49ers assessing damage done by Hawks: Mario Manningham out

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet ... Besides the mental beat down, we really did some real physical damage to these folks !!!

The San Francisco 49ers are still assessing the damage a day after a thorough defeat at the hands of the division rival Seattle Seahawks, but the early returns are not good.

Wide receiver Mario Manningham tore both the ACL and PCL in his left knee, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Manningham, already bothered by a shoulder injury previously, limped out of the locker room Monday on crutches. He was scheduled to have an MRI exam on his left knee after he was tackled low by Leroy Hill and fumbled in the third quarter.

The knee injury will end the season for San Francisco's third-leading receiver. Manningham (449 yards) trails wideout Michael Crabtree (933) and tight end Vernon Davis (543).

Davis must clear the league's NFL concussion protocol after getting knocked off his feet along the sideline by safety Kam Chancellor on a huge hit that looked legal but drew a penalty for thumping a defenseless receiver.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87785 ... -left-knee
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• I feel sorry for Manningham. I think anyone who has ever had a torn knee ligament and saw that play either flinched or had some sympathetic pain. I know I did.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• Ouch. That really sucks for him. Both ACL and PCL is going to be a hard injury to come back from. Hope he can recover to play again.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I was standing next to a 9er fan when he got hit. i cringed and said" sorry man, he's done" in condolences. i hate seeing anybody get an injury like that...
    12th Man: Cant be cut, wont be traded, will NEVER retire!
    Dirtball
    NET Rookie

• Agreed. The second Manningham grabbed the knee, I turned to my wife and said; this is why these guys make, and deserve, the money they do. Every play might be their last.

Conversely, I had no problem with Vern exiting concussed, but a player (other than Rapistberger) down with a knee is never a good thing. Godspeed to his ultimate recovery.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Same here.Hope he has a speedy recovery.Good football player.I am thinking Lockette probably is on thier roster next week.
    canzag
    NET Veteran

• agree- hated to see that injury. I hope he fully recovers.
    travlinhawk
    NET Starter

• Hope he'll come back eventually (hate to see it end his career), never good to see injuries.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• I never hope for injuries for any players, even ones I "hate." Tough break for the kid, who looks like he has a promising future. Hopefully, he can bounce back.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• I like it when players hit hard and it makes the receiver of that hit really uncomfortable. I don't like to see guys get serious injuries, even if they are loudmouth fools like Davis. I was happy with Chancellor's hit, it was totally within the rules, but I didn't enjoy seeing Davis' face when it was pretty apparent he had suffered a concussion. I also get uncomfortable watching players get their limbs ripped around and having their connective tissue damaged. Some people really get a kick out of this when it happens to an opposing team's player and I don't respect that.
    bmorepunk
    NET Starter

• When dudes get their knees wrecked, I just want to cry. That's the worst part about football for me. I hope he gets back soon.
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

• I am grateful for my Dad for instilling in me a sense of sportsmanship and putting it all in perspective. My dad had a bar in his leg instead of a knee from the time he was five years old, and he hated to see guys injured. We went to a Seahawks game in maybe 1980 and a guy on the 49ers got hurt and was down on the field. Here I was 7 years old at my first NFL game thinking it was cool that our team had taken out the other guy (I was already big into boxing and wrestling and of course the point was to take out your opponent). The guy got up and walked off the field after about a minute and looked to be ok. The fans cheered for him like he was one of their own, and I looked at my Dad and said, "Why are they cheering for a guy on the other team so loud? I wanted to boo that he got up!". My Dad looked at me and said, "Because it's the right thing to do. You don't EVER want to see an opponent get hurt, you don't ever want to win a game because their players got injured, and you always are relieved when the guy gets up and he's ok. So we clap and cheer for him when he gets up and is ok, or we cheer for him if they have to take him off on a stretcher to let him know that we are good sports."

