Fieldgulls breaks down the Pistol formation...

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

  • We do a good job of hiding our RB behind our FB. I think we could mix it up and hide Russ behind MRob. :)

    I don't know why they have never used Robinson for a direct snap or a potential throw. The guy has a great arm (well, at least he did in college) and he threw very well on the move. Split RW out wide and watch SF crap their pants as our FB takes the snap and rolls then throws. It would be pretty fun to watch the misdirection that could take place. It might even force them into burning a timeout due to the confusion of rolling out a formation they hadn't seen from us before and aren't sure how to manage.
    Image
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    User avatar
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3883
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


  • The Seahawks ran a formation called the "pistol" in the victory over the Buffalo Bills. You may have heard of this before because the 49ers run it. Well, it looks like we copied them! :mrgreen: Wilson does everything, what can I say?

    The Pistol was pioneered by Nevada's Chris Ault in 2005, and was used extensively and successfully with Kaepernick in his career there. Now, of course, the 49ers run the Pistol looks, and the frequency of those looks has jumped up quite a bit over the past few games. It's almost a certainty that Seattle will have to deal with it on Sunday. Making the Pistol formation even more of a relevant topic for Seattle fans this week was that for the first time this season, I think, (probably ever, I'd guess), Seattle ran a couple of plays out of the formation as well.


    Pretty cool. Definitely something to watch for in the 49er game. Remember folks, you notice the pistol by the QB seemingly in shotgun formation, but instead of the average 6-7 yards back he is about 4 yards back with the RB directly behind him.
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5220
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • I like it, it looks like something Bill Bilicheck and New England would run.
    User avatar
    Axx
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2539
    Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:37 pm


  • SharkHawk wrote:We do a good job of hiding our RB behind our FB. I think we could mix it up and hide Russ behind MRob. :)

    I don't know why they have never used Robinson for a direct snap or a potential throw. The guy has a great arm (well, at least he did in college) and he threw very well on the move. Split RW out wide and watch SF crap their pants as our FB takes the snap and rolls then throws. It would be pretty fun to watch the misdirection that could take place. It might even force them into burning a timeout due to the confusion of rolling out a formation they hadn't seen from us before and aren't sure how to manage.



    That would be incredible. Touchdown pass from Mike Robinson to Russel Wilson.
    Image
    User avatar
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 454
    Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm
    Location: Mountain Home, Idaho


  • The 49ers use much more variety and multiplicity in their Pistol looks, often times giving Kaepernick three or four options - to hand off, throw, or run it himself. They do read-option looks, triple-option looks, and it's going to be a challenge for Seattle to defend them. As ESPN's Liz Mathews pointed out on twitter, the 49ers have used pistol 33 times over their last two games, compared to only 30 times the first 12 games of season.


    It surprises me that this thread and described trend has attracted so little attention on this message board going into this Sunday night. :hmmmm: I wonder what that says about us?
    User avatar
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 3372
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm


  • It is a effective play, but a dangerous one as it puts the qb in a much more precarious position than other formations including the RZ.
    precarious in that the qb is a lot close to the LOS, and if a blitzer makes it through in time.. lites out, the qb has no time to scramble.
    Russ could do it very effectively, but you know its just a numbers game until Russ gets hurt. Think RG3
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 254
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am



  • The problem is that RW us short so you can see Lyncg behind him....

    :)

    Great read thanks for posting
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3234
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Did you notice that there were quite a few bad snaps in that formation. RW made some nice plays handling the snaps.
    User avatar
    nepahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:34 pm
    Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania


  • Bobblehead wrote:It is a effective play, but a dangerous one as it puts the qb in a much more precarious position than other formations including the RZ.
    precarious in that the qb is a lot close to the LOS, and if a blitzer makes it through in time.. lites out, the qb has no time to scramble.
    Russ could do it very effectively, but you know its just a numbers game until Russ gets hurt. Think RG3


    ??? QB is in shotgun when in the pistol. Guess I don't understand your comment on him being closer to the LOS. The pistol is more about how the RB lines up compared to other "shotgun" formations....in pistol the RB is directly behind the QB (who is in shotgun).

