Sherman and Baldwin hate for Harbaugh

Showmeyourtd's

Reaction score
I've been on this site forever but never post, and I only recently signed up to participate in discussions.
I am a teacher at a Middle School that Richard Sherman visited, I personally invited him when I met him at a bar and later emailed him... Wasn't sure if he was going to show, but he did, and if anyone follows him on twitter he posted a picture of a football that he school made for him.. Now some of you are wondering what does this have to do with Harbaugh? Well here it goes...
When Richard got to the school for the assembly he came to my classroom and we briefly bs’ed about the hawks, and he also asked where there was good Basketball pick up games in the PNW. Prior to me introducing him he asked me what I would like him to talk about.. I told him that that he should talk to the kids about dreaming big and working hard to achieve a person’s full potential. I said to him, "you have played for two very good coaches, I’m sure that you can talk about something they've told you to push you harder and be successful" He replied to me and said "I only played for one good coach, I hated Harbaugh and at one point I was almost released from the team, I had to switch to DB or I would be a gonner". I was really surprised! He went on to talk about how Baldwin and Harbaugh were not on best terms as well but did not eleborate...not really sure what that meant.

He was REALLY accommodating to all the kids, must have signed over 100 autographs, answered about 20-30 questions.
A student asked him to Tebow for them, he didn’t want to but did it anyway. I have a picture.. of it, but he told me that it is something he does not want to get out to the public.

Attachments

• Sherman and I.jpg
    Sherman and I.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,929

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Very cool! What does he drink? (and thank you for being a teacher, btw)

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Cool...thanks for sharing the story and the picture.

Interesting tho, that he hates a coach that forced him to become the best CB in the league.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":vlkhn23e said:

Interesting tho, that he hates a coach that forced him to become the best CB in the league.

Some of the professors and teachers that I learned the most from were the most difficult. Would it surprise anyone that this would be the case?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3biigq04 said:

From what I heard it wasnt Harbaugh that forced him to defense. It was Shermans choice to move to defense to get away from Harbaugh who was an offensive coach. There was another thread about that a few days ago. So when he says "I had to move to defense" it wasnt because Harbaugh was making him, it was because he had to avoid that douche.

OP
OP
S

Showmeyourtd's

Reaction score
I think he was upset that the he was not able to play the position he played for most of his life, and also the fact that he was overlooked by the coach. He said the biggest reason he went to Stanford, eventhough USC recruited him was for the Standford education.

Here is a football pic that he tweeted after leaving the school..

Some of the girls would ask him innapropriate questions like.

Can I see you abs- which he showed
Can I feel your hair- which he took his hat off and let them
etc etc

drdiags

Reaction score
Wonder why kids would want him to Tebow? That guy has a wide and deep fanbase nationwide I guess?

Hope the kids enjoyed the visit besides clowning a pro athlete.

EDIT: Back in the day, BCC used to have some good run. There were several others but I have forgotten them now. Not sure about Greenlake in the summer either.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome! Thanks for sharing.

Oh, by the way...You are the proud owner of my new favorite member user name. Well done.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
The LA fitness in the landing in Renton is a good place to hoop. People are dalways there and Will Conroy and other NBA level players are there daily.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Im not really digging all the stories about Sherman hating his old coach. Shows a lack of mental discipline. We've all worked for a boss we hated, but carrying that hate around erodes a man's character and distracts from the necessary tasks at hand.

My gut tells me, from watching Sherman in interviews, that most of this stuff is being blown a bit out of proportion after his post game comments on Sunday.

kearly

Reaction score
So wait, you teach at a middle school and your user name is "showmeyourTDs"?

I wish I had teachers like that growing up.

And as far as the whole Harbaugh vs. Sherman/Baldwin thing, it's just the latest reminder of how awesome our team is that we have great players who were spurned by our arch-rival coach. You could tell Sherman REALLY enjoyed this win.

morgulon1

Reaction score
HansGruber":3skas589 said:
Im not really digging all the stories about Sherman hating his old coach. Shows a lack of mental discipline. We've all worked for a boss we hated, but carrying that hate around erodes a man's character and distracts from the necessary tasks at hand.

My gut tells me, from watching Sherman in interviews, that most of this stuff is being blown a bit out of proportion after his post game comments on Sunday.

Maybe your not digging the stories but have you seen Jim Harbaugh? From what I understand Sherman went against Harbaugh's wishes and got a surgery when he got injured. As a result of this,the next season Harbaugh tried to run Sherman off by burying him on the WR depth chart (even below the walk ons ) in an attempt to discourage Sherman and get him to leave Stanford.Sherman knew that the coach wasnt involved with the defensive side of things and switched to cb in an effort to be able to stay. Can you believe this blatant slicing off your nose to spite your face?
I can.

As far as Doug Baldwin, all I can recall hearing is that after he graduated, Harbaugh when asked by prospective NFL coaches about #89, had not too flattering words for Baldwin resulting in him not getting drafted.

What ever the reason, these two do not like Harbaugh and I have to think they have good reason. Whatever that happens to be.

Escamillo

Reaction score
HansGruber":2jvp4jc8 said:

First of all, it sounds like this was a private conversation, not a public statement. And Sherman wasn't the one that brought up Harbaugh.
Second, someone who excelled both on the field/track and in the classroom in high-school in Compton and was able to get into and graduate from Stanford doesn't suffer "lack of mental discipline".

Now, my understanding of what happened is that Sherman chose Stanford over USC because of the Stanford educaion and because Walt Harris recruited him as a WR while Pete was recruting him as a CB.
Sherman got injured his JR year, and decided to have surgery, using an injury redshirt. Harbaugh didn't like that. The next year, Harbaugh had buried Sherman on the WR depth chart, despite Sherman being Stanford's leading receiver before the injury (so he got the Alex Smith treatment). Sherman decided to move to CB both for playing time and because Stanford needed more help there anyway.

As for Baldwin, for some reason he got in Harbaugh's doghouse in his soph and jr years, but I don't know why. But it resulted in him not getting much playing time (and he also had nagging injuries to deal with). In his senior year, somehow he got out of Harbaugh's doghouse and had a great year, becoming Luck's primary target (though I think officially he was below Owusu on the depth chart, but Owusu missed lots of games with injury). I don't know about Harbaugh bad-mouthing Baldwin to NFL scouts. Shaw said in an interview with Softy that he talked up Baldwin to NFL scouts but they were reluctant to draft him because of his size and that he'd only had one great year. After the Orange Bowl, Harbaugh announced his intent to go to the NFL, and Baldwin led a campaign by certain players to have Shaw named as Stanford's head coach (even though Baldwin was graduating, so he woudln't be affected anyway).

Whatever the case is, it's delicious irony to have Sherman and Baldwin as key weapons against Harbaugh, in the service of Pete, of all people. :mrgreen:

I agree with you that that stories of Sherman and/or Baldwin hating Harbaugh are being blown out of proportion. It's worth noting that Sherman was a Walt Harris recruit rather than a Harbaugh one, and I think the same is true of Baldwin (I think Harris' staff recruited him, but Harris was fired and replaced by Harbaugh, so it may be that Harbaugh had been named head coach by the time LOI day came around), so they weren't "Harbaugh's boys".