It made a lot of sense. I get the feeling that a lot of folks never got that lesson, but I learned it early in Seattle and after reading this thread I see a lot of other folks did too. I never want to win a game because everybody is hurt, and I never want to lose a game because all of our players are hurt. I also don't want referees deciding games. I'm truly grateful for my Dad for teaching me this lesson at my first pro game. It's something I've instilled in my son and I would never wish injury on an opponent, and I hope Manningham comes back as good as ever.

As somebody who has lived with a lot of injuries, I can tell you that I wouldn't wish them on anybody. I know they are going to happen, and that is the hard part of the game for me. But if it happens on a clean play, then we chalk it up to bad luck and hope the man heals.

I feel a bit of frustration that 49ers fans are going off claiming the Seahawks are dirty and intentionally injuring players. I've seen dirty play, and I don't think the Hawks were playing dirty. I think they were playing with the same mindset Patrick Willis of their team does. Hit hard, but hit legally and do everything you can to prevent TD's. That's what Kam did and got penalized for it. Very frustrating.

I did see a couple of very dirty plays... one took place on Jeremy Lane when the offensive tackle of the 9ers ran straight at him in the endzone late in the game and knocked him down (legal, not really dirty, but just lame), but then he proceeded to grab him by the head and slam it into the turf. That to me was a dirty play. Kam's play was NOT dirty. Then the spear and slam on the head of Baldwin was dirty, and Harbaugh's reaction of complaining about it really struck me as odd. I think realistically that if our player had done that he'd be directed toward the bench and Pete would have had a discussion with him then and there about what is and isn't acceptable and the importance of keeping his cool. Instead Harbaugh goes off on the ref for a solid minute and won't let it drop 2 or 3 plays later. It was a dangerous play that very well could have resulted in a broken neck for Doug Baldwin... Harbaugh had a front row seat, and he has the audacity to complain. Pretty weird, especially when it was a kid he had coached in college. You'd think he'd be concerned for the player's safety and telling his own players to be careful to not cost his team additional yardage, even if he doesn't care about the possibility of snapping a man's neck, but he is more concerned with going off on the refs. Weird all around.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• I feel bad for the player and the team, I would rather play them at full strength and don't like to see anyone get hurt.

That being said, I will say I take a little satisfaction out of the pain the fans are feeling. After having conversations last off season about the unbelievable health streak they were on and getting answers like, it's because their players aren't soft like ours and said with apparently full expectations that their lucky health run would never come to an end because of it. Add in the number of 9er fans I have recently seen wishing injury to Wilson and Sherman or hoping the whole team dies in a plane crash and yeah, even though I would never wish an injury on a player and hope all of them make full recoveries, I have to admit I did get a little satisfaction at the cost of their fans.

They are rapidly overtaking even the Steelers fan base for biggest douche fan base of all time.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• SharkHawk wrote:...the spear and slam on the head of Baldwin was dirty, and Harbaugh's reaction of complaining about it really struck me as odd. I think realistically that if our player had done that he'd be directed toward the bench and Pete would have had a discussion with him then and there about what is and isn't acceptable and the importance of keeping his cool. Instead Harbaugh goes off on the ref for a solid minute and won't let it drop 2 or 3 plays later. It was a dangerous play that very well could have resulted in a broken neck for Doug Baldwin... Harbaugh had a front row seat, and he has the audacity to complain. Pretty weird, especially when it was a kid he had coached in college. You'd think he'd be concerned for the player's safety and telling his own players to be careful to not cost his team additional yardage, even if he doesn't care about the possibility of snapping a man's neck, but he is more concerned with going off on the refs. Weird all around.

I've been wondering why so many people are so passionate about always calling Harbaugh a douchebag, and your comment puts it in perspective. Their guy goes to body-slam Baldwin, while another spears him, and Harbaugh whines to the ref... and the point that Baldwin played for Harbaugh at Stanford, you'd think that there would be a bond and caring between Harbaugh and past players, like there clearly is with Pete--but apparently not, it's Harbaugh. I am starting to get it now, between Sherman and Baldwin. I'm glad we have the normal, decent human being in Carroll, and the 49ers can keep Harbaugh. Better than that, I think we have the much superior long-term coach. Harbaugh's best year was his first year; 49ers already have more losses this year than last. The Harbaugh act could get old quickly in SF if the trend continues down, like it probably will for the playoffs, in part due to the key injuries they have.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• I didn't have any problem with the tackle/hits on Baldwin,

Good, aggressive football.

