Hypothetical: Pete Retires. Who replaces him?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

Who would you want to replace Pete if he were to retire?

Tom Cable
78
74%
Gus Bradley
18
17%
Darrell Bevell
9
9%
 
Total votes : 105

  • Talk in another thread about potentially losing Bradley. All year long I'd wondered this question as to him vs Cable as to who you'd want to take over for Pete when he retires. But now I'm reading Bevell's name talked about for the Eagles, crazy enough. So I guess I'll include him in the options. Who you want? And keep in mind there's a decent chance you lose the other guy in the process.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4655
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • Me. I'm young, energetic, a great people person, and love football and especially football players. I'm a shoe in...

    In all seriousness, gotta go with the Cable Guy. What a story that would be, huh? From absolute joke of a coach for a joke of a team when he was with Idaho only to, over a decade later, ascend to the top of the coaching ranks with my favorite team! I love the attitude that Cable instills. It's totally transformed the identity of this team and I think it was one of Carroll's more genius hires.

    Question is, can we keep here long enough?
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Wasn't there an article saying that Cable was the guy if that happened?
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 19378
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Cable. He's assistant head coach for a reason, IMO.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15852
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Jim Harbaugh
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Gus Bradley has energy to spare. Tom Cable has sleep apnea.

    Nuff said.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • bestfightstory wrote:Gus Bradley has energy to spare. Tom Cable has sleep apnea.

    Nuff said.


    I can see the newspaper headlines now. A big picture of Cable dozing on the sidelines with "Asleep at the Wheel" up top. Seahawks Coach trades W for Z's in latest debacle.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • NYCoug wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Gus Bradley has energy to spare. Tom Cable has sleep apnea.

    Nuff said.


    I can see the newspaper headlines now. A big picture of Cable dozing on the sidelines with "Asleep at the Wheel" up top. Seahawks Coach trades W for Z's in latest debacle.



    !!!!!!!!!!! :snack: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Outstanding.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Bit surprised at the results. I myself went with Bradley. To me, he fits this team's identity a lot more than Cable. He's firely, passionate, young, and amped up. Cable's nastiness works perfectly for the offensive line. I'm not so sure it would be as effective on the team as a whole. I can see the team rally around a guy like Gus a lot more than Cable. Cable's personality could potentially be a bit divisive when it comes to guys who don't play on his side of the ball. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Cable as an o-line coach, and maybe even an OC. But I'd go with Gus.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4655
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • bestfightstory wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:Gus Bradley has energy to spare. Tom Cable has sleep apnea.

    Nuff said.


    I can see the newspaper headlines now. A big picture of Cable dozing on the sidelines with "Asleep at the Wheel" up top. Seahawks Coach trades W for Z's in latest debacle.



    !!!!!!!!!!! :snack: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Outstanding.


    Take a bow, you provided me with the ammo. That's some Legion of Doom level tag team work right there.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • NYCoug wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:
    I can see the newspaper headlines now. A big picture of Cable dozing on the sidelines with "Asleep at the Wheel" up top. Seahawks Coach trades W for Z's in latest debacle.



    !!!!!!!!!!! :snack: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Outstanding.


    Take a bow, you provided me with the ammo. That's some Legion of Doom level tag team work right there.


    Bravo, Kid. I gotta say; you got a bright future as a quality lurcher. Just don't let Dom/Techworlds steal all of your material.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    User avatar
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *
     
    Posts: 8511
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm


  • Judging by Allen going all in by going after Holmgren and Pete, I doubt he just hands the reigns over to a assistant. I;m sure he will look for the best possible replacement, especially after the Mora debacle.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2290
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • Tech Worlds wrote:I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

    I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

    On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

    To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.
    User avatar
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 4655
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:35 am
    Location: Seattle, WA


  • I went with Gus Bradley, because on a philosophical level, I think defensive-minded coaches make better head coaches
    usChawks
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 40
    Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:25 am


  • I voted for Cable. Because.
    User avatar
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1196
    Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:44 am


  • SeaTown81 wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

    I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

    On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

    To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.


    You may be correct. Who knows. We thought that about Holt too when we brought him in.

