Packers just gifted a game. Let's hear their fans and media

SharkHawk

Reaction score
It's now time for you to shut up about the Seattle game. You were flat out GIVEN that game against Chicago. I hate both teams, and have never seen such one-sided reffing since XL. The Packers were flat out given that with 3 offensive pass interference calls, and totally ignoring at least 4 defensive PI's that would have changed the entire game, and cost Chicago at least 14 points.

The Pack just got a freebie, so it all balances out for them. The media needs to step up and apologize and admit what happened today was a joke and even worse than the game in Seattle because it was a totally one-sided affair by the "real refs". Green Bay was just gifted a division title. Let's hear all the mediots speak up. I bet we don't hear a peep about how the Bears just had a game stolen from them. Ridiculous beyond ridiculous. Bring back the replacement refs. Seriously.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Yep. Refs once again go for the money team. NFL is just as fixed as wrestling.

hawksfanohio

Reaction score
They have been gifted a lot this year but this was atrocious. Wow even aikman was calling bullshit on a lot of the penalties. They arejust trying to make sure that green bay stays one win ahead of Seattle so they d on'havet to play there again and get their ass stomped.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
sturg78":3jqj98wd said:
What happened?

They took a TD away from Chicago on a D-Jack style offensive pass interference call. Chicago on their next possession completed a long pass to put them in FG/TD range, again, random offensive PI. Then it happened another time.

Then Chicago's last chance really and they are driving well and a long bomb deep that would have again put them in scoring range and the guy on the Packers is literally dangling on the guy's shirt and shoves him, and no call. It was again the same receiver involved in every play.

It was just godawful. Watch the game if you get replays via Directv or on the shortcuts stuff and just watch the 4th quarter alone. It was atrocious to say the least. Packers got away with everything and when it seemed like Chicago was ready to take over a mysterious single flag would come flying. These weren't multiple flag fouls as you usually see. It was like one sidejudge was determining the game.

sturg78

Reaction score
Oh well, I hope this sets up a soul crushing loss to Min and AP on his way to the record in week 17. Back into playoffs, get a record dropped on you, lose 2nd seed.

NWCheeseHead

Reaction score
Eh, honestly me and a buddy of mine, that's a Bears fan, were talking about Jaffrey and those PI calls. For one; prior to the reffs going off on him there was a play where he was all over Sam Shield's face mask even pushing him down to the turf as the ball was being thrown his way and there was no call at all. Except for the last PI (4th I think it was) they were all warranted though the last two were a bit nit-picky.

Moreover Jaffrey has had issues with loosing his cool on the field both in college and the pro's to the point that Da Bears have had to take him aside and tell him that he needs to play smarter when he's in.

Sorry about replying about a week late, but I recently joined and was just scrolling through the forums. Oh, and before I launch a spat about week 3 I'd just like to say that I personally never blamed the Seahawks for winning. Stuff happens. It was more on the Packers for letting the game come to the point where that play decided the game, imo.

Twisted

Reaction score
NWCheeseHead":2i18szqa said:
Eh, honestly me and a buddy of mine, that's a Bears fan, were talking about Jaffrey and those PI calls. For one; prior to the reffs going off on him there was a play where he was all over Sam Shield's face mask even pushing him down to the turf as the ball was being thrown his way and there was no call at all. Except for the last PI (4th I think it was) they were all warranted though the last two were a bit nit-picky.

um we all saw that play, it wasn't even warranted, I've seen it called but I don't think anything like that should ever be called, once a receiver makes a move towards your body its fair play

apparently the NFL only changed the rules so officials could have leverage where they see fit

go back to the old school rules, no contact PERIOD for either side, those rules just muddy the rules just like the head shots and the rest, clean up the rules you clean up the game

but then theres always the officials that just happens to miss the contact, just like the old days

why the league was trying to get performance based scheduling, but those monday night dolts ruined all that, I suppose they have an inside line on which team is going to win?