If that had been Browner and Earl you all would agree.
    Last edited by bestfightstory on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• No I wouldn't. Doug was in a wrestling hold in the air, completely stopped and unable to move or defend himself when the second player decided to come in and add an extra hit. That was completely unnecessary and deserved the flag. If one of our guys did that I'd be ticked that he was that stupid and cost us penalty yards and acted like a thug.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• bestfightstory wrote:I didn't have any problem with the tackle/hits on Baldwin,

Good, aggressive football.

If that had been Braowner and Earl you all would agree.

It wasn't the slam. It was the fact that another defender launched himself (read, left his feet and used himself as a projectile into a WR that was going nowhere). I would not be happy about that if it was one of our players doing the hitting.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

But what did you expect them to do? Should they have set him down nicely and ask him not to run upfield?

This game happens pretty fast.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Sorry to hear that about Manningham. Wish him a speedy and full recovery.
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

But what did you expect them to do? Should they have set him down nicely and ask him not to run upfield?

Normally I would agree but Culliver had plenty of time to make a better decision.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• bestfightstory wrote:I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

It's not the WWE. You don't pick people up to body slam them or present them as a target for another defensive back.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

It's not the WWE. You don't pick people up to body slam them or present them as a target for another defensive back.

present them as a target? yeah. okay.
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• Sarlacc83 wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

That's right!

This kinda crap has no place in the league.

I am a little ashamed for bestfightstory for endorsing this type of thuggery.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Have to agree with most here. Go watch the play again. The first defender is not trying to tackle Baldwin, he is trying to lift him up off the ground and doing so by his crotch and shoulders. It is the pure definition of a defenseless receiver when the second defender decides to take advantage of how helpless Baldwin is at the point and takes an absolute cheap shot at him. Both defenders looked like they were in fact trying to injure. Not trying to tackle or dislodge the ball. Sorry but I would be absolutely pissed at any Seahawk that did anything like this,
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• I knew the Manningham injury was going to be an ugly one just from reactions. When the 49ers lose a fumble and their players' first reaction is to wave furiously to the sidelines to bring medical assistance in rather than even seemingly care about the turnover, the injury has to be awful. It was ugly and hard to watch on replay.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

• I'd have to re-watch, but I think guys from both teams immediately motioned for the trainers.

I really hope Mario can heal up and come back strong.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• I've actually seen the visible knee movement a few times in basketball, and a lot of times these look a lot worse than they are and guys can come back. I had hoped for that outcome here, feel awful to see the extent.
    m parallel
    NET Bench Warmer

• As a long-time 49er fan visiting this board for the first time, I must say this is the classiest thread on an opposing player that I've ever seen. And it's filled with some of the classiest comments I've seen about an opposing player. God Bless all of you.

There's no doubt the 49ers got beat up, and beat up badly, during the game in Seattle. Looks like Vernon Davis may play against AZ, even though he got his bell rung but good.

Manningham is done. He may be done for his career with this kind of injury. We'll see. Only time will tell. That, and lots of rehab.

But that may not be the key injury. The key injury is Justin Smith, who was hurt two weeks ago in the New England game. His replacement started against Seattle, and Marshawn Lynch left cleat marks all over his body.

That's our key injury. If we don't get Justin back in time for the playoffs, and it appears we won't, our stay in the postseason probably will not be a long one.
    billbird2111
    NET Bench Warmer

• billbird2111 wrote:As a long-time 49er fan visiting this board for the first time, I must say this is the classiest thread on an opposing player that I've ever seen. And it's filled with some of the classiest comments I've seen about an opposing player. God Bless all of you.

There's no doubt the 49ers got beat up, and beat up badly, during the game in Seattle. Looks like Vernon Davis may play against AZ, even though he got his bell rung but good.

