• 05' team

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • 12' team

Votes: 73 77.7%

• Total voters

TestMo1337

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":275mtb1g said:
Well since a team ranging from across a whole season wouldn't make sense for this question, my question assumed the two teams were using their Dec 24 teams,which I actually made clear in my OP.
I still have a hard time voting against the '05 team. The '05 team won 11 straight games in a row. No let downs except in game 4 where Slave-to-the-Businessman doinked a FG off the up-right.

The '12 team as exciting as they are not as consistent in my opinion. Are they more exciting? Questionable. Our '05 was an efficient killer with long-sustaining drives that would gas defenses and then our rapid defense would force turnovers.

Again, I feel that people are nothing thinking of Alexander, Hasselbeck, Darrel Jackson, Mack Strong, Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Bryce Fisher, Grant Wistrom, Lofa Tatupu, Marcus Trufant, etc in their Prime.

Could this '12 evolve into a better team? Mos def... but after week 16, the '05 team just rattled off their 11th consecutive win. Even as electric as this '12 team is, they have not shown that ability.

Erebus

Reaction score
madbohem":34e4db8q said:
Hasselbeck wouldnt survive the first quarter.

How do you figure? The '12 team doesn't have a great pass rush, and the '05 O-line was the best in football, and the left side was arguably the best of all time.

The 05 team was good at using opposing defenses' aggressiveness against them. They were also good at exploiting weaknesses in a defense, which the 12 team does have.

I think it would be a high scoring game.

sutz

Reaction score
By this time of the season, the '05 team was feeling very depleted in the secondary. Eventually that would be a contributing factor to losing *XL. This '12 team, while facing similar losses in the secondary, is handling that much better.

I voted '12. But it would be an interesting matchup. '05 was better ball control, but '12 is much more explosive on offense.

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawkWow":3etn3dcn said:
glowingeyedseahawk":3etn3dcn said:
I'm enjoying the '12 team with MUCH MORE to follow......
but
my vote is for/still our only SB team !!

take this poll in 4 weeks after we win the 2012 NFC Championship, and I might vote differently......

Until then,
2005 team RULES Seahawk lore......................... :th2thumbs:

Excellent point. That 05 team was about as good as they were going to get...especially with the certain loss of Hutch. That created the domino effect. This 12 team is all upside with nobody going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

It is hard to choose yet I cwent with the current team because they are young and fast and brutal at all three phases. When a player goes down its not just a cliche....the next player does in fact step up. Competion is taken to heart and the players on the team know this isnt BS coachspeak because they have a 24 mil backup qb.

But then again the 2005 team was tough to beat (Hasselbeck at his best)

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
I voted for the '12 team because the game would be on a Neutral Field, which is essentially a road game. The 2012 incarnation of the Seahawks seems better equipped to win on the road than the 2005 version. In 2005 they had a 5-3 road record and one of those losses was the last game of the year against GB resting all the starters. They did struggle at Tennessee and at San Francisco (who was terrible that year) and of course we lost in the Super Bowl. I feel like the Hawks should have won that SB and the referees really cost us the opportunity to win that game but the '12 team seems better equipped to handle adversity. If Hass doesn't throw that pick in the 4th quarter after that bullshit holding call maybe we get a FG and it's a 14-13 game. Instead he threw the pick and Pittsburgh made it 21-10 a play or two later and the game was basically over. I always felt like he sort of panicked there and just threw it up trying to make a play even though it was only a 4 point game. Wilson, although he is a rookie, does not seem to be affected by the "moment" as much as Hass tended to be sometimes. And he is my favorite Seahawk of all time.

kearly

Reaction score
The 2005 seahawks were almost exactly like the current Atlanta Falcons. The 2012 team would likely crush Atlanta at a neutral location.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The homers are coming out for the 12 team, but let's stop and analyze this:

05 has the ball - Walter Jones, Steve Hutchison, Mack Strong, Shaun Alexander, that crew will get some yards. It won't be as many as they're used to, but they won't be shut down. Alexander ran for 1880 yards with a 5.1 ypc average, both of which are greater than Lynch. 12's run D gives up more yards per game than 05's did by a large margin. 12's pass rush is not so great and 05's pass pro is beyond excellent. No way anyone's getting to Hass. 12's secondary doesn't give him much to throw to, but we've all seen that secondary be soft in the middle - right where Bobby Engram likes to operate. Big day for Bobby, not much for Jackson. Bobby will move the chains on 3rd down. When there is a 3rd down, something the 05 offense hardly ever saw. Against the 12 defense, they'll see a few more than they're accustomed to. This offense was #1 redzone in the NFL. That's precisely where the 12 defense gets toughest. That will be where this game gets interesting.

