Jason Jones on IR; DT Hebron Fangupo promoted

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Scruggs is looking decent as a rotational player. I was not all that impressed with Jones. He never had a great push I think his knee is still healing. For Scruggs all he really has to do is watch his gap and get a good push.

noflyzone

Reaction score
On a side note, is.that WR Bryan Walters the same one that was just on the Vikings? If so, he went to high school with me in Kirkland. Hope he can make the 53 some day.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jones was very disruptive early in the year. He simply doesn't have a lt of miles left in those legs, though. Thus the one year deal.

Pstark3

Reaction score
When i first saw this i was really really worried. then i thought to myself "Is Russell Wilson worried?" then I calmed down.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
I just believe if Hebron can play the run effectively, and eat up some space, then why not get him some playing time, especially with Branch being hobbled.

seahawks08

Reaction score
He doesn't look like a speed guy, but is a decent A gap guy. I think the key is not to get false starts as this is his first real game in NFL, so being the start, false start penalties is something to watch for.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I love this place. Within minutes of the breaking news of Jones being placed on IR we've got highlight videos of a dude named Hebron Fangupo. That's awesome!

Thanks for the find!

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video. :th2thumbs:

In that video, Hebron looks powerful in a disruptive sort of way. Doesn't have NFL pursuit speed (of course) but looks quick to shed blocks, change directions and get hands up. Surprised at his versatility in that video. BYU lined him up everywhere.

I think Brandon Mebane, Red Bryant, and Alan Branch will welcome a little help going into week 16 against the 49ers. Certainly can't hurt.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3gemcbz9 said:
Fun fact: Hebron Fangupo lived in Tanzania from until he was 12 years old.

There's a world of difference between Tonga and Tanzania...

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
To be honest Jones sees most of his time on pass downs. Looking at the forecast we can expect a lot of run Sunday and I'm sure the Rams will do the same. Scruggs has done pretty well as a pass rusher.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":3dexswci said:
jammerhawk":3dexswci said:
Shark you are very astute about these Utah & BYU guys so I hope you're right and he's a beast on Sunday. I too was excited about Fangupo when they acquired him, he could be a sleeper. It's now time for Jaye Howard to demonstrate he was worth a 4th round pick and deserves to play as a pro.
I'm a huge Florida fan, and watched a lot of Jaye Howard, and the talent is there. There were times he had my mouth drop, but he always struggled with inconsistency. I wonder if that is still an issue for him, as there were times he would just disappear.

And shark, people are getting me excited on Fangupo, you have a player comparison. i just wonder his story, and why he is a PSder?

Hebron is a Mormon kid, so this is my specialty. He went to USC for two years (I am 99.9999999% certain Pete recruited him). He left because he wasn't happy, just as Uona Kavienga did (they both left USC and came to BYU). Hebron did 2 years at USC, then a year at a JC, then got enrolled at BYU and got one last year, and what a year it was. He was a stud all season, and I was really pleased to see him get here.

He's still pretty raw because of the moving around thing, and the grades stuff, but he DID get an invite to the combine and did fairly well there. Kaveinga played this year and was also impressive. Pete got 3 really solid BYU soft commits in Fangupo, Kaveinga, and Stanley Havili to switch to USC and nobody begrudged them. They want to maximize their chances, but on the flipside, not all Mormon kids are entirely comfortable at USC. The atmosphere is a bit much. Havili made it work fine, but then again he was a starter due to the 4 guys above him on the depth chart getting hurt (and yes, the 5th back on USC's depth chart then was an NFL player... that should tell you how loaded Pete made those teams and what an eye for talent he has).

Anyway... Fangupo is a space eater. I'm trying to think of who to compare him to. Not so much Brandon Mebane, but similar. He's not a tall guy like Jones or Branch. He played nose tackle in college in a 3-4 or a 3-3-5 and did really well creating pressure. He moved outside at times as well to give different looks. He's very football intelligent and has a good feel.

