49ers assessing damage done by Hawks: Mario Manningham out

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
bestfightstory":aggcxai7 said:
I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

But what did you expect them to do? Should they have set him down nicely and ask him not to run upfield?

This game happens pretty fast.

It's not the WWE. You don't pick people up to body slam them or present them as a target for another defensive back.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":19lmolc4 said:
bestfightstory":19lmolc4 said:

But what did you expect them to do? Should they have set him down nicely and ask him not to run upfield?

It's not the WWE. You don't pick people up to body slam them or present them as a target for another defensive back.

present them as a target? yeah. okay.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":ds1lnemk said:
bestfightstory":ds1lnemk said:

That's right!

This kinda crap has no place in the league.

I am a little ashamed for bestfightstory for endorsing this type of thuggery.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Have to agree with most here. Go watch the play again. The first defender is not trying to tackle Baldwin, he is trying to lift him up off the ground and doing so by his crotch and shoulders. It is the pure definition of a defenseless receiver when the second defender decides to take advantage of how helpless Baldwin is at the point and takes an absolute cheap shot at him. Both defenders looked like they were in fact trying to injure. Not trying to tackle or dislodge the ball. Sorry but I would be absolutely pissed at any Seahawk that did anything like this,

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I knew the Manningham injury was going to be an ugly one just from reactions. When the 49ers lose a fumble and their players' first reaction is to wave furiously to the sidelines to bring medical assistance in rather than even seemingly care about the turnover, the injury has to be awful. It was ugly and hard to watch on replay.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'd have to re-watch, but I think guys from both teams immediately motioned for the trainers.

I really hope Mario can heal up and come back strong.

m parallel

Reaction score
I've actually seen the visible knee movement a few times in basketball, and a lot of times these look a lot worse than they are and guys can come back. I had hoped for that outcome here, feel awful to see the extent.

billbird2111

Reaction score
As a long-time 49er fan visiting this board for the first time, I must say this is the classiest thread on an opposing player that I've ever seen. And it's filled with some of the classiest comments I've seen about an opposing player. God Bless all of you.

There's no doubt the 49ers got beat up, and beat up badly, during the game in Seattle. Looks like Vernon Davis may play against AZ, even though he got his bell rung but good.

Manningham is done. He may be done for his career with this kind of injury. We'll see. Only time will tell. That, and lots of rehab.

But that may not be the key injury. The key injury is Justin Smith, who was hurt two weeks ago in the New England game. His replacement started against Seattle, and Marshawn Lynch left cleat marks all over his body.

That's our key injury. If we don't get Justin back in time for the playoffs, and it appears we won't, our stay in the postseason probably will not be a long one.

nsport

Reaction score
billbird2111":3tp0dvxf said:
As a long-time 49er fan visiting this board for the first time, I must say this is the classiest thread on an opposing player that I've ever seen. And it's filled with some of the classiest comments I've seen about an opposing player. God Bless all of you.

There's no doubt the 49ers got beat up, and beat up badly, during the game in Seattle. Looks like Vernon Davis may play against AZ, even though he got his bell rung but good.

Manningham is done. He may be done for his career with this kind of injury. We'll see. Only time will tell. That, and lots of rehab.

But that may not be the key injury. The key injury is Justin Smith, who was hurt two weeks ago in the New England game. His replacement started against Seattle, and Marshawn Lynch left cleat marks all over his body.

That's our key injury. If we don't get Justin back in time for the playoffs, and it appears we won't, our stay in the postseason probably will not be a long one.

Thanks BB - this is great insight into the minds of the true fan. That injury to MM was awful. That is the reason mothers don't let their sons play football. I agree that VD really got rocked and for his safety I hope he's ready to go - he's such a damn good player and seems like one of the good guys in sports. JS is truly the most devastating injury. It's amazing how that anchor player really sets the rest of the defense up. For us last year we had the exact same scenario, Red Bryant was injured. Prior to the injury we had an amazing defense, then after it was porous... sound familiar?

billbird2111

Reaction score
nsport":3kyxe4dh said:
billbird2111":3kyxe4dh said:

Thanks BB - this is great insight into the minds of the true fan. That injury to MM was awful. That is the reason mothers don't let their sons play football. I agree that VD really got rocked and for his safety I hope he's ready to go - he's such a damn good player and seems like one of the good guys in sports. JS is truly the most devastating injury. It's amazing how that anchor player really sets the rest of the defense up. For us last year we had the exact same scenario, Red Bryant was injured. Prior to the injury we had an amazing defense, then after it was porous... sound familiar?

