The future of Matt Flynn

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":u7bzm2fg said:
HawkWow":u7bzm2fg said:
IMO, will be there late as well, But after Lienert, do they really want to put their necks out for another Trojan? Sounds like a PR nitemare to me.

A few months ago I was hopeful that Barkley could slide, but I think it's very obvious now that he won't. You have teams all over league tripping over themselves to copy Indy's Curtis Painter tactic from 2011. The Jets purposely not starting Tim Tebow in favor of future CFL player Greg McElroy. Arizona starting Lindley and Hoyer. The Bills GM openly admitting that he will trade up for a QB in the upcoming draft. The Raiders are thinking of turning to Terrelle Pryor (although he might actually be an upgrade over Matt Leinart).

And who are those teams so desperate to tank for? I doubt it's Tyler Wilson, who's this year's Ryan Tannehill (at best). I doubt it's for Geno Smith, who has some ability but has very much cooled off after a hot start. It has to be for Barkley. Let's not forget that many people considered Barkley 1B to Andrew Luck's 1A before this season, and Barkley's white hot finish in 2011 was the reason for USC's pre-season #1 ranking.

Barkley will go #1, or at the very worst, top 5. If KC picks #1, he will be a Chief. If Jacksonville picks #1, he'll either be a Jaguar or sold off to the highest bidder. Do NOT be shocked if we see a huge bidding war for Barkley's services. He will likely be the consensus #1 QB and teams are as hungry as ever for rookie QBs hoping to channel the same success as the 2012 group.

This is an absolutely crazy thought, but hell, I'll post it anyway:

Jacksonville flips the top pick (if they get it) for a king's ransom in draft choices, and one of those goes to Seattle for Flynn.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a67orom0 said:
Flynn signed a two year contract, it's not up to him......unless he wants to hold out. But I don't see him as that kind of player.

The Hawks hold all the cards on this one. My guess is Pete and John will trade Flynn if they can get a high draft pick.........or they'll keep him as a backup.

3 year contract. Not 2.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The Radish":12n3j4fe said:
Again I completely disagree with those of you that think Flynn will be traded or released.

You all ignore the FACTS of Wilson being in his rookie contract for at least 3 years we are probably paying less for our 2 QBs than most teams. And why would we trade away a better than decent backup when we have no other in sight and maybe have a chance at a Super Bowl?

Use you heads,,,there is no upside for the Seahawks to trade/release Flynn in any of the scenerios you mention.

Again I'm going to wager he is going no where for at least 2 more seasons. Why? Cause the team can't negotiate a new contract for Wilson until he has played 3 years of his rookie contract. By then, Flynn might very well be to old for any trade value and his best money options would be stay here for the rest of his career.

He can make $3 million a year and hopefully not get his uniform dirty. Not a Super Bowl but damned sure better than most backup QBs can expect.

I think some of you just are never completely happy and have to think up outragous things for something to do.

:141847_bnono:

Nobody is ignoring Wilson's contract. Kip's argument - and it's water tight - is that the money free'd up by removing Flynn's backup contract would free up significant funds to sign a starter instead. We're talking about a $7-8m cap hit here for a player who all being well never sees an important snap in the entire regular season. While there is cap room available in Seattle, they will want to save some to follow over for the following year to re-sign key starters in 2014 and they will probably like the freedom to at least consider signing a guy like Randy Starks who would take our defense to another level.

Or on the other hand, you can eat up $7-8m for a player who hopefully never sees the field and not do any of those things.

So, yeah. That's why people are talking about moving Flynn.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
mikeak":1pm6h95d said:
Mistashoesta":1pm6h95d said:
mikeak":1pm6h95d said:
Since when do we care what people want?

Oh sorry you don't like playing CB Sherman you want to be a WR sure lets make you the number 1 WR..........

Flynn wants to retire then he is free to do so

When it free's up some cash to pay (and help keep) some guys who are actually playing, rather then a guy riding the pine, some care to a lot.

This is different than posted above about Flynn not wanting to be a backup. The team shouldn't care what Flynn wants and doesn't want. They should care about the best decision for the team using the cap as one item to review. I didn't say don't care about the cap I said don't care about Flynns feelings..............