The reason he's a practice squadder is this... in my opinion. His jumping around in college hurt him in the eyes of some GM's. His practice speed and game speed are also different. I guess he's a "gamer" and one of those guys that rises to the occasion. It seemed like any time BYU needed a big play, he'd be the guy making it. He just has a nose for the ball and the runner, and when the QB is dancing around he'll get coverage sacks. I guess if I had to say one guy he's similar to it would be Rocky Bernard or maybe even Sam Adams. Although he's much more consistent. Where Rocky and Sam would be Cortez the second one play, they'd look like a little leaguer the next. Hebron does not take plays off... but he also doesn't show flashes of Cortez either. I mean... who really does? But he does show ability in the same way that Brandon Mebane does to get into the backfield, or to clog up the center and both guards (and yes, I've seen him take on a triple team and love it).

So don't be surprised if he comes out and plays pretty well. He's a good kid. Works hard. He will give you everything he has. The Island guys always do. Think of Manu Tuiasasopo. That guy was all heart all the time. Hebron is kind and mellow, but you get his adrenaline up and 60,000 people screaming and he gets going. I can remember him getting the crowd louder and louder and louder. The guy would get Lavell Edwards stadium into a frenzy, and to earn that kind of respect only playing one year at the school is pretty huge. I've watched him for a long time.... followed his process since high school. I was stoked when we signed him, and I hope he makes me look like I know what I'm talking about and plays the way he's capable of, because he can most definitely play football. I have zero worries about whether or not Hebron will know what he's doing or how to do it. Side note... he has played against Kaep before.... 2 years ago Nevada came to BYU and played and won (their very special season). Hebron played well in that game from my vantage point, but Kaep ability to run put a ton of pressure on the 3 man front, and the LBers had to do a ton of the work as usual. I think he may really excel in a 4 man front, and even better he may free Mebane up to do more in the backfield because Hebron is clogging up traffic and holding Kaep from galloping up the middle for big yards.

We shall see... let's hope for the best. But if you want to vote for a truly good guy to have a great game, then Fangupo is your man. I am certain he is loved by teammates and coaches alike, and a lot of his development is just learning to play in a 4-3. I am sure he has it down now, and like I said... if the deal with Jones didn't work out late (the one year contract) I have every reason to believe that Hebron would have made the final roster. But... Jones took the one year deal to try to build his value, and Hebron got the practice squad spot.

Atradees

Reaction score
From the video he looked to me like a powerful guy that was indeed versatile. He was lined up all over the place.

He is low to the ground and can take on the double team (an Old Miss double team)

Plenty of push, not much technique to break away from the blocker other than power. See hands.

Probably comparable to Chartric Darby. My guess is that would help Mebane get push.

edit: I am just a fan-no expert certainly.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Chuck Darby would be a good comparison. I'd throw in Norman Hand as well. Both were good at containing. I thought in college that at worst he could be as good as Colin Cole, but then Cole had an inexplicable dropoff and I thought Hebron would be like the Colin that played in Green Bay. Just disruptive and a great piece to a good defense. We shall see. Good call on the Darby comparison.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":31gwu1ga said:
BAllenHawk":31gwu1ga said:
jammerhawk":31gwu1ga said:
Shark you are very astute about these Utah & BYU guys so I hope you're right and he's a beast on Sunday. I too was excited about Fangupo when they acquired him, he could be a sleeper. It's now time for Jaye Howard to demonstrate he was worth a 4th round pick and deserves to play as a pro.
I'm a huge Florida fan, and watched a lot of Jaye Howard, and the talent is there. There were times he had my mouth drop, but he always struggled with inconsistency. I wonder if that is still an issue for him, as there were times he would just disappear.

And shark, people are getting me excited on Fangupo, you have a player comparison. i just wonder his story, and why he is a PSder?

Hebron is a Mormon kid, so this is my specialty. He went to USC for two years (I am 99.9999999% certain Pete recruited him). He left because he wasn't happy, just as Uona Kavienga did (they both left USC and came to BYU). Hebron did 2 years at USC, then a year at a JC, then got enrolled at BYU and got one last year, and what a year it was. He was a stud all season, and I was really pleased to see him get here.

