The future of Matt Flynn

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Superman509":1uv27pce said:
I love your break down of the of the cap implications. It makes total sense, the only thing I would disagree with would be the expandability of Miller. He does so many things for us in the run game that don't show up on the stat sheet. I would hate to see him leave.

To be clear, I don't want to mess with Miller's contract either. That was kind of my point- the most obvious contract for restructure is a good player, and good players are usually left alone. Miller isn't worth his $11 million cap hit next year, but releasing him saves only $7 million, and to replace Miller with a decent option you are probably looking at paying at least that much, so Seattle should only cut Miller if they are desperate.

Hence, it makes trading Flynn a very real option as our salary cap savior this season (releasing is an option too, but I think it's very likely that a few teams would happily take his contract off our hands for a late pick).

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
HawkWow":5ciz4818 said:
IMO, will be there late as well, But after Lienert, do they really want to put their necks out for another Trojan? Sounds like a PR nitemare to me.

A few months ago I was hopeful that Barkley could slide, but I think it's very obvious now that he won't. You have teams all over league tripping over themselves to copy Indy's Curtis Painter tactic from 2011. The Jets purposely not starting Tim Tebow in favor of future CFL player Greg McElroy. Arizona starting Lindley and Hoyer. The Bills GM openly admitting that he will trade up for a QB in the upcoming draft. The Raiders are thinking of turning to Terrelle Pryor (although he might actually be an upgrade over Matt Leinart).

And who are those teams so desperate to tank for? I doubt it's Tyler Wilson, who's this year's Ryan Tannehill (at best). I doubt it's for Geno Smith, who has some ability but has very much cooled off after a hot start. It has to be for Barkley. Let's not forget that many people considered Barkley 1B to Andrew Luck's 1A before this season, and Barkley's white hot finish in 2011 was the reason for USC's pre-season #1 ranking.

Barkley will go #1, or at the very worst, top 5. If KC picks #1, he will be a Chief. If Jacksonville picks #1, he'll either be a Jaguar or sold off to the highest bidder. Do NOT be shocked if we see a huge bidding war for Barkley's services. He will likely be the consensus #1 QB and teams are as hungry as ever for rookie QBs hoping to channel the same success as the 2012 group.

Superman509

Reaction score
kearly":23g41n4k said:
Superman509":23g41n4k said:
I love your break down of the of the cap implications. It makes total sense, the only thing I would disagree with would be the expandability of Miller. He does so many things for us in the run game that don't show up on the stat sheet. I would hate to see him leave.

To be clear, I don't want to mess with Miller's contract either. That was kind of my point- the most obvious contract for restructure is a good player, and good players are usually left alone. Miller isn't worth his $11 million cap hit next year, but releasing him saves only $7 million, and to replace Miller with a decent option you are probably looking at paying at least that much, so Seattle should only cut Miller if they are desperate.

Hence, it makes trading Flynn a very real option as our salary cap savior this season (releasing is an option too, but I think it's very likely that a few teams would happily take his contract off our hands for a late pick).

Do you think we could ship him for a player that wants out? At this point I'd be happy to dump his salary and start looking at extending our own players. I'm wondering if they re negotiate with Miller and give him more money up front n order to push his cap number down. I don't know how that works but I've seen things like that happen. I'd think cable would flip his lid if something were to happen to Miller.

schkoot

Reaction score
All I know is that if he is traded, I hope he goes to an AFC team we don't face next year so that I can cheer for both him AND RW.

:D

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't understand why people on here tend to devalue the trade value of a starting Quarterback when history demonstrates otherwise. We gave up a 3rd and moved way back in the 2nd for a piece of "scrap" QB.

Kansas City gave up a 2nd rounder for Matt Cassell and took on a monstrous contract.

Chicago gave up a 1st rounder for Jay Cutler.

Houston gave up a 2nd round pick for Matt Schaub (IIRC).

I won't mention Oakland's Palmer deal because nobody alive is that stupid

Arizona gave up a top-flight DB and a 2nd round pick was it for Kolb?

And look at the risk teams have taken by using 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on all sort of QBs. I don't think Osweiler will ever make it in the NFL. He will probably be "okay," but that doesn't win championships.

And there are a lot of desperate teams that thought they were set at quarterback going in to 2012, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Kansas City, Buffalo, Cleveland, Oakland, Eagles, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Arizona, and maybe even San Francisco.

If nothing else, all of these teams need to invest in a good backup in case their QBOTF plays like he did in 2012.

So I don't think it's too far fetched to get a 2nd or high 3rd rounder for Matt Flynn, and swapping spots in the 1st is a real possibility imho. Hell, we gave up a 1st for a wide receiver! Don't forget that a QB from a successful team has added value. Matt Cassell going 11-5 in Cincinnati wouldn't have earned them a 2nd round pick like New England got. Much of a player's value depends on the team that they play for. Other teams want that experience, they want some of that mojo.

