Game plan for Kaepernick: Force him out of the pocket?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Interesting article at the NFC West blog

Some Wilson love to start it all off :mrgreen:

Colin Cowherd's latest conversation with NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell closes with Cowherd asking Cosell whether Seattle's Russell Wilson is the real deal.

"Well, the film tells you that he is a pretty good player," Cosell replied.

The response sounded measured, but that tends to be Cosell's style. He doesn't have a hyperbolic mode.

"What I really like about him, he is very decisive, which is why he can make pocket throws because he does not allow the rush to get to him," Cosell said of Wilson. "And when the rush does get to him, his movement is very defined. He is not frenetic. He is not chaotic. He moves for a reason. He knows where everybody is and he can throw the ball extremely well on the run at the intermediate and deeper levels."

But then we go back to a stat that interests me, that sadly involves QBR. I don't believe QBR is perfect, but it gets moderately close, and the discrepancy in numbers here cannot be ignored.

Colin Kaepernick has a 83.0 QBR while inside the pocket. Pretty darn good, right? Force him outside the pocket, that number drops like a rock to 15.6. Wilson, for comparison, is much more balanced, with a 77.0 inside the pocket, and a 62.5 outside.

Even though QBR is a flawed stat, that is a big discrepancy. Just thought it should be noted.

Sac

Reaction score
Yes, lets get interior pressure with our d line that can't collapse a pocket and just put Jones on IR. That will flush Kaep out...

redhawk253

Reaction score
sac.. he's not saying that is what we're going to do.. he's saying that is what teams need to attempt to do with kaep.. he's completely right.. going from 70 to 15 is a HUGE discrepancy.. and we need to throw whatever stunts we can at him to flush him outside the pocket in that case.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Don't we want to keep him in the pocket.. and just sack him there so we don't give him anywhere to run?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.

I know the numbers don't bear this out right now...

...but you don't want him running out of the pocket either. He is one of the very few QBs who can run to his left and throw across his body accurately. He did it ALOT in college. He's been off by just inches on a few TD passes this year and has had a few long completions called back on holding penalties. Its really just too small a sample size to make a judgement yet...at least in my opinion.

As of right now though, the above would be correct in that he has not, as yet, made people pay for letting him get out of the pocket.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Marvin49":2rd2sria said:
Just my 2 cents.

...but you don't want him running out of the pocket either. He is one of the very few QBs who can run to his left and throw across his body accurately. He did it ALOT in college. He's been off by just inches on a few TD passes this year and has had a few long completions called back on holding penalties. Its really just too small a sample size to make a judgement yet...at least in my opinion.

As of right now though, the above would be correct in that he has not, as yet, made people pay for letting him get out of the pocket.

Yeah, to me it comes down to I would not want him in the pocket, and the numbers say I definitely want him out of the pocket. He seems to ball while in the pocket, and looks like John Skelton while outside of the pocket.

Then again, stats can lie, so.....? :3-1:

NornIron

Reaction score
I think the seahawk linebackers have tended to over commit in the past and while it might be good to force Kaepernick out of the pocket because his passing is poor, his running ability is far from poor so the outside backers need to be careful. I read several articles all with differing views on how to turn Kaepernick into a weakness for the 49ers, but that article seems to show a lot. I had ago at dissecting the matchup in a blog I started but being from Northern Ireland, there isn't a massive amount of coverage so i hope its accurate! http://northernirelandnflfan.wordpress. ... all-short/

Do you think there will be much blitzing or do you think the seahawks will sit back and let the defensive line do their best?

mikeak

Reaction score
hawksfan515":16z5zdkq said:
SacHawk2.0":16z5zdkq said:
I was doing my Montana impression

if only .net had a thumb up button. lol

And Bobblehead, what would you rather have, a sack or a pick?

Both are great results though.

Can I pick a sack with an ensuing fumble recovery? :D

The Radish

Reaction score
I think this comes under the header "be careful what you wish for". K is a damned fine running QB also.

:les:

Twisted

Reaction score
meh, let him throw and intercept it, anyone can recover a fummel...

this should be a good one...

zhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2dlw2xmr said:
Just my 2 cents.

rw is one of those

kearly

Reaction score
Something to remember is that a QB throwing outside the pocket is usually one that is facing or having just escaped imminent pressure. Kaepernick is a mechanical QB- meaning that if everything goes to plan he's effective, but when things go to hell he tends to shut down mentally. That probably explains the gap in his numbers. Kaepernick has padded his stats on a few big plays that went according to plan in every game.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Disrupt the rhythm, delayed blitz, complex defense packages for a new QB is hard to understand. He will get better over time as he has the physical tools, the only way you can beat him is to get into his head. If he gets picked or sacked, if the game is too fast for him and we take away his reads or confuse him enough, we should be good. If we get to be ahead, that will also add pressure to pass the ball more, which is where you try to force it rather than the game come to you. I am sure he will be well coached, but until you face and do certain things, it does not come to you naturally. And of course 12th man noise. Don't let him get to a quick hot start and get ahead, then we make things easy for their defense and his future plays..run scramble..run..toss the ball, screen pass..But if we score by 2 points we can definitely contain him. I hope the Seahawks watched the Rams tape on how they handled him for the most part.

amill87

Reaction score
kearly":1xwoxfgu said:
Something to remember is that a QB throwing outside the pocket is usually one that is facing or having just escaped imminent pressure. Kaepernick is a mechanical QB- meaning that if everything goes to plan he's effective, but when things go to hell he tends to shut down mentally. That probably explains the gap in his numbers. Kaepernick has padded his stats on a few big plays that went according to plan in every game.

First, I find myself agreeing with you way too often nowadays, it must be the power of Wilson.

Second, this is pretty much my observation as well. Kaep lives off the big play. I would be very curious to see if anyone can find a stat on drives of 80 or more yards that Kaep has completed without a big play.

I already hear the argument that a big play counts for just as many points as a sustained time consuming drive but the flaw in big plays is they are harder to come by. 90% of the time when a big play happens it is because a player(s) made a mistake. While possible, it is more difficult to make another player make a mistake and create that opening.

This is ultimately why I think Harbaugh made his first mistake. Alex Smith, while not flashy, should a consistent ability to sustain drives. Kaep has much more "wow" ability but I think he will struggle with consistency.