Manningham is done. He may be done for his career with this kind of injury. We'll see. Only time will tell. That, and lots of rehab.

But that may not be the key injury. The key injury is Justin Smith, who was hurt two weeks ago in the New England game. His replacement started against Seattle, and Marshawn Lynch left cleat marks all over his body.

That's our key injury. If we don't get Justin back in time for the playoffs, and it appears we won't, our stay in the postseason probably will not be a long one.

Thanks BB - this is great insight into the minds of the true fan. That injury to MM was awful. That is the reason mothers don't let their sons play football. I agree that VD really got rocked and for his safety I hope he's ready to go - he's such a damn good player and seems like one of the good guys in sports. JS is truly the most devastating injury. It's amazing how that anchor player really sets the rest of the defense up. For us last year we had the exact same scenario, Red Bryant was injured. Prior to the injury we had an amazing defense, then after it was porous... sound familiar?
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• nsport wrote:
    billbird2111 wrote:As a long-time 49er fan visiting this board for the first time, I must say this is the classiest thread on an opposing player that I've ever seen. And it's filled with some of the classiest comments I've seen about an opposing player. God Bless all of you.

Thanks BB - this is great insight into the minds of the true fan. That injury to MM was awful. That is the reason mothers don't let their sons play football. I agree that VD really got rocked and for his safety I hope he's ready to go - he's such a damn good player and seems like one of the good guys in sports. JS is truly the most devastating injury. It's amazing how that anchor player really sets the rest of the defense up. For us last year we had the exact same scenario, Red Bryant was injured. Prior to the injury we had an amazing defense, then after it was porous... sound familiar?

It is amazing how the loss of one or two players can affect/effect a team. When Justin went down in the New England game, our pass rush went flat and Brady threw four TD's on that vaunted D to tie the game.

Now, they might have been pretty tired following that game. I'll have to give them that. These are humans after all. But the Seahawks just marched on us like no team has done in two years.

It left us 49er fans with a pretty sick feeling. The 49er Board is still in an uproar.
    billbird2111
    NET Bench Warmer

• No sympathy for the niners and their "guys were tired after the NE game" excuse. We played NE and then went into your house with three days rest and lost by a TD with a rookie QB and half an offensive playbook.
    Last edited by CurryStopstheRuns on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• I hate to see players go down. I hope he comes back well. The Adrian Peterson story's are nice, but more often they come back not as good
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• What is the latest word on Smith? haven't seen or heard any updates of any kind. Have they said what the injury actually is or are they still keeping it hush?
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• JerHawk81 wrote:Sorry to hear that about Manningham. Wish him a speedy and full recovery.

na, that was a bogus hit... dirty .. but at the same time that hit paled in comparison to KAMS so nice try whiner boy..go back and study some tape of how a real SS like Kam should hit.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Random aside.

I was struck by the obvious conclusion at the game... the hit on MM was unquestionably legal, and drew no flag, and will result in no fine, but he's out for the season, perhaps a year, perhaps forever. Conversely the hit on VD drew a flag, presumably because he was considered "defenseless" because he wasn't hit in the head, and he got a concussion and was out for the rest of the game, but apparently will be fine and may even play this week.

The messed up thing is that by flagging and fining for the VD hit, they are ENCOURAGING players to go low, and I think that's potentially more dangerous than the chest area hits. If a player has his feet planted, and he's hit hard in the legs, bad things happen, even if the head isn't snapping back.

I dunno, I just don't get this aspect of the current policy.
    BocciHawk
    NET Veteran

• BocciHawk wrote:Random aside.

I was struck by the obvious conclusion at the game... the hit on MM was unquestionably legal, and drew no flag, and will result in no fine, but he's out for the season, perhaps a year, perhaps forever. Conversely the hit on VD drew a flag, presumably because he was considered "defenseless" because he wasn't hit in the head, and he got a concussion and was out for the rest of the game, but apparently will be fine and may even play this week.

The messed up thing is that by flagging and fining for the VD hit, they are ENCOURAGING players to go low, and I think that's potentially more dangerous than the chest area hits. If a player has his feet planted, and he's hit hard in the legs, bad things happen, even if the head isn't snapping back.

