by rule, it was a simultaneous catch. They pointed out that who has "more control" was irrelevant. I showed it to a Packers fan. He was not amused. Ha

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
I think we should be damn proud of that game-winning play. I do like Golden Reception as our own label and I love Wail Mary as a funny reminder of all the whiners out there... But I really don't want to acknowledge the butt-hurt packer fans and the talking heads because I think of it as one hell of an athletic play by a guy that just wanted to win. We should show the Golden Reception play on the big screen before every packer game and the 12th man can give it a standing O.

Favorite Highlights...
Golden Reception
Russell Wilson's last 4 games
Harbough's post game presser
Romo botched fumble
Beastquake Run
Kam Hit on Vernon
Walter Jones Block into the Endzone
Hass sliding on his knees for the Touchdown
Cortez...
Largent Hit on Harden
...Damn there are just too many LOL

acbass

Reaction score
Today on Mike and Mike, they were talking about what would have happened if that play was called "correctly." That's such crap. That's a dead horse that has called "Uncle" a long time ago. It was somebody with Sclereth (sp?) but I think it was M&M. Mark flipped it talking about how no one thought it would affect us as far as playoffs go. Gave kudos to Pete. Good to see some people can look past it.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
I've been calling it two things:

Stop whining Aaron Rodgers
-Or-
Touchdown

The latter is what I call the play to anyone who tries to say the Seahawks somehow "stole" or "cheated" or were gifted a win.

OPI on a hail mary as time runs out is irrelevant and there's not a "more control" clause in the rule.

Latest posts