The future of Matt Flynn

ProckHawks

Reaction score
Lets trade him to the Cards in a 4 teams trade. We'll get Dockett, Peterson, Megatron, Even Moore and Stevie Johnson. The Cards get Flynn. The Lions & Bills will get a 6th. The Eagles will get back Even Moore and a Starbucks 50 dollars gift card.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
But I think the word is out on USC QBs, I really do.

I doubt that will play any factor whatsoever. Those players have nothing to do with Matt Barkley. I could buy that Pete Carroll made his QBs look better than they really were, but Lane Kiffin isn't exactly a master of inspiring over-achievement.

MontanaHawk05":3qhilj63 said:
I don't see who's going to jump for Flynn. There were three or four QB-desperate teams last March and none of them gave more than a half-hearted offer. He'll probably just get cut.

It really depends if anyone smart is looking. Flynn for a late round pick Flynn is a bargain, IMO. On tape I see a QB that could be a poor man's Matt Ryan. Give him a decent line and a few weapons and he will win games.

I also think that Flynn's market was killed by Peyton Mania and teams tapping the brakes because they thought Flynn would get a Kolb type contract. I would bet you there were more than a few teams that saw Flynn sign a $19 million contract and wished they had been in on it.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1af7twqh said:
SeaTown81":1af7twqh said:
And for all we know he could've been the reincarnation of Kevin FitzCassellKolb and been entirely mediocre, as is the case with most backups turned starters.

I don't feel sorry for Flynn. He's making bank and having to do jack for it. What a tough break.

Fans felt sorry for Charlie Whitehurst too.

Lol, way to hold "Well, he might have sucked" against him. I said he deserves a chance, not a damn NFL MVP award. Calm your beard.

I don't have a beard. How dare you. :les:

I'm not saying he might have sucked. He most likely would've been mediocre. History is against him being some sort of crazy hidden gem as some want to suggest. And what we've seen from him in limited time suggests he looks closer to the rule than exception. Late round draft picks that spend the first half of their career on the bench rarely pan out as huge finds. They generally end up like a guy like Matt Cassell or Kevin Kolb. And I don't know how many teams are dying to give up draft picks for either right now.

The market used to be there for backups with nothing but untapped potential. But too many teams have got burned over recent years. Which was why the free agent market for Flynn was rather sparse. And conversely, too many teams are scoring BIG by drafting guys and playing them right away. 1/3 of the league is currently qb'ed by draft picks of the last couple seasons. Team's aren't watching Seattle, Washington, and Indy make the playoffs with rookie qb's, Cincy and Minnesota getting it done with 2nd year guys, and saying to themselves, "Maybe we'll try the route Arizona and Kansas City tried instead."

I'm not replying to you as much as I am the people who think there's some big market for the guy. There wasn't last year when team's didn't have to give up draft picks. Why would there suddenly be now?

HawkWow

Reaction score
usChawks":2jhxfes6 said:
No. I like Barkley but USC QBs are not to be trusted to perform in the bigs. I am convinced USC gets these outstanding recruits, then maxs their potential before they get drafted way too high, ruining teams along the way. I think Barkley will drop out of the first and we'd have to move up in the 2nd to get him. Why? I'd sooner keep that pick(s) and Flynn.

Apart from Carson Palmer, who has had some success in the pros, history does point to USC QBs not meeting their hype. But also consider that PC was adamantly against Sanchez entering the draft. And PC has had nothing but high praise for Barkley, even comparing RW to him. And after reading this forum for the past couple of years or so, it seems that Barkley has some elite qualities to his game, unlike some of those names above.

Actually, here's a little story that may or may not mean anything. The USC film school had a screening of 'The League' in October that was free to USC students (with RSVP), and I wore a bright neon green Seahawks shirt. Matt Barkley was there with a couple of people, and he actually walked by and said 'nice shirt' to me. It did make me wonder, just for a little bit..

But this is all hypothetical, of course. I guess a 1st rounder is a steep price for a backup QB. Honestly, I just really really hope he doesn't get drafted by any NFC West teams besides the Seahawks.