    I like Cable because he did ok in Oakland and it was stupid of them to fire him.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • I vote Cable because whomever replaces Pete needs to keep the nasty on the offensive side of the ball. Our defense is good but without Pete's guidance, it probably will drift back toward common accepted sizes for DBs and DEs. I am not sure Bradley would be able to hold the current identity of the makeup of the team.

    Then again, who would be the OC to implement Cable's offense? Tough call and not looking forward to having to figure this out.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9458
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • drdiags wrote:Then again, who would be the OC to implement Cable's offense? Tough call and not looking forward to having to figure this out.


    Doc, ain't it technically Cable/Bevell's offense already, with Bevell calling the plays based off of Cable's influence? Or did they ditch that this season and hand the reigns to Bevell entirely?

    Was the Cable coaching up the running game and Bevell focusing on the passing game legit? Haven't heard much mention of it so far this season.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • Norv Turner is gonna be available.
    Image

    "There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    User avatar
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *
     
    Posts: 1649
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am
    Location: Poulsbo, WA


  • bestfightstory wrote:Bravo, Kid. I gotta say; you got a bright future as a quality lurcher. Just don't let Dom/Techworlds steal all of your material.


    This is the second greatest thing I've heard all day, behind the Sherman appeal verdict. I won't let the city of Seattle down! Go Hawks! #NoTimeToSleep

    As far as Dom is concerned... I'm gonna have to get a registered trademark like kearly.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • NYCoug wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Then again, who would be the OC to implement Cable's offense? Tough call and not looking forward to having to figure this out.


    Doc, ain't it technically Cable/Bevell's offense already, with Bevell calling the plays based off of Cable's influence? Or did they ditch that this season and hand the reigns to Bevell entirely?

    Was the Cable coaching up the running game and Bevell focusing on the passing game legit? Haven't heard much mention of it so far this season.


    Yep, but the premise of the OP was that if Cable was made HC, the other two would leave so Cable would need to hire an OC who would implement the run game per Cable's wishes and implement the passing game that would highlight Wilson's skills.
    Image
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 9458
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Covington, Washington


  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Norv Turner is gonna be available.


    You aren't serious, are you? Few people have done less with more.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15852
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • drdiags wrote:
    NYCoug wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Then again, who would be the OC to implement Cable's offense? Tough call and not looking forward to having to figure this out.


    Doc, ain't it technically Cable/Bevell's offense already, with Bevell calling the plays based off of Cable's influence? Or did they ditch that this season and hand the reigns to Bevell entirely?

    Was the Cable coaching up the running game and Bevell focusing on the passing game legit? Haven't heard much mention of it so far this season.


    Yep, but the premise of the OP was that if Cable was made HC, the other two would leave so Cable would need to hire an OC who would implement the run game per Cable's wishes and implement the passing game that would highlight Wilson's skills.


    You're right. Gotcha.

    Hue Jackson? I feel he'd make a great addition.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    User avatar
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1444
    Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm


  • IBleedBlueAndGreen wrote:Norv Turner is gonna be available.


    If we were talking OC, I'd hire him in a New York minute.
    User avatar
    Hawk Finn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1196
    Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:44 am


  • I can't honestly decide between those guys right now. I just don't know enough. Let's hope PC gives us at least 2-3 more years to really develop his squad of apostles.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    User avatar
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *
     
    Posts: 15341
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:57 pm
    Location: King In The North


  • Are we talking about coaching the Hawks or cuckolding Jim Harbaugh?

    Honestly, it's a tough call. I instantly voted for Cable, but after reading EJ's bit on how well Bradley fits where the team is at right now, I'm torn.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • Kearly and myself have been informed by the Hawks we will be co-head coaches when Pete has had enough.

    First order of business: Get rid of that jagoff John Schneider.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 12020
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    SeaTown81 wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

    I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

    On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

    To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.


    You may be correct. Who knows. We thought that about Holt too when we brought him in.

    I like Cable because he did ok in Oakland and it was stupid of them to fire him.