I dunno, I just don't get this aspect of the current policy.

I know this is moving outside the discussion of the original post - but this is part of the hypocrisy / politics of the game. James Harrison - who hasn't been flagged / fined in ages commented that he now has to focus on targeting low - and if that means more knee injuries, so be it (paraphrasing). This is a dangerous game and the respect of the game can only be brought by the players, for the players. Sports talking heads and James Harrison believe that it will take a whole new generation of players to usher in the new era of safe hitting - it's very difficult to change these guys who have been doing it this way for 10-20 years.

nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• That was gruesome to see that bulb popping out from his knee. I hope he will be ok.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I feel bad for him as well, I had never seen MM play in a game I was at, but I noticed how good of a blocker he was when Kaep would start running. I don't think Hill was trying to take him out, but when it happened my wife just cringed as a knee-surgery frequent flyer.

That sucks it happened in the second to last game, right before the playoffs. I just hope the guy can play next year and that this hasn't hurt his career. The guy sure made a name in the SB and you know Little Manning loved having a guy like him out there.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• So um, wow. This whole post might be off topic but didn't feel like starting a new thread to grovel at the feet of the enemy.

Sunday night was rough. Seattle played extremely well!! ... As I'm sure you all know lol.

That was one of the hardest losses to stomach in many moons. There's so many thoughts and questions I still have, but oddly enough I haven't lost faith or hope for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

I think the Seahawks had a tremendous game-plan and the 49ers were ill prepared and thoroughly out-coached. I also feel that the game was very flukey... Lots of things that don't usually go wrong went wrong; not including injuries. They looked flat and uninspired... they didn't have a chance in hell to match the fire and intensity that the Hawks had on the field.

Oh well, we'll rebound. I actually hope we meed again in the playoffs! It's not a show of arrogance, but I don't want a free ride to the SB. I do NOT feel that the Seahawks are 30 points better than the 49ers... no way in hell; but they definitely were on Sunday night.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• 60niners wrote:So um, wow. This whole post might be off topic but didn't feel like starting a new thread to grovel at the feet of the enemy.

Sunday night was rough. Seattle played extremely well!! ... As I'm sure you all know lol.

That was one of the hardest losses to stomach in many moons. There's so many thoughts and questions I still have, but oddly enough I haven't lost faith or hope for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

I think the Seahawks had a tremendous game-plan and the 49ers were ill prepared and thoroughly out-coached. I also feel that the game was very flukey... Lots of things that don't usually go wrong went wrong; not including injuries. They looked flat and uninspired... they didn't have a chance in hell to match the fire and intensity that the Hawks had on the field.

Oh well, we'll rebound. I actually hope we meed again in the playoffs! It's not a show of arrogance, but I don't want a free ride to the SB. I do NOT feel that the Seahawks are 30 points better than the 49ers... no way in hell; but they definitely were on Sunday night.

Sorry dude, "flukey" is getting knocked out with one punch. What happened to the niners on the field last Sunday was a prolonged beatdown. There was nothing "flukey" about it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• 60niners wrote:So um, wow. This whole post might be off topic but didn't feel like starting a new thread to grovel at the feet of the enemy.

It's a shame what happened to Manningham as that injury will take a long time to heal. There is so much damage in that knee he may never again return to game form.

One thing was apparent to me very early on in the game. The Seahawks wanted to impose their will and physically destroy their hated rival, a team known for its physically imposing style of play. Kam's hit on Vernon Davis completely changed the complexion of the game, and the 49ers wanted no more of it, folding like a house of cards.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• NYCoug wrote:

Ok dude, that was fuggin funny !
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    60niners wrote:So um, wow. This whole post might be off topic but didn't feel like starting a new thread to grovel at the feet of the enemy.

It's a shame what happened to Manningham as that injury will take a long time to heal. There is so much damage in that knee he may never again return to game form.