12 has the ball: That's the 05 defense out there. They will put immense pressure on Wilson. 50 sacks that year. That's also the defense we all named the Bend, Don't Break defense. They'll let you have the middle of the field, but they'll hold you to a FG. After next week, the 12 defense will have only given up a few less points than the 05 defense. Wilson, however, will scramble out of that brutal pass rush all day. He'll find what the defense gives him until they get to the red zone. Then it will be his running skills vs guys like Big Play Babs, spying him down the whole way.

So it comes down to this: Red zone offense. 12's secondary will shut down 05's pass game in the red zone, but in the red zone is precisely where Alexander thrived. 05's defense in general will shut down 12's pass game in the red zone with their bilstering pass rush and stout defense. Wilson's scrambling ability will be what sets 12 apart from 05. Lynch is great, but he's not the TD machine Alexander was in the red zone.

I have to give the advantage to the 05 team.

chris98251

Reaction score
05 team was surgical, were talking man to man and not throwing injuries into the equation or the loss of both Browner and Sherman possibly, I mean you make a statement but to choose when we match up isn't really quite fair. With everyone healthy and playing man up 05 team disects us because they take what they can and run run run.

Being honest with ourselves, we have played against Keapernick, Fitzgerald, Lindley and Skelton and going back to Chicago Cutler and Tannihill and Stafford. We lost to Detroit, experienced Vet, we beat Chicago but it was close with Cutler another experienced Vet, Tannihill beat us but it wasn't a QB expected to win but not make mistakes which he didn't.

Take 05 Hass and our WR's a and he is a surgeon, he would take what this defense gave, with Bobby and DJack as well as Jurivicious that all could get open and who would not be intimidated with our physical secondary I think they frusterate our current group.

themunn

Reaction score
sammyc521":2e9w0x67 said:
Man... some people's memories are short...

The '05 team does not lose against the Phins, Lions, Cards or Rams.

so it goes 16-0 this season?

If they 2005 and 2012 teams faced off in game 1 and game 16 of the season I have no doubt they'd split, with our rookie-led offense and rookie-led defense not quite up to the experience levels required. 3 months later though I have no doubt this team would destroy them.

we beat 3 teams with a winning record that year, the, the giants (3 missed field goals!) and the colts (resting their starters)
our NFC west opponents went a combined 15-33 (and we got to play each of them twice!), as opposed to (currently) 22-21-2 (almost certain to finish 23-23-2, assuming no ties next week), in fact our total opponent record this year is:

112-109-3, and with many of our opponents this year facing off next week (Jets-Bills, Bears-Lions, Vikings-Packers, Dolphins-Patriots, Cardinals-49ers), we're likely to finish with an opponent record of 127-125-4 compared to 110-146 in 2005, in which we also had the luxury of playing a 14-2 team resting its starters to make the record look even better.

This team is far far better overall, if you look at the final 10 games of the season, we've averaged 30.6 points a game over that period - although the 2005 team averaged 33.5 over its final 11 games (i've gone with an extra game because we haven't played our 16th game yet this season), but we're also the number 1 ranked scoring defense this year, and considering the increased strength of schedule this year
A full 10 of our games so far have come against teams with a top 16 scoring defense, which could rise to 11 or go down to 9 depending on the severity of our beatdown on the Rams on Sunday, this compared to just 3 teams with a scoring defense in the top 16 in 2005 - in fact, 8 of our games were against teams in the bottom 7 in scoring defense in 2005 (thanks NFC West!).

Simply put, I think this offense could beat any defense put in front of them right now.

And our defense is just as good

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
If any of you guys are bored I just watched the 2010 playoff game over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaKSnRK5mDE

It's amazing how much speedier this team is. The LB's get there quickly, I'm watching Brees dump it in this game and it's taking forever for Curry, Hawthorne and Tatupu to get to the ball.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
'05 is the safer choice here. That team just never faltered except when more than 11 men finally ganged up on them. I think if the game was played out 10 times then they'd win six of them.

