Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:30 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:07 am
Posts: 5
Hey everyone,

First off, I apologize for the length of my first post, so I'll put a TL;DR at the bottom. But hopefully you guys will find this stuff interesting because it's all about Russell Wilson.

He is the classiest guy you will ever meet. I have had the pleasure of meeting him once, we shared an elevator together at NC State, sometime during his sophomore campaign (I was also a sophomore). I raved about how great it was to finally have a savior for our football program, which had suffered through many inept quarterbacks between Philip Rivers and our man Wilson. He thanked me for my support, but deflected all the credit I was giving him to the rest of the team (which frankly, sucked). There were no cameras around, he didn't have to be PC here, I was just a fan talking to him on campus, but he was still very humble and friendly. This is probably not news to you guys by now, because he has always acted this way. In every interview ever, he has been nothing but classy and humble.

But now I'd like to mention the latest classy thing thing that Wilson did, and the reason for me joining this forum. It was during your thrashing of the 49ers on Sunday Night Football.

For those of you who don't know the backstory (though I'm sure many of you do), Russell Wilson spent 3 years as the QB at NC State, but he graduated and used the grad student transfer rule to go to Wisconsin and play immediately without sitting out a year. The reason he did this was because our coach, Tom O'Brien (who was fired after greatly underachieving this year), pushed Wilson out of the program, which was probably a colossal mistake. Basically, we had this ridiculously highly touted high school QB, Mike Glennon, who had sat patiently and waited his turn for 3 years (1 redshirt), while Russell Wilson tore things up. Russell was not highly touted and not recruited by O'Brien. He was one of those "diamonds in the rough". Wilson also played baseball while at NC State, which he was pretty decent at (drafted in the 4th Rd by the Colorado Rockies). Wilson was torn for a long time about which sport he would pursue professionally, but it was widely believed he was leaning towards baseball, because everyone knew that "he is just too short to be an NFL QB". During his time at State, he made a habit out of missing football spring practice to participate in baseball. Our coach did not like this, but tolerated it. The problem was that when Wilson got drafted by the Rockies, he joined a single A minor league affiliate of theirs for a summer season. He did not inform the coach on whether he intended to return for his senior season or not until well into the summer, probably because he himself did not yet know. When he finally decided to come back to the football team, O'Brien had already named Glennon the starter, so he told Russell he could come back, but he'd have to be a backup.

As you can imagine, many State fans took issue with this decision, because it ultimately caused Wilson to transfer to Wisconsin, where he won the Rose Bowl. It has been a sore spot for many Pack fans since it happened 2 and a half years ago. I personally felt it was a tough spot for everyone involved, because Glennon would've undoubtedly transferred if Wilson were named the starter, leaving us with a crappy freshman as our backup and the future of our program. Ultimately Glennon was a great QB too, and you'll probably see him drafted relatively highly in April, but he couldn't carry a team like Russell could. Glennon needs a solid O-Line and good receivers to be successful. Russell can keep plays alive and keep defenses honest with his feet and be a leader in the locker room and on the field.

Anyways, I digress. The point of this post is what Russell did on Sunday Night Football. Many Pack fans were wondering which college he would name during the player intros, because many of us feel disrespected that Wilson is always associated with Wisconsin by sports writers and the like. Most players, given Russell's situation, would definitely hold a grudge against the NC State program because of the way our idiot coach pushed him out, but not Russell. The way he gave a shout out to both programs by saying "A whole pack o' badgers" was very classy, considering he could've easily just said "Wisconsin", which is the school that put him in the spotlight.

When he did that, I decided that it was time for me to become a real Seahawks fan. I live in North Carolina, and I've been a Panthers fan my whole life, but I have ties to the Seattle area, so the Seahawks have always been my second favorite team. But I think it's time to up the ante a bit and really follow the Seahawks. I'm still gonna be a Panthers fan, but I'll be pulling for Seattle hard in every other game and learning more about your team, which actually has several N.C. State players (J.R. Sweezy, Hauschka).