I see what you're saying. What I meant to say was more along the lines of Pete has a mouthpiece, he's a master at not stating the obvious. He may very well want to dump Matt to help out the cap hit, but I doubt he is going to flat come out and say that. Him saying that we wanted to give Matt a chance elsewhere would get the job done and sound good at the same time.

Just like when he kept speaking on Tj's role, even though he pretty much knew he would be gone.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Radish":2kfzv4u5 said:
Again I completely disagree with those of you that think Flynn will be traded or released.

You all ignore the FACTS of Wilson being in his rookie contract for at least 3 years we are probably paying less for our 2 QBs than most teams. And why would we trade away a better than decent backup when we have no other in sight and maybe have a chance at a Super Bowl?:

There's no denying Flynn's value to the team as one of the better backup QB's in the league. But the fact is we're paying him starting QB money, and that just doesn't make financial sense.

NFL salary caps work because positions are slotted for certain salaries, and the backup QB slot is not suppose to be eating up 7-10 million a year in salary. That just doesn't make good cap sense when there's no QB controversy.

I just don't see why Pete and John would be OK with Flynn's contract eating up that much cap space when they could use that money towards resigning starters, or towards free agents. Therefore that only leaves two options;

1. Trade for valuable draft picks
2. Restructure

I don't see Flynn being OK with restructuring, so trading him is the most likely scenario

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The most important thing for Seattle to do this off-season is to keep improving, keep building. They aren't going to be able to do that as easily if they're paying a backup $7-8m against the cap. They need to bounce some cap forward, consider the consequences of a LOT of young players starting to hit contract years and make one or two key acquisitions (such as a Randy Starks) to keep improving the starting roster.

All of these things are much more likely if Flynn is traded or cut.

mikeak

Reaction score
The only way you trade Flynn is if you have a backup capable of winning games.

Remember the backup will want money too -- you got to commit at least $500k to him if a rookie and well over a million if FA so lets assume $1 million making the saving more like $6million

If RW misses a single game (remember a concussion almost equals out the next game so that actually two games - first the game he leaves then the next game) then the question is do you think it is worth $6 million to have Flynn come off the bench vs Jason Campbell.

Consider our record this year. Lets assume Wilson gets injured in the Bears game - do we win that game with a backup? So if we came into this weekend having to beat the Rams to make the playoffs would you be happy with that? And by the way the Bears would own the tiebreaker against us....

Now is that not worth $6 million? Playing a backup is a very real probability.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":205m1nwl said:
The most important thing for Seattle to do this off-season is to keep improving, keep building. They aren't going to be able to do that as easily if they're paying a backup $7-8m against the cap. They need to bounce some cap forward, consider the consequences of a LOT of young players starting to hit contract years and make one or two key acquisitions (such as a Randy Starks) to keep improving the starting roster.

Stop talking about Randy Starks! You're getting me excited.

mikeak

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1sxkt6o7 said:

Cut isn't an option really. I think the cap hit would be the full salary for this coming year so the 7-8 million plus the guaranteed for 2014 which is over 2 million so that is a $10 million cap hit (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Trade is an option

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":3agmksz0 said:
The only way you trade Flynn is if you have a backup capable of winning games.

Of course. But there are plenty of capable backup QB's in the league, and my guess is Pete and John would continue their tradition of drafting QB's in the later rounds to develop.

This is not a discussion on Flynn's talent, he is talented, especially as a backup. The discussion is whether it's wise to commit so much cap space to someone holding a clipboard? Especially if other teams are offering a high draft pick for Flynn. There are at least 10-12 teams out there dying for starting QB's, so I imagine Flynn's trade value will be pretty high this off season.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Hey, Tarvaris looked pretty good in the new uni's. Just sayin! Solid, tough, durable, affordable, knows the system, and looks good taking a knee/holding a clipboard. Some here were even confident that the team could barely make the playoffs with Tarvaris at QB. Don't know how he'd do against our brutal schedule, but the guy won me over last season.

tarvarisjackson2.jpg

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":8j2gfn9i said:
This situation is very similar to the Ninners situation.