It is amazing how the loss of one or two players can affect/effect a team. When Justin went down in the New England game, our pass rush went flat and Brady threw four TD's on that vaunted D to tie the game.

Now, they might have been pretty tired following that game. I'll have to give them that. These are humans after all. But the Seahawks just marched on us like no team has done in two years.

It left us 49er fans with a pretty sick feeling. The 49er Board is still in an uproar.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
No sympathy for the niners and their "guys were tired after the NE game" excuse. We played NE and then went into your house with three days rest and lost by a TD with a rookie QB and half an offensive playbook.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I hate to see players go down. I hope he comes back well. The Adrian Peterson story's are nice, but more often they come back not as good

RichNhansom

Reaction score
What is the latest word on Smith? haven't seen or heard any updates of any kind. Have they said what the injury actually is or are they still keeping it hush?

hawker84

Reaction score
JerHawk81":4r4fx58s said:
Sorry to hear that about Manningham. Wish him a speedy and full recovery.

na, that was a bogus hit... dirty .. but at the same time that hit paled in comparison to KAMS so nice try whiner boy..go back and study some tape of how a real SS like Kam should hit.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Random aside.

I was struck by the obvious conclusion at the game... the hit on MM was unquestionably legal, and drew no flag, and will result in no fine, but he's out for the season, perhaps a year, perhaps forever. Conversely the hit on VD drew a flag, presumably because he was considered "defenseless" because he wasn't hit in the head, and he got a concussion and was out for the rest of the game, but apparently will be fine and may even play this week.

The messed up thing is that by flagging and fining for the VD hit, they are ENCOURAGING players to go low, and I think that's potentially more dangerous than the chest area hits. If a player has his feet planted, and he's hit hard in the legs, bad things happen, even if the head isn't snapping back.

I dunno, I just don't get this aspect of the current policy.

nsport

Reaction score
BocciHawk":2qrcc3qv said:
Random aside.

I was struck by the obvious conclusion at the game... the hit on MM was unquestionably legal, and drew no flag, and will result in no fine, but he's out for the season, perhaps a year, perhaps forever. Conversely the hit on VD drew a flag, presumably because he was considered "defenseless" because he wasn't hit in the head, and he got a concussion and was out for the rest of the game, but apparently will be fine and may even play this week.

The messed up thing is that by flagging and fining for the VD hit, they are ENCOURAGING players to go low, and I think that's potentially more dangerous than the chest area hits. If a player has his feet planted, and he's hit hard in the legs, bad things happen, even if the head isn't snapping back.

I dunno, I just don't get this aspect of the current policy.

I know this is moving outside the discussion of the original post - but this is part of the hypocrisy / politics of the game. James Harrison - who hasn't been flagged / fined in ages commented that he now has to focus on targeting low - and if that means more knee injuries, so be it (paraphrasing). This is a dangerous game and the respect of the game can only be brought by the players, for the players. Sports talking heads and James Harrison believe that it will take a whole new generation of players to usher in the new era of safe hitting - it's very difficult to change these guys who have been doing it this way for 10-20 years.

[youtube]KExA8grY1NE[/youtube]

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I feel bad for him as well, I had never seen MM play in a game I was at, but I noticed how good of a blocker he was when Kaep would start running. I don't think Hill was trying to take him out, but when it happened my wife just cringed as a knee-surgery frequent flyer.

That sucks it happened in the second to last game, right before the playoffs. I just hope the guy can play next year and that this hasn't hurt his career. The guy sure made a name in the SB and you know Little Manning loved having a guy like him out there.

60niners

Reaction score
So um, wow. This whole post might be off topic but didn't feel like starting a new thread to grovel at the feet of the enemy.

Sunday night was rough. Seattle played extremely well!! ... As I'm sure you all know lol.

That was one of the hardest losses to stomach in many moons. There's so many thoughts and questions I still have, but oddly enough I haven't lost faith or hope for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

I think the Seahawks had a tremendous game-plan and the 49ers were ill prepared and thoroughly out-coached. I also feel that the game was very flukey... Lots of things that don't usually go wrong went wrong; not including injuries. They looked flat and uninspired... they didn't have a chance in hell to match the fire and intensity that the Hawks had on the field.

Oh well, we'll rebound. I actually hope we meed again in the playoffs! It's not a show of arrogance, but I don't want a free ride to the SB. I do NOT feel that the Seahawks are 30 points better than the 49ers... no way in hell; but they definitely were on Sunday night.

Latest posts