49ers assessing damage done by Hawks: Mario Manningham out

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet ... Besides the mental beat down, we really did some real physical damage to these folks !!!

The San Francisco 49ers are still assessing the damage a day after a thorough defeat at the hands of the division rival Seattle Seahawks, but the early returns are not good.

Wide receiver Mario Manningham tore both the ACL and PCL in his left knee, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Manningham, already bothered by a shoulder injury previously, limped out of the locker room Monday on crutches. He was scheduled to have an MRI exam on his left knee after he was tackled low by Leroy Hill and fumbled in the third quarter.

The knee injury will end the season for San Francisco's third-leading receiver. Manningham (449 yards) trails wideout Michael Crabtree (933) and tight end Vernon Davis (543).

Davis must clear the league's NFL concussion protocol after getting knocked off his feet along the sideline by safety Kam Chancellor on a huge hit that looked legal but drew a penalty for thumping a defenseless receiver.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87785 ... -left-knee

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Manningham. I think anyone who has ever had a torn knee ligament and saw that play either flinched or had some sympathetic pain. I know I did.

Dirtball

Reaction score
I was standing next to a 9er fan when he got hit. i cringed and said" sorry man, he's done" in condolences. i hate seeing anybody get an injury like that...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Agreed. The second Manningham grabbed the knee, I turned to my wife and said; this is why these guys make, and deserve, the money they do. Every play might be their last.

Conversely, I had no problem with Vern exiting concussed, but a player (other than Rapistberger) down with a knee is never a good thing. Godspeed to his ultimate recovery.

canzag

Reaction score
Same here.Hope he has a speedy recovery.Good football player.I am thinking Lockette probably is on thier roster next week.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Hope he'll come back eventually (hate to see it end his career), never good to see injuries.

sutz

Reaction score
I never hope for injuries for any players, even ones I "hate." Tough break for the kid, who looks like he has a promising future. Hopefully, he can bounce back.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I like it when players hit hard and it makes the receiver of that hit really uncomfortable. I don't like to see guys get serious injuries, even if they are loudmouth fools like Davis. I was happy with Chancellor's hit, it was totally within the rules, but I didn't enjoy seeing Davis' face when it was pretty apparent he had suffered a concussion. I also get uncomfortable watching players get their limbs ripped around and having their connective tissue damaged. Some people really get a kick out of this when it happens to an opposing team's player and I don't respect that.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
When dudes get their knees wrecked, I just want to cry. That's the worst part about football for me. I hope he gets back soon.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I am grateful for my Dad for instilling in me a sense of sportsmanship and putting it all in perspective. My dad had a bar in his leg instead of a knee from the time he was five years old, and he hated to see guys injured. We went to a Seahawks game in maybe 1980 and a guy on the 49ers got hurt and was down on the field. Here I was 7 years old at my first NFL game thinking it was cool that our team had taken out the other guy (I was already big into boxing and wrestling and of course the point was to take out your opponent). The guy got up and walked off the field after about a minute and looked to be ok. The fans cheered for him like he was one of their own, and I looked at my Dad and said, "Why are they cheering for a guy on the other team so loud? I wanted to boo that he got up!". My Dad looked at me and said, "Because it's the right thing to do. You don't EVER want to see an opponent get hurt, you don't ever want to win a game because their players got injured, and you always are relieved when the guy gets up and he's ok. So we clap and cheer for him when he gets up and is ok, or we cheer for him if they have to take him off on a stretcher to let him know that we are good sports."

It made a lot of sense. I get the feeling that a lot of folks never got that lesson, but I learned it early in Seattle and after reading this thread I see a lot of other folks did too. I never want to win a game because everybody is hurt, and I never want to lose a game because all of our players are hurt. I also don't want referees deciding games. I'm truly grateful for my Dad for teaching me this lesson at my first pro game. It's something I've instilled in my son and I would never wish injury on an opponent, and I hope Manningham comes back as good as ever.

As somebody who has lived with a lot of injuries, I can tell you that I wouldn't wish them on anybody. I know they are going to happen, and that is the hard part of the game for me. But if it happens on a clean play, then we chalk it up to bad luck and hope the man heals.

I feel a bit of frustration that 49ers fans are going off claiming the Seahawks are dirty and intentionally injuring players. I've seen dirty play, and I don't think the Hawks were playing dirty. I think they were playing with the same mindset Patrick Willis of their team does. Hit hard, but hit legally and do everything you can to prevent TD's. That's what Kam did and got penalized for it. Very frustrating.