    In most general terms, the Pistol is a truncated version of the "Shotgun" formation, but in its case, the quarterback is only about four-and-a-half yards behind center/line of scrimmage, instead of the customary seven or eight yards in a shotgun look. Further, in this look, the running back is directly behind the quarterback, instead of being offset, right next to him as you'd see in Shotgun.
    Last edited by ImTheScientist on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2491
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • nepahawk wrote:Did you notice that there were quite a few bad snaps in that formation. RW made some nice plays handling the snaps.


    :common069: They only ran pistol twice in buffalo.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2491
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    nepahawk wrote:Did you notice that there were quite a few bad snaps in that formation. RW made some nice plays handling the snaps.


    :common069: They only ran pistol twice in buffalo.


    I believe it was RW first touchdown run, that was run in that formation, that the snap was off and almost caused a collision with Lynch in the backfield. IIRC

    There were other bad snaps throughout the game, maybe they weren't all in the pistol. My bad if they weren't.

    Just rewatched that play, they were in shotgun. I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by nepahawk on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
    User avatar
    nepahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:34 pm
    Location: Northeastern Pennsylvania


  • Did Montana post this before me?
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5220
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • Jville wrote:
    The 49ers use much more variety and multiplicity in their Pistol looks, often times giving Kaepernick three or four options - to hand off, throw, or run it himself. They do read-option looks, triple-option looks, and it's going to be a challenge for Seattle to defend them. As ESPN's Liz Mathews pointed out on twitter, the 49ers have used pistol 33 times over their last two games, compared to only 30 times the first 12 games of season.


    It surprises me that this thread and described trend has attracted so little attention on this message board going into this Sunday night. :hmmmm: I wonder what that says about us?


    Well, anybody who watches college football has seen an awful lot of the pistol the past few years from multiple programs. It's not exactly new and ground breaking stuff. Although it is new to the NFL.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18527
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    The 49ers use much more variety and multiplicity in their Pistol looks, often times giving Kaepernick three or four options - to hand off, throw, or run it himself. They do read-option looks, triple-option looks, and it's going to be a challenge for Seattle to defend them. As ESPN's Liz Mathews pointed out on twitter, the 49ers have used pistol 33 times over their last two games, compared to only 30 times the first 12 games of season.


    It surprises me that this thread and described trend has attracted so little attention on this message board going into this Sunday night. :hmmmm: I wonder what that says about us?


    Well, anybody who watches college football has seen an awful lot of the pistol the past few years. It's not exactly new and ground breaking stuff. Although it is new to the NFL.



    Thanks for merging the threads J. Didn't see Montana's, it must have been deeply buried.
    User avatar
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5220
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:It is a effective play, but a dangerous one as it puts the qb in a much more precarious position than other formations including the RZ.
    precarious in that the qb is a lot close to the LOS, and if a blitzer makes it through in time.. lites out, the qb has no time to scramble.
    Russ could do it very effectively, but you know its just a numbers game until Russ gets hurt. Think RG3


    ??? QB is in shotgun when in the pistol. Guess I don't understand your comment on him being closer to the LOS. The pistol is more about how the RB lines up compared to other "shotgun" formations....in pistol the RB is directly behind the QB (who is in shotgun).

    In most general terms, the Pistol is a truncated version of the "Shotgun" formation, but in its case, the quarterback is only about four-and-a-half yards behind center/line of scrimmage, instead of the customary seven or eight yards in a shotgun look. Further, in this look, the running back is directly behind the quarterback, instead of being offset, right next to him as you'd see in Shotgun.



    No.. qb is not in shotgun.. (sure qb is not right under center, but not as far back as a typical shotgun formation)
    The QB is only maybe a couple of yards off the LOS.. Shot gun you are typically further back.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 254
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am




It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:34 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information