Russell Wilson is a classy dude

RockHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, and welcome to the team of the 12. We gladly accept anyone that's passionate about the team, the players, and being really loud!

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Great story dude , I live in the Raleigh area and I've been a diehard Seahawk fan for a good decade now .

I regret never going to Any wolf pack games to watch Russell Wilson lol . Man it's so exciting to know our QB position is in good hands

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, great first post and welcome to Seahawks Nation!

mikeak

Reaction score
OP
1) where on campus is the elevator? :). I can't remember being in one so not doubting just curios. Wait just got it Talley Student Center?

2) I played back the intro 10 times to make sure I heard it. Wasn't sure in how to interpret it but also decided to go with the nod to both programs and appreciated it.

For those that care - Yes Koren was NC State (his jersey is the only one I own Nd it is on the wall framed), Hauscka and RW are the other two on the team with NC State history. Edit: missed J.R

After NE game I posted on FB - nice to see an elite NC State qb and no Rivers not talking about you.....:)

Zowert

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1duptczg said:
Great story. Thanks for taking the time to share. One question. Having shared an elevator and all. Is Russell taller or shorter in real life?

I didn't get the pleasure of meeting Russ, but I did walk RIGHT by him and his wife in downtown Bellevue (Lincoln Square) not too long ago. So I could measure myself up to him. The funny thing is, at first I didn't think it was Russell Wilson because he seemed much taller than I imagined, after seeing him on TV. Especially when you see him in the huddle, how much he is dwarfed by the other prototypical sized NFL players. He also had a hat on, pulled down kind of low. But it was a Seahawks hat and right after I passed him, a couple teenagers ran past me to get his autograph. Then I knew it was him..

I looked at my girlfriend and said, "Oh my god! We JUST walked past Russell Wilson! I didn't even say anything to him!" My girl looked at me like i'm pathetic for having a man-crush. But she obviously doesn't understand. Anyway, at that point I looked back and saw him finish up signing autographs and decided that it wouldn't be nice to bother him while he's out shopping with his wife. So I never even said, "Go Hawks!" to him or anything.

That was a bit off topic, but to answer your question. Yes, to me he seemed taller in person. He is barely under 5'11", which is actually about the average height for an American male (5'10" I believe is the national average). I am 6'1" nearly 6'2 and I didn't feel that much taller than Russ. At least not three inches. Maybe he had some pretty thick shoes on, I don't know.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
You think that post is long? You obviously haven't followed Kearly or Sharkhawk for long.

Great post. Not too long, just enough to get your point across. Welcome to the best Seahawks community there is.

BBlades89

Reaction score
kearly":3dillm6b said:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.

He also had a chance to go to Auburn. I remember when Russ visited campus here a lot of people were worried that he would choose the SEC.

red17hawk

Reaction score
I met Russell at a Microsoft launch event earlier this fall. Some observations:

1. He IS a classy dude. He is like the guy you wish your son grows up to be. He introduced himself as "Hi, I am Russell", as if I thought he was some Joe, and I had been standing in line for no reason :D

2. He has BIG hands. His right hand almost covered my entire hand when we shook hands!

3. I am 5 ft 8 5/8in. , ok maybe just 5'8. And he is at least 2 inches taller than me!

4. I said, "we're going to the playoffs, baby!" This was probably several games ago, when our playoffs weren't at all a certainty, but he just smiled and said yes. As if he knew already! They aren't kidding about his confidence!

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I can't get enough RW stories/info. It's all good! Welcome to one of the most passionate, informed, and humble ;) fan bases in sports!

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":3vsbf37p said:
Great insight. I always figured Wilson went to Wisconsin as a cold, calculated move to further his NFL chances (Wisconsin was a GREAT team, and they had one of the tallest lines anywhere which helped him prove he was draftable). I can scarcely believe he was forced out at NC State. Now THAT is an incompetent coach.

Missed this one -- and yes O'brien was fired this year....... Many said this was a part of the decision. Like how do you let a guy that is playing on Sundays not stay on the team. In his defense many are ranking Glennon as a first rounder (I don't see him succeding at the next level it but others say I am wrong). He has a great release, great arm etc

to me it is Rob Johnson 2.0 - looks like the prototype and there it ends

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Mike Glennon had threatened to leave NC State, if he wasn't given a chance to compete (meaning to get the job really).
Glennon was ranked second or third to A. Luck out of high school. His parents couldn't believe he was sitting on the bench at NC State behind RW.
Russell didn't have a good 3rd year at NC State, throwing more picks than ever in his college career (28 TD, 14 INTs). Coach O'Brien basically forced him to only play from the pocket and always throw down-field. They didn't want him to scramble much. He answered the critics with a 33TDs, 4 INTs season at Wisconsin. It is clear now to everyone that the coaching staff at NC State didn't maximize his potential at NC State.

mikeak":1x9src6x said:
kearly":1x9src6x said:

Missed this one -- and yes O'brien was fired this year....... Many said this was a part of the decision. Like how do you let a guy that is playing on Sundays not stay on the team. In his defense many are ranking Glennon as a first rounder (I don't see him succeding at the next level it but others say I am wrong). He has a great release, great arm etc

to me it is Rob Johnson 2.0 - looks like the prototype and there it ends

mikeak

Reaction score
might as well make this a NC State debate. O'Brien made RW a huge favor making him a pocket passer. Look at the first year for RW with two injuries in a "option scheme". Not sustainable.

RW stats may not be great with the ints but he played good year 2 and 3 anyone seeing him saw the potential

aawolf

Reaction score
Good to see fellow Wolfpackers on the bandwagon. I've been on this site since draft night, been following the Seahawks all year (moreso than the Panthers), saw Russel play at BofA stadium, and I'm really excited about following the Seahawks in the future. I was with O'Brien for naming Glennon the starter after RW skipped Spring Practices and summer workouts. He graduated from NC State and particiapated in Senior Day here, when it was obvious to fans and coaches that he would be gone to play pro baseball the next year. The program had moved on by that point when it was pretty clear that RW would be playing pro baseball--it seemed to me the parting was amicable and expected. I'm glad RW ended up in Wisconsin as he had a much better year than he would have had at NC State.