Simple Q. Is Wilsons season the best ever for a Seahawk QB?

Best season for a Seahawk QB ever?

• Russell Wilson

Votes: 57 38.8%
  • Matt Hasselbeck

Votes: 81 55.1%
  • Dave Krieg

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Jim Zorn

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Rick Mirer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

schkoot

Reaction score
Not Wilson yet. Maybe someday...

Krieg was my childhood idol and will be tough to unseat. Not impossible though.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1daa4ixg said:
As a first year player Wilson is ten times better than Hasslebeck was as a first year player.

As time goes on Wilson will continue to prove to be the better player.

Wilson makes others better. Hasselbeck didn't.

:th2thumbs: Is it fair to compare a rookie to Hass in 2005 and 2007? Wilson has a unique attitude that I have not seen in any Seahawk Rookie! The "deal" will be sealed if he can "win out" this year.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Until its over I will reserve comment. We have had some players with really good first year play. Hass was good but Krieg , Mier had really good years, his rookie year was as good as Wilson. One of the most entertaining single games I saw the Hawks play was against KC and Moon was the QB.

kearly

Reaction score
Based on the eyeball test, I have to go with Wilson. This is the most efficient offense Seattle has ever had. Fewer big plays, but more 10+ play drives. At least that's what it feels like. Even Hasselbeck at his best would have a facepalm worthy game every 5th game. Since becoming fully acclimated, Wilson just doesn't have those.

If Pete had trusted Wilson with the offense much sooner, this might not be a discussion worth having. Since week 6 or so Wilson has basically been Aaron Rodgers, if Aaron Rodgers had read option in his tool kit.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
I was watching the Dan Patrick show tonight, and he's got Rich Eisen on the line. They are chatting about NFL awards and get to the ROY candidates. Turns out Rich thinks Russell Wilson will win with the way things are going and then goes on to say, and not only say but try to persuade Dan Patrick into understanding, why he thinks the Seahawks are 100% going to the SuperBowl this year.

Thought I would share in case any missed it, the buzz going around is pretty exciting, I hope this weekend ends the way I'm expecting it to man!! Go Seahawks!

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Until Wilson sees a super bowl...I'm gonna have to side with 2005 Matt Hasslebeck. No one else has even sniffed a ring...yet. ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":37zf39bv said:
I have yet to see any inkling of "Spazzlebeck" tendencies with RW. Just sayin'
In all fairness though, shouldn't RW's record be compared to Hasselbecks first years record with the Seahawks?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
scutterhawk":mfmf1ubf said:
SacHawk2.0":mfmf1ubf said:
In all fairness though, shouldn't RW's record be compared to Hasselbecks first years record with the Seahawks?

Yes and Wilson absolutely blows him out of the water.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Matty H was my idol, but I dont get how anyone can say him.. I mean in 05 he had that monster of a running game, how could he not be successful? not to mention that protection. Wilson really has none of that

Largent80

Reaction score
I'm not reading the posts in this thread but I would guess the majority of them say that Matt got us to the SB, therefore 2005 makes his the best.

I think Wilsons first year is better. He was supposed to be the backup and all he has done is become a sensation. It took Hass years to be what Wilson is now.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
I think people are trying to compare rookie seasons between the two; the post asks the best QB season ever....not best season by a rookie. Wilson will be better by far, but I don't think he's had the best season ever (as of yet).

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
scutterhawk":558gb68u said:
SacHawk2.0":558gb68u said:

When the question is whether this is the best season ever for a Seahawks QB, no of course not.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":3l1v7qzs said:
I'm not reading the posts in this thread but I would guess the majority of them say that Matt got us to the SB, therefore 2005 makes his the best.

I think Wilsons first year is better. He was supposed to be the backup and all he has done is become a sensation. It took Hass years to be what Wilson is now.

Most are saying 2007 was Hass's best year. He had to do everything that year, as he had no real line, and no running game. It was hurry up, quick hitters, and getting beaten into the turf with zero support. Ruskell was worse at finding offensive lineman than Jack Z. is at finding hitters.

BASF

Reaction score
themunn":mtl4nos3 said:
It's a tough one
That said, New England, Detroit, Miami, Chicago x 2, I don't ever remember Hasselbeck driving down the field for a go-ahead TD with <5 minutes left 5 times in a single season (even if 3 of those leads were lost or tied in the end), nor do I ever remember a Hasselbeck-led team putting up 50 points in a single game, let alone 2 in a season (even if Wilson was not the major factor in the Arizona game).

Hass had 5 game winning drives (four of them come from behind victories) in 2006 alone.

The problem I see with using the term ever regarding quarterbacks is the difference in the game during eras. The passing game is so much easier now then it was during Zorn and Krieg's playing days. Back then you could mug a WR down the field compared to what they allow nowadays. Players complain about how physical Sherman and Browner are, but they wouldn't be considered all that physical during the 70's and 80's. Also to be considered for the amount of INT's that Zorn threw, there were a lot of DB's using Stickum legally before it was banned in 1981. There were definitely cases of our AFC West opponents still using it after that.

My answer to the question is no, that distinction belongs to Hasselbeck in 07. However, I fully expect that next season the answer will be absolutely.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Yep, my mind has. It was a toss-up to me, considering that Hass had a little better stats (TDs/Ints/yards), but RW compensated with rushing yards and those 3 rushing TD's. Last nights game tipped the scales, IMO.

I am a huge Matt H fan. He's been my wife's favorite player. I think she's starting to like Wilson even more than Matt.

I definitely believe (barring 5 int's next game, which I don't see happening) that Wilson has had the best season ever for a Seahawk QB.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2zeqs6tq said:
Hass put up way more yards, so gotta give it to him. Russ will start having bigger games next year though

I didn't realize yards were more important than TDs. Gotta go with Wilson based on that alone. Not to mention just what he does with his legs. I won't go into anything else because i do not think yards are everything. What matters is putting up points on that scoreboard he has put up more than Hass.

Rainger

Reaction score
Hass was great but his 2005 season was against all losing teams. He only played 4 games against winning teams that year and only 1 top team D. I will always love the 2005 season because we got to the SB and we had 13 wins but:

Wilson has done what he has done against way better compition and no way was Hass able to do what RW does. It is still early because we are comparing 1 year vs a QB that is in the hearts of Fans because he was with theam for a long time.

I believe RW is better and if you ask this question in 3 years it will be near 100 percent RW.