Random Thoughts™ on the 49ers game

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Excellent as usual my man. Agree completey with your assertation that this offense needs a WR that just gets open. I'm hopeful that over time the present group will also get better at coming back to Russ/working themselves open when he starts scrambling around. But a Bobby Engram type would be welcome and those guys don't require a first or second round draft pick or a huge FA contract.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
Kearly,

I just read Peter kings MMQB. Then I read your piece. He really needs to take some pointers from you to hone his writing skills.

I'm being serious. You should seriously be making a living doing this.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":302t0nd5 said:
JSeahawks":302t0nd5 said:
And in regards to number 2 and needing another WR. What do you think about Percy Harvin? I've heard its very unlikely he'll be back in Minnesota. I think he'd be a hugely dangerous addition to our WR core.

I didn't even know Harvin would be available. He obviously makes a ton of sense- he fits the quick WR profile that John Schneider and Ted Thompson have targeted in the draft, he gets open easily as evidenced by the huge number of receptions, and he has history with Darrell Bevell. Finding the money for him could be tricky, but yeah. Makes all the sense in the world.

Edit: He's a free agent in 2014. So I assume you mean the Seahawks pursuing a Harvin trade? I'd be more hesitant to do that, just because the money plus the pick is a double whammy on resources and I really like this draft for WRs. However, if the draft comes and goes and Seattle can't get their guy, I'd consider offering a 2014 pick for Harvin.

Yea, he apparently wants out of Minnesota. I think he'd be the perfect piece to fill in this offense. I'd be willing to go as high as a 2nd rounder this year.

This report from just 2 days ago:

In the aftermath of a report this week from Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com that Harvin and coach Leslie Frazier engaged in a “heated exchange” before Harvin’s placement on injured reserve, there is plenty of scuttlebutt regarding the question of whether Harvin will ask again to be traded — and whether this time the Vikings will decide to grant his request.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... g-vikings/

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I thought Harbaugh blew any chance the 49ers had with his early playcalling. I said last week that I thought Harbaugh was losing his teams identity by trying to throw the ball so much with Kaepernick, and he came out did exactly that. He chose not to set a physical tone, instead he made the statement that they weren't going to try and pound the ball. When he made that decision, the game was over. The Seahawks, the nation, the fans were all ready for a physical street fight like the first meeting, everyone was ready for that, except the 49ers.

I wasn't that worried about the pass rush because I think part of the scheme was to stay in the pass rush lanes and when kaepernick scrambles, make him move side to side rather than allowing him to run downhill. Sure, the pass rush isn't great, but they made him uncomfortable at times, and sometimes thats worth more than a sack.

Wilson's interception was partially his fault, the ball was too high and he should've just thrown it at Turbin's feet, the 49ers were all over that play and it was the only time that night where they really attacked a play. They were on their heels the rest of the evening.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":21dv2vke said:
Yea, he apparently wants out of Minnesota. I think he'd be the perfect piece to fill in this offense. I'd be willing to go as high as a 2nd rounder this year.

For me the hard part is the money aspect. I'm assuming Harvin will want at least DeSean Jackson money ($10 million per). Having that kind of contract on the books almost forces Seattle to release Zach Miller to make ends meet while still having a prayer of locking up some of our big name free agents in 2014.

Then you have the 2nd round pick- that pick could be a player like Robert Woods, Marcus Wheaton, Keenan Allen, Tavon Austin, or DeAndre Hopkins among others.

So basically if we did that trade, it would be like trading Miller + Woods/Allen/Wheaton/Austin/Hopkins for Harvin. I think we are better not making that deal.

Harvin does make sense for Seattle, but like every move cost matters. The reason the Seahawks are so good right now is because they are loaded with outstanding players on dirt cheap contracts. Then you factor in the draft pick, and it's a double whammy, because draft picks turn into good, cheap players that add more wins per dollar than all but the most stellar free agents do.

I think if Harvin cost a 7th round pick and signed a 5/25 type contract, obviously I'd want Seattle to be all over that. But at 5/50 and a 2nd, that's way too rich for me. I think my ceiling would probably be a 4th rounder (since these are easy to acquire from draft day trade downs) and a Sidney Rice type contract. Anything more than that, and I'm not interested.

Of course, it's possible Seattle just isn't interested in Harvin. This is a great draft for WRs that fit the Ted Thompson/John Schneider profile, and I think it's the real reason why John Schneider bad mouthed last year's WR class, which was universally considered to be an above average class. Harvin is talking his way off a team that has a real chance to make the playoffs next week. He has a reputation as a "me first" player. He's also the only WR worth a damn on a team that has a limited, 1-read QB, and that really blows his production out of the water. He's still really good and nearly peerless after the catch, but there are reasons to approach him with caution.

At the right price, I'd be stoked to get him. I think he'd fit our offense well. He'd provide a successor to Leon Washington on special teams. He'd allow Carroll/Bevell to open up the playbook even more. I don't expect him to put up huge numbers for us like he did in Minnesota, but for the right price I think he makes a ton of sense.

seahawk2k":21dv2vke said:
Wilson's interception was partially his fault, the ball was too high and he should've just thrown it at Turbin's feet, the 49ers were all over that play and it was the only time that night where they really attacked a play. They were on their heels the rest of the evening.

Wilson had to throw over a pass rusher and elevate his throw. It's pretty routine to see that on a screen play. Turbin had two hands on it. It wasn't the easiest throw/catch but we're talking about a ball that went like 8 feet. He has to catch that. It wasn't automatic, but a great 3rd down back would make it look like it. I thought it was a much easier pass to catch than his drop in the first game that cost a touchdown. I don't think Wilson could have seen Willis. Willis came out of nowhere in a hurry to blow that play up, and had he missed, Turbin would have had a huge gain. But if Wilson did see it, then yeah, throwing the ball into the ground would have been the best COA. Either way, I put close to 0% of the blame on that interception on Wilson. It was mostly Turbin but also partly luck and partly a great effort by Willis.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I personally put at least half of the Turbin interception on Wilson. I wonder what he thinks. Thatnks for the write up Kearly, awsome as usual.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I'd put maybe 10% of it on Wilson. It wasn't a perfect throw, but it's a routine play a RB has to make. At the very least, those kinds of plays almost never turn into interceptions.

Really, it was a luck interception more than anything. Right place right time for Willis.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kearly":1xexve8o said:
I'd put maybe 10% of it on Wilson. It wasn't a perfect throw, but it's a routine play a RB has to make. At the very least, those kinds of plays almost never turn into interceptions.

Really, it was a luck interception more than anything. Right place right time for Willis.

BTW, why do you think Tate can never be "that guy"?

Just a concerned Tate fan :(

plyka

Reaction score
kearly":39p6e6eo said:

Not sure if you've ever played football but that's an impossible catch for turbine to make. For a wr id understand but for turbine, never. First off turbine is far bulkier than a wr, secondly his shoulder pads are much bulkier than a wr 's. These two points make it near impossible for him to catch the ball so high directly above his head, especially when its thrown so hard at such close range. It may have been his only major mistake but id say 100% of the blame needs to go to Wilson. There was no reward as the play was covered tightly and extremely high risk along with a horrible throw.

Also for those who are talking about Percy Garvin, forget about it. Tate= harvin. They are the same player.