Wilson - the little things....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wilson - the little things....
Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:22 pm
  • I'm re-watching the Bills game. On the very first play from scrimmage (when he was sacked), at the last second Wilson shifted the ball from his right hand to his left and turned his body just enough to shield himself from the impact and prevent a possible fumble. That's incredibly instinctive, and I also would bet that's one of the things he has focused on improving ever since the Jets game when he had a mild case of the fumbles.

He is really amazing, and getting better and better in the basics. I know this is a "small" thing in the grand scheme of things, but it's impressive seeing a rookie QB correct himself and get better every week, in many facets of the game.

Here is the frame by frame - pics I took of the TV shot:

@SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: Wilson - the little things....
Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:26 pm
  • Protecting a ball is never a small thing to me. He's going to go down in history, or atleast be in the very top category of least turnovers, over the course of his career because he just flat out takes care of the ball.

The pics are really cool, good post and thanks for sharing
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:28 pm
  • Agreed - just looking for the "other than obvious" stuff like TDs, lack of INTs, etc. that he is doing.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm
  • very interesting post. Im so happy hah
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:48 pm
  • I live in NC and have followed Wilson since his college days at NC State.
    Russell Wilson went on a streak of 380 consecutive passes without interception at NC State in the ACC. He faced teams like Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, ... etc.
    During his college career at Wisconsin, he had 4 INTs in 310 pass attempts total.
    Wilson doesn't turn the ball over. That's one thing about him. He is not a big risk taker and won't go for the spectacular play.
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 pm
  • ...and yet he still makes spectacular plays...
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:14 pm
  • Good stuff.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:29 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:...and yet he still makes spectacular plays...

Unlike Tjack ;)
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:39 pm
  • either he did this to protect the ball from the sack or he did it because he was going to try to take off and avoid the sack - as a "RB" he needed to shift it

Love RW but while the speed of shifting the ball may alter between players all scrambling qb's needs to be on top of tucking the ball away
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 pm
  • joeseahawks wrote:I live in NC and have followed Wilson since his college days at NC State.
    Russell Wilson went on a streak of 380 consecutive passes without interception at NC State in the ACC. He faced teams like Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, ... etc.
    During his college career at Wisconsin, he had 4 INTs in 310 pass attempts total.
    Wilson doesn't turn the ball over. That's one thing about him. He is not a big risk taker and won't go for the spectacular play.

Correct me if im wrong and I'm not a stat person but 380 consecutive passes without an INT seems incredibly amazing.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:
    joeseahawks wrote:I live in NC and have followed Wilson since his college days at NC State.

Correct me if im wrong and I'm not a stat person but 380 consecutive passes without an INT seems incredibly amazing.

I think that might be true. :th2thumbs:
    I don't know why I bother... no one cares what I think.
    zhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:20 am
  • There are a lot of NFL teams who are questioning the biases of their scouts regarding the height issue that was RW's biggest holdback in terms of his draft status. We've got a good one here who plays far beyond his experience level, his understanding of his role is exceptional and the execution of it elite.

I have little doubt Wilson will win OROY as the bias towards RG3 or Luck is huge, but he seriously deserves to be in the conversation. The team has clearly found their QBOTF, he's something else right now. Thank you John Schneider!
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:56 am
  • mikeak wrote:either he did this to protect the ball from the sack or he did it because he was going to try to take off and avoid the sack - as a "RB" he needed to shift it

Love RW but while the speed of shifting the ball may alter between players all scrambling qb's needs to be on top of tucking the ball away

No...he was protecting the ball. There wasn't time to even think about running it - the LB game up the gut and around blockers and Wilson had less than a second to respond.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 am
  • Good post FnG!RW is amazing and everybody is catching the RW fever,got so many people that run into me gushing over him.Lions fans,Eagles fans Giants fans all of them when they see me got alot of love for RW and the Hawks.
    Wolf grey all day every day.
    VHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:05 am
  • The play that got my attention, when I was re-watching the game, was in the late third or early 4th, when Wilson dropped back, the LDE came across nearly untouched, Wilson backpeddled some, to create some space, juked the DE a few times left and right, all the while keeping his eyes downfield, then escaped the DE, tucked the ball, ran upfield, slanted left and avoided an oncoming Mario Williams with ease and wound up gaining 10+ yards with relative ease. It was his utter calm when under pressure form the DE and how he kept his eyes downfield while keeping the DE in his peripheral vision to make the moves to avoid the sack. Wow.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information