Anways, sorry for being so long-winded, I just wanted to make sure Russell Wilson's story gets heard by his new nation of die-hard fans. Btw, your stadium is kick-ass. I've been to 1 game at CenturyLink and it was last year against the Bucs when you guys were pretty bad, and that place was still more rowdy than I think I've ever seen Bank of America Stadium, so props to the 12th man.



TL;DR - I'm an NC State graduate. Russell Wilson gave a shoutout to NC State on Sunday Night Football, when he could very easily have held a grudge against our program. He is a super classy guy and because of him, I'm gonna be a Seahawks fan. Also the Panthers suck.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:38 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 881
Location: Denver, Colorado
aWESOME pOST MAN, welcome aboard fellow 12th man!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:40 am 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:31 pm
Posts: 347
It sounded like he said

"A wolf pack of badgers"

Isn't NC State the Wolfpack?

_________________
Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:42 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3082
Thanks for the explanation I was wondering about why he said it like that...and welcome!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 am 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
Posts: 7222
Location: Eastern Washington
Glad to have you here! Great first post.

_________________
49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:07 am
Posts: 5
SilkMonkey wrote:
It sounded like he said

"A wolf pack of badgers"

Isn't NC State the Wolfpack?



Yeah, we're the Wolfpack. You might be right, I saw the game at a bar so there was a lot of background noise.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:52 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3082
It sounded to me like he said "a whooole pack of badgers"
(I was watching at home with the surround sound on...)

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:10 am 
*The Prophet*
Online

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm
Posts: 854
Some comments from Raleigh here. How some of the pack fans feel about RW

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ugc/page/3 ... d=11911493

_________________
Joe


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:47 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 pm
Posts: 28
WolfHawk wrote:
Hey everyone,

First off, I apologize for the length of my first post, so I'll put a TL;DR at the bottom. But hopefully you guys will find this stuff interesting because it's all about Russell Wilson.

He is the classiest guy you will ever meet. I have had the pleasure of meeting him once, we shared an elevator together at NC State, sometime during his sophomore campaign (I was also a sophomore). I raved about how great it was to finally have a savior for our football program, which had suffered through many inept quarterbacks between Philip Rivers and our man Wilson. He thanked me for my support, but deflected all the credit I was giving him to the rest of the team (which frankly, sucked). There were no cameras around, he didn't have to be PC here, I was just a fan talking to him on campus, but he was still very humble and friendly. This is probably not news to you guys by now, because he has always acted this way. In every interview ever, he has been nothing but classy and humble.

But now I'd like to mention the latest classy thing thing that Wilson did, and the reason for me joining this forum. It was during your thrashing of the 49ers on Sunday Night Football.

For those of you who don't know the backstory (though I'm sure many of you do), Russell Wilson spent 3 years as the QB at NC State, but he graduated and used the grad student transfer rule to go to Wisconsin and play immediately without sitting out a year. The reason he did this was because our coach, Tom O'Brien (who was fired after greatly underachieving this year), pushed Wilson out of the program, which was probably a colossal mistake. Basically, we had this ridiculously highly touted high school QB, Mike Glennon, who had sat patiently and waited his turn for 3 years (1 redshirt), while Russell Wilson tore things up. Russell was not highly touted and not recruited by O'Brien. He was one of those "diamonds in the rough". Wilson also played baseball while at NC State, which he was pretty decent at (drafted in the 4th Rd by the Colorado Rockies). Wilson was torn for a long time about which sport he would pursue professionally, but it was widely believed he was leaning towards baseball, because everyone knew that "he is just too short to be an NFL QB". During his time at State, he made a habit out of missing football spring practice to participate in baseball. Our coach did not like this, but tolerated it. The problem was that when Wilson got drafted by the Rockies, he joined a single A minor league affiliate of theirs for a summer season. He did not inform the coach on whether he intended to return for his senior season or not until well into the summer, probably because he himself did not yet know. When he finally decided to come back to the football team, O'Brien had already named Glennon the starter, so he told Russell he could come back, but he'd have to be a backup.