I admire your honesty re USC QBs. IMO, the last good one was very long ago. Rodney Pete, and he wasn't exactly a superstar. I thought Palmer was over-rated and to comment on Sanchez or Lienert would be rubbing salt into wounds. Who else? Rob Johnson was OK. Salisbury...no. Marinovich? All he "saw was purple". Sorry, had to do it. I know I'm missing a few but it's really incredible how few outstanding QBs have come from your outstanding program. I think it's a huge compliment to those that coached them to so many championships.

I think that's about to change. I've seen no more of this kid than any other outsider, but I sincerely believe Max Wittek is going to be the real deal. Huge arm, great size and can think on his feet. He couldn't ask for a worse, or better, situation than what he is about to have vs. ND. I am rooting for him as well as the Trojans. I am also hoping for good things to come Matt Barkley's way. I really do like the kid.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1nr0n8cq said:
Jones? He was a disappointment as well. Maybe it's because I bought into his hype during the offseason about how he was going to transform our pass rush.

Seams like 4 million isn't that much for a top flight backup to me.

Flynn will be paid $7.25 million next season and $8.25 million the next. If it was $4 million, I'd agree. But at that steep a price, I suspect he'll be gone this offseason.

I'm fine with either keeping Jones or letting him walk. That said, why not take advantage of a good DT free agency? If we don't keep Jones, I'd like to spend that money on an upgrade.

Superman509

Reaction score
I love your break down of the of the cap implications. It makes total sense, the only thing I would disagree with would be the expandability of Miller. He does so many things for us in the run game that don't show up on the stat sheet. I would hate to see him leave. I think it would be a huge set back, not to mention he can catch the ball and run good routes and is turning out to be a good option for RW.be The other thing that worries me is the fact that Luck RG3 and our man RW have had success. I see other teams starting rookies right away and that hurts flynns trade value. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with flynn. I don't want to see us snag or over pay for any big time FA's when we're going to have to pay top coin to keep most of our guys come 2014.

mikeak

Reaction score
Are you allowed a trade that states 5th round pick but if he starts more than 6 games it turns into a 2nd rounder (or something like it)

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Funny enough, I think there could be some real potential for an in division trade. Arizona is desperate at QB and might be picking too low to get one of the 3 first round QB options. SF will want to dump Alex Smith and Seattle will want to unload Flynn. I think both teams wouldn't mind dealing to Arizona, because although it would make Arizona a much better team, it would prevent them from being bad enough to get the next Luck/RG3 megastar in the draft for half a decade or more (unless they are smart enough to draft Johnny Manziel in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft, but if Arizona did something smart after the early rounds, it would be a first).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
mikeak":p66m5puj said:
Are you allowed a trade that states 5th round pick but if he starts more than 6 games it turns into a 2nd rounder (or something like it)

Not only is this allowed, but it's very common. Hell, our own trade with the Bills for Beast Mode had a # of games started escalator, if I recall correctly.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16l2q1xr said:
mikeak":16l2q1xr said:

Not only is this allowed, but it's very common. Hell, our own trade with the Bills for Beast Mode had a # of games started escalator, if I recall correctly.

The TJack trade had an escalator clause in it that upgraded the pick from a 7 to a 6 if he was merely active for 6 games this season. At the time everyone considered it to be a lock. Guess how many games he was active for this year? As many as you and I combined.

As for what mikeak is asking, you don't normally see conditional trades that escalate multiple rounds like from a 5th to a 2nd. I'm sure it's allowed. But it's typically only a difference of one round.

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2wt2cbz9 said:
We don't need monet to resign thurmond. He can't stay healthy and quite honestly I don't want players who are injury prone.

Jones? He was a disappointment as well. Maybe it's because I bought into his hype during the offseason about how he was going to transform our pass rush.

Seams like 4 million isn't that much for a top flight backup to me.

