Who do you think should be Coach of the Year?

usChawks

Reaction score
I came across this article, and got me thinking. Who do you think will and should win coach of the year?

http://www.footballperspective.com/who- ... n-the-nfl/

I think Bruce Arians will win it, obviously. And while it's not completely deserved, if I was a Colts fans, I would be outraged if he didn't win it. While the Colts aren't the greatest team, it's hard to argue with how he guided his team through an emotional season.

Here is my top 10 coach of the year ranking. I think that the award should keep two factors in mind: coaches outperforming their talent level, and also actual coaching ability. Because of that, Belichick and McCarthy are not #1 for me.

10. Greg Shiano- The wheels may be falling off the past few weeks, but I admire his old school approach. And I like how he stuck it up to Tom Coughlin. Not a fan of his proposal get rid of kick offs though.
9. John Fox- Yeah he has Peyton Manning, but Broncos D is really, really good. He's a defensive minded coach, and he should get most of the credit there.
8. Mike Shanahan- His vaulted running game is the reason for me. What he was able to do with Alfred Morris is more impressive than what he's able to do with RG3. Which is still very impressive.
7. Mike McCarthy- I like how he's establishing a running game. They're my pick to win the SB this year.
6. Mike Smith- The Falcons are on the East Coast, but I think they are the most disrespected team in the NFL. Soft team or not, I've never seen 13-2 team get so much negative press in the national media.
5. Jim Harbaugh- I wish he replaced PC as coach of USC, instead of Lane Kiffin :/
4. Bill Belichick- Year in, year out outstanding. Btw, I know it's PC is a different coach now, but man.. Patriots had the luxury of replacing PC with Belichick.
3. Bruce Arians- If Seahawks were in the exactly same situation as the Colts, we'd be screaming national disrespect
2. Jeff Fisher- What he has done is pretty remarkable. Although his decision to keep Bradford over RG3 may define his tenure.
1. Pete Carroll- What he has done is pretty well documented around here. I am just thankful he is our coach, and not, you know, Jim L. Mora.

Finally, here's a gem from that article for you all to chew on.
Entering the season, 30 of the 32 teams had a starting quarterback that was either a former first round pick or was playing under a contract that had at least $20 million in guaranteed money. That’s unbelievable. One of the exceptions was Cincinnati, who, with Andy Dalton, an early second-round pick who had played very well as a rookie in 2011, was in fine shape at quarterback. That left just Seattle as a team trying to solve the quarterback puzzle.

What do you guys think?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Any other year coaches like Carroll, Fox and Shanahan would be in the conversation.............but IMO Arians is a slam dunk sentimental lock this year. Even though the Colts winning is more of a product of Luck and just about the easiest schedule in NFL history, than him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Executive of the Year should be John Schneider. If Pipsqueak Polian can get 6, JS deserves one. Look at this team, it is loaded!

And yes, Pete Carroll deserves it for choosing Russell Wilson, for the running game and for our interchangeable DBs. Jeremy Lane was Lights Out!

kearly

Reaction score
I define coach of the year as the guy who got his team to overachieve the most.

#1: Bruce Arians (Colts are the worst team ever to win 10+ games)
#2: Mike Shanahan (before this season people expected Washington to be a 4 to 6 win team)
#3: Mike Smith (Atlanta is a solid team, but they are more like a 10-6 type team, not a potential 14-2 team)
#4: Gary Kubiak (Texans are massive overachievers as well)
#5: Pete Carroll (Seattle actually underachieved this year (more estimated wins than wins), but I give Carroll the nod just for the sheer amount of team improvement)

Team president of the year (I made this award up)

#1: Pete Carroll (he's both head coach and team president, aka the GM's boss)

Executive of the year

#1: John Schneider

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete is not team President. He is Executive Vice President of Football Operations / Head Coach. He has final say over player personnel but is not John's boss. John is also an Executive VP and GM. Peter McLoughlin is the team President.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
At this point, Pete Carroll's gotta be a front-running nominee by the peeps that actually decide it. At least he would be, if he had cancer, too.

HawkWow

Reaction score
ivotuk":2mxqzkp7 said:
Executive of the Year should be John Schneider. If Pipsqueak Polian can get 6, JS deserves one. Look at this team, it is loaded!

And yes, Pete Carroll deserves it for choosing Russell Wilson, for the running game and for our interchangeable DBs. Jeremy Lane was Lights Out!

Word for word. Even with a handful of losses, we were in every game and have invested wisely in our future. About the losses; Anyone that knows a damn about the game understands Pete put the future of our young QB, and the team, ahead of any single game (ala Shanahan). That's coach of the year mentality if ever there was one. Add to this how much he is loved by his team, how he has got them to buy in and maintained a high level of (courteous) communication with the media and fans alike. The guy got his second chance and is using it to kick azz and take names. Pete's the man!

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The only reason I wouldn't give it to Pete is because it took him ... 5+ games to unleash Russell. What took him so long? Seriously !!!

I still believe, we should have won the Miami game, the AZ game down in Arizona and maybe the Detroit game.
Ok, we could have lost the GB game @ home ... but seriously, sacking Aaron Rogers 5 times in the first half ... that game should have been a blowout from us.

HawkWow

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1i5keq1j said:
The only reason I wouldn't give it to Pete is because it took him ... 5+ games to unleash Russell. What took him so long? Seriously !!!

I still believe, we should have won the Miami game, the AZ game down in Arizona and maybe the Detroit game.
Ok, we could have lost the GB game @ home ... but seriously, sacking Aaron Rogers 5 times in the first half ... that game should have been a blowout from us.

8x (I believe).

drdiags

Reaction score
I have heard Pete's name in the conversation, but I am with most that figure Arians will win. To setup a system with the HC, only to see him sideline for a majority of the season, Arians did a fine high-wire act. He kept the guys believing and he had a rookie QB he was performing OC duties for.

Plus I liked his little sideline shuffle. Old dude (and ex-Steeler to boot) has some moves. Ha ha ...

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction sc85sis.

As far as the article itself, I just read it and was surprised. It was a pretty fantastic article on par with what FO puts out.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yep. I've seen numerous people refer to Pete as the team's President, so you're hardly alone in thinking that.

GOSeahawks

Reaction score
I just have to believe that they will have another game plan that will keep the sheep frazzled. All I need to fuel this prediction is the look on Harbaugh's face on the sideline at any point in the game last Sunday. If we. An do that to the whiners - it will happen.

Haaaawks 49
Sheep 12

Legatron gets 4

Have faith brothers!

Tical21

Reaction score
Leslie Frazier needs to be on any list.