As you can imagine, many State fans took issue with this decision, because it ultimately caused Wilson to transfer to Wisconsin, where he won the Rose Bowl. It has been a sore spot for many Pack fans since it happened 2 and a half years ago. I personally felt it was a tough spot for everyone involved, because Glennon would've undoubtedly transferred if Wilson were named the starter, leaving us with a crappy freshman as our backup and the future of our program. Ultimately Glennon was a great QB too, and you'll probably see him drafted relatively highly in April, but he couldn't carry a team like Russell could. Glennon needs a solid O-Line and good receivers to be successful. Russell can keep plays alive and keep defenses honest with his feet and be a leader in the locker room and on the field.

Anyways, I digress. The point of this post is what Russell did on Sunday Night Football. Many Pack fans were wondering which college he would name during the player intros, because many of us feel disrespected that Wilson is always associated with Wisconsin by sports writers and the like. Most players, given Russell's situation, would definitely hold a grudge against the NC State program because of the way our idiot coach pushed him out, but not Russell. The way he gave a shout out to both programs by saying "A whole pack o' badgers" was very classy, considering he could've easily just said "Wisconsin", which is the school that put him in the spotlight.

When he did that, I decided that it was time for me to become a real Seahawks fan. I live in North Carolina, and I've been a Panthers fan my whole life, but I have ties to the Seattle area, so the Seahawks have always been my second favorite team. But I think it's time to up the ante a bit and really follow the Seahawks. I'm still gonna be a Panthers fan, but I'll be pulling for Seattle hard in every other game and learning more about your team, which actually has several N.C. State players (J.R. Sweezy, Hauschka).

Anways, sorry for being so long-winded, I just wanted to make sure Russell Wilson's story gets heard by his new nation of die-hard fans. Btw, your stadium is kick-ass. I've been to 1 game at CenturyLink and it was last year against the Bucs when you guys were pretty bad, and that place was still more rowdy than I think I've ever seen Bank of America Stadium, so props to the 12th man.



TL;DR - I'm an NC State graduate. Russell Wilson gave a shoutout to NC State on Sunday Night Football, when he could very easily have held a grudge against our program. He is a super classy guy and because of him, I'm gonna be a Seahawks fan. Also the Panthers suck.


"Russel Wilson, a whole pack of badgers"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:00 am 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9819
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:16 am 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Posts: 98
Great post Wolfhawk! Russell Wilson kind of reminds me of another Wolf Pack graduate who played in Seattle Nate McMillan. The city of Seattle seems to have a real connection with players from NC State!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:24 am 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to share. One question. Having shared an elevator and all. Is Russell taller or shorter in real life?

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:24 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Online

Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 am
Posts: 304
kearly wrote:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.


I agree with the incompetency claim about TOB, but for other reasons.

Those college coaches tend to take spring training rather seriously. It helps have year round control of the student/ athletes. Having your starting quarterback present is desirable in their eyes. I wonder how Pete would have handled that situation.

I knew RW was drafted out of high school by Baltimore for a big buck offer, but I didn't know it was seven figures until pregame tv chat. That he turned that down to walk on to NCS (in football) just blows my mind.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 am 
* NET Baller *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 17343
Location: Graham, WA
Didn't Koren Robinson go to NC State too? lol

_________________
Image
3elieve


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:48 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2261
I caught that at the time, I don't really follow college football as I don't live in the states, so don't really know much about NC State, but even though I now know they're known as the wolfpack, I could tell from that phrase that he was referencing both colleges, which I thought was really cool


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:25 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm
Posts: 363
I too am an NC State fan who will now be a passionate Seahawks fan as long as Wilson is the quarterback. I remember watching him play his freshman year and thinking, "he cannot maintain this high of a performance, this sort of magic can not be sustained, he has got to come back to earth eventually." He never did.

Nothing he accomplishes will ever surprise me again.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:37 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
Excellent post WolfHawk. Definitely not "too long" and definitely worth reading. Keep the good stuff comin!