One thing was apparent to me very early on in the game. The Seahawks wanted to impose their will and physically destroy their hated rival, a team known for its physically imposing style of play. Kam's hit on Vernon Davis completely changed the complexion of the game, and the 49ers wanted no more of it, folding like a house of cards.

That hit was brutal, and that's the type of hit that we have been loving when Goldson and Whitner put on other team's receivers. I disagree with the penalty personally. Goldson blew up Hernandez the week before in NE on a completely legal hit and it cost us 35 yards! Those hits have a huge effect on the game: the Goldson hit caused Hernandez to short-arm his next pass which resulted in an INT, and the hit that knocked Vernon out, definitely took a bit of air out of our team.

And to the other poster who doesn't understand what "flukey" is; I know you're a homer, and I know you're biased, but I don't see how someone can watch that game and NOT understand that the 49ers were severely off of their game. They couldn't do one thing correct, even when the Seahawks didn't have a hand in the play.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• 60niners wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:
    60niners wrote:So um, wow. This whole post might be off topic but didn't feel like starting a new thread to grovel at the feet of the enemy.

That hit was brutal, and that's the type of hit that we have been loving when Goldson and Whitner put on other team's receivers. I disagree with the penalty personally. Goldson blew up Hernandez the week before in NE on a completely legal hit and it cost us 35 yards! Those hits have a huge effect on the game: the Goldson hit caused Hernandez to short-arm his next pass which resulted in an INT, and the hit that knocked Vernon out, definitely took a bit of air out of our team.

And to the other poster who doesn't understand what "flukey" is; I know you're a homer, and I know you're biased, but I don't see how someone can watch that game and NOT understand that the 49ers were severely off of their game. They couldn't do one thing correct, even when the Seahawks didn't have a hand in the play.

And your analysis has nothing to do with being a "homer" or being biased? This team has been firing on all cylinders since the end of the Bears game. It's not like they ran over the Niners because "they were severely off their game". If that's not a "homer" excuse, I don't know what is. It's the same thing as, "they didn't win. We lost." Of course it wouldn't have been a blowout if your team played better, but I don't think any team could've beaten us the last 3 weeks.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:And your analysis has nothing to do with being a "homer" or being biased? This team has been firing on all cylinders since the end of the Bears game. It's not like they ran over the Niners because "they were severely off their game". If that's not a "homer" excuse, I don't know what is. It's the same thing as, "they didn't win. We lost." Of course it wouldn't have been a blowout if your team played better, but I don't think any team could've beaten us the last 3 weeks.

Oh no I won't take anything away from the Seahawks, they definitely came to win.. And they absolutely did impose their will on the Niners. All I'm saying is that that was definitely not the Niners best game. Had the Niners played even a decent game, this match would have at least been competitive.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• 60niners wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:And your analysis has nothing to do with being a "homer" or being biased? This team has been firing on all cylinders since the end of the Bears game. It's not like they ran over the Niners because "they were severely off their game". If that's not a "homer" excuse, I don't know what is. It's the same thing as, "they didn't win. We lost." Of course it wouldn't have been a blowout if your team played better, but I don't think any team could've beaten us the last 3 weeks.

Oh no I won't take anything away from the Seahawks, they definitely came to win.. And they absolutely did impose their will on the Niners. All I'm saying is that that was definitely not the Niners best game. Had the Niners played even a decent game, this match would have at least been competitive.

Fair enough...pretty much what I said in the last part of my post. I definitely thought it wouldve been a low-scoring battle. When we jumped to that 21-0 lead, I was still worried the Niners could make a run.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:
    60niners wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:And your analysis has nothing to do with being a "homer" or being biased? This team has been firing on all cylinders since the end of the Bears game. It's not like they ran over the Niners because "they were severely off their game". If that's not a "homer" excuse, I don't know what is. It's the same thing as, "they didn't win. We lost." Of course it wouldn't have been a blowout if your team played better, but I don't think any team could've beaten us the last 3 weeks.

Fair enough...pretty much what I said in the last part of my post. I definitely thought it wouldve been a low-scoring battle. When we jumped to that 21-0 lead, I was still worried the Niners could make a run.