    One major difference I see is that Holt didn't call plays during the game at USC. He led the defensive game planning, but Pete was the play caller. That's not the case with Bradley.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • Tech Worlds wrote:Jim Harbaugh



    HAHA
    If .NET did not exist I would get so much more work done during the day!
    HawkinNY
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 316
    Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 am
    Location: Albany, NY


  • sc85sis wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:
    SeaTown81 wrote:[quote="Tech Worlds"]I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

    I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

    On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

    To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.


    You may be correct. Who knows. We thought that about Holt too when we brought him in.

    I like Cable because he did ok in Oakland and it was stupid of them to fire him.

    One major difference I see is that Holt didn't call plays during the game at USC. He led the defensive game planning, but Pete was the play caller. That's not the case with Bradley.[/quote]

    Just curious.. How do you know this? I am not saying you are incorrect, I just want to know how you know this as fact.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:[quote="SeaTown81"][quote="Tech Worlds"]I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

    I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

    On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

    To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.


    You may be correct. Who knows. We thought that about Holt too when we brought him in.

    I like Cable because he did ok in Oakland and it was stupid of them to fire him.

    One major difference I see is that Holt didn't call plays during the game at USC. He led the defensive game planning, but Pete was the play caller. That's not the case with Bradley.[/quote]

    Just curious.. How do you know this? I am not saying you are incorrect, I just want to know how you know this as fact.[/quote]
    It was well known. That's one of the reasons Holt accepted the offer to go to Washington.

    Edit to add: I perhaps shouldn't say that Holt never called any plays, but Pete had final say, and it was known he did a lot of the play calling on D. I have a DVD of Pete mic'ed up at the Rose Bowl, and he's calling plays throughout. Holt may also have called some, but it was definitely Pete's baby, so to speak.
    Last edited by sc85sis on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • I don't think Pete can be replaced - merely succeeded. His personal principles are largely responsible for the team we have now. Whomever replaces him...will he need to be of similar philosophy? Or can he just coast for a few years on the team we have now?
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

    Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 11605
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • Luckily, I don't think we will have to worry about this for a while. Carroll has created a unique situation with unique talent that will be hard to replicate. I'd go young over old and Bradley over Cable.
    User avatar
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1661
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm


  • I declined to answer, as I don't see Pete retiring any time soon, and by the time he does, those guys may not even be a part of this team by then.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9028
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


  • sc85sis wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:
    sc85sis wrote:[quote="Tech Worlds"][quote="SeaTown81"][quote="Tech Worlds"]I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Why? Because the defense wasn't awesome the one year he was here with Mora?

    I get that a good portion of the defense's success needs to be attributed to Carroll. Obviously. But Bradley isn't some schlep who isn't contributing to it at all, and just riding along Pete's coat tails. A lot of people in the league like him, and liked him prior to him coaching under PC. Bradley deserves some credit. He's a young coach growing into the league. All young coaches develop their identity and learn from the coaches they coach under. It shouldn't always be taken as a negative.

    On top of that, I don't think the question of "Is it Carroll or Bradley" matters as much to us as it would an outside team bringing Gus in as their HC. For another team that matters much more, as they are asking him to come in and built a team for them. Here, you are only asking him to continue what you already have. And I don't see why he wouldn't be able to do that. Especially after learning from Pete for a few years. Cable, on the other hand, I don't see the same room for continuity. On the offensive line, sure. With the rest of the offense, maybe. But unless he's able to keep the same coaches on defense for a considerable amount of time, I don't see it. You likely have an entirely new set of defensive coaches, new scheme, etc in a couple years.

    To me, Gus Bradley has the potential to be a disciple of Carroll. Tom Cable already has his own personal identity. It works like gangbusters for the o-line. But when applied to an entire team it is actually very different from Pete Carroll's. I'm not sure some realize that. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Just very different from what Pete has built and is winning with. And that's why I'd go with Gus. To me, he represents the best chance at continuity.


    You may be correct. Who knows. We thought that about Holt too when we brought him in.

    I like Cable because he did ok in Oakland and it was stupid of them to fire him.

