Wilson, Carroll, Bevell.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
At different points this season, this forum has been dominated by:

1. Wilson needs to be benched for Flynn

2. Darrell Bevell isn't doing a good enough job

3. When will Pete Carroll be on the hot seat

As we prepare for the biggest game of the season so far, the following is true:

1. Wilson is a legit candidate for offensive rookie of the year, breaking multiple records this season while looking every bit a franchise quarterback.

2. Bevell has organised the offense from which Wilson has excelled and been able to achieve his success. The team also has one of the best rushing attacks in the league, has been creative and conservative at various times and has executed the type of trick plays that seemed to beat us all the time in the Holmgren era. Our offense has produced long, 80-90 yard drives but has also mastered the quick strike. The guy deserves a lot more credit.

3. Carroll inherited a hopeless team with zero identity going absolutely nowhere fast. And he's one win away from guaranteeing two playoff appearances in three seasons with that same team, having built a fine identity, core of franchise players, found a franchise quarterback. The list goes on. He's turned the Seahawks into a contender that people are starting to say could make the Super Bowl this season. A truly remarkable job.

Three people who have been knocked during the course of the year, all doing fantastic jobs for this team.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
All of these are impressive. Pete Carroll is coach of the year. I don't care who the actual award goes to.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I always thought the Bevell criticism was unfair and premature. I always thought he did a great job designing interesting plays and now that he has the QB to execute - we can see his scheme at work.

As for the other two, I think the Wilson talk finished up very very quickly. To have an entire fan base on board with a 3rd round rookie QB by about week 8 is phenomenal.

Lastly, the Pete Carroll criticism would be much louder if we had not won the last three game and lost two more game on the road. I thought the season could have gone either way after Miami as losing to that team after a bye was inexcusable. I said at the beginning of the year that we needed to make the play-offs this year and not be an also-ran. I think we have proved that.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":htm09dpq said:
I always thought the Bevell criticism was unfair and premature.

Even looking back on it it's difficult too know whether or not this is true. Did Wilson develop the way he has because of the limitations placed on the offense during the first few weeks? Entirely possible.
However it's also possible that he was capable of doing what he's doing now all along, or at least much earlier than he was allowed to display it this season. We'll never know.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1v5wii83 said:
Even looking back on it it's difficult too know whether or not this is true. Did Wilson develop the way he has because of the limitations placed on the offense during the first few weeks? Entirely possible.
However it's also possible that he was capable of doing what he's doing now all along, or at least much earlier than he was allowed to display it this season. We'll never know.

Maybe he was capable of that - but too many people assumed the conservative stuff earlier in the year was all on Bevell. Carroll has been quite open in stating he was behind that. If anything, I think the shackles are off Bevell as well as Wilson. If Bevell was a big name like Tom Cable, people would be raving about what he's done here.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Bevel and Bradley get roasted here simply because they do what PC tells them to do.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Wait until we lose 2-3 games ... and some voices will get louder than others ...

mikeak

Reaction score
I say we were right saying Bevell should have opened up the offense sooner. We should have a 12-2 record if this forum did the playcalling :D

The Radish

Reaction score
mikeak":1uq0q5qc said:
I say we were right saying Bevell should have opened up the offense sooner. We should have a 12-2 record if this forum did the playcalling :D

Or maybe 2-12

Its really tough on these people that hind sight isn't even in their favor.

and I've been guilty of complaining. I still am worried about our run D. But have realized its probably better when struggling than our entire 05 season.

:les:

sc85sis

Reaction score
Only one team has had a perfect season including winning the Super Bowl, and that team had 2 fewer games to play in the regular season.

There will always be ebbs and flows, ups and downs. No coach will be perfect nor will any player. They are human beings. Sometimes we need to take a step back, breathe deeply and remind ourselves of that fact.

Reaction score
I'm still guilty of #2 and will be as long as we setup in empty sets on 3rd and short - sure I love it when it works, but I think that Marshawn could generally make most of those conversions in his sleep.