We shall see though. A lot depends on who keeps their job and who doesn't. I expect that Romeo Crennel will keep his job but he will be on a short leash. So he won't want to risk his career on a rookie QB. But then again, KC might be gunshy about trading for someone else's QB. If that's the case, I could see Buffalo or Minnesota being interested in a new QB.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
No team in this league can win without a decent QB. Teams that will need a QB in 2013:
Kansas City
San Diego should cut Rivers. I think he is really a back up now.
Tampa Bay might look for a QB. Freeman needs to be seriously challenged. He hasn't progressed, although he doesn't have competition
Buffallo needs a QB. I don't think what they have now is the answer.
Minnesota needs a QB.
Philly will need a QB. I don't think Foles is the answer, if they want to compete soon.
Jets ... for obvious reasons
Jacksonville will sign Tebow
Cardinals need a QB ...
Cleveland is also looking at a QB. Weeden is not their answer ...
I think the market for Flynn is out there. We can get good value for him.

chris98251

Reaction score
You won't find out where the market is till all the coaches and GM's get fired next week. Typically they will bring on guys that will then want to fit guys in that can play in there systems. Young and Vick as mobile guys Foles proved he can play in my opinion. You also will have guys like McCoy maybe on the market along with Smith.

Throwdown

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2rtv9xot said:
No team in this league can win without a decent QB. Teams that will need a QB in 2013:
Kansas City
San Diego should cut Rivers. I think he is really a back up now.
Tampa Bay might look for a QB. Freeman needs to be seriously challenged. He hasn't progressed, although he doesn't have competition
Buffallo needs a QB. I don't think what they have now is the answer.
Minnesota needs a QB.
Philly will need a QB. I don't think Foles is the answer, if they want to compete soon.
Jets ... for obvious reasons
Jacksonville will sign Tebow
Cardinals need a QB ...
Cleveland is also looking at a QB. Weeden is not their answer ...
I think the market for Flynn is out there. We can get good value for him.

Clevelands not looking for a QB, Weeden has had kind of a rough first season, but he's isn't at all bad. Jacksonville needs a QB badly too, Tebow isn't the future of anything and neither is Gabbert or Henne.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ncm4urx said:
I don't see who's going to jump for Flynn. There were three or four QB-desperate teams last March and none of them gave more than a half-hearted offer. He'll probably just get cut.

Agreed. I think we'll cut him unless a team offers a late round pick. And the Seahawks will be free then to add a QB with comparable physical skills to Wilson so they don't have to dramatically switch their game plan if the starter gets injured.

And there's never great demand for a physically mediocre QB approaching 30, earning $7-8m for a season who has to date been a career backup. If you think a team is going to offer much for that, it's wishful thinking. The market was cold for a reason last year. The fact a few others teams are also in need 12 months on means little. Are Kansas City going to jump from Cassel/Quinn to Matt Flynn? Good luck selling that to the fans in KC.

The Radish

Reaction score
Again I completely disagree with those of you that think Flynn will be traded or released.

You all ignore the FACTS of Wilson being in his rookie contract for at least 3 years we are probably paying less for our 2 QBs than most teams. And why would we trade away a better than decent backup when we have no other in sight and maybe have a chance at a Super Bowl?

Use you heads,,,there is no upside for the Seahawks to trade/release Flynn in any of the scenerios you mention.

Again I'm going to wager he is going no where for at least 2 more seasons. Why? Cause the team can't negotiate a new contract for Wilson until he has played 3 years of his rookie contract. By then, Flynn might very well be to old for any trade value and his best money options would be stay here for the rest of his career.

He can make $3 million a year and hopefully not get his uniform dirty. Not a Super Bowl but damned sure better than most backup QBs can expect.

I think some of you just are never completely happy and have to think up outragous things for something to do.

:141847_bnono:

NYCoug

Reaction score
The writing is on the wall everybody, don't you see it?

Matt Flynn gets traded, said team also drafts a young, promising QB. Youngster wins the job and turns into a future HOF.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks make a big splash in FA and bring back T-Jack just for Zebulon!

In all seriousness. This is the route I would explore. He'll be cheap, we know what he can do and he did it before this offense was the monster it's turning into now. He's a solid option as a backup and hopefully Russ will be one of those guys that never needs his backup. Bring back Josh Portis for next season and try and develop him for trade value and then in 2013 draft Tylor Tettleton out of Ohio. Son of former catcher Mickey, one of my all-time favorite athletes with one of the greatest batting stances of all time. He's the closest thing I've seen to Russell Wilson in terms of toughness, poise, and leadership although not on RW's level. Not to mention they are the same stature. He'd be the guy that we could stash as a backup for years who, if pressed into action, could carry out a similar offense to Wilson.

Here's my new slogan for this offseason... Bring Back T-Jack for Zebulon Dak!

SeaTown81

Reaction score
The Radish":qfg6l1i3 said:
Again I completely disagree with those of you that think Flynn will be traded or released.