Fat cat boss 001

Erebus

Reaction score
I don't really buy the argument that nobody would want Flynn because nobody wanted him last year. By my count, there are currently 7 teams that could use a new QB this offseason (and only 3 projected 1st round pick QBs). They are the Jets, Bills, Jaguars, Chiefs, Raiders, Vikings, and Cardinals. None of them were in the market for a QB last year (either due to financial commitments or having a rookie QB who needed more time to evaluate), so there's no way to know if they all would've passed on Flynn.

The teams that did need a new QB last year all got one. There were really only two other suitors for Flynn's services besides the Seahawks, and those were the Dolphins and Browns. And they both opted to draft a 1st round QB instead. Not every team this year can do that. I think there will be a market for him, and its not franchise-crippling to take on his contract for a 4th round pick. There will be desperate teams out there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I think there's a good chance the Cardinals could have an even record or better next year if they grabbed Flynn and drafted two very good O-linemen. I'd jump on picking up Flynn for a 3rd-rounder as a Cardinals fan despite being burned by Kolb, IMO.

pehawk

Reaction score
Erebus":rt2rdu0m said:
I don't really buy the argument that nobody would want Flynn because nobody wanted him last year. By my count, there are currently 7 teams that could use a new QB this offseason (and only 3 projected 1st round pick QBs). They are the Jets, Bills, Jaguars, Chiefs, Raiders, Vikings, and Cardinals. None of them were in the market for a QB last year (either due to financial commitments or having a rookie QB who needed more time to evaluate), so there's no way to know if they all would've passed on Flynn.

The teams that did need a new QB last year all got one. There were really only two other suitors for Flynn's services besides the Seahawks, and those were the Dolphins and Browns. And they both opted to draft a 1st round QB instead. Not every team this year can do that. I think there will be a market for him, and its not franchise-crippling to take on his contract for a 4th round pick. There will be desperate teams out there.

Agreed. Way different years, situations, draft class, etc. Everyone was eligible for the lottery with RG3 available for trade.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
SeaTown81":1nvqgl54 said:
The market used to be there for backups with nothing but untapped potential. But too many teams have got burned over recent years. Which was why the free agent market for Flynn was rather sparse. And conversely, too many teams are scoring BIG by drafting guys and playing them right away. 1/3 of the league is currently qb'ed by draft picks of the last couple seasons. Team's aren't watching Seattle, Washington, and Indy make the playoffs with rookie qb's, Cincy and Minnesota getting it done with 2nd year guys, and saying to themselves, "Maybe we'll try the route Arizona and Kansas City tried instead."

I'm not replying to you as much as I am the people who think there's some big market for the guy. There wasn't last year when team's didn't have to give up draft picks. Why would there suddenly be now?

As I said to someone else, it really depends if there is a smart team out there that doesn't have access to the top 3 QBs in the draft but still needs to address the position. In baseball, the smartest GMs have taken to the "moneyball" philosophy of observing league wide trends and exploiting market inefficiencies. Or to put it using a stock market cliche: You buy low, sell high.

The league is buying high on rookie QBs and selling low on backups right now. The instinct of any moneyball type GM right now should be to investigate options where no one else is looking, because there will be no bidding war to drive up the price.

Or to put it in a very direct way: we have probably the smartest front office in the entire NFL, and guess who it was that signed Matt Flynn in the first place despite not even wanting him that much at the beginning of FA? They did it because they realized that Flynn's price was dropping as a result of being a market inefficiency. If Flynn were starting this season and playing on par with expectations, I think a lot of people would be amazed with how smart Seattle was for getting a solid league average QB (or better) at such low cost.

I agree with you that the recent success of young QBs will further emphasize the draft as a solution. Only problem is, after the top 3 QBs are gone you are looking at a QB class that has very little left (unless you are willing to overlook size issues (Aaron Murray, Matt Scott), which only a handful of GMs will). Despite the lack of options, the perception of the draft being a good source for a QB will turn 5th round QBs into 3rd round QBs, and 4th round QBs into 2nd rounders. What seems smarter, paying a 2nd round pick for a rookie Landry Jones or Tyler Bray, neither of which will likely be any good, or paying a 7th round pick and some cash for an established veteran nuanced in the west coast offense who has played very well at times?

