Wilson, Carroll, Bevell.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
sc85sis":13xk34io said:
Only one team has had a perfect season including winning the Super Bowl, and that team had 2 fewer games to play in the regular season.

There will always be ebbs and flows, ups and downs. No coach will be perfect nor will any player. They are human beings. Sometimes we need to take a step back, breathe deeply and remind ourselves of that fact.

Good point, losses will happen.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3hgepe50 said:
At different points this season, this forum has been dominated by:

1. Wilson needs to be benched for Flynn

2. Darrell Bevell isn't doing a good enough job

3. When will Pete Carroll be on the hot seat

As we prepare for the biggest game of the season so far, the following is true:

1. Wilson is a legit candidate for offensive rookie of the year, breaking multiple records this season while looking every bit a franchise quarterback.

2. Bevell has organised the offense from which Wilson has excelled and been able to achieve his success. The team also has one of the best rushing attacks in the league, has been creative and conservative at various times and has executed the type of trick plays that seemed to beat us all the time in the Holmgren era. Our offense has produced long, 80-90 yard drives but has also mastered the quick strike. The guy deserves a lot more credit.

3. Carroll inherited a hopeless team with zero identity going absolutely nowhere fast. And he's one win away from guaranteeing two playoff appearances in three seasons with that same team, having built a fine identity, core of franchise players, found a franchise quarterback. The list goes on. He's turned the Seahawks into a contender that people are starting to say could make the Super Bowl this season. A truly remarkable job.

Three people who have been knocked during the course of the year, all doing fantastic jobs for this team.

You knocked number 2 around the same time I was, but I agree with you for the most part, until (if) the offense stops working.

themunn

Reaction score
I still can't forgive the coaching staff for the offensive playcalling in Miami

-The Glove-

Reaction score
themunn":1s62ov4k said:
I still can't forgive the coaching staff for the offensive playcalling in Miami
The run plays in that game were horrible

hoxrox

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":16dbn1pb said:
At different points this season, this forum has been dominated by:

1. Wilson needs to be benched for Flynn

2. Darrell Bevell isn't doing a good enough job

3. When will Pete Carroll be on the hot seat

Good topic.

#1 Only during games 1-4 when Wilson tended to overthrow and miss open receivers. He's grown up faster than anyone could have imagined.

#2 I'd credit Cable more for the rushing attack than Bevell. PC has said that Bevell is more in charge of the passing game, while Cable draws up the running plays. Before the read option came about, Bevell was still too predictable in his play calling.

#3 This was kneejerk and reactionary. I'd still like to see Carroll improve on in-game situations, and defensive adjustments though.

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Didn't the offense start clicking after Bevell implemented the read-option that Shanahan had been using all year with RGIII? Could it be that play alone that has opened up everything else? No research on my part, just wondering out loud.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Bevell will still be criticized even as we are playing for the Super Bowl. Whomever calls the offensive plays will get ripped, everybody has their own opinion on how to call a game offensively, defensively, not so much. It's something I fought vehemently against early in the season, but eventually I just gave up. People see what they want to see.

I was guilty of #1, very very guilty. I just didn't see this coming at all.

sc85sis

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":267bpa53 said:
Didn't the offense start clicking after Bevell implemented the read-option that Shanahan had been using all year with RGIII? Could it be that play alone that has opened up everything else? No research on my part, just wondering out loud.
Technically that was Pete, or at least the film study and decision were his. Bevell implements it in the game plans of course.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I think the guys that were get on Bevell had their ears plugged. PC said on many occasions that it was he holding back the offense in order to bring RW up slowly. Yet Bevell got blamed for the lack of dynamic play calling. The training wheels are off and Bevell shines.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
v1rotv2":wgx4fkod said:
I think the guys that were get on Bevell had their ears plugged. PC said on many occasions that it was he holding back the offense in order to bring RW up slowly. Yet Bevell got blamed for the lack of dynamic play calling. The training wheels are off and Bevell shines.

Did PC tell Bevell to call a draw play on 3rd and 2 after Beast Mode gashed the Rams for a couple big runs? It's not his entire offense as a whole that I complained about. He has some really good drives and then nothing for a long time. Where the play calls were mind boggling. Just look at almost every drive getting towards the end of the first half. And then look at our opening drives. Totally night and day.

Now with that I'll be the first to eat crow about Bevell. Since the Miami game, he's been great. Still has some "WTF" moments but he has been calling up more creative plays. Yes, a lot of that has to do with the training wheels coming off, but as many have said, a conservative called game doesn't mean you have to be predictable.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Don't forget we have a terrible WR corps. (Rice-Tate ranked as a top 5 receiver combo in the NFL)

Hawks46

Reaction score
I was guilty of #1, and thought Flynn would be a better starter this year than Wilson.

Sure glad I was wrong.

I think the way they handled WIlson and the offense was almost perfect. Maybe 1-2 games earlier they could've cut it loose more, but we don't see what they do in practice and on films, so it's easy for us to critisize.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
After the Miami game there was one guy that declared he was done. ...don't remember his name but he missed a lot of fun since he quit the hawks.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2m1xa9pi said:
Am I the only one smirking with all you guys talking about being guilty of number 2?

Why the smirk? I don't recall you being some big Bevell advocate, standing up for him and making threads about it, and stuff.