Pete Carroll: “We don’t have to lose anymore”

red17hawk

Reaction score
“We don’t have to lose anymore,” the head coach said, his players nodding along in agreement. “We don’t have to give up games anymore.”
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...t-Giants/f4284414-3e30-4d04-9466-2f15b022c1d8

After the Giants game in 2011, I remember Pete Carroll commenting that there comes a turning point in every program where the team captures this self-belief and confidence that they will win. Once that happens, that team simply doesn't lose anymore. He described how that happened in his USC program as well. Once that light bulb turned on, Trojans simply didn't lose anymore. Of course teams drop games here and there, but winning sort of becomes a habit. He said the same thing about the Seahawks after the memorable Giants win (see link above). Of course, he was only partly correct because the team went ahead and dropped games at Browns, vs. Bengals and at Cowboys in a row. I remember feeling at the time that while Pete was right in his philosophy, he might have been a bit premature regarding the Seahawks. I was patiently waiting for the right time when that light bulb does turn on for us.

After the Chicago game this year, I felt that we have hit that turning point. The self-belief and self-confidence has soared and I feel our Seahawks now firmly believe that they can win. Anywhere. Against anyone.

Danny O'Neil had some similar stats this morning on the seattletimes blog.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2019988312_seahawks26.html

Do you agree? Do you think it was the Chicago game that was the turning point? Or maybe the 49ers game this past weekend? Or even the Patriots game earlier?

Go 'Hawks.

pehawk

Reaction score
Of course I think Chicago game was the turning point - I posted that. The offense turned unstoppable that moment forward/ The NFL will eventually catch-up, but it WONT be in time.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I believe it was actually the loss to the Dolphins that marked the end. You could have gone one of two ways at that point... Back into the losers brackets, or say enough is enough. We won that game, only to lose it. Coupled with the Lions game in Detroit and a handful of other CLOSE games, the team has finally hit the wall of understanding that "losing sucks".

No more, say they...

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I believe that it was the back to back long TD drives at Chicago is when it happened.

Russell showed that he can, and will be, a 3rd down machine.

He confirmed that in the SF game... 11/12, I believe was his stat.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I posted about this in one of the other threads--how Kris Richard had gotten the pick and USC went on to win, and then Pete told the team they didn't have to lose again, and how I felt the Bears game was the same sort of game. The team believes now.

seahawks08

Reaction score
red17hawk":ulnf0n63 said:
“We don’t have to lose anymore,” the head coach said, his players nodding along in agreement. “We don’t have to give up games anymore.”
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articl...t-Giants/f4284414-3e30-4d04-9466-2f15b022c1d8

After the Giants game in 2011, I remember Pete Carroll commenting that there comes a turning point in every program where the team captures this self-belief and confidence that they will win. Once that happens, that team simply doesn't lose anymore. He described how that happened in his USC program as well. Once that light bulb turned on, Trojans simply didn't lose anymore. Of course teams drop games here and there, but winning sort of becomes a habit. He said the same thing about the Seahawks after the memorable Giants win (see link above). Of course, he was only partly correct because the team went ahead and dropped games at Browns, vs. Bengals and at Cowboys in a row. I remember feeling at the time that while Pete was right in his philosophy, he might have been a bit premature regarding the Seahawks. I was patiently waiting for the right time when that light bulb does turn on for us.

After the Chicago game this year, I felt that we have hit that turning point. The self-belief and self-confidence has soared and I feel our Seahawks now firmly believe that they can win. Anywhere. Against anyone.

Danny O'Neil had some similar stats this morning on the seattletimes blog.

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2019988312_seahawks26.html

Do you agree? Do you think it was the Chicago game that was the turning point? Or maybe the 49ers game this past weekend? Or even the Patriots game earlier?

Go 'Hawks.

Chicago game is exactly where RW carried the team twice, that changed the team and not only believe in him but also come out with an attitude that elevated everyone's game. In the past few games, offense has been playing with a sense of purpose and urgency and the defense is complimenting them very well. Anyone who misses a play or does not catch the ball gets very upset at themselves. All of them want to be the best by trying hard and RW has been feeding the ball across to everyone.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
The Chicago game is what changed things for this team. They really began to not only believe in themselves, but also all the others lining up along side them. This is a true team!

mikeak

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":32wlnkcu said:
I believe it was actually the loss to the Dolphins that marked the end. You could have gone one of two ways at that point... Back into the losers brackets, or say enough is enough. We won that game, only to lose it. Coupled with the Lions game in Detroit and a handful of other CLOSE games, the team has finally hit the wall of understanding that "losing sucks".

