Would you trade the Mariners for an NBA team?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • yes or no? simple question.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Yes in a heartbeat. The M's have turned me off to baseball.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• At this point, absolutely!
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• No. I hate that the mariners have been so futile that threads like this even exist. This is how it started for the sonics.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Nope.

MLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA

I hate that the Sonics were stolen and I love Basketball but I just don't enjoy the NBA. It's a joke.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran

• Yessir! In a heartbeat. It would be sweet justice as I feel Lincoln had a hand in getting rid of the Sonics.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Baseball is a grueling 162 game season that drags on for ever.

While I am no fan of the current NBA, I have always loved the Sonics.

Yes, especially to rub it in all the Mariners fans that said, "I don't care if the Sonics leave. I'm a baseball fan."
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• sammyc521 wrote:Baseball is a grueling 162 game season that drags on for ever.

While I am no fan of the current NBA, I have always loved the Sonics.

Yes, especially to rub it in all the Mariners fans that said, "I don't care if the Sonics leave. I'm a baseball fan."

That's definitely the point of this.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• Yep. I'd fly out to see them. I'd buy tickets for them when they come south. Mariners seem focused solely on money and not winning titles. Didn't they even try to fight the new NBA team on threatening their territory? F the Mariners.
    SEC FAN
    NET Starter

• JKent82 wrote:Nope.

MLB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NBA

I hate that the Sonics were stolen and I love Basketball but I just don't enjoy the NBA. It's a joke.

This.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Hell yeah, without hesitation or thinking twice.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• No. The NBA is bullcrap.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• SharkHawk wrote:No. The NBA is bullcrap.

agreed, nba is crap
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

• GoldenIsThyTate wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:No. The NBA is bullcrap.

agreed, nba is crap

The NBA is CRAP!
    NO!
    Seaman
    NET Rookie

• MLB is also crap. 162 games and then possible another 28 more?

Really, it can take up to 190 games to determine who is the best?

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Rainiers > Mariners

Atleast they give us Fireworks every Friday (I think)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• sammyc521 wrote:MLB is also crap. 162 games and then possible another 28 more?

Heaven forbid that we as sports fans have more sports to watch!!!
    Seaman
    NET Rookie

• Seaman wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:MLB is also crap. 162 games and then possible another 28 more?

Well, unless you're in Seattle then you just got 162 days of straight garbage, but by June you'll act like you're just watching because you respect the game and the other teams as they whoop the mess out of your team.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• No, we can have both. the team needs to stay, the ownership and management needs to GO
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

• [quote="therealjohncarlson"]yes or no? simple question.[/quotes]
    For an NBA team no, for an NHL team yes, just as long as Howard Lincoln and Chuck Armstrong have nothing to do with it.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Yes - please take our Toronto Raptors!!
    silverss
    NET Rookie

• as much as i'm down on the mariners, i'd have to say no... but fortunately we can have both.... and as long as NHL stays the hell away i'm good...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• No. I would trade them for the NHL, but that league is in dire straits with Bettman at the helm. Baseball isn't always terribly exciting game, but it is almost every day from April 1st to November 1st, which for at least the casual supporter is pretty cool.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

• NBA team: No, NHL team: Yes for sure. But the way that league is run you may have a lockout every 7 years.
    "12's, they're bringing the trophy home." - Steve Raible
    seahawksfan28
    NET Veteran

• seahawksfan28 wrote:NBA team: No, NHL team: Yes for sure. But the way that league is run you may have a lockout every 7 years.

True, but with that floating turd that is Howard Lincoln running things the M's won't be watchable until that POS is gone.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• I want both but if I had to pick one over the other I'd pick basketball team in a heartbeat.
    Skittles - The candy of champions.
    Seahawksfan425
    NET Veteran

• Yes, a hundred times yes.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

• Just wondering if the next owner we get for the Mariners is going to be a piece of work like every one we have had to date, either delusionary and in way over his head or just a stupid idiot. In this case we have one that doesn't even what this city feels about things since Lincoln and Armstron seem to run interference about stuff.