Oh man, not me. I could tell from the very beginning when Lynch took that run into the endzone... The whole thing from that point on gave me bad vibes that it was going to be one of those games.

The Seahawks are super hot right now.... I don't know if it's better to be streaky, or just solidly good across the whole season; but that might be moot because the Niners were neither this year. WWL doesn't get anyone a Lombardi trophy! I've been watching the Niners play since I was old enough to understand what was happening on the TV, and I was able to watch from the early 90s til now, and I can only think of a couple years where I'd watch the 49ers get HOT... I'm just not used to it. I can bet it's extremely exciting to watch your favorite team be invincible for some time though! Even when we were dominant, without fail we'd be completely embarrassed at least one game a season... Leaves me scratching my head.
    60niners
    NET Rookie

• 60niners wrote:
    -The Glove- wrote:
    60niners wrote:[quote="-The Glove-"]And your analysis has nothing to do with being a "homer" or being biased? This team has been firing on all cylinders since the end of the Bears game. It's not like they ran over the Niners because "they were severely off their game". If that's not a "homer" excuse, I don't know what is. It's the same thing as, "they didn't win. We lost." Of course it wouldn't have been a blowout if your team played better, but I don't think any team could've beaten us the last 3 weeks.

Oh man, not me. I could tell from the very beginning when Lynch took that run into the endzone... The whole thing from that point on gave me bad vibes that it was going to be one of those games.

The Seahawks are super hot right now.... I don't know if it's better to be streaky, or just solidly good across the whole season; but that might be moot because the Niners were neither this year. WWL doesn't get anyone a Lombardi trophy! I've been watching the Niners play since I was old enough to understand what was happening on the TV, and I was able to watch from the early 90s til now, and I can only think of a couple years where I'd watch the 49ers get HOT... I'm just not used to it. I can bet it's extremely exciting to watch your favorite team be invincible for some time though! Even when we were dominant, without fail we'd be completely embarrassed at least one game a season... Leaves me scratching my head.[/quote]

Well to be honest, I'm probably not much older, if at all, but I started out as a Niners fan in the early 90's. Jerry Rice is still my favorite player of all time. I haven't had the opportunity to witness much success myself besides those early 9er days...until the early to mid 2000's when we had our NFC West run. Even then, I wasn't as excited as I am now. Part of that is I'm more involved with the team as far as taking part in these forums and just studying the team constantly. Plus this defense is one badass unit! It's definitely an exciting time for us, as I'm sure it is for you once the hangover of this loss is over.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• A better description of fluky would be the Patriots game a week earlier. While the Niners deserve credit for capitalizing on NE's mistakes, the number of mistakes NE made in the early part of that game would probably surpass the entire season's and maybe the year before. You guys got lucky right from the opening gate with weather that favors a smash mouth style of football and hinders the finesse style of play the Patriots excel in. I'm not saying that luck is what won the game for you but it definitely played a hand in the early goings and helped to give you an almost unsurmountable lead.

This week you guys did not play a good game and yes it was raining but again, you are suppose to be a smash mouth team so the rain (just like in NE) shouldn't have been a factor. What was a factor that (IMO) made it look like you had a bad game is because the Seahawks forced you into looking that way. You could see the effort change into frustration as the game went along. Niners players were taking cheap/late shots unnecessarily because they resorted to those things being the only thing they could do. You can make excuses for having just played back to back tough weeks but it would ignore we had the same thing early in the year when we lost to you after only three days rest. In that game we had more dropped pass's than the rest of the season but still only lost by 6 or 7, it wasn't a massive blow out and very easily could have been a W for us.

I think the big difference is J Smith. When he went down against NE, they rang up 28 on you in a flash. Follow into this week and we hang 42 on you before taking the foot off the gas. There were conversations on the sidelines about trying to make it 50 and there was time to if Pete had wanted to. I am pretty sure if Smith can't come back at full strength, your playoff run will be very short lived.

By the way, what is the status of Smith's contract? Isn't he coming up on 34 pretty soon?
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information