If I was starting the NFL's 33rd franchise as GM that would be the very first call I'd make, just like how Holmgren called Green Bay for Hasselbeck and got a franchise QB for pennies on the dollar. I won't put Flynn on that high of a pedestal, but when he wasn't checking down and wasn't having passes dropped, he looked like a franchise QB in the preseason and he's acquitted himself well in the few regular season games he's played too.

And it's not like Flynn has to be your franchise. He isn't signed to a 6/60 contract like Kolb was. He's on a 2/15.5 deal (only $4 million guaranteed). It's just a low cost bridge QB that won't hurt your team while having real potential to be more than that.

I don't see much of a market for Flynn, but I do think a few smart teams will look at Flynn and his contract and think he's worth it. The draft pick won't be stellar, but the draft pick is just a bonus. If Seattle unloads Flynn for a round 4-7 pick, I'd say it a win for Seattle and a big win for whoever the buyer is. Seattle got a draft pick for Tarvaris Jackson. They got two picks for Aaron Curry. Flynn is far more valuable than either one- so I don't think Seattle would have much trouble finding a buyer, especially in a year where hunger at QB looks as intense as ever.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Erebus":3n0ysqr7 said:

I agree with this. But I'd lower the pick value to a 5th or 6th. A 4 would be a huge win. Who knows? Maybe we can find a super desperate rookie GM to fleece like San Diego was able to do with JS his first year?

But more likely than not the team will act as if taking on the contract is a burden, whether it is on not. There will be a perceived notion that Seattle wants to get rid of Flynn because it won't want an expensive backup now that it knows what it has in Wilson. If I'm a GM negotiating with Seattle, I'm going in with the opinion that I'm doing the Hawks a favor in taking off the league's most expensive backup off their hands. Not saying this is the case. But that's how I'd approach talks.

And while I do think there could be a team or two interested in giving up a mid-round pick for Flynn. I still think the new trend of drafting and playing young players is not to be ignored. The trend has existed for a couple years now. But in the face of RG3, Luck, and Wilson, it's going to grow even more so. The NFL is a copycat league. After the year of the rookie qb, nobody is trying to copycat KC or Arizona. If Flynn in in fact traded, I'd put money on his new team also drafting a qb semi-early on. Similar to what Seattle did this year with Wilson in rd 3.

mikeak

Reaction score
Arizona should be gunshy after the Kilb trade. I could see them make a trade like fifth rounder if this but second rounder if this.

I knew you could do it "if on the roster" didn't know if you could tie it to starts

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":3ecc9st3 said:
Funny enough, I think there could be some real potential for an in division trade. Arizona is desperate at QB and might be picking too low to get one of the 3 first round QB options. SF will want to dump Alex Smith and Seattle will want to unload Flynn. I think both teams wouldn't mind dealing to Arizona, because although it would make Arizona a much better team, it would prevent them from being bad enough to get the next Luck/RG3 megastar in the draft for half a decade or more (unless they are smart enough to draft Johnny Manziel in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft, but if Arizona did something smart after the early rounds, it would be a first).

Excellent point on preventing Zona from getting a future ringer. If I were Zona, I'd do both... and I'd do it now. I'd trade, cut, whatever I had to do with all of their QBs. Maybe get a few late rd picks for the bunch. I'd work a deal for Flynn or Smith. Both, IMO, are solid QBs. Then I'd trade down in the first and pick up a nother late rd pick. I'd then use my first on Tyler Wilson to be groomed behind Flynn / Smith. One thing they know they have is time. They are not going to unseat us or SF anytime soon. No better time than now to start developing players while still fielding a respectable team (that will keep fan interest). Barkley, IMO, will be there late as well, But after Lienert, do they really want to put their necks out for another Trojan? Sounds like a PR nitemare to me.

Latest posts