I'm going back to the days of the Pilots as far as ownership goes.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• No. I know I'll get judged for this statement, but I still trust in what Jack Z is doing with this team. The MLB isn't the NFL, teams aren't turned around in a season (unless you're willing to buy a whole lot of quality FA's, and trade a whole lot of prospects, which is expensive and almost always leads to an unsustainable high).
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• I would trade the mariners for a pile of dog doo.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:I would trade the mariners for a pile of dog doo.

Thats not fair value. the dog doo deserves better than this.
    WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

• No. The NBA is stupid.
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *

• I love the Sonics but no. Not a chance.

It's funny though, once the Mariners start winning in two years all your "yeses" will change...
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:I love the Sonics but no. Not a chance.

It's funny though, once the Mariners start winning in two years all your "yeses" will change...

Luckily we'll have the Sonics and I'll be able to continue my apathetic attitude towards that joke.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

"Once the Mariners start winning in two years"

God I've been hearing that from you guys for over a decade.

I love the optimism, but forgive me if i don't share it.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Not as long as Lincoln is in charge and Mr.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• We're talking about a team who came into the league in '77 and has only been to the playoffs a grand total for 4 times

lemme repeat that

4 TIMES

Team isn't gonna be good in 1-2 skip a few 99-100 years.

But if cats wanna hang onto that ship that's been submerged for some time now, go on ahead and do you.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• So the alternative is just assume the Mariners are a dead franchise that will never ever compete again?

I'm sorry, the Mariners have done plenty to lose themselves the benefit of the doubt and even more to raise the ire of fans, but lately the anti-M's stuff has gone from hyperbole to hysteria. Disliking the current owners is one thing, but to write off the franchise entirely? And why do we have to get so damn divisive with our teams and even those local teams' fans? This isn't an either/or and this thread presents a bizarre hypothetical that is purely set to stoke the fire. I love the Seahawks, I love the Sonics, and I love the Mariners. Do the Mariners suck? Yeah, but that doesn't mean we should even start talking about indifference towards the idea of losing them. That type of attitude has presented itself before, we saw it with certain groups the first time they almost left, when the Hawks almost left, and even when the Sonics DID leave. Don't be a part of that crowd.

It's fun to dismiss everything the M's do and to write off everyone who says "they're going to be good in a couple years", but that's just silly. There is a lot to be excited about within the M's organization. Do the owners and the execs suck? Yeah, but we've been pumped about Seattle teams before with awful ownership, that's almost a Seattle tradition. Unless you're going to be a giant payroll team, which the M's will likely never be even with a new owner, it takes a good long while to build a team.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:It's fun to dismiss everything the M's do and to write off everyone who says "they're going to be good in a couple years", but that's just silly. There is a lot to be excited about within the M's organization. Do the owners and the execs suck? Yeah, but we've been pumped about Seattle teams before with awful ownership, that's almost a Seattle tradition. Unless you're going to be a giant payroll team, which the M's will likely never be even with a new owner, it takes a good long while to build a team.

And those teams, despite lots of losing to build good young talent, have always been pretty bad. Which is why people write off those who say the team will be good in a couple of years. It's not a dismissal of the positives with the team, but an acknowledgement that the ownership will find a way to ruin the end product.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• Seaman wrote:
    sammyc521 wrote:MLB is also crap. 162 games and then possible another 28 more?

For some fans 162 games is great but I am not a fan of the marathon that is the mlb season.

I have never felt that the NFL season needs more games. When I was watching the NBA I felt the same. For mlb, I've prayed for a shortened season forever.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Throwdown wrote:We're talking about a team who came into the league in '77 and has only been to the playoffs a grand total for 4 times

lemme repeat that

4 TIMES

Team isn't gonna be good in 1-2 skip a few 99-100 years.

But if cats wanna hang onto that ship that's been submerged for some time now, go on ahead and do you.

Since this is a die hard Seahawks board, and the two teams came into their leagues at roughly the same time, take some time to compare the two....

How many times have the seahawks been to the playoffs? In a league that has taken atleast 12 and now 16 teams in its playoffs.... how often have the seahawks taken those spots? Meanwhile the mlb was a 4 team playoff, bumped up to 8 and is now 10. And those on here who certainly stay with the seahawks during the lean years are now ready to dismiss the mariners to the sports well?