You all ignore the FACTS of Wilson being in his rookie contract for at least 3 years we are probably paying less for our 2 QBs than most teams. And why would we trade away a better than decent backup when we have no other in sight and maybe have a chance at a Super Bowl?

Use you heads,,,there is no upside for the Seahawks to trade/release Flynn in any of the scenerios you mention.

Again I'm going to wager he is going no where for at least 2 more seasons. Why? Cause the team can't negotiate a new contract for Wilson until he has played 3 years of his rookie contract. By then, Flynn might very well be to old for any trade value and his best money options would be stay here for the rest of his career.

He can make $3 million a year and hopefully not get his uniform dirty. Not a Super Bowl but damned sure better than most backup QBs can expect.

I think some of you just are never completely happy and have to think up outragous things for something to do.

:141847_bnono:

A cheap starting qb doesn't mean you absolutely have to have a pricey backup. You can have a normal priced backup and spend the money you'd have spent on Flynn on other positions. Either in adding to or improving another starting position, or use it to help keep some of your young players like Kam Chancellor who will be asking for raises soon.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
This situation is very similar to the Ninners situation.

They promoted Kapriprick. Why? He's cheap. This will allow them to cut or trade Smith. Then they will use that money to try and reup some of their superstar roster.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
I don't think Flynn wants to be a career backup. If he did, why leave Green Bay? He was backing up one of the best (supposedly). Sure you can say the money, but ultimately I think he came to Seattle under the guise of being it's starting quarterback. You can't argue that this played out unexpectedly. Few thought that WIlson would come and and win the job. It put Flynn in a weird situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the FO did Flynn "a solid" and let him test the waters to see what kind of interest there is in his services next off season, sort of give a him a chance to go and start somewhere else.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I would like to see him in a Cardinal uniform next year. I just think he is average and it would continue to hold back that franchise imo.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":u3u6igfz said:
MontanaHawk05":u3u6igfz said:
I don't see who's going to jump for Flynn. There were three or four QB-desperate teams last March and none of them gave more than a half-hearted offer. He'll probably just get cut.

Agreed. I think we'll cut him unless a team offers a late round pick. And the Seahawks will be free then to add a QB with comparable physical skills to Wilson so they don't have to dramatically switch their game plan if the starter gets injured.

And there's never great demand for a physically mediocre QB approaching 30, earning $7-8m for a season who has to date been a career backup. If you think a team is going to offer much for that, it's wishful thinking. The market was cold for a reason last year. The fact a few others teams are also in need 12 months on means little. Are Kansas City going to jump from Cassel/Quinn to Matt Flynn? Good luck selling that to the fans in KC.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Flynn's value is being overstated by many around here. He is a career backup who has never proven that he can be a franchise saver. For the teams who are desperate, I just do not see them betting it all on Matt Flynn. Personally, I would like to keep him unless it is clear that the Flynn money would be better used elsewhere.

I would much rather pick up a top tier DT in free agency than a WR, unless that WR is Mike Wallace. The other guys all have some sort of issue that makes them unworthy of the big money in my eyes.

Otherwise, I'd rather spend a high pick on a WR and even a TE, and let those young players grow with Wilson starting right away.

mikeak

Reaction score
Since when do we care what people want?

Oh sorry you don't like playing CB Sherman you want to be a WR sure lets make you the number 1 WR..........

Flynn wants to retire then he is free to do so

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
mikeak":145hody3 said:

Oh sorry you don't like playing CB Sherman you want to be a WR sure lets make you the number 1 WR..........

When it free's up some cash to pay (and help keep) some guys who are actually playing, rather then a guy riding the pine, some care to a lot.

mikeak

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":23ozkjqs said:
mikeak":23ozkjqs said:

When it free's up some cash to pay (and help keep) some guys who are actually playing, rather then a guy riding the pine, some care to a lot.

This is different than posted above about Flynn not wanting to be a backup. The team shouldn't care what Flynn wants and doesn't want. They should care about the best decision for the team using the cap as one item to review. I didn't say don't care about the cap I said don't care about Flynns feelings..............

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":6bg2yxvy said:
I don't think Flynn wants to be a career backup. If he did, why leave Green Bay? He was backing up one of the best (supposedly). Sure you can say the money, but ultimately I think he came to Seattle under the guise of being it's starting quarterback. You can't argue that this played out unexpectedly. Few thought that WIlson would come and and win the job. It put Flynn in a weird situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the FO did Flynn "a solid" and let him test the waters to see what kind of interest there is in his services next off season, sort of give a him a chance to go and start somewhere else.

Flynn signed a two year contract, it's not up to him......unless he wants to hold out. But I don't see him as that kind of player.

The Hawks hold all the cards on this one. My guess is Pete and John will trade Flynn if they can get a high draft pick.........or they'll keep him as a backup.

Latest posts