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
NWCheeseHead":24vnkru9 said:

Moreover Jaffrey has had issues with loosing his cool on the field both in college and the pro's to the point that Da Bears have had to take him aside and tell him that he needs to play smarter when he's in.

Sorry about replying about a week late, but I recently joined and was just scrolling through the forums. Oh, and before I launch a spat about week 3 I'd just like to say that I personally never blamed the Seahawks for winning. Stuff happens. It was more on the Packers for letting the game come to the point where that play decided the game, imo.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how having a "history of losing his cool" should have any impact on 3 horrendous calls and one criminal non-call. It was a poorly officiated game. So if he did lose his cool and push a guy, then he should have gotten a 15 yarder, not a make up call and reversal of a TD. That to me just seems silly. Going by that logic, then the Packers fans have zero reason to gripe about anything, because there was a phantom PI on Kam Chancellor that led to your TD that gave you the lead in the first place. Otherwise it was victory formation, game over, Seahawks win. So the refs were doing their job by giving Golden Tate a free push off and the rest of your fans (not you, I see where you are on the Hawks/Packers matchup) say "Well, that was a just result, because there was a phantom PI call on Chancellor that gave us a TD. So it is only right that the Seahawks get a TD in response. Nice move by the refs. They did the right thing, even if we still contend the dual possession was wrong (which it wasn't... 2 feet on the ground, possession with one hand is just as good as two... your guy was in the air and hadn't established possession as you can NOT while in mid-air... and to take it a step further... why didn't he just knock it out of bounds?!!!!).

NWCheeseHead

Reaction score
SharkHawk":fbk16xnq said:
Twisted":fbk16xnq said:
NWCheeseHead":fbk16xnq said:

um we all saw that play, it wasn't even warranted, I've seen it called but I don't think anything like that should ever be called, once a receiver makes a move towards your body its fair play

apparently the NFL only changed the rules so officials could have leverage where they see fit

go back to the old school rules, no contact PERIOD for either side, those rules just muddy the rules just like the head shots and the rest, clean up the rules you clean up the game

but then theres always the officials that just happens to miss the contact, just like the old days

why the league was trying to get performance based scheduling, but those monday night dolts ruined all that, I suppose they have an inside line on which team is going to win?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how having a "history of losing his cool" should have any impact on 3 horrendous calls and one criminal non-call. It was a poorly officiated game. So if he did lose his cool and push a guy, then he should have gotten a 15 yarder, not a make up call and reversal of a TD. That to me just seems silly. Going by that logic, then the Packers fans have zero reason to gripe about anything, because there was a phantom PI on Kam Chancellor that led to your TD that gave you the lead in the first place. Otherwise it was victory formation, game over, Seahawks win. So the refs were doing their job by giving Golden Tate a free push off and the rest of your fans (not you, I see where you are on the Hawks/Packers matchup) say "Well, that was a just result, because there was a phantom PI call on Chancellor that gave us a TD. So it is only right that the Seahawks get a TD in response. Nice move by the refs. They did the right thing, even if we still contend the dual possession was wrong (which it wasn't... 2 feet on the ground, possession with one hand is just as good as two... your guy was in the air and hadn't established possession as you can NOT while in mid-air... and to take it a step further... why didn't he just knock it out of bounds?!!!!).

-Twisted: I totally agree, I honestly think if the NFL is going to allow 'some' contact that they should just outright abolish the Lynn Swann rule entirely. OR if they don't want contact then they need to clarify that, and rid themselves of the current rule because, as you alluded to, it just muddles the play on the field and leaves the fans going "WTF!". The NFL needs to stop trying to have it's cake and eat pie too. And yeah the NFL seasons have had that scripted feel to them, at times, ever since good ol' Goodell took over really.

I don't know how you can say that grabbing a hand-full of face mask and pushing a DB down to the truf doesn't warrant a PI call under the current rules, but as the interpretation of the rules seems to be entirely subjective on the reffs part I guess this is a point to agree to disagree on.