I thought it was pretty awesome that Russ said that during the intros as well. I used to follow NC State pretty closely back in the days of Jerricho Cotchery, Philip Rivers, K-Rob, Andre Brown, Mario Williams,etc. I always loved Chuck Amato, one of my favorite coaches of all-time despite the fact that he never could quite put you guys over the top despite having immense talent on his teams. Lately it's been all Wazzu, all the time for me but I think I'm going to start to keep an eye on NC State again.

Pretty awesome that you got to have a little talk with Russ, especially back then before all this NFL stardom. Great to know that he was just as grounded then as he is now. Welcome to .Net.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:50 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
Posts: 10149
Location: Vancouver, WA
Throwdown wrote:
Didn't Koren Robinson go to NC State too? lol

Killjoy. :D




Great first post and an excellent read.

_________________
From the white sands
To the canyon lands
To the redwood stands
To the barren lands

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:49 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 am
Posts: 104
He didn't actually win the Rose Bowl.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:17 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 1520
Location: Seattle
Welcome


_________________
Idle vaporings of a mind diseased
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:35 am 
* NET Landlord *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
Posts: 3938
Location: Owner's Box
Thanks for posting this, and welcome to the team of the 12. We gladly accept anyone that's passionate about the team, the players, and being really loud!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:45 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Posts: 771
Great story dude , I live in the Raleigh area and I've been a diehard Seahawk fan for a good decade now .

I regret never going to Any wolf pack games to watch Russell Wilson lol . Man it's so exciting to know our QB position is in good hands


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:49 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
Posts: 7641
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Thanks for sharing, great first post and welcome to Seahawks Nation!

_________________
Image

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:26 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Anchorage, AK
OP
1) where on campus is the elevator? :). I can't remember being in one so not doubting just curios. Wait just got it Talley Student Center?

2) I played back the intro 10 times to make sure I heard it. Wasn't sure in how to interpret it but also decided to go with the nod to both programs and appreciated it.

For those that care - Yes Koren was NC State (his jersey is the only one I own Nd it is on the wall framed), Hauscka and RW are the other two on the team with NC State history. Edit: missed J.R

After NE game I posted on FB - nice to see an elite NC State qb and no Rivers not talking about you.....:)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:33 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Seattle
bestfightstory wrote:
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to share. One question. Having shared an elevator and all. Is Russell taller or shorter in real life?


I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Russ, but I did walk RIGHT by him and his wife in downtown Bellevue (Lincoln Square) not too long ago. So I could measure myself up to him. The funny thing is, at first I didn't think it was Russell Wilson because he seemed much taller than I imagined, after seeing him on TV. Especially when you see him in the huddle, how much he is dwarfed by the other prototypical sized NFL players. He also had a hat on, pulled down kind of low. But it was a Seahawks hat and right after I passed him, a couple teenagers ran past me to get his autograph. Then I knew it was him..

I looked at my girlfriend and said, "Oh my god! We JUST walked past Russell Wilson! I didn't even say anything to him!" My girl looked at me like i'm pathetic for having a man-crush. But she obviously doesn't understand. Anyway, at that point I looked back and saw him finish up signing autographs and decided that it wouldn't be nice to bother him while he's out shopping with his wife. So I never even said, "Go Hawks!" to him or anything.

That was a bit off topic, but to answer your question. Yes, to me he seemed taller in person. He is barely under 5'11", which is actually about the average height for an American male (5'10" I believe is the national average). I am 6'1" nearly 6'2 and I didn't feel that much taller than Russ. At least not three inches. Maybe he had some pretty thick shoes on, I don't know.

_________________
~ The Stache'


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:05 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Anchorage, AK
I remember the "short white guy" on our basketball team. Miller was 6ft..... :)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:47 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am
Posts: 11206
You think that post is long? You obviously haven't followed Kearly or Sharkhawk for long.

Great post. Not too long, just enough to get your point across. Welcome to the best Seahawks community there is.