We are in the midst of a bad decade for the mariners. The seahawks have had theirs (remeber the 90s?) I do and stayed with the hawks (and ms) then and will now. Hell if you're a seattle sports fan this is part of the "experience"
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Even in the 90's the Seahawks made it to the playoffs.

sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• He's kind of right, The Hawks have made the playoffs 10 times, 11 if they make it this season, and a part of being a Seattle fan is being able to claim that we have the greatest teams with losing records in every sport.

I'll just admit to being still pissed about the anti-arena/Sonics sentiment that the Mariners FO has taken the position of, the fact that I usually drop out of watching baseball a month doesn't help. I'm not a big fan and I'll gladly admit to being a fair weather fan when it does come to the Mariners, so judge me as you see fit. There was only two teams I can actually say I'm a die hard, or ride or die fan of and that's the Seahawks and was with the Sonics.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I want the current M's ownership and GM to die in a fire, but I do not want to lose another team I've cheered for since I was a little kid, even if it meant getting the Sonics back. So no.
    Vpk0718
    NET Rookie

• pinksheets wrote:So the alternative is just assume the Mariners are a dead franchise that will never ever compete again?

I'm sorry, the Mariners have done plenty to lose themselves the benefit of the doubt and even more to raise the ire of fans, but lately the anti-M's stuff has gone from hyperbole to hysteria. Disliking the current owners is one thing, but to write off the franchise entirely? And why do we have to get so damn divisive with our teams and even those local teams' fans? This isn't an either/or and this thread presents a bizarre hypothetical that is purely set to stoke the fire. I love the Seahawks, I love the Sonics, and I love the Mariners. Do the Mariners suck? Yeah, but that doesn't mean we should even start talking about indifference towards the idea of losing them. That type of attitude has presented itself before, we saw it with certain groups the first time they almost left, when the Hawks almost left, and even when the Sonics DID leave. Don't be a part of that crowd.

It's fun to dismiss everything the M's do and to write off everyone who says "they're going to be good in a couple years", but that's just silly. There is a lot to be excited about within the M's organization. Do the owners and the execs suck? Yeah, but we've been pumped about Seattle teams before with awful ownership, that's almost a Seattle tradition. Unless you're going to be a giant payroll team, which the M's will likely never be even with a new owner, it takes a good long while to build a team.

I admire your enthusiasm even though I don't share it anymore. I had been going to games since '77, from the last few years of the kingdome to the first 6 years or so of safeco I went to 30 games a year on average. I bought tons of mariners gear during hat stretch and would take bi-monthly tours of safeco field, I loved the place that much.

This ownership and upper front office's (see Howard and Chuck) unwillingness to put a winning product on the field or take the necessary steps to do so is why I won't spend another red cent on the Mariners until the 2 headed beast known as Chowie is gone.

There is no reason that Lincoln and Armstrong should still have a job. If you or I failed as bad as the above 2 mentioned we would have been fired years ago.

A rebuilding process should NEVER take 10 years, especially for a baseball team that plays In a league WITHOUT a salary cap.

I'm sorry but all of he scorn aimed at the mariners org is earned and well deserved and all of the mariners "problems" are "self inflicted!

The folks I feel bad are the ones inthe M's org that have to try and sell this crap product to businesses and individual fans.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• I don't have a ton of enthusiasm for the Ms, to be clear. I think the farm system has been drastically improved and we've got a few prospects to be really excited about. I don't buy into the automatic assumption of the worst about any M's move, and what I really don't like is the display of apathy towards even the hypothetical of losing the team. I don't think that's healthy at anytime, and Seattle sports fans are or should be better than that type of attitude, especially with what we've been through with teams leaving or threatening to leave.

I mean, I still enjoy going to M's games here and there, and I really enjoy going to sit in the King's Court. I don't like Howard, Chuck, or the ownership at all, but I do really like some of our players and prospects, that's all, and with the potential that this team could be sold in the next couple of years, things could change pretty quickly.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• i would trade the mariners for a minor league hockey team right now
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

• Would trade the Mariners for a baseball team.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• Uffda wrote:Would trade the Mariners for a baseball team.

And that should about do it, folks! Thanks for coming out!

:lol:
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information