2012 vs 2005

Which season had you more pumped at Wk 16?

Votes: 53 49.1%

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Other (if there was another feel free to post it)

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":u0wr6or9 said:
2005 was a magic carpet ride. The story of this season has yet to be written but it has potential.

I'm not sure If I love the implication of your new avatar, or if I wonder why you had to have him in a practice jersey :)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
In 2005, during that winning streak, I believed the Hawks were unbeatable.

That's why the SB hurt so bad. I had forgotten that it was even possible for that team to lose (the GB game in Week 17 didnt count since the starters sat out most of it).

I was more amped in 2005 because of that. This team still makes me nervous sometimes, even after the last 2 weeks. I'm excited, but not nearly as confident. In 2005 I had both.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
This is a really good question but I have to go with 2012 because in 2005 we had the #1 seed but something to remember that the NFC was very weak that year and This year Seahawks are doing things not even is fans could thought possible!

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
Aros":3mhd9npm said:
2005 was a magic carpet ride. The story of this season has yet to be written but it has potential.

i think i like this answer the best

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
2005. First time the Seahawks simply dominated. As Lou Gramm used to sing, Feels like the first time! The thing I remember most about 2005 were the 80 yard drives for TDs which seemed to be almost automatic.

Got to say this year has been incredible, save for a couple of meltdowns against inferior opponents. The future looks bright. :0190l:

Rainger

Reaction score
Although I was stoked for 2005 I chose this season because.

I love who we have playing on the team and our upside. 2005 always felt like smoke and mirrors. Now I will say I was jack pumped then but the team felt soft. It felt lucky and the players were not long time future players on the team.

So I voted that this team looks more sustainable and more long term so that gets the nod in the vote as a team I am more excited about.

PS we were all excited at week 16 but we are all now looking back knowing we got to the SB. At week 16 we did not know that and after all the years of frustration were not confident we would make the SB. Yea I know a bunch of people will jump out and say they knew it but the reality is at week 16 I think we still were worried and had questions about the D and the team.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Wow, not even in the playoffs yet and we are comparing this year to the greatest season in Seahawks history?

At this point in 2005 we had won 10 in a row, Peyton Manning and the Colts were coming to town, and we were about to clinch homefield throughout the playoffs. It was fantastic. This year doesn't compare, 2005 was like a dream, at least until February 2nd.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
For me, it's 2005 and not it's not even close.

In 2005 at this time, it was "we are going to win the SB and there is no team that will stop us" We had the #1 seed locked up and were two playoffs games away from the biggest game ever.

How can 2012 possibly compete with that?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'm actually shocked at the results so far. Absolute craziness to me

morgulon1

Reaction score
2005 was truly a great time but I was going through terrible times personally so it was bittersweet(symphony)? Im living in the now and feel that we haven't reached our potential so there are feelings that were not the powerhouse that 2005 was. Does that make sense?

rideaducati

Reaction score
I am definitely more excited about this year's team. This team just feels special. The 05 team beat a lot of bad teams and good teams playing their backup QBs. The 05 team seemed to be a finesse team on both sides of the ball. This year's team will punch other teams in the mouth and other teams aren't willing to fight back. It has taken a while for this team to mesh together and play well, but not nearly as long as the 05 team did. How many years were we waiting for the 05 team to show up? This year's team has shown up earlier than most expected.

GO HAWKS!!

Seeker

Reaction score
I really feel like this seahawks team would slaughter the 2005 team. too physical. djack,dj hackett, engram, aren't gonna be able to deal with the legion. shawn would get his yards thanks to walt/hutch on the left. maybe even a touchdown. but more than likely get injured by halftime having to carry the ball so much.

God old day hawks: 14
Doomsday hawks: 31

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The 2005 team was a team at their peak. They were just unstoppable when they needed to score. The defense was a big time QB pressure D that was extremely disruptive.

The 2012 team is on the rise still. They are loaded with flat out ballers. Guys like Tate, Okung, Unger, McCoy, Sherman, Earl, Kam and grown even more since their first year. The rookies are amazing. Irvin, Wilson and Wagner are just incredible for the little experience they have in the league. This on top of the young vets continuing to maintain their play.

Where the 05 team was laden with experience, the 12 team is laden with talent, skill and youth. They are basically just bruisers with exceptional speed. We are just being rewarded by their rapid development with some wins that some didn't think we would get out of them.

For me, this team is dangerous because it is like playing with house money. They are extremely confident yet composed, having a lot of fun and know that they can beat anybody.

I think if the 2005 team played the 2012 team, the 2005 team would win, but not by much and they would all be on pain meds and icing up after the game.

Next year is going to be special, really special. This year I am just enjoying the ride.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I too don't really see a huge similarity. The 2005 team had a lot more vets. This team is very young. I think as perhaps to be expected is getting better week to week. They have some growth issues but they seem to get over them

This team I really am enjoying. We have not played a bunch of < .500 teams instead we have played and beat some of the best.

kearly

Reaction score
Given how the current team is statistically better than the 2005 version (and it's not even that close), and given that Holmgren's teams always struggled against physical heavyweights, I'm pretty sure the 2012 team would kick the crap out of the 2005 version in a head to head game. I also think our long term future is much brighter now than it was in 2005. I can't comment on the 1983 team, but at least during my time as a Seahawks fan, the 2012 version is the best, most compete Seahawks team I have ever watched.

That said, I think I have to vote 2005 for one simple reason: By week 16 in 2005 Seattle already had the #1 seed in the bag. This team has very faint hopes for the #2 or #3, but it's more likely that they'll end up at #5 or #6. In 2005 the Seahawks faced the #5 and #6 seeds (both at home) before facing a #6 seed in the Superbowl. It was literally the easiest path to a championship possible. By comparison this year's team might end up having to beat three of the top 4 NFC seeds (in a year when the NFC is loaded), and then move on to the big game to potentially face the best Patriots team to lose a game in the regular season or the best Denver team, maybe ever*, and Denver's been to 5 Superbowls. All on the road. It doesn't get much tougher than that.

So I think 2005 would be the honest answer, even if I think that 2012 is clearly the right answer from a big picture perspective.

*that reminds me, holy hell did we dodge a bullet when Manning spurned the Cardinals.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3rany2nu said:
There really is no comparison to make. We haven't made the playoffs yet this year.

That was the point of the question. It's. Not about this full year vs that full year, it is a gauge of how we felt as fans at this point in each season. Personally I felt invincible that season, this year I feel really great about this team and believe we can beat anyone but I don't have the same level of enthusiasm as I had in 2005. Thought it would make an interesting topic that can be revisited this offseason to see if feelings change.

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I voted this year because I think we are the begining of something great, I just have this feeling that the 2010s decade is going to be for the Seahawks, what the 2000s were for the Patriots, what the 90s were for the Cowboys, what the 80s were for 49ers, what the 70s were for the Steelers, what the 60s were for the Packers. In 2005 I just felt we were in a 2-3 year window and remember Holmgren was in his 7th Season and everyone was at his peak at that time.