Pressure is on the Seahawks in this game

Carhanu21

Reaction score
Clearly, this game is important for both teams. The Seahawks need this game just to get into the playoffs. The Niners need it to secure the second seed in the playoffs and get the first round bye.

However, I think the Seahawks have more pressure because:

1. Obviously they are in more survival mode right now since they still havent clinched a playoff spot yet.

2. The Niners already spent alot of their mental and emotional capital last week in New England. Since SF is already in the playoffs, this game won't feel as big as it should ( they SHOULD view it as a big game cuz it is. But I'm worried they wont. I guarantee you Niner fans are pumped up about this game)

3. Pete Carroll is desperate and under the microscope because he has been owned by Harbaugh for such a long time. If he keeps losing to Jim, people will start asking Pete questions like "what's your deal?" (in a very mocking, derogatory way that might get into his head).

4. For this specific game, I think most of the media is picking the Seahawks to win this based on home field advantage and based on the fact that the Seahawks blew out the Tards and the Bills. Usually, the favored team feels more pressure to perform. Just human nature.

Whether or not the increased pressure helps or hurts the Seahawks, I dont know. Some people perform at a higher level when under more pressure. Russell Wilson appears to have that quality in him, kinda like Montana. Kaepernick has been pretty impressive in big games as well but the sample size is too small to really know how good he is. Should be an exciting game.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
We don't "need this game just to get in the playoffs". We can still get in by beating St. Louis next week, or even if Minnesota, Washington and Chicago all lose this week no matter what happens with our game.

1. Not really. See above.

2. Totally disagree - it's the Niners and Seahawks, it will feel big no matter what.

3. Under whose microscope...yours? I'm not sure we care about the Harbaugh "ownership" as much as you'd like to think. We want to make it to the playoffs, and we are on track to - in year 3 of a four year rebuild. We are only going to get better, and more dangerous.

4. I think you are overstating the "pressure" angle to make you feel better about the Niners chances. We did fine with the pressure in last minute wins against the Patriots and Bears. The pressure thing is nullified by playing at home, where we are unbeaten. And we ALL know with Russell Wilson in place last season instead of Tarvaris Jackson, we would have beat the Niners on our turf in the game last December.

Speaking of pressure....your boy Kaepernick gets his first taste of a raucous C Link and a defense that plays really, really well at home. His tendency to fumble may be a huge problem.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I was debating on a fantastic rebuttal like Greg's, but since he covered that aspect I am just go ahead and call the op a load of crap meant to offer a preemptive excuse on a sf loss.

amill87

Reaction score
Yeah Greg pretty much nailed it.

About the Harbaugh owning Pete thing, I think the players, fans, and Harbaugh do care about that. How's it going to get into his head? What's he gonna do make bad in game decisions because he got hormonal? He does that already. In no way is Pete desperate. He is doing some really good things here, this isn't college where you get fired because you can't beat your rival. All that matters in the end is a Super Bowl ring, who you beat while doing it actually means little.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Does the OP really think Harbaugh has this approach? Not a chance. I wish he did, but it's personal when he goes against Pete.

Jville

Reaction score
3. Pete Carroll is desperate and under the microscope because he has been owned by Harbaugh for such a long time. If he keeps losing to Jim, people will start asking Pete questions like "what's your deal?" (in a very mocking, derogatory way that might get into his head).

Dark troubled individuals have attempted to demonize Pete Carroll for some time now with no results.

The outcome of any game will have zero effect on you dark demonizers. Your just going have to live with yourselves. Because ....... no matter where you go ...... there you are.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cannot believe I, and the clearly trolling OP, forgot that the Niners need to win out and have Green Bay lose 1 so they get a bye.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawks are playing with house money, they were not suppose to be here with a rookie QB at the helm, 49ers were selected early and are trying to live up to the hype. Additionally were at home with all our comforts and the 12th man. With Christmas on the horizon who do you think will have their heads in the game more?

49ers situation with Kaep is self imposed, he is trying to keep his job so more pressure is on him, if he collapses then Smith will be brought in, Harbaugh has shown he is not about his players as much as he is about pushing their buttons.