I did see a couple of very dirty plays... one took place on Jeremy Lane when the offensive tackle of the 9ers ran straight at him in the endzone late in the game and knocked him down (legal, not really dirty, but just lame), but then he proceeded to grab him by the head and slam it into the turf. That to me was a dirty play. Kam's play was NOT dirty. Then the spear and slam on the head of Baldwin was dirty, and Harbaugh's reaction of complaining about it really struck me as odd. I think realistically that if our player had done that he'd be directed toward the bench and Pete would have had a discussion with him then and there about what is and isn't acceptable and the importance of keeping his cool. Instead Harbaugh goes off on the ref for a solid minute and won't let it drop 2 or 3 plays later. It was a dangerous play that very well could have resulted in a broken neck for Doug Baldwin... Harbaugh had a front row seat, and he has the audacity to complain. Pretty weird, especially when it was a kid he had coached in college. You'd think he'd be concerned for the player's safety and telling his own players to be careful to not cost his team additional yardage, even if he doesn't care about the possibility of snapping a man's neck, but he is more concerned with going off on the refs. Weird all around.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I feel bad for the player and the team, I would rather play them at full strength and don't like to see anyone get hurt.

That being said, I will say I take a little satisfaction out of the pain the fans are feeling. After having conversations last off season about the unbelievable health streak they were on and getting answers like, it's because their players aren't soft like ours and said with apparently full expectations that their lucky health run would never come to an end because of it. Add in the number of 9er fans I have recently seen wishing injury to Wilson and Sherman or hoping the whole team dies in a plane crash and yeah, even though I would never wish an injury on a player and hope all of them make full recoveries, I have to admit I did get a little satisfaction at the cost of their fans.

They are rapidly overtaking even the Steelers fan base for biggest douche fan base of all time.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1mi9y9n7 said:
...the spear and slam on the head of Baldwin was dirty, and Harbaugh's reaction of complaining about it really struck me as odd. I think realistically that if our player had done that he'd be directed toward the bench and Pete would have had a discussion with him then and there about what is and isn't acceptable and the importance of keeping his cool. Instead Harbaugh goes off on the ref for a solid minute and won't let it drop 2 or 3 plays later. It was a dangerous play that very well could have resulted in a broken neck for Doug Baldwin... Harbaugh had a front row seat, and he has the audacity to complain. Pretty weird, especially when it was a kid he had coached in college. You'd think he'd be concerned for the player's safety and telling his own players to be careful to not cost his team additional yardage, even if he doesn't care about the possibility of snapping a man's neck, but he is more concerned with going off on the refs. Weird all around.

I've been wondering why so many people are so passionate about always calling Harbaugh a douchebag, and your comment puts it in perspective. Their guy goes to body-slam Baldwin, while another spears him, and Harbaugh whines to the ref... and the point that Baldwin played for Harbaugh at Stanford, you'd think that there would be a bond and caring between Harbaugh and past players, like there clearly is with Pete--but apparently not, it's Harbaugh. I am starting to get it now, between Sherman and Baldwin. I'm glad we have the normal, decent human being in Carroll, and the 49ers can keep Harbaugh. Better than that, I think we have the much superior long-term coach. Harbaugh's best year was his first year; 49ers already have more losses this year than last. The Harbaugh act could get old quickly in SF if the trend continues down, like it probably will for the playoffs, in part due to the key injuries they have.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I didn't have any problem with the tackle/hits on Baldwin,

Good, aggressive football.

If that had been Browner and Earl you all would agree.

sc85sis

Reaction score
No I wouldn't. Doug was in a wrestling hold in the air, completely stopped and unable to move or defend himself when the second player decided to come in and add an extra hit. That was completely unnecessary and deserved the flag. If one of our guys did that I'd be ticked that he was that stupid and cost us penalty yards and acted like a thug.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2msz7xzj said:
I didn't have any problem with the tackle/hits on Baldwin,

Good, aggressive football.

If that had been Braowner and Earl you all would agree.

It wasn't the slam. It was the fact that another defender launched himself (read, left his feet and used himself as a projectile into a WR that was going nowhere). I would not be happy about that if it was one of our players doing the hitting.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

But what did you expect them to do? Should they have set him down nicely and ask him not to run upfield?

This game happens pretty fast.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2z4kb552 said:
I shouldn't say "what you would do if". I don't like that, myself.

But what did you expect them to do? Should they have set him down nicely and ask him not to run upfield?

This game happens pretty fast.

Normally I would agree but Culliver had plenty of time to make a better decision.