    One major difference I see is that Holt didn't call plays during the game at USC. He led the defensive game planning, but Pete was the play caller. That's not the case with Bradley.[/quote]

    Just curious.. How do you know this? I am not saying you are incorrect, I just want to know how you know this as fact.[/quote]
    It was well known. That's one of the reasons Holt accepted the offer to go to Washington.

    Edit to add: I perhaps shouldn't say that Holt never called any plays, but Pete had final say, and it was known he did a lot of the play calling on D. I have a DVD of Pete mic'ed up at the Rose Bowl, and he's calling plays throughout. Holt may also have called some, but it was definitely Pete's baby, so to speak.[/quote]

    No, I think you misunderstood. How do you know for a fact that Pete does not call the plays now, here in Seattle.

    I mean, if he doesn't call the offensive plays, nor the defensive plays, just what the hell does he do on gameday? Cheer?
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Chip won't be available but I think his philosophy would translate to success on the offensive side of the ball.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    User avatar
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1702
    Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:08 pm


  • Of that list i would choose Cable. But to be honest i'd rather go outside to find a coach better then any of those 3.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18814
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • Can't choose from that list. Would prefer Gruden.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3539
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


  • I'm thinking Gruden..... he has already professed his love for Russ.
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    User avatar
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 716
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm


  • Carrols contract is through 2014.... in 2015 he is an unrestricted free agent.. giggle..
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    User avatar
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 716
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm


  • jon gruden. Peterson.bsu. Chip kelly in that order
    World champs

    russell wilson was born 5ft 10"
    User avatar
    hawksincebirth
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 278
    Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: mountlake terrace


  • Yes, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to Holt as he was the topic of your post to which I originally responded.

    As to how I know that Bradley calls plays and not Pete, I read that here: http://seattletimes.com/html/thebrewery ... se_di.html.

    "Carroll has mentioned before that Bradley has great freedom as his defensive coordinator. Bradley calls the plays. When asked for more insight into how they work together, Carroll said he still pays heavy attention to what Bradley is doing, but he trusts his guy."
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • sc85sis wrote:Yes, I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to Holt as he was the topic of your post to which I originally responded.

    As to how I know that Bradley calls plays and not Pete, I read that here: http://seattletimes.com/html/thebrewery ... se_di.html.

    "Carroll has mentioned before that Bradley has great freedom as his defensive coordinator. Bradley calls the plays. When asked for more insight into how they work together, Carroll said he still pays heavy attention to what Bradley is doing, but he trusts his guy."


    Yes. I was comparing Holts roll to Bradley's roll here as just a dc in title but not actually the play caller.

    I find it strange that Pete neither calls the plays on offense or defense. Seams to me he would be more hands on.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Tech Worlds wrote:I didnt vote Gus because I think Gus very well may be Nick Holt.


    Beat me to it. Bradley didn't show a lot in 2009 and didn't show a lot in 2010 either. The creative blitzing Seattle has shown under Carroll did not exist when Bradley was here in 2009. Bradley may call the plays under Carroll, but I suspect he's not the one who drew all of them up.

    Pete Carroll has made more than a few assistant coaches look like geniuses. I don't know if I'd trust Bradley to be the DC without Carroll here, much less HC.

    Cable was actually a really solid coach for Oakland that didn't deserve to be fired. He was building a very solid team up there in 2010- they went 6-0 in their division not to mention they kicked the everliving crap out of the Seahawks that year.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11566
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Tech Worlds wrote:Jim Harbaugh


    Jeez Dom, you'd think a guy that makes his living on a boat wouldn't be so quick to fire torpedoes :mrgreen:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    User avatar
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 2421
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:17 am
    Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George


  • John Schneider can choose Pete's replacement when the time comes
    warden
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1956
    Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:31 pm


  • Image

    No brainer....
    User avatar
    vance_jetzt
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 83
    Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm


  • vance_jetzt wrote:Image

    No brainer....


    Who? The fat guy in the gray?
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    vance_jetzt wrote:Image

    No brainer....


    Who? The fat guy in the gray?

    If you're referring to the man in front of Breno, that's Pat Ruel the assistant O-line coach.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5098
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


Next


It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information