He's still pretty raw because of the moving around thing, and the grades stuff, but he DID get an invite to the combine and did fairly well there. Kaveinga played this year and was also impressive. Pete got 3 really solid BYU soft commits in Fangupo, Kaveinga, and Stanley Havili to switch to USC and nobody begrudged them. They want to maximize their chances, but on the flipside, not all Mormon kids are entirely comfortable at USC. The atmosphere is a bit much. Havili made it work fine, but then again he was a starter due to the 4 guys above him on the depth chart getting hurt (and yes, the 5th back on USC's depth chart then was an NFL player... that should tell you how loaded Pete made those teams and what an eye for talent he has).

Anyway... Fangupo is a space eater. I'm trying to think of who to compare him to. Not so much Brandon Mebane, but similar. He's not a tall guy like Jones or Branch. He played nose tackle in college in a 3-4 or a 3-3-5 and did really well creating pressure. He moved outside at times as well to give different looks. He's very football intelligent and has a good feel.

The reason he's a practice squadder is this... in my opinion. His jumping around in college hurt him in the eyes of some GM's. His practice speed and game speed are also different. I guess he's a "gamer" and one of those guys that rises to the occasion. It seemed like any time BYU needed a big play, he'd be the guy making it. He just has a nose for the ball and the runner, and when the QB is dancing around he'll get coverage sacks. I guess if I had to say one guy he's similar to it would be Rocky Bernard or maybe even Sam Adams. Although he's much more consistent. Where Rocky and Sam would be Cortez the second one play, they'd look like a little leaguer the next. Hebron does not take plays off... but he also doesn't show flashes of Cortez either. I mean... who really does? But he does show ability in the same way that Brandon Mebane does to get into the backfield, or to clog up the center and both guards (and yes, I've seen him take on a triple team and love it).

So don't be surprised if he comes out and plays pretty well. He's a good kid. Works hard. He will give you everything he has. The Island guys always do. Think of Manu Tuiasasopo. That guy was all heart all the time. Hebron is kind and mellow, but you get his adrenaline up and 60,000 people screaming and he gets going. I can remember him getting the crowd louder and louder and louder. The guy would get Lavell Edwards stadium into a frenzy, and to earn that kind of respect only playing one year at the school is pretty huge. I've watched him for a long time.... followed his process since high school. I was stoked when we signed him, and I hope he makes me look like I know what I'm talking about and plays the way he's capable of, because he can most definitely play football. I have zero worries about whether or not Hebron will know what he's doing or how to do it. Side note... he has played against Kaep before.... 2 years ago Nevada came to BYU and played and won (their very special season). Hebron played well in that game from my vantage point, but Kaep ability to run put a ton of pressure on the 3 man front, and the LBers had to do a ton of the work as usual. I think he may really excel in a 4 man front, and even better he may free Mebane up to do more in the backfield because Hebron is clogging up traffic and holding Kaep from galloping up the middle for big yards.

We shall see... let's hope for the best. But if you want to vote for a truly good guy to have a great game, then Fangupo is your man. I am certain he is loved by teammates and coaches alike, and a lot of his development is just learning to play in a 4-3. I am sure he has it down now, and like I said... if the deal with Jones didn't work out late (the one year contract) I have every reason to believe that Hebron would have made the final roster. But... Jones took the one year deal to try to build his value, and Hebron got the practice squad spot.
Good stuff man! I hope your right because a space eater is what we'll need if Branch is hobbled or a no go.

Atradees

Reaction score
SharkHawk":271g4q1l said:
Chuck Darby would be a good comparison. I'd throw in Norman Hand as well. Both were good at containing. I thought in college that at worst he could be as good as Colin Cole, but then Cole had an inexplicable dropoff and I thought Hebron would be like the Colin that played in Green Bay. Just disruptive and a great piece to a good defense. We shall see. Good call on the Darby comparison.

You reminded me of Colin Cole. I had high hopes for that guy. Thought he might blossom into a Sam Adams type based solely on his size probably.

Latest posts