No more, say they...

This

RW moved the ball on Detroit and Miami as they wanted. We lost the games (especially Miami) due to limiations placed on the offense and conservative playcalling. Instead of attacking Miami for 60 minutes we purposely put us in a situation where the best outcome was a close game at the end. Instead of pounding the opponent both on the offensive and defensive side of the ball we played conservative slow game on purpose.

After this loss the flood gates were opened

scutterhawk

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2lnflawk said:

No more, say they...
You bet!, Pete has decided to pour it on, and put the score so out of reach, that there won't be a chance for anyone to make a comeback.
Let the pundits bitch and moan about running up the score,,because the alternative is to let teams like the Phins, AND Lions hang around, you risk losing games that should'nt or need'nt have.

billbird2111

Reaction score
Opponents are always going to whine and complain about "running up the score." But the fact is this: you don't ever turn off the machine, no matter how far ahead you might be.

Look no further than the game my 49ers played against the Patriots before we got steamrolled by the Seahawks. Up 31-3, the defense went into a soft prevent mode and the offense vanished. Result? The Patriots hung 28 quick points on us to tie the game. Do you realize how close we were to losing that game? It made me sick.

Let that be a lesson to all Seahawk fans. Never "turn it off." Leave the engine racing at high speed. If you hurt some feelings in the process, oh well, that's life.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
billbird2111":1fqg9ehv said:
Opponents are always going to whine and complain about "running up the score." But the fact is this: you don't ever turn off the machine, no matter how far ahead you might be.

Look no further than the game my 49ers played against the Patriots before we got steamrolled by the Seahawks. Up 31-3, the defense went into a soft prevent mode and the offense vanished. Result? The Patriots hung 28 quick points on us to tie the game. Do you realize how close we were to losing that game? It made me sick.

Let that be a lesson to all Seahawk fans. Never "turn it off." Leave the engine racing at high speed. If you hurt some feelings in the process, oh well, that's life.

Exactly. This is the NFL. The best players in the world are out there for 60 minutes doing their best to pull off the win every time. When you've got a team down you have to go for the jugular and take them out or you risk letting them get that 2nd wind and come back and surprise you. Especially in the games coming up in a couple weeks. Every single on of those teams is one of the best teams in the NFL. There is no way you can risk letting any of them hang around or you go home.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
red17hawk":27jmnax5 said:
Do you agree? Do you think it was the Chicago game that was the turning point? Or maybe the 49ers game this past weekend? Or even the Patriots game earlier?.

The Pats game was big for Wilson, but to win a Superbowl you HAVE to be able to win on the road, and more importantly beat good teams on the road.

Therefore IMO the Chicago game was indeed the turning point for this team. That game proved two things that were still big question marks;

1. Could the Hawks win a big meaningful road game with playoff implications?
2. Could RW lead the offense late in the game with all of #1 going on?

Check, and check.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I agree Chicago. It seemed to be the point they believed in themselves , and got the road win baggage off of the teams back

seahawk2k

Reaction score
It was the Chicago game, I could feel it in my bones, we hadn't had a win like that in decades.

Doing what RW did at the end of the game has always been the decider between who is great and who is just good. RW and the rest of the offense took the game by the balls and they haven't looked back.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":y3zg1zax said:
red17hawk":y3zg1zax said:
Do you agree? Do you think it was the Chicago game that was the turning point? Or maybe the 49ers game this past weekend? Or even the Patriots game earlier?.

The Pats game was big for Wilson, but to win a Superbowl you HAVE to be able to win on the road, and more importantly beat good teams on the road.

Therefore IMO the Chicago game was indeed the turning point for this team. That game proved two things that were still big question marks;

1. Could the Hawks win a big meaningful road game with playoff implications?
2. Could RW lead the offense late in the game with all of #1 going on?

Check, and check.

After Chicago, I think Pete probably turned to Bevel and told him to lift the lid. Enough of opening up the passing game only because we're 2 TD's behind and FORCED to do so. The recent statement by Pete following the Buffalo game was telling. Something to the effect of "Russell really hasn't changed much; he's just made believers out of us."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The Chicago game is where 31 other teams were put on notice that the best player on the Hawks was not a running back. Since then, we have run more than normal for more yards than normal. Becuase teams have to think about stopping Wilson first. If the don't, they will get FUBARed.