They promoted Kapriprick. Why? He's cheap. This will allow them to cut or trade Smith. Then they will use that money to try and reup some of their superstar roster.

It sounds as though you have been monitoring this situation very closely...

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":25y8yzxy said:
Tech Worlds":25y8yzxy said:
This situation is very similar to the Ninners situation.

They promoted Kapriprick. Why? He's cheap. This will allow them to cut or trade Smith. Then they will use that money to try and reup some of their superstar roster.

It sounds as though you have been monitoring this situation very closely...
That's right!

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":134c5utz said:
Of course. But there are plenty of capable backup QB's in the league, and my guess is Pete and John would continue their tradition of drafting QB's in the later rounds to develop.

OK lets see this list is from earlier in the year so may be wrong
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/rank/_/ ... ersionId/1

My ranking - note Maybe is because either they can kind of play in my mind or I have no freaking clue if they can play :). Either way the list of capable is very short in my mind and remember some of these would be free agents and demand over $1.5 million so now the value goes down compared to what you have.

Capable
Nick Foles
Chad Henne
Shaun Hill
Matt Flynn
Matt Moore

Maybe
Chase Daniels
Graham Harrell
Matt Leinart
Mallet
Mccoy
Dan Orlovsky
Kyle Orton
Brock Osweiler
Drew Stanton
TJ Yates
Tyrod Taylor (only because of mobility)

Heck No

Derek Anderson
Jason Campbell
David Carr
Kellen Clemens
Bruce Gradkowski
Rex Grossman
Kevin Kolb / Skelton
Byron Leftwich
Brady Quinn
Luke McCown
Tim Tebow
Tyler Thigpen
Joe Webb
Charlie Whitehurst

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great stuff, Kip. I think I'd prefer landing a solid backup before letting Flynn go, but that might be problematic in terms of the league calendar. ( Prospective suitors may have already attempted to fill their QB need.)

aawolf

Reaction score
NYCoug":33c682a9 said:
Hey, Tarvaris looked pretty good in the new uni's. Just sayin! Solid, tough, durable, affordable, knows the system, and looks good taking a knee/holding a clipboard. Some here were even confident that the team could barely make the playoffs with Tarvaris at QB. Don't know how he'd do against our brutal schedule, but the guy won me over last season.

tarvarisjackson2.jpg

This, or some other free agent. After getting a franchise QB in the third round, you all are still wanting to draft a back-up QB in the first round? I'm all about getting a back-up QB, but not before the third round or unless its a free-agent.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2q4jxr6m said:
My ranking - note Maybe is because either they can kind of play in my mind or I have no freaking clue if they can play :). Either way the list of capable is very short in my mind and remember some of these would be free agents and demand over $1.5 million so now the value goes down compared to what you have.

I'd put Kolb in the capable category. He's proven he's a horrible starter, but let's not forget he came in and beat us this year.........and was a fantastic backup in Philly.

Again, this is a conversation about committing way too much money to a backup. Is it possible we'd have to settle for a lesser backup if we trade Flynn? Of course. But if that means having 5-7 million more cap space to resign starters or go after free agents, then IMO that's worth the trade off.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Draft, I think there are at least 2 surprises at QB in this draft. restructure would be ideal.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Matt Moore as backup please. Dude has played decently to well wherever he's been. He had a very nice year in Miami last year, 16 TDs and 9 INTs.

Just say 'no' to a T-Jack return.

NYCoug

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2vqt4c5j said:
Matt Moore as backup please. Dude has played decently to well wherever he's been. He had a very nice year in Miami last year, 16 TDs and 9 INTs.

Just say 'no' to a T-Jack return.

I'd absolutely LOVE Matt Moore as the backup. T-Jax would be funny for all the wrong reasons and I wouldn't mind him back, honestly speaking. However, you'd have to go with Moore over Jackson if you had the choice. He gets the nod in every department save for the "warm and fuzzy feeling" one.

Should be fun to see how this all plays out but something tells me Matt Flynn will be gone in a move described by Pete and John as "the best move for all parties involved." Everyone will praise the Seahawks for their diplomacy, Flynn will cherish his ring, and we will root him on when he's playing in the AFC and remember him fondly as "the guy who called tails during the Bears OT win"