-SharkHawk: I also agree that previous actions shouldn't color one's interpretation of current actions, but none the less it is usually a factor. Just look at how reffs call James Harrison and Suh for example. I'm not trying to make a case saying that they always getting picked on, but that they are given less leeway when it comes to judgement calls. Plus he's a rookie so they generally get less leeway anyways when it comes to those situations. And yeah it was a poorly officiated game on both sides I think.

As for why, "not knock the ball out of bounds?", I remember listening to FoxSports Radio a couple of day's after the game and Amy Van Dyken was interviewing both Shields and Tate separately, by phone, on the program and she asked Shields that very same question. Shields responded by saying that he was thinking about how the Lions won the game against the Titans on that Sunday with Titus Young Jr scoping up a Hail Mary pass that was batted down in the end zone so to try and prevent that situation he went for the INT instead. (Eh, hindsight is 20/20 after all) I can't offer up a better explanation than that really. Personally I think he was being stat hungry in going for the INT, but that has defined the Packers secondary for the last few years really. With the exception of Woodson (current roster) they are all wildly inconsistent, and talk way too much for how poor they play most of the time.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
He could have tipped it straight backwards. They were on the backline of the endzone. He didn't need to knock it down at all. A simple hook shot scoop and it hits the back wall.

NWCheeseHead

Reaction score
SharkHawk":26gv5sbb said:
He could have tipped it straight backwards. They were on the backline of the endzone. He didn't need to knock it down at all. A simple hook shot scoop and it hits the back wall.

Honestly, it was week 3, I couldn't care less about "coulda, woulda, shoulda" about that game. It was 3 months ago.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NWCheeseHead":m9eyben4 said:
I don't know how you can say that grabbing a hand-full of face mask and pushing a DB down to the truf doesn't warrant a PI call under the current rules, but as the interpretation of the rules seems to be entirely subjective on the reffs part I guess this is a point to agree to disagree on.

There are a number of "unwritten rules" that refs abide by in order to speed up the game, and one is that PI's are never called on Hail Mary's. Besides, a Seahawks receiver got pushed to the ground on that play as well. Hail Mary's are kinda free-for-alls.

NWCheeseHead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":og54tasj said:
NWCheeseHead":og54tasj said:

There are a number of "unwritten rules" that refs abide by in order to speed up the game, and one is that PI's are never called on Hail Mary's. Besides, a Seahawks receiver got pushed to the ground on that play as well. Hail Mary's are kinda free-for-alls.

Um, wrong topic man. I was talking about the route Alshaun Jeffrey ran in the 3rd quarter last week prior to being flagged 3 times for PI. I don't know, I thought based on the OP this was a topic about the week 15 Packers/ Bears game. Not week 3 Packers/ Seahawks.

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
This just shows how bad the "real" refs are. They call penalties based on reputation. Bring back the replacements, who called it based on what they saw. They might not have gotten it right 100% of the time, but neither to the "big boys". So bring back those who don't have any preconceived notions going in. I'd rather the refs weren't aware of the players histories, fines accrued, etc. I want them walking in clear of mind and calling a fair game.

They are too much like the NBA refs now. When you know every refs name, it's a bad sign. The best umpires in baseball are the ones you never heard of. But there is always the guy that everybody knows, because he sucks. I think Hochuli and Mike Carey are starting to fall into that category. Only completely deathly serious "I do nothing else" NFL fans should know a refs name and history more than the players on their own team.

I think the refs stink and the NFL should have ridden out the storm and let the refs crumble. It would have happened had that call gone the other way. That's my firm belief and I stand by it. The NFL caved due to the "outrage" of Packers fans. The death threats must embarrass anybody who associates themselves with the Packers. I'd be mortified. I don't recall anything of the sort happening with Leavy. We all just thought he was an assclown that didn't know what he was doing or was a dirty prick. I don't recall any stories of death threats, yet the man who reffed that game in what, week 3 is still getting threats from the Packer faithful. I've spent a lot of time in Green Bay and though that it was one of the greatest places on earth, but my view on the folks have turned a bit.

Latest posts