_________________
GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:53 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 pm
Posts: 310
Location: Madison, WI
kearly wrote:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.


He also had a chance to go to Auburn. I remember when Russ visited campus here a lot of people were worried that he would choose the SEC.

_________________
Image
We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. I do not see coincidence,
I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:30 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:52 am
Posts: 32
I met Russell at a Microsoft launch event earlier this fall. Some observations:

1. He IS a classy dude. He is like the guy you wish your son grows up to be. He introduced himself as "Hi, I am Russell", as if I thought he was some Joe, and I had been standing in line for no reason :D

2. He has BIG hands. His right hand almost covered my entire hand when we shook hands!

3. I am 5 ft 8 5/8in. , ok maybe just 5'8. And he is at least 2 inches taller than me!

4. I said, "we're going to the playoffs, baby!" This was probably several games ago, when our playoffs weren't at all a certainty, but he just smiled and said yes. As if he knew already! They aren't kidding about his confidence!

_________________
Go 'Hawks!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:12 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 1290
Location: Olympia
I can't get enough RW stories/info. It's all good! Welcome to one of the most passionate, informed, and humble ;) fan bases in sports!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:40 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Anchorage, AK
kearly wrote:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.


Missed this one -- and yes O'brien was fired this year....... Many said this was a part of the decision. Like how do you let a guy that is playing on Sundays not stay on the team. In his defense many are ranking Glennon as a first rounder (I don't see him succeding at the next level it but others say I am wrong). He has a great release, great arm etc

to me it is Rob Johnson 2.0 - looks like the prototype and there it ends


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:22 am 
*The Prophet*
Online

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm
Posts: 854
Mike Glennon had threatened to leave NC State, if he wasn't given a chance to compete (meaning to get the job really).
Glennon was ranked second or third to A. Luck out of high school. His parents couldn't believe he was sitting on the bench at NC State behind RW.
Russell didn't have a good 3rd year at NC State, throwing more picks than ever in his college career (28 TD, 14 INTs). Coach O'Brien basically forced him to only play from the pocket and always throw down-field. They didn't want him to scramble much. He answered the critics with a 33TDs, 4 INTs season at Wisconsin. It is clear now to everyone that the coaching staff at NC State didn't maximize his potential at NC State.

mikeak wrote:
kearly wrote:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.


Missed this one -- and yes O'brien was fired this year....... Many said this was a part of the decision. Like how do you let a guy that is playing on Sundays not stay on the team. In his defense many are ranking Glennon as a first rounder (I don't see him succeding at the next level it but others say I am wrong). He has a great release, great arm etc

to me it is Rob Johnson 2.0 - looks like the prototype and there it ends

_________________
Joe


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:47 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3076
Location: Anchorage, AK
might as well make this a NC State debate. O'Brien made RW a huge favor making him a pocket passer. Look at the first year for RW with two injuries in a "option scheme". Not sustainable.

RW stats may not be great with the ints but he played good year 2 and 3 anyone seeing him saw the potential


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Russell Wilson is a classy dude
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 424
Good to see fellow Wolfpackers on the bandwagon. I've been on this site since draft night, been following the Seahawks all year (moreso than the Panthers), saw Russel play at BofA stadium, and I'm really excited about following the Seahawks in the future. I was with O'Brien for naming Glennon the starter after RW skipped Spring Practices and summer workouts. He graduated from NC State and particiapated in Senior Day here, when it was obvious to fans and coaches that he would be gone to play pro baseball the next year. The program had moved on by that point when it was pretty clear that RW would be playing pro baseball--it seemed to me the parting was amicable and expected. I'm glad RW ended up in Wisconsin as he had a much better year than he would have had at NC State.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Atradees, AVL, BirdsCommaAngry, danp1990, dbmack, Google [Bot], HawkAroundTheClock, Hawken-Dazs, hgwellz12, IcedHawk, kf3339, Mitch, Mr. McGibblets, samwize77, Seahwkgal, UK_Seahawk, Yahoo [Bot] and 67 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.