HansGruber

Reaction score

2005 were finesse. 2005 didnt have the ability to come back from adversity.

We lost XL because that bad holding call on Locklear had a dramatic and devastating impact on the whole team's psyche. I was at the game and watched Hass trudge off the field totally distracted, distraught and defeated. We lost the game on that call. 2005 wasn't built for adversity.

2012 is built like the Steelers team that beat us. Young, dumb and full of fight. And a much more physical defense and run game. Sure, Alexander was awesome in 2005. Broke records. But he got outplayed by a mediocre physical run game and a strong defense. A few big plays and trick plays killed us. The 2012 team would be the one making those plays.

And as much as we all love the memories, lets be honest. Holmgren was the most predictable coach I've ever seen. 3rd and long? Here comes the draw up the gut. That team was predictable, boring and didn't have half the fight off the 2012 squad.

Wilson > Hass. Any day, every day.

2012 would win by at least 2 touchdowns.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":1kro3pcm said:
The 2005 seahawks were almost exactly like the current Atlanta Falcons. The 2012 team would likely crush Atlanta at a neutral location.

Not sure about that. Atlanta is missing one ingredient. When Shawn Alexander got in red zone, he would hit paydirt, period! That would, in essense, nullify the 'bend but not brake' approach this D relies upon to compensate for having no pass rush.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I do know one thing.

Walter Jones would make Red Bryant and Chris Clemons his bitches.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
2005 (16 games) vs 2012 (15 games) Stats

'12 392 26.13/gm (8th)

Total Yards
'05 5915 369.68/gm (2nd)
'12 5248 349.87/gm (16th)

Passing
'05 3458 216.13/gm 25 TDs 10 INTs
'12 2822 188.13/gm 26* TDs 10 INTs *(Golden Tate is the 26th TD; not Wilson)

Rushing
'05 2457 153.57/gm 29 TDs
'12 2426 161.73/gm 15 TDs

Defense Points Given Up
'05 271 16.94/gm (7th)
'12 232 15.46/gm (1st)

Defensive Yards
'05 5069 316.81/gm (17th)
'12 4568 304.53/gm (4th)

rastahawk

Reaction score
That's a tough one. That '05 team had its strengths too but I would categorize them as more finesse. The current team is more hard nose. Our current pass rush is not that effective and that '05 O line was the best in football. The current secondary would spend all day running after Alexander. Then Hasselbeck would probably sneak in a few big plays on account of that. In the end I think Pete would figure out a way to win the game. The current offense have mastered game plan execution to an art form.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
You guys should all check out this site:

http://www.whatifsports.com/locker/

You can match up any team from any era against each other. The only problem is that right now it only has the 2012 teams stats thru week 13, so it doesnt have the 2012 team as good as they are right now. I've done the matchup about 10 times and most are actually fairly low scoring with 2005 winning the majority.

Its a pretty cool site. I dont know how accurate it is but it will give you an entire play by play of your simulated game, full game stats and everything.

themunn

Reaction score
Another question is, how many players from 2005 would start for the 2012 team?
Leroy Hill is an obvious exception since he started for both, but I wouldn't pick a single player from 2005 defense over their 2012 counterparts

On offense, obviously Walt and Hutch are gimmes (though Okung is having a stellar year and deserves an honourable mention), after that it's pretty much personal preference - I don't think there'd be a significant dropoff either way if you switched Tate and Rice for Jurevicius and D-Jack, Engram would obviously be first choice over Baldwin, but even then the dropoff isn't significant, I'll leave the Alexander/Lynch, Hasselbeck/Wilson choices out of it as we've had enough discussion over them, Strong is the superior fullback but once again the dropoff to Robinson isn't huge, Unger is probably a better center than Tobeck was, and I'd take December Giacomini over 2005 Locklear (who I'd take over September Giacomini), Miller and McCoy are no doubt preferably to Stevens at TE.

All in all, the 2005 offense probably has a slight advantage, but not a significant one, and one that is totally negated by the quality of our defense and special teams.
The bend-don't-break quality of the 2005 defense would be useless against Russell "always scores in the red-zone" Wilson (longest active streak in NFL)

Seeker

Reaction score
if this game was in the clink it would end in a 0 - 0 tie. neither teams offense would be able to widthstand the 12th man.